FORUMS: list search recent posts

Way WAY OT: Professional enrichment

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Wilson
Way WAY OT: Professional enrichment
on Jun 19, 2012 at 3:24:39 pm

I'm curious about something. You've got a two and a half day training opportunity, something you really want to learn for your professional creative life. Would you be happier about this on weekdays, a weekend, or what?

Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine
Twitter: timdoubleyou

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
Re: Way WAY OT: Professional enrichment
on Jun 19, 2012 at 3:39:56 pm

If its a few days in RED Camp, it wouldnt matter if it was on my anniversary ;)

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jun 19, 2012 at 4:32:24 pm

[Tim Wilson] "I'm curious about something. You've got a two and a half day training opportunity, something you really want to learn for your professional creative life. Would you be happier about this on weekdays, a weekend, or what?
"

Really doesn't matter. When I'm in the thick of things, I don't have weekends, and when things are average, I can always just move things around. A better determiner would be my custody schedule, which I keep trying to convince the rest of the world to pay attention to, but with little luck thus far.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jun 19, 2012 at 4:44:30 pm

Either way if there are no other distractions -- meaning, rushing from a full day of work to take a four hour session is a bit hard.

On the other hand, the human mind needs time to digest and practice before its ready for the next chapter of any course of learning. Pro schools charge a lot for these learn it all in two or three days courses. After x amount of instruction, they become very expensive demonstrations with little retention.
They work for some; not for most.

PS: not saying demos aren't interesting or helpful, just they are better delivered on-demand.

MacPro4,1 2.66GHz 8 core 12gigs of ram. GPU: Nvidia Geoforce GT120 with Vram 512. OS X 10.6.x; Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170, Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jun 19, 2012 at 9:08:53 pm

While weekends sound better I will say the few crash courses I have taken were on weekdays. If it's for professional use, then I make time for it during the week.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 20, 2012 at 12:40:16 am

I'd like it to be in the countryside where we all have to pedal stationary bicycles to keep the computers powered by rechargeable battery.

You have to fly fish to catch your meals, and all cooking is done over a wood fire.

It should start on a Wednesday afternoon.

Ok maybe not, but seriously, countryside, fly fishing (regardless of catch), wood fires, and Wednesday afternoon should remain.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 20, 2012 at 1:34:48 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "I'd like it to be in the countryside where we all have to pedal stationary bicycles to keep the computers powered by rechargeable battery. "

So this is why everyone is so excited about editing on laptops and iMacs! Do you have any idea how many Clif Bars and Gatorade bottles I'd need to keep a sizzle core beast and eight-spindle RAID rocking and rolling for two-and-a-half days?

Seriously, for me, I'd rather book training time during the week. It's hard enough to keep the weekends production-free for family time as it is.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]