FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Pro X - Soundtrack Pro dumped?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Trygve Roos
Final Cut Pro X - Soundtrack Pro dumped?
on Jun 22, 2011 at 4:29:13 pm

I've been using Soundtrack Pro for editing soundscapes, i.e. recordings made in nature, mostly containing birdsong and or other natural sounds. The files I edit are large, often more than a gigabyte. Soundtrack has been sluggish and somewhat unstable, but it has done the job (slowly). I have been waiting for years for a 64-bit version, until now my investment in my 8GB memory has proven useless.
Now it seems that Apple has integrated Soundtrack functions into FCP X, and thus making it very difficult or cumbersome to use for professional audio editing.

Any suggestions to what vendor I could switch?

Trygve Roos, DPhil, Facile Publishing (right now using my 41st Mac)

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
Re: Final Cut Pro X - Soundtrack Pro dumped?
on Jun 22, 2011 at 4:49:44 pm

I like PEAK from Bias

http://www.bias-inc.com/

Return to posts index

Eric Michael Cap
on Jun 22, 2011 at 5:05:58 pm

Avid's Media Composer seems to have more built-in "Pro" Audio features IMO with some borrowed Pro Tools functionality, plug-ins and seamless PT file exchange if you're working with outside Pro Audio guys. Adobe's Audition seems to be a little more STP-like DIY App...hopefully more stable. Also has OMF/XML for Pro Tools file exchange. Either way you'll be have much better audio editing/mixing than exists in the V1 of FCPX. Heck you can't even export audio to Pro Tools or Logic without a $500 3rd party plugin right now.

Return to posts index

David A Fenton
on Jun 22, 2011 at 5:37:15 pm

I would bet that Apple is combining Logic and Soundtrack into one app.

Return to posts index

Buddy Couch
on Jun 22, 2011 at 5:41:30 pm

I would bet David is correct.

Return to posts index

Andrew Karczewski
on Jun 22, 2011 at 7:28:06 pm

Probably equals Garage Band Pro aka sound offerrings inside #FCPXFAIL

Return to posts index

Trygve Roos
on Jun 23, 2011 at 1:34:10 pm

Well, one outstanding feature of the venerable Soundtrack Pro is the view where it displays the frequency spectrum. Editing soundscapes (very, very large files) it takes for ever if you have to listen through the whole recording and fix temporary noises, like pops, cars driving by, aircrafts passing over you etc. Having done this work for years, I have developed the skill of an X-ray doctor to quickly see from the 'X-ray' (frequency spectrum) picture what is wrong without having to listen to the recording until I find the problem. Deleting the problem section or filtering noise is much easier when you see the frequency, not only the amplitude. I don't know of any reasonably priced software that would contain that kind of a feature.
If anybody knows of such software, I'd be very happy to get advice. Meanwhile I try to manage with the slow and unstable Soundtrack Pro.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]