FORUMS: list search recent posts

Its much worse than we thought

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Herb Sevush
Its much worse than we thought
on Jun 22, 2011 at 5:01:50 pm

I advise everyone to listen to the podcast between Walter Biscardi and Richard Harrington -

"Why We Can't Use Final Cut Pro X at Our Companies"

http://library.creativecow.net/harrington_biscardi/FCPX/1

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
Re: Its much worse than we thought
on Jun 22, 2011 at 5:09:49 pm

It's "jaw dropping" alright. Unbelievable.

bigpine

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jun 22, 2011 at 6:30:50 pm

It's the scale of what Apple has done - they've killed an industry standard. The podcast makes the point that the next major release may well be two years away. And please let no one tell me apple are going to magically remember that they killed all the pro features and do a six month update to restore all the mission critical features they threw out.

This line says it all - "this is a product for people who need to edit video, but editing video is not their job"

Look at the application - just look at it - imovie media storage, imovie importing controls, imovie timeline, no custom frame rates, no custom frame sizes, no outputting XML or OMF, no RED support, no P2 support, can't read timecode, can't output timecode, quicktime export options are limited to pro res and H264, no custom wavs or aiff's no controls for them at all, no multicam, no track designation, a completely ludicrous storyline, second storyline metaphor, clip collision detection is on all the time, the application runs badly in quite recent hardware, no ability to share projects, insane "see all the media and projects you've ever made" in the event viewer, no ability to pause or fork autosave, god it just goes on and on and on.

In short: Apple threw out an unbelievable number of mission critical professional features, and added in an endless stream of prosumer ones: auto everything on import, vastly over simplified sequence slash project setting, a fisher price timeline that's constantly holding your hand and Facebook, Vimeo and CNN ireport at the root of the share menu.

Apple are telling us what this application is. It's a prosumer tool. There is no volume licensing, there is no ability to backup the installer, it's just, it's mindbending.

They have completely screwed the broadcast and corporate editing community that spent ten years growing with the tool. FCP isn't coming back, they didn't forget to include all the brass tacks professional features - they dropped them. They'll say vaguely reassuring non-commital things about it being a 1.0 application to stem the bad PR, and in a sense, they're right, it is a 1.0 application. the broadcast, film, post production, corporate editing tool we've had for a decade is dead. Apple just killed it.

I shouldn't say sociopaths, but for apple to just grin and stick the knife in so far to the creative community .. it's mindboggling.

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Peter Blumenstock
on Jun 22, 2011 at 6:46:21 pm

I agree with you but let's be realistic here: it was all wishful thinking and hoping up to yesterday but the writing's been on the wall for years.
Back in the early day, Apple bought new technology left an right. DVDdirector, Spruce, Emagic, NothingReal, Silicon Color. There was an Xserve Raid, an XServe, Apple was at trade shows and actually talked to professional users.
Bit by bit it all dissapeared, with no decent replacement. It is time to wake up and simply face the facts. Apple has become a candy colored consumer oriented toy store and that's it. That's where the money for them is, that's where their future is. And with FCP X being a single monitor app that cannot even interface with any external hardware and post houses taking their business back to Avid or Premiere the next step is equally obvious: bye bye Mac Pro. I'll bet that in two years from now that piece of hardware is history, too.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jun 22, 2011 at 6:46:47 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "I shouldn't say sociopaths, but for apple to just grin and stick the knife in so far to the creative community .. it's mindboggling."

No but seriously Aindreas, you love it really, don't you?!

Great post, whether you agree with it or not!

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jun 22, 2011 at 6:58:12 pm

It's just sort of sinking in, I'm actually going to have to learn Avid, and bloody Premiere. I mean, for the love of God.

I really sort of deeply hate Apple right now - It's all those sanctimonious Jobs walk arounds under those liberal arts and the sciences road sign banners.
Apple couldn't give two tinkers damns about the liberal arts or the creative community - we're just the group of people they financially feed on.

Christ, I really wish they had sold FCP now. remember those rumours?

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

J Hussar
on Jun 22, 2011 at 6:48:11 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "It's the scale of what Apple has done - they've killed an industry standard. The podcast makes the point that the next major release may well be two years away. And please let no one tell me apple are going to magically remember that they killed all the pro features and do a six month update to restore all the mission critical features they threw out.

This line says it all - "this is a product for people who need to edit video, but editing video is not their job"

Look at the application - just look at it - imovie media storage, imovie importing controls, imovie timeline, no custom frame rates, no custom frame sizes, no outputting XML or OMF, no RED support, no P2 support, can't read timecode, can't output timecode, quicktime export options are limited to pro res and H264, no custom wavs or aiff's no controls for them at all, no multicam, no track designation, a completely ludicrous storyline, second storyline metaphor, clip collision detection is on all the time, the application runs badly in quite recent hardware, no ability to share projects, insane "see all the media and projects you've ever made" in the event viewer, no ability to pause or fork autosave, god it just goes on and on and on.

In short: Apple threw out an unbelievable number of mission critical professional features, and added in an endless stream of prosumer ones: auto everything on import, vastly over simplified sequence slash project setting, a fisher price timeline that's constantly holding your hand and Facebook, Vimeo and CNN ireport at the root of the share menu.

Apple are telling us what this application is. It's a prosumer tool. There is no volume licensing, there is no ability to backup the installer, it's just, it's mindbending.

They have completely screwed the broadcast and corporate editing community that spent ten years growing with the tool. FCP isn't coming back, they didn't forget to include all the brass tacks professional features - they dropped them. They'll say vaguely reassuring non-commital things about it being a 1.0 application to stem the bad PR, and in a sense, they're right, it is a 1.0 application. the broadcast, film, post production, corporate editing tool we've had for a decade is dead. Apple just killed it.

I shouldn't say sociopaths, but for apple to just grin and stick the knife in so far to the creative community .. it's mindboggling.
"

WOW! You summed it up for me. That is exactly it. Spelled out. And you are right - it is literally sociopathic on Apple's part - complete bait and switch. Totally acting like they were doing us a favor while stabbing us in the back.

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jun 22, 2011 at 7:00:29 pm

Unlike some others, Walter and Richard are not paid shills for Apple, and neither is David.
These guys are true optimists, and agnostic about their tools.
But when you have lost them, that should tell you something right there.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

I have a system, it has stuff in it, and stuff hooked to it. I have a camera, it can record stuff. I read the manuals, and know how to use this stuff and lots of other stuff too.
You should be suitably impressed...

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 23, 2011 at 6:00:58 am

[Scott Sheriff] "Unlike some others, Walter and Richard are not paid shills for Apple, and neither is David.
These guys are true optimists, and agnostic about their tools.
But when you have lost them, that should tell you something right there."

Nice of you to mention me Scott, especially as I've been completely out of the loop today and really did not contribute to the nice job that Walter and Richard did in their recorded dialogue.

The bottom line is, I did try to remain optimistic throughout Apple's information drought over the last few months, and I even defended the developers, in spite of warning I'd received that disappointment was assured. However, I never imagined the release could possibly wind up being so bad, and that a company as good as Apple could handle this as poorly as they have.

I rather disgusted at this point, and I at a loss at this point as to what to say or what to do. Seriously, the whole situation has left me speechless.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new tutorial: Prepare for a seamless transition to FCP X and OS X Lion
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/FCP-10-MAC-Lion/1

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

David Roche
on Jun 22, 2011 at 8:42:40 pm

This really shouldn't come as a surprise. Apple has a history of yanking the rug out from under users and business partners. Remember when Steve Jobs returned to Apple from exile a few years ago? The first thing he did was kill off all of the Mac clone manufacturers. No telling how many millions were lost by those guys.

The realistic half of us who saw the preview at NAB knew this was coming. The other half were just gaga over it like anything Apple introduces. (For the life of me, I can't understand Apple worship.)

It's too bad they did just sell FCP to a company like AJA that understands the production business and how to take care of their customers.

Avid Media Composer is a great editor and many of us will move that way and really like it. Avid's tech support, by all accounts, still stinks. Apparently, even a near-death experience at the hands of Apple didn't change them.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jun 22, 2011 at 8:47:10 pm

[David Roche] "Avid Media Composer is a great editor and many of us will move that way and really like it"

Let's not get too carried away. After working on FCP, AVID is still pretty horrible to use, they loathe their customers even more than Apple and always have done, and lots of the "cool new stuff" like AMA simply doesn't work remotely reliably. I've got it in my toolbag already but I'll still be using FCP7 for as long as I can as my first port of call.

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]