FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can we talk about the Retina MBP for just one second?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy Garchow
Can we talk about the Retina MBP for just one second?
on Jun 12, 2012 at 10:00:57 pm

Yesterday was a really weird day for me.

It was not what I expected and perhaps, I should have expected that. In my mind, I was wrong about a lot of things, and my hopes were up for at least a really smoking iMac. I was kind of resorting myself to this potential future.

I have been wrong publicly here on this forum, and I apologize for being a doofus.

I am glad the speculation can now be based in more facts before this forum dissolves in to PC switchers and their "cheap" new hardware, virus scanners, and Google Sync. Godspeed to us all.

Moving on from that, have you taken a look at the Retina MBP specs?

What is this thing? It's as if Apple has suddenly returned to the garage and started soldering CPUs to motherboards. IN a way, I am very taken aback. There isn't anything like this in this form facotr anywhere. In other ways, it's very limiting.

The bad: The Ram is not replaceable, hell, the whole thing is not replaceable. This isn't good for a mobile beast. And what about developers? Don't they usually run a few different OSes? I run a few different OSes and I am a video plebe. If we decide to stick with OSX all the way

The good: This is beyond SSD where you shove all the data down some sort of pipe. This is attaching the nitrous tank right to the carburetor. On Apple's website, they are claiming to play 4, 8bit Uncompressed HD streams of video and 9 ProResHQ (both 1080p24) from the boot "drive". That is pretty insane.

Nvidia of some sort

HDMI out

The rest is a Thunderbolt adaption, or if you're in to USB3, then it's also a USB3 hub.

The point: Didn't Apple buy a flash chip maker a year or so ago? Is THIS, then, the future of Apple hardware? All flash all the time? They control the internals, and intel/Thunderbolt gives control to the externals? Next year we will see a flash based desktop with perhaps some PCIe slots, or maybe, just maybe, a new revision of thunderbolt?

I'm exhausted about thinking about this stuff. I have less idea of what to do then on June 21st, 2010. Part of me doesn't care about what Apple's future may entail, and then I start to think about a facility switch to Windows, and I start to care a little more again.

I need a truly mobile workstation until about the fall. The Retina MBP might just fit that ticket, but it makes me a little uneasy at how inaccessible it is, and unproven, but it sure seems to be a powerhouse in a small form factor.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
Re: Can we talk about the Retina MBP for just one second?
on Jun 12, 2012 at 10:04:58 pm

I'm sure Apple would love to make the iPhone-replacement-equivalent in their traditional computing line, where people update every 1-2 years.

I just ordered the 16GB RAM upgrade for my 17" (price dropped to $160 at OWC) and recently replaced the spinning mechanical drive with an SSD. I think the new MacBook Retina looks interesting, but I would have to purchase it fully stocked up front because there is no upgrade option. Therefore, if I do end up with a similar model in the future, it will probably be 1-2 revisions from now, depending on how things shake up.

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Jun 12, 2012 at 10:13:17 pm

I'm in the same boat - a little shell-shocked still. I'm sitting here thinking the same thing about the new MacBook - trying to total all the stuff I can sell to get one - MacPro 2,1, 30" Dell, my Dreamcolor? Kona 3, ioExpress? I really have to see the retina display and determine if I can work on it - since it has HDMI out you can attach just about any monitor including my Dreamcolor - or just grab a new Apple 27"? Maybe the display is easier on the eyes than current dual LCD set-up?

Head spinning, need sleep...

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Irvine, California

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jun 12, 2012 at 10:19:51 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "I have been wrong publicly here on this forum, and I apologize for being a doofus."

What are you, a newbie or something. Nobody apologizes on this forum, not now, not ever. Plus I haven't seen or heard the word doofus since I got out of high school - is the plural doofi or doofusses or doofusi?

"Never apologize, it's a sign of weakness."
John Wayne, "She Wore A Yellow Ribbon"

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 12, 2012 at 10:22:44 pm

I apologize for apologizing?

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jun 12, 2012 at 10:25:54 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "I apologize for apologizing?"

No. Its Herb that needs to apologize. And, since we know he won't do it, I'll apologize for him. And THAT is something I will NOT apologize for.

I think I covered all bases there.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jun 12, 2012 at 10:21:07 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Part of me doesn't care about what Apple's future may entail, and then I start to think about a facility switch to Windows, and I start to care a little more again."

Yup.

[Jeremy Garchow] "I need a truly mobile workstation until about the fall. The Retina MBP might just fit that ticket, but it makes me a little uneasy at how inaccessible it is, and unproven, but it sure seems to be a powerhouse in a small form factor.
"

Its a cool looking thing. I want one. I just don't know the degree to which I'm on board any more. Of course, even if you order today, it looks like it will take a couple of weeks to a month to get it. My personal choice, with something like that is to wait awhile, for there WILL be bugs.

But, yeah--in general I'm feeling about how you are. Which way is up? I think its a little to the left. The Usher album is pretty good.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jun 12, 2012 at 10:24:14 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "PC switchers and their "cheap" new hardware, virus scanners, and Google Sync."

In reverse order...

Google Sync works great on Macs.

I haven't loaded anti-virus software onto a Windows machine ever. I'm sure that people here have. I haven't met anyone face to face who has. OS-level protection is fine.

Both a new 15" MBP and HP8560w will run you $4000-ish loaded for bear. Of course you can buy RAM and upgraded drives from non-mfr sources and come out ahead, and the HP at that price includes the Dreamcolor display, and you can get a nicely configured 17" in a similar price range...and me being a dick aside, there's a ton of Mac stuff that an HP doesn't. I'm just saying that I think we've clearly established in this forum that there's no cheap lunch with a pro machine from anyone. Nobody talking about building their own laptop.

And part of the debate is where you can find a better future. Everything's fair game. LOL

But generally speaking, just looking at the MBP on its own terms, without reference to anything but itself... I agree with you that it's a unique combination of "Unreal!!" and "Really?"

I certainly agree that the future is all solid state, especially in that form factor. Is a spinning drive even possible? Even if so, you'd torch the weight and battery life. Having lived with SSD drives for a while now, they're so fast it looks like a mistake. Reboot? Blink and you miss it. I think you're gonna go nuts for it.

[Chris Harlan] "Which way is up? I think its a little to the left. The Usher album is pretty good."

Ha! I SWEAR I was about to start and Usher thread!!!!

Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine
Twitter: timdoubleyou

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 12, 2012 at 10:40:04 pm

[Tim Wilson] "and me being a dick aside, there's a ton of Mac stuff that an HP doesn't. I'm just saying that I think we've clearly established in this forum that there's no cheap lunch with a pro machine from anyone."

It's not only that. I will need FCS3, probably FCPX, and CS6. The first two aren't possible on Windows, the last I would need to repurchase, or upgrade something to Creative Cloud. Then I will need all the other OSX stuff that I don't have Windows upgrades for and repurchase that shit. Then all of a sudden, it's not so cheap. Although, these days, I think pretty much everything I have is cross platform save a few bits and bobs.

Portability is key this time around as I'll need to work from where ever is convenient.

By the time that period is over, I will have to think about desktops again.

[Tim Wilson] "Even if so, you'd torch the weight and battery life. Having lived with SSD drives for a while now, they're so fast it looks like a mistake. Reboot? Blink and you miss it. I think you're gonna go nuts for it. "

I have one SSD machine, it's awesome. I expect this to be even faster as it's not locked to SATA. 4 streams of UC HD on an internal chipset? WTF? Too bad I can't stick 4 arrays in there and get a couple of TBs out of it.

Hmm, sounds kind of like a NYTimes 2013 iMacPro possibility. I really wonder if these flash chips are Apple made.

I will have to go see one of these Retina's first. One month lead time will be just about perfect. If not I'll slum it out for a 17" quad core MBP if I can find one.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 12, 2012 at 10:43:39 pm

[Chris Harlan] "The Usher album is pretty good."

Ha! Sweet!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 12, 2012 at 11:16:25 pm

I was THIS CLOSE [ ] to getting a retina display MacBook Pro. But a couple things stopped me.

- Apps need to be written to take advantage of the display if they are to appear full size, full quality. Any non-retina apps might appear slightly fuzzy, because the pixels are doubled. Something like that. That's what I heard...

- The RAM is not upgradable. Sodered to the Motherboard. Buy the RAM now, or no upgrade! And if the RAM goes bad...sorry, new motherboard.

- It ships in 2-3 weeks. You can buy it NOW, but not "available" for a few weeks. And it might ship with Mountain Lion...not Lion...because of that. My current apps run on Lion, and in some cases specific versions of Lion...so I need to stick with that, until the update is cleared.

- glossy display only. Sorry, I just cannot do a glossy display. RARELY am I in "ideal conditions" when I use my laptop to edit.

- I'd need a butt-load of adapters. I have Firewire drives, and eSATA drives. And I occasionally connect to the tower via Ethernet to access my CalDigit HDOne drive. IF I wanted to do ANY of that, I'd need 3 adapters. The current, updated MBPs have all those connections.

I was close...on the verge of clicking the PURCHASE button. But then switched to the standard, updated MBP, added the MATTE display...more RAM, and got that. I'll swap out the drive with an SSD later.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 12, 2012 at 11:58:33 pm

[Shane Ross] "- Apps need to be written to take advantage of the display if they are to appear full size, full quality. Any non-retina apps might appear slightly fuzzy, because the pixels are doubled. Something like that. That's what I heard..."

I'm not overly concerned, but I have to check it out. I hear there's a slider that changes the screen res. Also unlike iApps that were developed for a really small screen, regular OS applications will be a bit different.

[Shane Ross] "- The RAM is not upgradable. Sodered to the Motherboard. Buy the RAM now, or no upgrade! And if the RAM goes bad...sorry, new motherboard."

Yeah, this is one of my concerns. 16GBs is in my future, but the inaccessiblity is a new one.
[Shane Ross] "- glossy display only. Sorry, I just cannot do a glossy display. RARELY am I in "ideal conditions" when I use my laptop to edit. "

I read today that since they redesigned the screen, there's no front glass like on other machines. They knocked the glare down by 75% or something. I'll believe it when I see it. I don't like glossy either.

[Shane Ross] "- I'd need a butt-load of adapters. I have Firewire drives, and eSATA drives. And I occasionally connect to the tower via Ethernet to access my CalDigit HDOne drive. IF I wanted to do ANY of that, I'd need 3 adapters. The current, updated MBPs have all those connections."

My life is a buttload of adapters. It doesn't scare me.

How are you planning to esata on your new 15" without an express card? For me it will be the Sonnet TBokt to express card adapter. I'll need an Ethernet adapter too for SAN when it's in the office. Again I'm not scared of adapting, it's part of my gig.

[Shane Ross] "I was close...on the verge of clicking the PURCHASE button. But then switched to the standard, updated MBP, added the MATTE display...more RAM, and got that. I'll swap out the drive with an SSD later."

Did you ever find a real live retina yesterday?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 13, 2012 at 12:10:23 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "
How are you planning to esata on your new 15" without an express card? For me it will be the Sonnet TBokt to express card adapter."

Yeah, that is the ONE adapter I'll have to get. But I had to have an Express34 to eSATA card, so that doesn't scare me either.

[Jeremy Garchow] "Did you ever find a real live retina yesterday?"

Nope. They won't be in the Apple Stores for a month, at least. Special order only at this point...online store. I guess I shoulda gone with it, but I didn't want to wait 3 weeks, and I don't want Mountain Lion on it.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 13, 2012 at 12:33:26 am

[Shane Ross] "Nope. They won't be in the Apple Stores for a month, at least. Special order only at this point...online store. I guess I shoulda gone with it, but I didn't want to wait 3 weeks, and I don't want Mountain Lion on it."

Oh, wow. I thought they'd at least have a floor model. Good to know.

You made a good choice, it will still be a kick ass laptop.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jun 13, 2012 at 1:16:59 am

[Shane Ross] "Yeah, that is the ONE adapter I'll have to get. But I had to have an Express34 to eSATA card, so that doesn't scare me either.
"

FWIW, the LaCie eSATA TBolt adapter is working well for me.

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on Jun 13, 2012 at 1:57:22 pm

[Shane Ross] "The RAM is not upgradable. Sodered to the Motherboard."

I've read about this, but has that been confirmed? By Apple or a tear down?

I can see the benefit of not having a connector, in terms of reliability issues. But I wonder how many issues they really have with this.

However, that means they have to build two different boards. Not one board and install the required memory. That seems like an expensive sourcing/logistics issue. That does not seem like a good trade off for Apple.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jun 12, 2012 at 11:05:11 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "I am glad the speculation can now be based in more facts before this forum dissolves in to PC switchers and their "cheap" new hardware, virus scanners, and Google Sync. Godspeed to us all."

Yes, it'd be tough to switch to a Windows platform and have to deal with malware like this.

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on Jun 13, 2012 at 2:02:58 pm

You need a bigger gauntlet, or something. Nobody seems up to your challenges.

Don't give up hope. Sooner or later somebody's gotta step in.

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
on Jun 12, 2012 at 11:07:41 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "I'm exhausted about thinking about this stuff. I have less idea of what to do then on June 21st, 2010. Part of me doesn't care about what Apple's future may entail, and then I start to think about a facility switch to Windows, and I start to care a little more again."

Jeremy,

I think part of the equation is what you're talking about: this is the way Apple does it. If you want to rely on them long term, get used to the new normal. Because next June might be a lot like this June.

The alternative is a transition period and a different set of problems.

I've spent the past 2 years slowing weening myself off Apple software to cross platform solutions (for all my computing needs).

Franz.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 12, 2012 at 11:15:30 pm

[Franz Bieberkopf] "The alternative is a transition period and a different set of problems."

And a lot of money. I'm glad I was smart and got the cross platform SAN amidst all this BS.

[Franz Bieberkopf] "I've spent the past 2 years slowing weening myself off Apple software to cross platform solutions (for all my computing needs)."

Is it just you editing, or do you have others to look after and support?

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
on Jun 12, 2012 at 11:34:05 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Is it just you editing, or do you have others to look after and support?"

Jeremy,

I'm solo - as are the people who rely on me for advice about their systems. So we don't share all the same problems.

I'm sympathetic to your situation and interested in your problems and the possible solutions.

I'm just amazed that people would consider anything but stop-gap measures involving Apple at this point.

Franz.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 13, 2012 at 12:23:26 am

[Franz Bieberkopf] "I'm sympathetic to your situation and interested in your problems and the possible solutions."

Thanks, Franz.

I don't want to overstate it, but I'd be lying if I told you it wasn't a big concern. It's not like I'll have to sit over anyone's shoulder, but I will have to figure out problems and learn the quirks.

[Franz Bieberkopf] "I'm just amazed that people would consider anything but stop-gap measures involving Apple at this point."

Well, this would just be a laptop. Even in 6 months if an all Windows future becomes crystal clear, I'll still get great use out of it in my personal life, and if need be, can always bootcamp it.

When I said Apple was back in the garage, I meant that in a good way. I do not mind innovation. This laptop represents that to me. At the same time, Apple has it locked up pretty tight. I am not a hacker, or a power junkie. I need what I need to get the job done and it doesn't need to be the hugest beast of a machine. I'm an fcp7 user, speed is not what I'm used to. :)

These modern applications are becoming less and less efficient. I see them as developing for ever increasing system requirements and therefore money, not developing smarter. I'm going to wait as long as I can, I'm sure I won't miss much in that time unless fcp8 is released on Windows. :)

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Lemur Hayop
on Jun 12, 2012 at 11:58:03 pm

Soldering RAM means you'll buy a MBP now and again when 16gb is paltry. Furthermore 1gb VRAM today is paltry. How can future Retinas and FCPX not demand more VRAM to progress? Today's MBP is an expensive short-term investment.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 13, 2012 at 12:09:33 am

[Lemur Hayop] "Soldering RAM means you'll buy a MBP now and again when 16gb is paltry. Furthermore 1gb VRAM today is paltry. How can future Retinas and FCPX not demand more VRAM to progress? Today's MBP is an expensive short-term investment.
"

I hear you.

My current MBP can only accept 8GBs of RAM and has a 512MB VRAM that has zero CUDA status despite the Nvidia tag. The new RMBP has double of both of those plus CUDA.

What kind of VRAM can you get out a 4.5 pound PC laptop? I ask because I don't know.

How long do you see as short term?

Return to posts index

Lemur Hayop
on Jun 13, 2012 at 1:05:32 am

With FCPX, which seems to have fairly low system requirements, maybe three years. I think other NLEs, motion graphics, and especially games won't cut it that long.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 13, 2012 at 1:08:28 am

2 years?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 13, 2012 at 1:12:21 am

Holy shit.

A commercial for the retina just played.

Guess what app was featured? Twice?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 13, 2012 at 1:31:45 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "I have been wrong publicly here on this forum, and I apologize for being a doofus."

It's really funny you should say that -- I felt that you were right and I was wrong, and that I owed you an apology for my doofus insistence that Apple still gave a damn about performance.

These announcements were just bizarre. Even the people who were right feel like they were wrong. Further, there were people who disagreed with each other (like Tim and Shane), but who were both right. Crazy.

Back to the new MBP.

I'm probably not known here for warm and fuzzy feelings toward Apple, but I think there's a lot to like in this laptop. That looks to be a lot of power for the size, and who doesn't like more pixels?

I'd think about replacing my current 2010 17" MBP with one, but I absolutely need to see it first. I hate the glare on glossy displays (I do have a couple glossy laptops, but I've always kept my main laptop with a matte display).

Also, the retina display could cut both ways. On the one hand, I'm excited about all that resolution; on the other hand, I'm worried that pixel-doubling (or is it quadrupling?) will drive me batty until retina support is common. A 1440x900 display is not enough, and a 2880x1800 is too much unless the app is built for it.

Going from three USB ports down to two bums me out. Three was sometimes too few, so two will have me carrying a hub or maybe some kind of Thunderbolt device.

[Jeremy Garchow] "The bad: The Ram is not replaceable, hell, the whole thing is not replaceable. This isn't good for a mobile beast. "

Is this really so bad? The only time I've ever replaced the RAM in a laptop was when I didn't max it out at purchase. Otherwise, I keep them pretty much the same as when I purchased them.

I field-stripped a G3 Pismo once (only took about 5 hours), but even pre-next generation designs are nowhere near as modular as old, slow, clunky, huge laptops were, so what's really user serviceable anymore?

[Jeremy Garchow] "I need a truly mobile workstation until about the fall. The Retina MBP might just fit that ticket, but it makes me a little uneasy at how inaccessible it is, and unproven, but it sure seems to be a powerhouse in a small form factor."

Does it make a difference that it doesn't ship for another month?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 13, 2012 at 3:18:48 am

[Walter Soyka] "I'd think about replacing my current 2010 17" MBP with one, but I absolutely need to see it first. I hate the glare on glossy displays (I do have a couple glossy laptops, but I've always kept my main laptop with a matte display). "

I hear you. I will have to see this in action, too, but supposedly for a glossy display, the press says that it's pretty damn close to matte. I will also need to see non retinaed(?) apps on the retina.

[Walter Soyka] "Is this really so bad? The only time I've ever replaced the RAM in a laptop was when I didn't max it out at purchase. Otherwise, I keep them pretty much the same as when I purchased them.

I field-stripped a G3 Pismo once (only took about 5 hours), but even pre-next generation designs are nowhere near as modular as old, slow, clunky, huge laptops were, so what's really user serviceable anymore?"

I have had Ram go bad on the road. It sucks. This computer couldn't even stand an emergency trip to a local ram shop. It would need to be repaired. So, it's a wild card. Maybe RAM that's soldered to the board is better? I don't know.

[Walter Soyka] "Does it make a difference that it doesn't ship for another month?"

If it's a month, it'd be perfect.

The spot. Weird:

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 13, 2012 at 3:14:11 pm

OK.

Here's some new things. I will continue being wrong, and loving every minute of it. Just don't take me to Vegas.

It might just be SSD: http://blog.macsales.com/14040-new-2012-macs-means-new-owc-ssd-designs

And the tear down (it's actually a rather humorous read for a geek like me): http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook-Pro-with-Retina-Display-Teardown/946...

RAM is hard wired.

My dreams of Apple chips died with Samsung.

This thing is as locked down as it possibly can be. I bet we can expect more of this "engineering" from Apple in the next Pro machine they build in the year 2000.

Return to posts index

Frank Gothmann
on Jun 13, 2012 at 5:50:02 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "This thing is as locked down as it possibly can be. I bet we can expect more of this "engineering" from Apple in the next Pro machine they build in the year 2000."

Out of curiosity: how do you see/rate all this? Do you think this is all due to technical reasons or motivated by other intentions? Do you rate it good, bad or don't you care, also with regards how this might start to carry over to other products?

------
"You also agree that you will not use these products for... the development, design, manufacture or production of nuclear, missiles, or chemical or biological weapons."
iTunes End User Licence Agreement

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 13, 2012 at 8:56:59 pm

[Frank Gothmann] "Out of curiosity: how do you see/rate all this? Do you think this is all due to technical reasons or motivated by other intentions? Do you rate it good, bad or don't you care, also with regards how this might start to carry over to other products?"

Do I think it's due to technical reasons, or is it motivated by other intentions? That's easy. Yes.

I see this as Apple's next move. They always start slow with newer tech. I think retina is a very big winner in the iOS world, and now they are going to see if it can be sustainable in the portable/desktop market. If anyone has the balls to really build an affordable 4k monitor, it will be Apple, and you won't need a 250W GPU power supply to do it (or whatever it would take today). Sure, maybe with way retina works (more resolution, same screen size) it's a cheat, but you know what, human vision is a cheat. Compared to other living vision systems out there, our system is broad, but fairly limited in a technical sense. Things look pretty. We like contrast, then color, and some resolution thrown in to leave us at the top of the food chain.

As far as locking down the macbook pro,

I think that people have been talking about soldering RAM to motherboards for a long time (or maybe that's how it was way back in the day) and I hope there's a performance gain from this. Apple is the first to do it, and call it "Pro". I also think an all solid state future means more efficiency for battery power, and at much faster working speeds than spinning disk. Apple does appreciate efficient computing. Design has also driven Apple's business upon Steve Job's return. Design, and pushing what's possible within those design constraints is really how Apple has made a living, like it or not. THe inside of that computer are all design decisions that are probably driven from the case.

I have said for a while now, Apple is not overly concerned about raw power. They derive power and speed from other sources, which is an easy to maintain OS and surrounding "ecosystem" (and the more I use it, the more I actually appreciate the AppStore, I hated it at first), and things like an all solid state computer. Not that Apple are the first to do make an all solid state device, they certainly aren't, but I would say they are probably the first to do it with brand new procs, a 4.5 pound laptop and claim 4 streams of 1080p24 8bit Uncompressed HD off of the boot drive. They are certainly the first company I've seen to put an NLE and photo app on primetime TV and market to "Pros" without really marketing to just pros.

I still believe that Apple has smart people working for them, and that overall they are a smart company. They are huge, their business is huge, and now they have more responsibility than ever, more eyes on them than ever, and therefore some more financial and social pressures, and therefore more legal fees than ever. They have a lot of plates in the air, I can't expect them to serve me and my needs personally.

I have no idea if this laptop is good or bad, but I do think this is a big glimpse of what's to come. This is computer miniaturization in the flesh and Apple is pushing it very very hard. I also think that Thunderbolt is going to allow them to lockdown the internals of their computers. They have been trying to do this for a long while, and the latest Retina MBP is proof of this (as if the first blueberry iMac wasn't enough). I have a hunch their next MacPro, or iMacPro or whatever the hell it's going to be called will also model this design motif. It might have more room for tinkering than the RMBP, but my guess it will be just enough to let you add a new drive, perhaps swap some sort of GPU (maybe), or something crazy like add 16 SSD drives and build a raid 6 array that gets tons of speed and fits in a kids sized shoebox. I don't know. I am done predicting what it's going to look like, but I would bet on solid state, and I'd bet on retina, and just enough GPU to drive it all and it will be a wicked fast architecture, but it won't be the fastest machine available.

At this point, you have to decide to take the ride or not. Apple will not give us post sale user configurable computers anymore. Perhaps that will be a good decision, or maybe it will be a terrible way to run a video business. I don't know, but I most definitely care. If you need the upper echelon of CPU power, the decision is already made for you, Apple isn't it.

Personally, as far as video software goes, I don't see a huge reason to jump ship to Windows quite yet. Sure, there's some more speed, but nothing is working as well as FCP7 for us, as editing is not only about speed. I am sure that will change as it is a "good" time to be an NLE developer right now. A media software company stands to gain so much if you can make the system work well and price it right, while taking advantage of modern hardware, while bringing modern media sensibilities to the table as well.

I am not interested in switching platforms just to switch, there has to be a compelling reason. Time will eventually be that reason, but right now, I feel as if I have just a bit more time than compelling reasons at this point.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]