FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is Apple Pro Res 4444 a suitable form for delivery?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Penny Clark
Is Apple Pro Res 4444 a suitable form for delivery?
on Jun 22, 2012 at 8:53:13 am

Hi,

I'm currently doing an edit where the delivery spec is a digital master at 1080p 23.98fps 4:4:4. Would the Apple Pro Res 4:4:4:4 be a suitable way to export my final sequence? Apologies if this is a really basic quesiton!

Any help would be great.
Thanks.

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
Re: Is Apple Pro Res 4444 a suitable form for delivery?
on Jun 22, 2012 at 11:52:03 am

Sure, assuming that is a codec that they can handle at the delivery point.

Brian Mulligan
Senior Editor - Autodesk Smoke
WTHR-TV Indianapolis,IN, USA
Twitter: @bkmeditor

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 22, 2012 at 2:37:44 pm

I agree, but what's your source material?

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Jun 22, 2012 at 2:48:08 pm

[Penny Clark] "Would the Apple Pro Res 4:4:4:4 be a suitable way to export my final sequence?"

ProRes4x4 is RGB... ProRes 422 is YUV (YCbCr to be accurate). Any broadcaster will require YUV for broadcast, so you'd be leaving that color space conversion to each broadcaster. This is something I expect few would have much experience with.

Sending ProRes 422 would be "Apples to Apples" as far as what you see and what gets broadcast.

I believe ProRes4x4 has the ability to be 4:4:4:4 in both RGB and YCbCr, but I don't believe 4:4:4:4 YCbCr is enabled.

John Heagy

Return to posts index

Penny Clark
on Jun 22, 2012 at 3:39:49 pm

Thank you for the responses!

It's not for broadcast, it's going to be on DVD. It's a new thing for me, I've never worked with 4:4:4:4!

The source material is coming for animators so they should be movs.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jun 22, 2012 at 3:44:21 pm

I genuinely can't imagine why they would need a ProRes444 file for authoring a DVD, overkill to say the least

Steve Connor
"The ripple command is just a workaround for not having a magnetic timelinel"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Jun 22, 2012 at 4:04:53 pm

[Penny Clark] "It's not for broadcast, it's going to be on DVD."

Same RGB vs YUV color space issue applies to DVD as well. No consumer deliverable is 4:4:4. The vast majority is 4:2:0 including DVD, BluRay, and h.264 web media.

Return to posts index

Penny Clark
on Jun 22, 2012 at 4:08:57 pm

Ok I'm confused then! Does that mean they've sent me the wrong delivery spec? I was just going off of that!

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jun 22, 2012 at 4:21:53 pm

[Penny Clark] "Ok I'm confused then! Does that mean they've sent me the wrong delivery spec? I was just going off of that!
"

Is what you are delivering the final element before final compression, or is it one more element in what someone else is assembling?

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Jun 22, 2012 at 4:25:23 pm

[Penny Clark] "Does that mean they've sent me the wrong delivery spec? I was just going off of that!"

What is the deliverable spec?

When I said "consumer deliverable" that meant the final end user file on the DVD or web site. The file you send is typically a mezzanine format of higher quality, 4:4:4 is really never that format.

Return to posts index

Penny Clark
on Jun 22, 2012 at 4:30:08 pm

The delivery spec is if it's tape they want 1080p 23.98 4:4:4, it then continues to say a digital master is the same spec as the tape. As we don't have a machine we were always doing an export!

As far as I'm aware I deliver it and then they do the final compression. It shouldn't be going any where else!

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Jun 22, 2012 at 5:30:41 pm

[Penny Clark] "if it's tape they want 1080p 23.98 4:4:4, it then continues to say a digital master is the same "

Sorry I missed that spec in your first email.

4:4:4 from tape is very difficult. It requires a HDCamSR and a 3G or dual link HDSDI capture card. Given the final format will be 4:2:0 it's an odd requirement. If your timeline is all ProRes 444 than fine - if it's not, than I'd ask about ProRes 422. No point in converting 422 to 444 just to eventual go to 420. Sometimes these specs are "shoot for the moon, turn it to 11" overkill. Best to talk to the person doing the encoding.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 22, 2012 at 4:31:18 pm

[Penny Clark] "I'm currently doing an edit where the delivery spec is a digital master at 1080p 23.98fps 4:4:4. Would the Apple Pro Res 4:4:4:4 be a suitable way to export my final sequence? Apologies if this is a really basic quesiton!"

If you have questions on any delivery spec, the best person to answer them is the person you're delivering the files to. We can offer some very well-intentioned theory here on the Internet, but we can't know the specifics of their delivery requirements.

I'd suggest that the following things are important to confirm in a file-based delivery spec:

Container (MOV, MXF, AVI, MP4, etc.)
Video codec and level (ProRes 4444, ProRes 422, DNxHD, H.264)
Video bit rate (if appropriate)
Frame rate
Raster size
Number of audio channels and audio channel configuration
Audio codec
Audio bit rate / sampling rate

Sometimes, there are additional requirements about timecode and slating.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]