FORUMS: list search recent posts

SSD Prices Halved Since Last Year

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Richards
SSD Prices Halved Since Last Year
on Jun 22, 2012 at 3:40:27 pm

Via Ars Technica.

This is a great trend- HDDs peaked in terms of performance several years ago, and storage is now the single most significant bottleneck in any modern computer. As the price:capacity ratio on SSDs continues to rapidly improve, HDDs will be relegated more and more to nearline duty.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: SSD Prices Halved Since Last Year
on Jun 22, 2012 at 3:59:10 pm

[Andrew Richards] "storage is now the single most significant bottleneck in any modern computer"

I dispute this claim's truth in our niche here. I think way more people run into CPU bottlenecks than storage bottlenecks for video production work -- especially with all the heavily compressed camera formats in use today.

Even when storage is a bottleneck, HDD RAIDs are a more cost-effective solution for most of us than SSDs since capacity also matters in video.

I won't argue that SSDs have all the forward momentum, but I think that today, most of us would benefit from a hybrid approach of SSDs for boot (or any high IOPS work) and HDDs for media.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Jun 22, 2012 at 4:43:40 pm

[Walter Soyka] "I won't argue that SSDs have all the forward momentum, but I think that today, most of us would benefit from a hybrid approach of SSDs for boot (or any high IOPS work) and HDDs for media."

Completely agree, and I roll that way today. I was just soothsaying.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 22, 2012 at 4:47:51 pm

[Andrew Richards] "Completely agree, and I roll that way today. I was just soothsaying."

Understood. I don't disagree with the sooth you say.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Bernard Newnham
on Jun 22, 2012 at 4:01:02 pm

There's a how-to here -
http://macintoshhowto.com/hardware/how-to-speed-up-your-mac-with-a-ssd-driv...

I don't know Carbon Copy Cloner, but I know that Clonezilla does a good job.

B

Bernie

Return to posts index

Bernard Newnham
on Jun 22, 2012 at 4:04:09 pm

"I won't argue that SSDs have all the forward momentum, but I think that today, most of us would benefit from a hybrid approach of SSDs for boot (or any high IOPS work) and HDDs for media."

Not huge amount of choice about that - you don't get much media on 120Gb.

Bernie

Return to posts index

Lemur Hayop
on Jun 22, 2012 at 8:27:56 pm

Mostly I read that boot times are faster with SSD. Does SSD do more than boot faster? Will it speed up video rendering? Booting up fast isn't a big deal to me. Maybe it's real important to other people.

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Jun 22, 2012 at 9:07:29 pm

[Lemur Hayop] "Does SSD do more than boot faster?"

It removes all the lag from your interactions. Apps launch much faster, in many cases instantly. Documents open instantly. QuickView previews appear much more quickly. Finder browsing is lag-free. Spotlight searches return results immediately. Most of the beachballs you get are the OS waiting for storage to catch up to operations. You'll see much fewer beachballs when you boot from an SSD.

[Lemur Hayop] "Will it speed up video rendering?"

It doesn't make computational stuff happen much faster (rendering, transcoding, etc), but all those little lags add up, and once you've spent time on an SSD-booted system and go back to an HDD-booted system you really notice the lag.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Don Walker
on Jun 22, 2012 at 11:53:13 pm

[Andrew Richards] "It removes all the lag from your interactions. Apps launch much faster, in many cases instantly. Documents open instantly. QuickView previews appear much more quickly. Finder browsing is lag-free. Spotlight searches return results immediately. Most of the beachballs you get are the OS waiting for storage to catch up to operations. You'll see much fewer beachballs when you boot from an SSD."

Would all that be true if a 2008 MacPro had a SSD as a boot drive?

don walker
texarkana, texas

John 3:16

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Jun 23, 2012 at 12:09:09 am

[Don Walker] "Would all that be true if a 2008 MacPro had a SSD as a boot drive?"

I put one in my 2006 Mac Pro and it definitely made everything snappier. It really feels like an upgrade when you put one in an older machine. My OWC SSD died on me after about 10 months of use. I've never had a mechanical hard drive die on me. They replaced it under warranty, but make sure you back up!

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Jun 23, 2012 at 12:36:03 am

[Jason Jenkins] "My OWC SSD died on me after about 10 months of use. I've never had a mechanical hard drive die on me. They replaced it under warranty, but make sure you back up!"

I've had the inverse experience, but regardless- always backup!

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Jun 23, 2012 at 12:33:29 am

[Don Walker] "Would all that be true if a 2008 MacPro had a SSD as a boot drive?"

Yep! And if you aren't using your 2nd optical bay, you can put the SSD boot drive in there with this kit and have all four main bays for media HDDs.

Also, since the Mac Pro's SATA bus is the older SATA 3G, you can get your SSD for less $/GB than the newer SATA 6G models. Look at the Intel 320 or the OWC Electra 3G. I've had good luck with an OCZ Agility 2 in my wife's old MacBook as well, but I've also read horror stories about OCZs failing prematurely.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Mark Wilson
on Jun 23, 2012 at 3:12:22 am

I'm looking at installing SSD's in my Mac Pro. I was reading about Trim support in Raid 0 configuration, is this a big factor when choosing SSD drives?

Thanks,

Mark Wilson

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Jun 23, 2012 at 3:34:19 am

[Mark Wilson] " I was reading about Trim support in Raid 0 configuration, is this a big factor when choosing SSD drives?"

TRIM lets the OS tell the SSD's controller what it is doing so the SSD controller can perform its own garbage collection and thus extend the life of the SSD. Apple supports TRIM for its own SSDs, but as far as I know not for 3rd parties. There is a utility for enabling it, but I haven't used it.

TRIM is sort of redundant on any SandForce-powered SSD (OWC, OCZ, Intel 520, among others), since SandForce reserves cells for indepentent garbage collection without input from the host OS.

As far as RAID support goes, make sure your SSD choice is specifically qualified for RAID duty. Not all are. I'm not well versed on TRIM on RAID-0 striped SSDs. If it is OS dependent, I doubt OS X supports it. If you want more speed in your Mac Pro than you get with a single 2.5" SATA 3G SSD, look at OWC's Accelsior.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Mark Wilson
on Jun 23, 2012 at 7:51:56 am

Andy,

Thanks, I will check out the Accelsior.

Mark

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jun 23, 2012 at 5:45:36 pm

[Andrew Richards] " If you want more speed in your Mac Pro than you get with a single 2.5" SATA 3G SSD, look at OWC's Accelsior."

AS long as you have an open PCIe slot, which are often filled in on a Mac Pro used for editing. So many nice things to add with an available slot - USB3, Accelsior, Esata - so many choices, so few slots.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Jun 23, 2012 at 6:05:36 pm

[Herb Sevush] "So many nice things to add with an available slot - USB3, Accelsior, Esata - so many choices, so few slots."

Too true!

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 23, 2012 at 6:28:03 pm

All this kinda makes an iMac with Belkin's Thunderbolt Dock look attractive.
http://9to5mac.com/2012/06/05/belkin-shows-off-its-updated-thunderbolt-expr...

eSata, three USB3 ports, Firewire 800 port. All this with Thunderbolt pass through so it's not one of the cursed end of chain devices so . . . in effect, using one of those ports doesn't end the chain either as an adaptor would.

Given devices like this, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple drops some ports in return for more Thunderbolt ports on next year's MacPro replacement. This should quell the uproar, in advance, when next year's box has only one Ethernet port, no firewire port but four Thunderbolt ports. But people will complain about having to use a "dock" to add connectivity and how Apple is abandoning the Pros by leaving such connectivity to third parties.

Gee, Craig sure knows how to go off topic on a thread! Sorry but this is how my brain works. Hmm, maybe it's why I like FCPX.

Return to posts index

Mark Wilson
on Jun 24, 2012 at 12:05:21 am

No open slots at this time.

Matrox PCI card
Nvidia 4800 card
Atto express SAS card
Esata card

Mark Wilson
Creative Communications Inc.

Return to posts index