Higher frame rates are coming
on Jun 20, 2012 at 1:03:56 am

I thought this was interesting.

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/blu-ray-disc/frame-change-27552

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
Re: Higher frame rates are coming
on Jun 20, 2012 at 3:11:09 am

The Blu-ray specification allows for up to 720p resolution for 60 fps, and the maximum frame rate for the highest resolution available, 1080p, is 30 fps.

Not even 30fps. The specification only allows for 24fps at 1080 progressive. 1080i60 is the next highest frame rate.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 20, 2012 at 3:11:34 am

“The good news is Blu-ray has so much storage potential, it’s just a matter of the BDA releasing another spec and us replacing our Blu-ray players, and maybe even our HDTVs.”

Yes, the good news is that we can replace everything for HFR HD, right before we replace it all again for 4K!

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jun 20, 2012 at 5:37:52 am

[Walter Soyka] "“The good news is Blu-ray has so much storage potential, it’s just a matter of the BDA releasing another spec and us replacing our Blu-ray players, and maybe even our HDTVs.”

Yes, the good news is that we can replace everything for HFR HD, right before we replace it all again for 4K!

Walter Soyka"

Not that they won't work it out, but I heard that the audience that got the preview of the Hobbit reacted quite badly to the speed, and that they were pretty vocal about it. We'll all get our own chance to see, however.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/25/hobbit-Cinemacon-48fps-screening-frame-r...

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Jun 20, 2012 at 1:06:02 pm

[Walter Soyka] "Yes, the good news is that we can replace everything for HFR HD, right before we replace it all again for 4K!"

Are we stopping at 4k? I think it may be a pit stop for non-broadcast, computer displays. Broadcast, and broadcast panels could leapfrog to 8k. That seems to be where NHK is experimenting.

David
AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 20, 2012 at 1:13:00 pm

[David Cherniack] "Are we stopping at 4k? I think it may be a pit stop for non-broadcast, computer displays. Broadcast, and broadcast panels could leapfrog to 8k. That seems to be where NHK is experimenting."

Great point!

UHDTV supports both 4K and 8K. Maybe it'll be like 720 vs 1080 sets today?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]