FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressor 4 and h.264

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Parke Gregg
Compressor 4 and h.264
on Jun 22, 2011 at 5:26:44 pm

Has anyone had a chance to see if Apple has upgraded/improved its h.264 encoder in the new Compressor 4?

-Parke

-------Stuck On On--------
Audio and Video Post Production

Return to posts index

Kevin P McAuliffe
Re: Compressor 4 and h.264
on Jun 22, 2011 at 5:41:15 pm

Hey Parke,

Not exactly sure what you mean by "upgraded/improved". Compressor, unfortunately, has taken the biggest hit as far as improvements goes. I'll stick with my Sorenson Squeeze and Adobe's Media Encoder for any H264 encoding.

Kevin P McAuliffe
Creative COW Trainer
kevinpmcauliffe@gmail.com
Twitter: @kpmcauliffe

Return to posts index

Eric Michael Cap
on Jun 22, 2011 at 5:49:30 pm

Kevin,

How does Adobe's Media Encoder compare to Compressor in terms of stability, encoding speed, picture quality & format options? What about Avid options?

Return to posts index

Kevin P McAuliffe
on Jun 22, 2011 at 5:54:11 pm

I'll be honest. I was an AME hater. In CS4 it was clunky and slow. In CS5.5, on my 4 year old iMac, it rocks. Super fast, excellent looking encodes. When I produce my tutorials for the COW, and other sites, they are encoded with AME. In many cases I can get 1.5 to 2x's real time with my encodes. Oh, if only I had an 8 core machine! LOL.

Kevin P McAuliffe
Creative COW Trainer
kevinpmcauliffe@gmail.com
Twitter: @kpmcauliffe

Return to posts index

Parke Gregg
on Jun 22, 2011 at 5:58:23 pm

Yeah... that's what I mean... as most know, Apple's implementation of h.264 is not the greatest on the market for both performance and quality. I'm hoping that FCPx and Compressor 4 would up their ante. Has anyone had a chance to do side-by-side comparisons with v4 and v3.5 and/or other offerings like MainConcept/AME or x264?

Thanks,
Parke

-------Stuck On On--------
Audio and Video Post Production

Return to posts index

Paul Kagawa
on Mar 14, 2012 at 5:38:47 am

I did some tests today on Compressor 3 and 4 to H.264 What works for me right now is to output a QuickTime file with current settings then compress with Compressor 3. I went from an agonizing 15 hours for a one hour clip to 2.5 hours. The details are here http://wp.me/p2gorK-1w

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]