FORUMS: list search recent posts

MY Modest Proposal

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Shepherd
MY Modest Proposal
on Jun 22, 2011 at 5:02:28 pm

My modest proposal for Apple is let both FCPX and FCP7 co-exist. I know that Apple prides itself on having a product FCP7 that is being used on major Hollywood films and TV shows such as GLEE. When you have the best editors in the world such as Walter Murch and Brad Buecker showing up at FCP events to praise the virtues of the “Flagship” Apple product, why would you want to end FCP, as we know it? Both FCPX and FCP7 can live TOGETHER. I come across young people who have been making “films” for years and have NEVER used a tape-based camera in their lives. Tape is as foreign to them as a rotary phone. They distribute (share) their films on YOUTUBE, IPHONE in some highly compressed format. They have the attention span of a Nat and want to share their heavy effects driven “film” immediately. Then there are others, like myself who is making a feature documentary for years, with 4 TB of material, hundreds of “bins” and a project file of 280mb. I still need FCP7 and I could use NEW upgrades that could make it more stable and less corruptible. I would also use FCPX when I shoot a BTS (behind the scenes) when I need to shoot and get it on the web the same day.

I believe that FCP saved APPLE. I remember being at NAB back in 1999? when AVID announced that they would no longer support APPLE computers. What APPLE engineers did, was to not reinvent the wheel, but reverse engineer the AVID software to the point where they wouldn’t be sued, and released FCP1 that was a small fraction of the cost of AVID software and could only be run on an APPLE computer. People wanted the FCP software, so they bought the hardware. I was one of them.
I am a stockholder in APPLE and a longtime user of FCP. I want the stock to rise and this can only happen by bringing out great new innovative hardware and software.
But this growth can still happen with FCPX and FCP7 growing and evolving TOGETHER.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: MY Modest Proposal
on Jun 22, 2011 at 5:08:49 pm

[Mark Shepherd] "What APPLE engineers did, was to not reinvent the wheel, but reverse engineer the AVID software to the point where they wouldn’t be sued, and released FCP1 that was a small fraction of the cost of AVID software and could only be run on an APPLE computer."

They purchased Key Grip from Macromedia around 1998 and released it as a Mac only product called Final Cut Pro in 1999. It was designed by the same folks that created the original Premiere. Who I believe is not in charge of FCP X and iMovie. There wasn't any reverse engineering going on.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]