FORUMS: list search recent posts

2013 and the Rumor of the New Mac Pro

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary Huff
2013 and the Rumor of the New Mac Pro
on Jun 12, 2012 at 9:11:19 pm

Let's say, for shits and giggles, that Apple releases legitimate official word that a new Mac Pro will come out in 2013. How will that effect your strategy in regards to sticking with Apple product for paid workflows?

(I release this has been touched on somewhat already, but it's easy to get loss in the morass of related threads.)

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
Re: 2013 and the Rumor of the New Mac Pro
on Jun 12, 2012 at 9:23:18 pm

2013? I don't know. If I'm still in the market for something and they have a solution that suits I would consider it. But I don't think that is going to happen. I think the pro apps and workstation departments at Apple consist of one (part time) person trying to figure out how best to respond to criticism while quietly phasing both of those troublesome businesses out with the least PR fallout.

And, by the way - 2013? Do they really expect any thinking person to take that seriously?

Tim

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jun 12, 2012 at 9:24:36 pm

[TImothy Auld] "And, by the way - 2013? Do they really expect any thinking person to take that seriously?"

That's the thing. So far I don't believe it either, but I'm just curious as to what the reaction would be if Apple explicitly came out and directly stated that a new Mac Pro would come out in 2013.

Would that change anyone's opinion or would it be "too little, too late"?

Return to posts index

Don Scioli
on Jun 12, 2012 at 10:15:34 pm

Hey, I'm glad they didn't come out with a new, new Mac Pro. I have a 2008 2 x 3.2 Ghz Quad Core Mac Pro with 16GB ram, a ATI 5770 and 6TB's of internal storage. It runs FCP 7, FCPX, Avid MC6 and PP6 great with no appreciable lags with footage @ 1080P. Now I don't have to worry about putting out over $5k for a new machine for a year. No new machine envy.

What, me worry?

Return to posts index

Sohrab Sandhu
on Jun 12, 2012 at 9:28:02 pm

[TImothy Auld] "And, by the way - 2013? Do they really expect any thinking person to take that seriously?"

Have they not seen the movie 2012?

;-)

Sohrab

FCS 3 & Adobe PPro
AJA Kona Lhi, Mac Pro 2 X 2.66 Ghz Quad Core
Flanders Scientific LM-1760W

"The creative person wants to be a know-it-all. He wants to know about all kinds of things: ancient history, nineteenth-century mathematics, current manufacturing techniques, flower arranging, and hog futures. Because he never knows when these ideas might come together to form a new idea. It may happen six minutes later or six months, or six years down the road. But he has faith that it will happen." -- Carl Ally

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Jun 12, 2012 at 10:10:20 pm

Are you all referring to this article?

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/12/apple-spokesperson-confirms-new-mac-pro...

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jun 12, 2012 at 10:12:18 pm

Yes. Also know as the journalistic roundabout.

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Jun 12, 2012 at 10:18:11 pm

When in 2013? That's could be several generations in tech time...

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Irvine, California

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jun 13, 2012 at 12:03:22 am

The article I saw quoted Tim Cooks email as "late 2013" which I would normally read as 2014.

If that's the case entire generations of kids will have gone their entire highschool career without a MacPro update.

How often does Usher come out with a new album?

Return to posts index

Colin Hensworth
on Jun 12, 2012 at 10:43:01 pm

I'm fine to wait if that were the case. I can easily keep my living for a year on the oldish tower I have while I make the transition from FCP7 to CS6. If it's a year that I have to wait to stay on Mac it's worth it to me. If it's longer or never then a PC it will be. And obviously my needs aren't the same as everyone.

Return to posts index

Bobby Mosca
on Jun 13, 2012 at 2:29:49 am

Now they are all talking about an email from Tim Cook that Apple has verified, saying something is coming in 2013.

However... I'd bet the farm the Mac Pro as it is known is gone and that Craig (you there, man?) is going to be right (daggumit) about an iMac Pro or some other, smaller form machine.

So... What I might do (now that I'm cross platform in my software) is go to a windows station for the next 2-3 years to see what Apple comes up with. If their new solution is good enough, the timeline won't be too short to go back. And if the new stuff is stupid, I've already made the transition and it's no big deal by that point.

But man just contemplating that stinks!!

(Pulling pin.... 1...2...4-no! 3!!)

Since this is taking so long.... Are they going to stick with Intel or are they building their own chip?

(boom:)

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Jun 13, 2012 at 4:08:27 am

[Bobby Mosca] "Since this is taking so long.... Are they going to stick with Intel or are they building their own chip?"

You may know they did very recently purchase an Israeli chip design firm. And we don’t know what they’re up to. Apple could swallow up ARM if they wanted and they clearly love ARM’s mobile chips but they chose this small Israeli firm for some advantage.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]