FORUMS: list search recent posts

Out with the old - A trip to the recycling centre

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Dobson
Out with the old - A trip to the recycling centre
on Jun 17, 2012 at 11:15:17 am

So I'm having an office clear out and I've come across boxed versions of FCP going back to 2002 - whilst I'm obviously going to keep the latest boxed version of Final Cut Studio 7, it seems I have little alternative than to take a trip down to the local recycling centre and get rid of all of these very substantial boxes of very detailed manuals.

They are totally useless to me as I prepare to install yet another operating system in a month or so. I'll keep the software and documentation but the rest really needs to go.

And what beautifully produced boxes and manuals they are, really comprehensive and thorough.

Its fascinating to compare these historical artefacts with the ephemeral version we now have. This simply comprises of downloaded software and PDFs.

Apples decision to release it's software via the app store will save a sizeable quantity of trees no doubt but I can't help feeling a bit nostalgic for these weighty boxes and I'm having difficulty actually throwing them away.

Out of interest I'd really like to here if others have hoarded their old versions of whether they got rid of the old was soon as they got the new?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Out with the old - A trip to the recycling centre
on Jun 17, 2012 at 2:44:21 pm

Heck I just got rid of my EditDV/CineStream software and packaging.

Return to posts index

Douglas K. Dempsey
on Jun 17, 2012 at 4:41:44 pm

Funny but a school just gave our town public access some old gear, and one item was Final Cut 4. Turns out the disks are not even there, but the nostalgia of lifting and ready the hefty manuals is the real treat. You can't beat printed manual for the ability to flip between two or three pages or sections at once, apply labeled post-its to tab your favorite short cuts, or just to lay back and read a section till you fall asleep -- and then wake up the next AM and remember it all!

Doug D

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Jun 18, 2012 at 11:46:47 am

Just trashed old MC, Adobe CS, and a slew of misc software (boxes and media) in the recycling bin carefully handled of course :)
but I will never part with my Alias, Softimage and original COSA After Effects boxes ;)

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Jun 18, 2012 at 7:13:58 pm

I helped write the manuals for Final Cut Studio.
Now I'm writing manuals for Premiere Pro and After Effects.
My, how times have changed!

Kevin Monahan
Sr. Content and Community Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Jun 18, 2012 at 11:45:45 pm

Haha well at least you dont have to write the part about AFP and Quicktime files over 2GB anymore ;)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]