FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tim Cook taking it on the chin...all the way to the bank

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
TImothy Auld
Tim Cook taking it on the chin...all the way to the bank
on Jun 13, 2012 at 9:19:57 pm

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/06/13/tim-cook-feels-the-wrath-of-the-appl...

Tim

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: Tim Cook taking it on the chin...all the way to the bank
on Jun 13, 2012 at 10:28:58 pm

Time for a poorly advised and inaccurate analogy.

Hypothetically, the Scuderia Ferrari (who make race cars and exotic sports vehicles) could get told by FIAT sPa (their holding company) to put those expensive F1 cars on hold, because we have identified a market for a Cinquecento with a prancing horse on the hood that will sell in the millions of units. Of course, those caterwauling Grand Prix drivers won't win anything for several years because there are several other teams who are actually hungrier for victory --- but that doesn't matter to us, the Ferrari brand is sacred and cannot ever be marred by filthy lucre, because it is a religion and our faithful tifosi will never leave us -- but meanwhile we can make an @$$-load of cash. Wouldn't you buy a thousand-dollar Ferrari? It would still be a real Ferrari -- don't you dare say I'm not a PRO.

What do you think that other visionary, Enzo, would make of that?
Yes, he only wanted to make race cars and actually held the sedan-buying aficionados in contempt. They only bankrolled his real efforts.

Too bad the phone/toy company can't see it -- the way would otherwise be clear to make something truly special, funded by the hobbyists, but they really think they are changing the world with the igadgets. Well, people are amusing themselves to death... I guess that's a change.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jun 13, 2012 at 10:34:02 pm

To be fair, they are changing the world in a small way with the iGadgets and making a ton of cash. Obviously they could REALLY change the world if they gave us important creative people a new Mac Pro now.

Steve Connor
"The ripple command is just a workaround for not having a magnetic timelinel"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Jun 13, 2012 at 11:47:18 pm

I could not care in the slightest if they change the world or if it is their intention to change the world. That is their own business. I want them to create solutions that work in my world. In the last year or so they have not doing so good in that department.

Tim

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Jun 14, 2012 at 1:18:38 am

[Joseph Owens] "What do you think that other visionary, Enzo, would make of that?"

Are you implying that Steve Jobs would not be steering Apple the way it has gone the past 18-24 months?

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jun 14, 2012 at 1:37:46 am

[Andrew Richards] "[Joseph Owens] "What do you think that other visionary, Enzo, would make of that?"

Are you implying that Steve Jobs would not be steering Apple the way it has gone the past 18-24 months?
"

My two cents--this is Steve all the way. With a bit of Larry Ellison thrown in. And hey, Apple makes cool things (though I'm not sure I'm overly crazy about the global corporate mainframe, er, uh,... cloud we are all being pushed into, but seems too late to worry about that.) I really don't know that workstation even SHOULD be a part of where they are going. I've got no problem at all if they want to walk away from them. But, if they do that, they should release ProRes, or at least sell it cross platform.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jun 14, 2012 at 1:28:33 am

[Joseph Owens] "It would still be a real Ferrari -- don't you dare say I'm not a PRO."

ROtFL

Return to posts index

John Joyce
on Jun 14, 2012 at 2:49:37 am

Looks to me like the end of Tim Cook's honeymoon with the business media.

He can expect a lot of questions from now on.

Some scribblers may even have sufficiently poor manners to allude to the introduction of IBM's PC in 1981, and IBM's record loss, the largest in American corporate history at the time), in 1992.

Good luck with the secrecy strategy, Tim.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]