FORUMS: list search recent posts

Apple Confirms New Mac Pros and iMacs in 2013-Forbes

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Wiseman
Apple Confirms New Mac Pros and iMacs in 2013-Forbes
on Jun 12, 2012 at 7:42:45 pm

Apple has confirmed the 2013 Mac Pro and iMac update reported by Pogue in the New York Times for 2013. Article in Forbes. http://www.forbes.com/sites/connieguglielmo/2012/06/12/apple-says-new-model...

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1,Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1, Premiere Pro 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Avid MC, Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz 24Gb RAM GTX-285 120GB SSD, Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 8Gb SSD, G5 Quadcore PCIe

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Apple Confirms New Mac Pros and iMacs in 2013-Forbes
on Jun 12, 2012 at 7:47:26 pm

So Apple just killed reasonable interim updates.
Buy your Mac desktop today and if you need another one in two years . . . you can buy another of what you bought two years ago . . . until we get the next model out in another year.

Return to posts index

Bobby Mosca
on Jun 12, 2012 at 7:48:41 pm

"Apple" says? Who, exactly, is "Apple"?

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Jun 12, 2012 at 7:55:25 pm

Read the Forbes article. Apple corporate office, the source for the article.

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1,Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1, Premiere Pro 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Avid MC, Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz 24Gb RAM GTX-285 120GB SSD, Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 8Gb SSD, G5 Quadcore PCIe

Return to posts index

Bobby Mosca
on Jun 12, 2012 at 7:59:21 pm

Oh, I read it. I'll believe it if it isn't 'calibrated' in the next 24 hours.

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
on Jun 12, 2012 at 8:05:08 pm

[Jim Wiseman] "Read the Forbes article. Apple corporate office, the source for the article."

Jim,

Actually the article is sort of written as if there was no human interaction regarding the communication - like the word was made manifest from on high. But whatever.

On topic, I wouldn't be surprised if they doubled down on the new models in 2013.

Franz.

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Jun 12, 2012 at 7:54:26 pm

I think they were under a lot of pressure to do something. The Facebook page We Want a New MacPro has over 18,000 likes now. I don't won't be thinking about a new one until 2013 anyway, but yesterday was obviously a let down for many. Good to get an Apple corporate confirmation that the Mac Pro line will continue in the future.

Jim Wiseman

Return to posts index

Frank Gothmann
on Jun 12, 2012 at 8:01:04 pm

"... that they will LIKELY be released in 2013".
Keeping the escape route open, won't you?

------
"You also agree that you will not use these products for... the development, design, manufacture or production of nuclear, missiles, or chemical or biological weapons."
iTunes End User Licence Agreement

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jun 12, 2012 at 8:05:36 pm

[Jim Wiseman] "Good to get an Apple corporate confirmation that the Mac Pro line will continue in the future."

I don't think you have that confirmation. You only have confirmation that there will be desktops.

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Jun 12, 2012 at 8:10:37 pm

I think the title of the article and the first paragraph are specific, iMac and Mac Pro.

Jim Wiseman

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jun 12, 2012 at 8:18:02 pm

[Jim Wiseman] "I think the title of the article and the first paragraph are specific, iMac and Mac Pro.
"

It doesn't work that way, Jim. The only thing that counts is what Apple actually said. Everything else is the conjecture of the writer, or in this case, writers. You can get all warm and fuzzy if you want, but for me, there is no "there" there.

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Jun 12, 2012 at 8:11:37 pm

Why is it Dell, HP and others already have both consumer and business class machines with latest Ivy bridge etc. What could possibly take another year+ to develop? Something doesn't sound right...

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Irvine, California

Return to posts index

Bobby Mosca
on Jun 12, 2012 at 8:12:05 pm

This is why I want to know who "Apple" is. So Connie at Forbes picks up the phone then writes a 200 word article in which Apple breaks its infamous cone of silence and it's all good? Again, I'm not saying I won't believe it eventually, but I don't so far.

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Jun 12, 2012 at 8:24:09 pm

Apple is confirming to Forbes the 2013 story reported by David Pogue in yesterday's New York Times that there would be new Mac Pros in 2013. That is two major press stories. Pogue's direct quote confirmed by Apple:

“Many Apple observers also wonder if Apple thinks that desktop computers are dead, since not a word was said about the iMac and Mac Pro. An executive did assure me, however, that new models and new designs are under way, probably for release in 2013.”

The Forbes followup story states that the desktops are specifically the Mac Pro and iMac. I can understand the skepticism after the letdown yesterday, I know I wasn't happy, but these are two very large circulation respected publications which I doubt Apple would be releasing info to if it weren't true. They are not 9to5 Mac.

Jim Wiseman

Return to posts index

Colin Hensworth
on Jun 12, 2012 at 8:36:23 pm

What about the theory that they ditched it, then reconsidered after the reaction, now they need time to actually update it?
The silent treatment is reason enough to explore other options but I think it'll have an update. I could also be delusional.

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Jun 12, 2012 at 8:38:26 pm

I think you hit it, Colin.

Jim Wiseman

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jun 12, 2012 at 8:26:08 pm

"The company confirmed a New York Times report, citing an unnamed Apple executive yesterday, that new desktops are in play."

Who confirmed this and what specifically does it say about Mac Pro's? "New desktops" does not equal "mac pro." If Apple actually wanted to officially confirm something they would issue a press release from a named source. This is the kind of nebulous BS that had everyone believing a "New" mac pro was being unveiled yesterday. That whole article would be a waste of ink if it had been actually printed.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Jun 12, 2012 at 8:31:17 pm

You're not going to get a press release for something that is happening next year. This is pretty unusual for Apple to feed to Forbes as it is.

Jim Wiseman

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jun 12, 2012 at 8:33:40 pm

[Jim Wiseman] "This is pretty unusual for Apple to feed to Forbes as it is."

Without a name attached to it, or any kind of description beyond "desktop", the only thing they are feeding comes out a bulls rectum.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Jun 12, 2012 at 8:36:49 pm

Bully for them. Feeding Forbes. I don't care that it's unusual. The fact is that this is no different from Pogue's unattributed quote in the Times . Which makes it, uh - what's the phrase? Oh, yes, Bullsh*t!

Tim

Return to posts index

Sohrab Sandhu
on Jun 12, 2012 at 8:33:00 pm

[Herb Sevush] "If Apple actually wanted to officially confirm something they would issue a press release from a named source. This is the kind of nebulous BS that had everyone believing a "New" mac pro was being unveiled yesterday. That whole article would be a waste of ink if it had been actually printed."

Exactly!!!

If apple is serious about coming out with a Mac Pro or an Imac then they dont have to release this info unofficially.

Sohrab

FCS 3, AJA Kona Lhi & Adobe PPro

"The creative person wants to be a know-it-all. He wants to know about all kinds of things: ancient history, nineteenth-century mathematics, current manufacturing techniques, flower arranging, and hog futures. Because he never knows when these ideas might come together to form a new idea. It may happen six minutes later or six months, or six years down the road. But he has faith that it will happen." -- Carl Ally

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
on Jun 12, 2012 at 8:27:42 pm

In 2013 the current 19200 x 10800 retina MacBook Pro will be able to transform in any Mac possible.

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Jun 12, 2012 at 8:33:08 pm

"An executive" Really? This is the same kind of nonsensical, unattributed BS the I have been hearing/reading for the last two years.

Tim

Return to posts index

Bobby Mosca
on Jun 12, 2012 at 8:37:21 pm

Jim: Don't believe everything you read. And The New York Times hasn't been widely read or respected for years. Forbes? Eh. Connie? No.

Return to posts index

Clint Wardlow
on Jun 12, 2012 at 8:43:50 pm

The amazing thing is that Apple quietly released an update yesterday that with any other company would have clearly spelled the doom of a product. However, being the mysterious Apple, they released the update in such a WTF manner that folks are still trying like mad to
second guess them concerning the future of Mac Pro.

I don't know if that sort of marketing is pure genius or formulated by 12 monkeys let loose on the new Mac Book Pro.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 12, 2012 at 8:34:44 pm

[Jim Wiseman] "Apple has confirmed the 2013 Mac Pro and iMac update reported by Pogue in the New York Times for 2013. Article in Forbes. http://www.forbes.com/sites/connieguglielmo/2012/06/12/apple-says-new-model....."

Quoth Connie Guglielmo:

"Apple said today that it is working on new models and designs for its Macintosh desktops — the Mac [sic] and the Mac Pro — and that they will likely be released in 2013. The company confirmed a New York Times report, citing an unnamed Apple executive yesterday, that new desktops are in play."

I don't think it's clear at all from the article that Apple has confirmed new Mac Pros in 2013.

"New models and designs for its Macintosh desktops" may or may not refer to existing product lines, and "will likely be released in 2013" gives us 6 to 18 months of maybe.

The only direct quotation in the entire article is attributed to Andy Hertzfeld, and the bulk of the article is analysis of the current desktop situation.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Jun 12, 2012 at 8:37:26 pm

The title of the article is very specific. Time will tell. I'm not going to be the messenger who gets shot here. Just wanted to report what is being said in respected publications.

Jim Wiseman

Return to posts index

Sohrab Sandhu
on Jun 12, 2012 at 8:42:27 pm

[Jim Wiseman] "I'm not going to be the messenger who gets shot here. Just wanted to report what is being said in respected publications."

Please for God's sake...

Your posts suggests that there is confirmation directly from Apple about new Macpro & Imacs, which sadly is not the case.

Sohrab

FCS 3 & Adobe PPro
AJA Kona Lhi, Mac Pro 2 X 2.66 Ghz Quad Core
Flanders Scientific LM-1760W

"The creative person wants to be a know-it-all. He wants to know about all kinds of things: ancient history, nineteenth-century mathematics, current manufacturing techniques, flower arranging, and hog futures. Because he never knows when these ideas might come together to form a new idea. It may happen six minutes later or six months, or six years down the road. But he has faith that it will happen." -- Carl Ally

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Jun 12, 2012 at 8:50:20 pm

The title of the article: Apple Says New Models, Designs for iMac, Mac Pro In Works, Due in 2013

What is not direct about "Apple Says" to a Forbes reporter? If you think Tim Cook is going to go onstage and make a huge announcement about 2013 products (Mac Pro and iMac) or post something on the Apple website you will be disappointed. That won't happen. I'm surprised and happy to see this much.

Jim Wiseman

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jun 12, 2012 at 8:51:44 pm

How do you know that this is simply not a story whose sole source is the anonymous forum poster from Mac Rumors?

Are you seriously this gullible normally? Or is your head so stuck up Apple's ass that you grasp at any straw that is pointed in your direction?

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Jun 12, 2012 at 9:12:03 pm

That's a pretty rude comment, Gary. I'm just putting up what Forbes was told, You can value it as you wish. I would like to believe it because I like the Mac Pro. Because I would like to believe it might not make it true. Didn't expect such hostility to a potentially positive report.

Jim Wiseman

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jun 12, 2012 at 9:24:20 pm

[Jim Wiseman] "I'm just putting up what Forbes was told, You can value it as you wish."

If you were just providing the info, it would be one thing, but to continually bring up "But, but, the Forbes article says...!" means something else.

People are quoting Pogue and some anonymous forum poster as if they are speaking the gospel truth, and I'm not going to spread b.s. no matter how interesting it might be.

Return to posts index

Thomas Frank
on Jun 12, 2012 at 9:48:52 pm

[Gary Huff] "People are quoting Pogue and some anonymous forum poster as if they are speaking the gospel truth, and I'm not going to spread b.s. no matter how interesting it might be."

And where is your proof?

It is a 50/50 chance here.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jun 12, 2012 at 9:57:08 pm

[Thomas Frank] "It is a 50/50 chance here."

Just like it was a 50/50 chance that Apple was TOTALLY going to update the Mac Pro and iMac line at WWDC?

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Jun 12, 2012 at 9:58:55 pm

Proof? for a 50/50 chance? Proof implies an absolute. And what most people are espousing here is that there is no absolute. Certainly not from an anonymous source. What's your proof? Come on. What's yours?

Tim

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jun 12, 2012 at 10:00:00 pm

[Thomas Frank] "[Gary Huff] "People are quoting Pogue and some anonymous forum poster as if they are speaking the gospel truth, and I'm not going to spread b.s. no matter how interesting it might be."
And where is your proof? It is a 50/50 chance here."

While there might be a 50/50 chance that their will be a MacPro in 2013, the fact that anonymous postings are pure BS is 100%.

The best definition of BS that I know is "language used without concern for truth in order to manipulate" which means that BS may be true or not. A lie is concerned with truth in that it is trying to be the opposite, BS doesn't care about the truthfulness of an utterance, just what the effect of that utterance will be on an audience.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Jun 12, 2012 at 8:57:20 pm

"Apple says" is even more meaningless than "Mickey Mouse says" Unless there is a name and title attached to it it is just spin. Believe it if you like. Remember how "awesome" FCP X was supposed to be for all us guys. And that was a direct quote from the CEO which turned out to be - shall we say - inaccurate?

Tim

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Jun 12, 2012 at 9:21:17 pm

Apple has a press department, not a singular press secretary or PR guy. The very likely scenario that occurred is that the Forbes writer, Connie decided to ask Apple about the David Pogue story that ran in the Times. She likely sent an email to Apple's press department asking whether they could comment on the story. She then probably received another email back where the story or parts of it (specifically relating to new iMacs and Mac Pros in the pipeline) were confirmed to be true.

That is a circumstance that would explain how the article was written. Writing "Apple says..." is analogous to saying, "The Obama administration says..." It means that information was passed to the press attributable to the company, but not necessarily to a specific person. This happens all the time in journalism.

Since Connie was likely only confirming an existing story, there was no one to interview on her part. No name to put to the confirmation. In David Pogue's situation however, things are a bit murkier. But since Apple is a tight-lipped company, is it all that surprising that David would only be able to get a quote from someone on the inside provided he didn't divulge their identity? This also happens a lot in journalism.

To me, the Occam's Razor explanation is this: David got someone to speak off the record, who said that they were working on new computers. This was done either against Apple rules, or with the blessings of Tim Cook. In either case, Apple maintains it's outward persona of secrecy by keeping the "executive" unnamed. Then, after the outcry following the non-announcement yesterday, Tim Cook decided that confirmation of the "insider" story was a simple way to get the word out to those who are spelling doom and gloom on the various message boards.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Jun 12, 2012 at 9:25:29 pm

Andy, thank you for providing an intelligent comment. Having dealt with the press often that is undoubtedly the way it went down. Glad to get the discourse regarding this information on a reasonable level.

Jim Wiseman

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 12, 2012 at 9:44:20 pm

[Andy Neil] "She then probably received another email back where the story or parts of it (specifically relating to new iMacs and Mac Pros in the pipeline) were confirmed to be true."

But this is exactly the part that's unclear.

"Apple said today that it is working on new models and designs for its Macintosh desktops — the Mac [sic] and the Mac Pro — and that they will likely be released in 2013."

Apple would not have approved this verbatim, as there is no such computer as "the Mac" (the error I noted above). We can therefore assume that this is not an official statement. Elsewhere in the story, they say that "new desktops are in play."

The question is this: is the addition of the hyphened-off "the Mac and the Mac Pro" in the first sentence meant to describe what Apple is working on, or meant to describe for context what its current desktops are?

Clear as mud.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 12, 2012 at 9:53:41 pm

[Walter Soyka] "there is no such computer as "the Mac""
http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/in-action/radical/
See Gear List
"Mac"
It seems when they refer to an, as of yet, unnamed product or, in the in-action piece, a Mac they no longer wish to name, marketing is using "Mac"

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jun 12, 2012 at 9:56:28 pm

[Walter Soyka] "
Apple would not have approved this verbatim, as there is no such computer as "the Mac" (the error I noted above). We can therefore assume that this is not an official statement. Elsewhere in the story, they say that "new desktops are in play.""

Didn't we just get off this crazy roller coaster? Didn't anyone learn their lesson? We had word with utmost confidence that we were going to see a new Mac Pro on Monday, that Apple was going to update every model save for the Mini. There was so much utter crap swirling around the last two weeks that so many bought into and now that's all proven to be a lie. And now here we go again, with the same level of substantiation, and people are still spreading this crap.

I should seriously put the Brooklyn Bridge up for sale on here. I bet I'd get a lot of interest.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Jun 12, 2012 at 10:34:17 pm

[Walter Soyka] "Apple would not have approved this verbatim, as there is no such computer as "the Mac" (the error I noted above). We can therefore assume that this is not an official statement."

Exactly. As I stated, the Forbes article was likely written off an email/phone response from Apples PR dept. requesting confirmation of the Pogue story. This was not a press release. If it HAD been an official statement, it would have been in quotes.

But the only thing we can "assume" from the erroneous mention of the "Mac" computer is that the copy editor for the website missed a spelling mistake.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 12, 2012 at 8:55:49 pm

[Jim Wiseman] "The title of the article is very specific."

True -- but headlines are often written by editors, not by the authors. And what the headline says is subtly different than what the only slightly more expansive body copy says.

[Jim Wiseman] " Time will tell"

Well, maybe. Isn't that what everyone said coming up to this WWDC? And, come to think of it, last year's WWDC? How long should we wait?

“No one turns over its entire product line as quickly as Apple."
- Phil Schiller

"Real artists ship."
- Steve Jobs

[Jim Wiseman] " I'm not going to be the messenger who gets shot here. Just wanted to report what is being said in respected publications."

And I'm not trying to shoot you -- I'm just disagreeing that the article you referenced is as conclusive as you suggest, and I'm laying out my reasons why. It seems to me there's a lot more room for ambiguity in the actual copy than the headline suggests.

Sidebar: if a Mac Pro purchase is an important business decision for you, how much weight will you give the confirmed-but-unattributed promise of new desktop models and designs likely shipping sometime 6 to 18 months from now?

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Bobby Mosca
on Jun 12, 2012 at 9:00:38 pm

Can someone remember one time Apple has officially commented on a product that has not been formally announced or released? I can't think of one.

Even if every word of the article is true, it could just as easily mean the Mac Pro, the iMac and the Mac Mini are all dead and brand new lines will be rolled out next year.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jun 12, 2012 at 9:11:07 pm

[Walter Soyka] " if a Mac Pro purchase is an important business decision for you, how much weight will you give the confirmed-but-unattributed promise of new desktop models and designs likely shipping sometime 6 to 18 months from now?"

None, for 2 reasons.

First, I don't believe it. Second, even if true that time frame is too far out for me to consider at this point. If they do build it, and I am still in the market for an Apple computer when it comes out, an increasingly unlikely event, I'll consider it then.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Jun 12, 2012 at 9:19:57 pm

Fair enough. You have to do what your business dictates. It fits my timeframe just fine. I'm sure it messes up al to of peoples. Better than HP's former CEO saying directly and for sure, we are no longer going to make PC's. That was direct enough. Put a few folks on edge. It also turned out to not be true. No one can predict the future. I'm still happy to see the report.

Jim Wiseman

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jun 12, 2012 at 9:27:38 pm

[Jim Wiseman] "Better than HP's former CEO saying directly and for sure, we are no longer going to make PC's. That was direct enough. Put a few folks on edge. It also turned out to not be true"

first of all the remark was strictly about their consumer products line, it was never about workstations. Second, did you notice the difference? A real executive put his real name out there while speculating. When that happens that exec. can be held responsible for his remarks, which is why it can be taken seriously. Seriously enough in this case to cost the guy his job. Nameless sources, unless in wartime where lives are truly in jeopardy, are never to be trusted. This goes for sports reporters " a teammate said ..." as well as corporate. If there's no name attached, it's BS.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Jun 12, 2012 at 9:29:31 pm

I would recommend Andy Neil's post above as to the way this probably went down.

Jim Wiseman

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 12, 2012 at 9:38:16 pm

There's too much unnecessary heat in this thread. Let's keep it factual.

[Jim Wiseman] "Better than HP's former CEO saying directly and for sure, we are no longer going to make PC's. That was direct enough."

Apotheker never said that.

I quoted the Forbes article about Apple's off-the-record confirmation of new desktops, but here I can quote HP directly [link].

HP evaluated "strategic alternatives for its Personal Systems Group (PSG), including the exploration of the separation of its PC business into a separate company through a spin-off or other transaction."

During that time, PSG operated as normal. HP was thinking about selling or spinning the division off, but they never said "directly and for sure, we are no longer going to make PCs."

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jun 12, 2012 at 10:04:48 pm

[Walter Soyka] "HP evaluated "strategic alternatives for its Personal Systems Group (PSG), including the exploration of the separation of its PC business into a separate company through a spin-off or other transaction.""

I hadn't actually read that before, but one thing jumped out at me. A quick command-F on "explor" confirmed: 14 times that explore or exploration was used, plus another 3 for "evaluate."

The first person to email me "I found it!" when Apple does a similar press release, I will buy a new pony.

Wait, why did HP explore and evaluate such things? "To drive higher value solutions to enterprise, small and midsize business and public sector customers." You may not like gubmint and hate HP because they want MY TAX DOLLARS for their stinking Windozers...but hey: they explored and evaluated ideas to support bidness as well as gubmint.

Nevertheless, Apotheker's head rolled the following month. The next month!!! That's obviously not the only reason, but I'm not sure how much more decisively HP could have rejected this unless they'd ACTUALLY cut off his head and rolled it.

And in fairness to Apple, stuff like this is why Apple doesn't pipe up about what it's thinking about. No matter how quickly you walk them back, people are still going to beat you up for false moves.

And also as Tim Cook pointed out, if you tell people what you're going to do, THEY MIGHT DO IT FIRST. On one hand, that's nonsense. On the other hand, he's exactly right. I imagine that a lot of things that will show up in a new Mac Pro will show up elsewhere first. LOL

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jun 12, 2012 at 10:34:24 pm

[Tim Wilson] "I imagine that a lot of things that will show up in a new Mac Pro will show up elsewhere first. LOL"

Or have already shown up elsewhere some time ago.

Return to posts index

Michael Hadley
on Jun 12, 2012 at 9:28:56 pm

Folks:

Uhmm. This is how large corporations communicate. I work in the PR industry a fair amount and the corp. marketing team will reach out to trusted media partner to communicate/correct perceptions. Forbes is reputable. The message would have been delivered directly from a member of the marketing/PR team at Apple HQ and is quite clear (if frustratingly concise). They are on record as promising to deliver new iMacs and MacPros in 2013. It doesn't get any more official than that.

Couple this with Pogue's backchannel attribution and Tim Cook's Jobs' like email and there you have it. It is official.

Now, will these new iMacs and towers be worth the wait? That is completely unknown and will ultimately depend on the user's needs.

But really, with a large corporation, and one steeped in secrecy like AAPL, it doesn't get any more clear, official and direct: there will be new iMacs and MacPros in 2013. I will happily wager a case of beer on it. And enjoy a nice frosty one at some point in 2013.

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Jun 12, 2012 at 9:32:01 pm

Thank you Michael, and Andy. I will now politely bow out.

Jim Wiseman

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jun 12, 2012 at 9:36:24 pm

[Jim Wiseman] "Thank you Michael, and Andy. I will now politely bow out."

Good idea, seems to be a touchy subject at the moment, can't think why!

Steve Connor
"The ripple command is just a workaround for not having a magnetic timelinel"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Jun 12, 2012 at 9:34:19 pm

That is not how all - or even the majority - of large corporations communicate.

And...clear, official and direct? No. Clear, official and direct is a titled person providing a quote for attribution. And this happens all the time. Anything else is spin. And it's worth a lot more to me that a case of beer.

Tim

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jun 12, 2012 at 9:43:56 pm

[Michael Hadley] "They are on record as promising to deliver new iMacs and MacPros in 2013. It doesn't get any more official than that."

Bull Schlitz

Return to posts index

Michael Hadley
on Jun 12, 2012 at 9:52:43 pm

LOL!

Still, seriously, you guys are fretting up a storm over this. Apple has always been thus (and many large corporations I've done work for act exactly the same). This is how they do it.

Listen to their formal official quarterly earnings calls and they NEVER talk about future products EVER--other then vague blandishments. The Forbes/Pogue/Cook email is about as much hemline as they ever expose and you can/should rest assured there will be new iMacs and MacPros in 2013.

Will they meet your needs? Will they be great? Will they suck? I have no idea.

You may not like it--the not knowing more part--but there ain't nothing you can do about it. You can move on to Dell or HP as you like. Or, like most of us, you can tough it out and see what happens in 2013. Either way, I will be enjoying my beer.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jun 12, 2012 at 10:12:34 pm

[Michael Hadley] "Or, like most of us, you can tough it out "

Most of us? I've seen a lot of high end movement over the last several years to the much faster PC environment. Only thing keeping me behind right now is ProRes. Its been a long time since Apple's high end was in such disarray. Frankly, its shameful. You know, a joke. The only thing they have going for them currently is that they're an island, and getting to the main land can be a little difficult. Apple does make some great products, but their current line of workstations suck.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jun 12, 2012 at 10:27:00 pm

[Chris Harlan] "their current line of workstations suck."

They suck on ice. They suck squared. You would think they would do something just to avoid the embarrassment of listing them at those prices. It can be definitively stated that at this point in time Apple makes the worst workstations, dollar for dollar, to be found in the known universe. One might think they would care. Apparently one would be wrong.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Jun 12, 2012 at 10:13:08 pm

Corporations always talk about their future products. That is how they raise money and keep their stock prices up. Apple in in the unique (cash) position right now to not have to deal with those things. I'm not sure what shareholders meetings you have been attending but let's assume for a moment that corporations only supply "vague blandishments" about future products. The fact remains that those vague blandishments most often emanate from the mouths of corporate executives with titles who are quoted for attribution. The fact that Apple does not have to be bothered with such trivia at the moment in no way means that other companies out there are immune from doing so. Talking about what's new is how they survive.

Tim

Return to posts index

Michael Hadley
on Jun 12, 2012 at 10:29:06 pm

Hmm. Not so much. They generally provide EBITDA guidance that is on the low end so they can beat it on the call. I've NEVER heard AAPL talk prospectively about any future products or categories other than vague blandishments--we're excited about the space, etc.

I've been buying their products for 20 years and buying their stock for 10 years and this is how they roll. It has worked out great professionally and financially. For them and for me.

Most corporate flacks are purposefully vague until products are ready to ship (unless it's the RED camera--and then it never ships!). Large corporations in our industry--Sony, Canon, Panasonic, Apple--are always tight lipped about new products.

Did anyone know the specs for the F3 before it launched? The C300? There may be little leaks a few weeks out, but that is exactly the same kind of stuff we are talking about here.

Information is power and corporations don't let it out until it is in their interest to do so. The competition is intense. I don't feel sorry for them. I'm just not surprised by any of this. I'd love Apple to give us all a clearcut roadmap signed by Tim Cook. Not gonna happen.

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Jun 12, 2012 at 10:44:26 pm

But they provide it and it comes from a nameable source within the company. Apple has more cash than it can carry and they do not have to be bothered with communicating with their (largely consumer now) client base. For most other corporations it is a harsh reality they have to deal with. Do they try to limit information? Yes. But most make their statements through corporate spokesmen with names and titles who people can then ask questions of. As I will likely have to have a solution before 2013 what they do or do not do is probably insignificant to me. I have seen unattributed "Apple says" quotes many times before. They have almost alway turned out to be at best misleading.

Tim

Return to posts index

Michael Hadley
on Jun 12, 2012 at 11:15:32 pm

Well, Timothy...Apple has always been different since it has always been centered on the cult of personality: to wit, Steve Jobs. There was really no one other than he to represent the company. There is no well known Apple spokesman or flack. He was it. And he was one tight-lipped SOB. Aside from the infrequent cryptic official statements to the press (like today) or the very rare Jobs' email, that was and is all we would ever get.

Seems like Tim Cook is following the Apple/Jobs model.

Nothing about this seems any different on Apple's part as I have followed lo these many years. The only change is that we all really, really want our screaming new macs NOW! Especially after the pre-WWDC blog hype. I agree, I was bummed a ton. But in retrospect, I have only myself to blame. Now it looks like I/we have to wait another 6-18 months. Or, move everything to another platform. Neither option is a good one.

Return to posts index

Frank Gothmann
on Jun 12, 2012 at 11:24:36 pm

[Michael Hadley] "Now it looks like I/we have to wait another 6-18 months. Or, move everything to another platform. Neither option is a good one."

You're forgetting option 3: waiting 6-18 months, getting something that doesn't fit your needs... and then moving everything to another platform.

------
"You also agree that you will not use these products for... the development, design, manufacture or production of nuclear, missiles, or chemical or biological weapons."

Return to posts index

Frank Gothmann
on Jun 12, 2012 at 9:53:44 pm

[Chris Harlan] "[Michael Hadley] "They are on record as promising to deliver new iMacs and MacPros in 2013. It doesn't get any more official than that."

Bull Schlitz"

So it went from a "likely release in 2013" to "being on record promising to deliver".
It's has all the characteristics of an abusive relationship. Along with all the promises that everything will be better, soon, and twisting words to fit expectations. Anyone remembers the Lemmings commercial?

And so the saga continues (now hitting play on track Imperial March of Star Wars soundtrack).

------

Return to posts index

Michael Hadley
on Jun 12, 2012 at 10:17:09 pm

Well, you are right. I did conflate "likely" a bit from the Forbes article. But I would be flabbergasted if they did not know come out with new boxes in 2013 (and early 2013 at that) given these new very public, very prominent pronouncements. (Remember, they said nothing public about MacPros prior to this. It was all just rumors and blog sites).

If nothing happens next year, I'm out as far as video editing systems go.

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Jun 12, 2012 at 10:54:12 pm

Well here's word from Tim Cook, the CEO, in an email confirmed by Apple to Macworld.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1167247/cook_apple_planning_professional_ma...

Jim Wiseman

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Jun 12, 2012 at 11:18:18 pm

Something really great. I can't wait. Oh, but i guess I have to. Three years worth. I think there are few in the post production business who care about or believe a shred of what Apple says any longer. 2013? Really??

Tim

Return to posts index

Chris Jacek
on Jun 12, 2012 at 11:50:07 pm

[TImothy Auld] "Something really great. I can't wait. Oh, but i guess I have to. Three years worth. I think there are few in the post production business who care about or believe a shred of what Apple says any longer. 2013? Really??

Tim"

To follow up on this point, why are we spending so much energy on whether it is "true confirmation" of Mac Pros or not. Even if this is iron-clad proof that there will be new Mac Pros in the timeframe promised, what value is that? Promising to deliver a product "some time" next year, when we aren't even half-way through THIS year, and giving ZERO details? How is this at all acceptable?

I'm sorry folks, but they might as well have said "Don't call us, we'll call you." My opinion is this: You'll can to Windows now, before everyone else does it, or you'll be switching later, after everyone else. I personally try to stay ahead of that curve whenever possible.

Professor, Producer, Editor
and former Apple Employee

Return to posts index

Mathieu Ghekiere
on Jun 13, 2012 at 12:53:52 pm

Just look at what they did with the Macbook Pro Retina.
Personally, this really gave me the feeling that they were tied to the Pro.

They used all their proprietary things and experience they made from the last years, and put it in a product that's in a way typically Apple: technically brilliant, and maybe more way out there then every other competing product (crazy display, special made fans, non-removable RAM BUT a very tight package, huge potential trough the 2 thunderbolt ports which is also a technology made by them and Intel, ...), but it took a while to get there, and it's very closed off.
But by making some crazy decisions in the design, they come with a product that I believe is very difficult for the competition to match in price or overall features (like they have with their iPad).
They also constantly used Aperture, Photoshop and Final Cut Pro X to show off the laptop, even in their recent TV commercial.

To me this says that it's for real: they are working on a new Mac Pro, which will also be pretty closed off and radical in some ways, but also far ahead of the competition. Look at FCP X. You can hate it (I sure did in the beginning), but they put some very good groundwork there with the whole meta-data fundaments that will be difficult for the competition to match. It's very incomplete, but Apple is getting there.
And 4K Thunderbolt displays.

I don't like the way the Mac Pro's were (not) updated now. I think Apple could do better, I really do. Pathetic graphics card, huge price for old hardware. But if you go the the forum of RED, and read some posts by Jeff Killgroe who is very knowledgeable, he laid out the technical reasons why he never expected Apple to update the Mac Pro now, and why he believes they will with the next Xeon processors.
Because with those processors, they can immediately make the 'crazy' product that they want, that makes a lot less heat, is faster, has native Thunderbolt and USB 3 support, and make it in a much smaller package than the current Mac Pro.

Return to posts index

Paul Dickin
on Jun 13, 2012 at 1:21:42 pm

Hi
Once I got his name spelling sorted (Kilgroe) I was able to find it ;-)
http://173.199.159.58/forum/showthread.php?76548-Did-APPLE-forget-APRIL-FOO...
http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?80760-There-IS-a-new-Mac-Pro&p=...

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jun 13, 2012 at 2:29:53 pm

For me the key line in that quote is this:

"there have bee no new Xeon CPUs from Intel for 2 years now. There have been no new Xeon workstation chipsets for three years. What was Apple going to give us? HP and others have not released any new Xeon workstations in the same amount of time. In fact, HP has several irate customers who sound an awful lot like the Mac crowd at the moment. Most of them seem to be relaxing since HP announced the new Z-series systems, which are supposed to ship this month."

So if none of this delay is Apple's fault how come all their competitors are going to be releasing updates in the next few months, but it's going to take Apple another whole year? This fall Dell will be releasing their high end workstation with 2 Tbolt ports while Cook is gooing about something sometime next year, yet Apple had a 1 year lead on Tbolt technology. Being 1 year behind in technology is an enormous handicap, but we're supposed to wait on Apple. I don't see it.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Jun 13, 2012 at 5:10:34 pm

I think they have been planning to do with the Mac Pro what they just did with the Retina Macbook Pro. Give it the Jony Ives treatment with a completely new design, not just slap in a new motherboard, etc. in the old case. Something the competition can't copy easily or economically, ala Macbook Air. Jony has had a lot on his plate with the new Macbooks and the Apple TV. I think the Mac Pro is next with Ivy Bridge 22nm Xeons due to release later this year. This, I think, will be something very new in the Apple tradition. Lou Borella, who started We Want a New Macpro on Facebook is very happy, for one. Over 18,000 likes now. They got Apple's attention. Here is his decidedly upbeat Thank You this morning for those on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MacProsPlease

Jim Wiseman

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jun 13, 2012 at 6:00:27 pm

[Jim Wiseman] "Give it the Jony Ives treatment with a completely new design, not just slap in a new motherboard, etc. in the old case. "

But even if your guess is correct, what's the rationale for not refreshing with a new motherboard in the meantime, there's nothing stopping them from designing for the near and long term. By skipping the whole Sandy Bridge generation of chips they loose anyone who needs a quality workstation for up to 18 months.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 13, 2012 at 6:01:39 pm

You may not have seen my post elsewhere.

They're not doing interim updates because they want to move people past the current technology as quickly as possible.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jun 13, 2012 at 6:06:39 pm

[Craig Seeman] "They're not doing interim updates because they want to move people past the current technology as quickly as possible."

That might work in a a consumer market, but in an enterprise market what they are doing is moving people to other platforms as quickly as possible, and that includes people who don't want to go, but can't work with 3 year old boxes and a smiley promise about tomorrow.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 13, 2012 at 6:28:33 pm

[Herb Sevush] "That might work in a a consumer market, but in an enterprise market what they are doing is moving people to other platforms as quickly as possible, and that includes people who don't want to go, but can't work with 3 year old boxes and a smiley promise about tomorrow."

Granted. It's much like FCPX. They're doing a reboot. They can afford to do it. They probably believe the will win by attrition as new people enter the professional market. If you've seen the MBPr commercial that started airing it sure looks targeted to the creative market.

They care about Pros. The new ones, not the old ones. Obviously a facility isn't going to switch back to Windows only to move back to Mac a couple of years later unless Apple has a very strong value proposition. Right or wrong, this seems to be Apple's new business model. They'll get their "new" pros.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jun 13, 2012 at 7:00:22 pm

[Craig Seeman] "They care about Pros. The new ones, not the old ones. "

But "new" pros edit on Ipads.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 13, 2012 at 7:05:22 pm

[Herb Sevush] "But "new" pros edit on Ipads."

The new pro will edit on Retina actually,

Return to posts index

Frank Gothmann
on Jun 13, 2012 at 6:22:25 pm

[Craig Seeman] "They're not doing interim updates because they want to move people past the current technology as quickly as possible."

Craig, I don't even know what that is supposed to mean.
Interim updates? Why is it interim? Sandy Bridge comes with PCIe3 and more lanes, more cores, there's Sata6G, there are faster GPUs, there's USB3. None of that will be any different with Ivy Bridge. They are 22nm and use less power. That's pretty much it.

And if they wanna move people past current technology as quickly as possible, maybe they should also skip 2013 and go straight for 2020 because by the end of next year, whatever tech ships will be current and a new Intel roadmap will be out there.

------

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 13, 2012 at 6:51:05 pm

[Frank Gothmann] "Craig, I don't even know what that is supposed to mean. "

They don't want you to buy an updated iMac or MacPro that you'll use for another 3 or 4 years. There's a deliberate gap. Cook, the channel master, wants to inflate pent up demand to move people as quickly as possible to new hardware and new OS.

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Jun 13, 2012 at 6:16:39 pm

I do think they have been focused on the Macbook as far as the Mac product line goes. It is by far the bulk of their sales in computers. The Retina is quite a jump. Also the new Xeons just came out. I think they decided to skip a generation and focus on the next 22nm ones with a real refresh. It is certainly true that there are many users who could use a new Mac Pro now, but I think Craig is correct, they want to move people on to the really new hardware and OS as quickly as possible, thus no interim, and a new "Pro Mac" later.

Jim Wiseman

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 13, 2012 at 1:54:13 pm

[Mathieu Ghekiere] "But if you go the the forum of RED, and read some posts by Jeff Killgroe who is very knowledgeable, he laid out the technical reasons why he never expected Apple to update the Mac Pro now, and why he believes they will with the next Xeon processors. Because with those processors, they can immediately make the 'crazy' product that they want, that makes a lot less heat, is faster, has native Thunderbolt and USB 3 support, and make it in a much smaller package than the current Mac Pro."

Aren't those "next Xeon processors" the ones that everyone else is shipping today?

Or is he suggesting that Apple intends to skip the current generation entirely, wait for some future Xeon, and continue selling 2010 hardware into 2013?

Further, I disagree with Jeff's suggestion that Thunderbolt on the current Mac would be useless -- see the network effect [link]. The number of other machines in Apple's lineup (all of them!) that are able to use Thunderbolt makes it valuable to include on the Mac Pro. Conversely, not including Thunderbolt on the Mac Pro makes the Mac Pro less valuable because it cannot participate in the same systems that any other Mac can.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Mathieu Ghekiere
on Jun 13, 2012 at 2:20:11 pm

No, his suggestion is about the NEXT release of Xeon processors, with a 22nm process (or how do you call it?)
The reasons are in the posts Paul dugg op in response to my post (thank you, Paul. I once had a post that I made here that said it had to be reviewed by the moderators because it had bad words in it, namely D - V - info . net which I found very stupid, to be honest. I can't even put that word in my post, or that's a *bad word* ?
So I thought putting links to R-E-D-user would maybe have the same effect, so I didn't put straight links. It seems to work with you, thanks for your search! Those are indeed the posts that I meant.

Oh, and my opinion is also that Apple should have done a MUCH better job with the current upgrade of the Mac Pro, but it seems like they are just planning for that big release next year, and the current update was a last minute change because of the bad press they were getting around the Mac Pro (the Face book page appearing everywhere, etc.)
I don't disagree with you on that, anything but. But if they want to put all their efforts to making the next generation Mac Pro a MUCH bigger leap in power/design/... then I can take it that this upgrade wasn't what it in our mind should have been.

Return to posts index

Ronald Lindeboom
on Jun 13, 2012 at 2:27:23 pm

[Mathieu Ghekiere] " I once had a post that I made here that said it had to be reviewed by the moderators because it had bad words in it, namely D - V - info . net which I found very stupid, to be honest. I can't even put that word in my post, or that's a *bad word* ?
So I thought putting links to R-E-D-user would maybe have the same effect, so I didn't put straight links. It seems to work with you, thanks for your search! Those are indeed the posts that I meant. "

So Mathieu, would you like to know the truth as to why? I'll tell you...

DVinfo had (has?) an auto-responder on their site that basically took all the people they didn't like and drove them over here. I wrote Chris more than once and asked him to stop it. He refused.

REDuser had (has?) an auto-link-converter on their site that basically changes every post that anyone tries to make at REDuser that references CreativeCOW.net and changes it to a link for a page entitled "I hate Cows."

If you ever want a straight answer, feel free to write me. I respond. :o)

Oh and yes, I still think DVinfo and REDuser suck.

Best regards,

Ronald Lindeboom
CEO, Creative COW LLC
Publisher, Creative COW Magazine
A 2011 FOLIO: 40 honoree as one of the 40 most influential publishers in America
http://www.creativecow.net

Creativity is a process wherein the student and the teacher are located in the same individual.

"Incompetence has never prevented me from plunging in with enthusiasm."
- Woody Allen

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those that matter, don't mind -- and those that mind, don't matter." - Dr. Seuss

Return to posts index

Mathieu Ghekiere
on Jun 13, 2012 at 2:44:42 pm

Thanks for the reply, Ronald.

Strange. You three boards are at my opinion all good, and all have your down and upsides.

But thanks for the explanation, though.

Return to posts index

Ronald Lindeboom
on Jun 13, 2012 at 3:02:31 pm

[Mathieu Ghekiere] "You three boards are at my opinion all good, and all have your down and upsides. "

I never said they weren't good, Mathieu. I simply said that they suck. ;)

But they think the same of me, so in the interest of balance and fair play, I thought I'd mention that, too.

Best regards,

Ronald Lindeboom
CEO, Creative COW LLC
A 2011 FOLIO: 40 honoree as one of the 40 most influential publishers in America

Creativity is a process wherein the student and the teacher are located in the same individual.

- Woody Allen

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those that matter, don't mind -- and those that mind, don't matter." - Dr. Seuss

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Jun 13, 2012 at 6:41:28 pm

What he said.

Tim

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 13, 2012 at 2:31:39 pm

[Mathieu Ghekiere] "No, his suggestion is about the NEXT release of Xeon processors, with a 22nm process (or how do you call it?) "

Sorry, I didn't see Paul's second link and had only read the first one. Makes a lot more sense now!

I don't disagree that Apple should be planning for Ivy Bridge -- but I can't understand why they would have planned to skip Sandy Bridge.

They've apparently deliberately chosen to neglect their professional users for a year (or more, depending on how you count). Apple says they care about pros with their words, but what do they say with their actions?

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Jun 13, 2012 at 9:23:56 pm

[Walter Soyka] "I don't disagree that Apple should be planning for Ivy Bridge -- but I can't understand why they would have planned to skip Sandy Bridge."

It makes no sense, so it must not be the reason. Ivy Bridge in the Xeon class is just a die shrink. No new anything else, it isn't like the Core line where the controllers were the big story. Ivy Bridge Xeons will use the same C600 series controllers as today's Sandy Bridge Xeons. There is no faster RAM to be had in more channels, no USB 3, no integrated GPU. It is just a die shrink and the attendant incremental decrease in power consumption and slight increase in clock speeds. That's it. Nothing to wait for. The E5 Xeons are the big leap forward, and they are already here.

[Walter Soyka] "They've apparently deliberately chosen to neglect their professional users for a year (or more, depending on how you count). Apple says they care about pros with their words, but what do they say with their actions?"

At this point I'm convinced whatever it is they are taking their good sweet time on is going to be a huge letdown for anyone expecting a proper workstation.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Paul Dickin
on Jun 13, 2012 at 9:41:27 pm

[Andrew Richards] "whatever it is they are taking their good sweet time on is going to be a huge letdown for anyone expecting a proper..."
Hi
Apple have supplied the one word paraphrase for that sentiment: "Awesome!"

[Andrew Richards] "It makes no sense, so it must not be the reason."
What is? Does the Haswell CPU/chipset/IGPU bring anything to the table by 2013?

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Jun 14, 2012 at 4:22:45 am

Haswell fits Cook's release projection. The are due March-June of next year. It is supposed to bring performance improvements with 22nm.

Jim Wiseman

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 13, 2012 at 2:08:16 am

[Jim Wiseman] "Well here's word from Tim Cook, the CEO, in an email confirmed by Apple to Macworld. "

Thanks for posting this, Jim.

I know you intend to wait it out, so I do hope that whatever new professional Mac Apple is working on will meet your needs when it's released.

I'm certainly looking forward to seeing what Apple comes up with, but I'm sticking with my decision last year to go cross-platform and break my reliance on Apple, and I'm going to have a hard time recommending Apple solutions while the desktop line is on hold.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Jun 13, 2012 at 2:22:20 am

You're welcome. Forbes just updated their article to say Apple informed them the 2013 timeframe only applies to the Mac Pro update, which would lead one to believe the iMac will come sooner. I wasn't planning on updating until next year anyway when my Applecare runs out. Everything with this system, 2010 5,1 is working well.

Jim Wiseman

Return to posts index

Richard Cardonna
Here we go again
on Jun 13, 2012 at 6:21:02 pm

Like a junkie for a cure The fanboys are looking for another reason to live. I can't belive this its pathetic.

Richard

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
Re: Here we go again
on Jun 13, 2012 at 6:58:21 pm

I freely admit to being a junky. I have been so for the past thirteen years. But when your connection starts adding mostly milk sugar to the mix then it's time to find a new supplier.

Tim

Return to posts index

Ronald Lindeboom
on Jun 13, 2012 at 7:12:07 pm

[TImothy Auld] "when your connection starts adding mostly milk sugar to the mix then it's time to find a new supplier."

Yeah, Kathlyn and I had to do just that because Bessie started slipping in more and more milk sugar into the mix. (She mootered something about it building strong teeth and bones but I didn't buy it.)

With everything else coming out of China nowadays, it seems only natural that we'll start getting our junk from China next. They won't use milk sugar to cut, they'll use melamine. It looks the same. ;o)

Best regards,

Ronald Lindeboom
CEO, Creative COW LLC

- Woody Allen

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jun 14, 2012 at 4:37:51 am

[Ronald Lindeboom] "With everything else coming out of China nowadays, it seems only natural that we'll start getting our junk from China next. They won't use milk sugar to cut, they'll use melamine. "

Sigh. Melamine-spiked heparin killed my ex's mother. I will never, ever look at Chinese products the same way again. And, any time someone tells me that regulations just get in the way, and that it is the best interest of corporations to police their own actions, I use her story to illustrate exactly how murderous an open market free-for-all can be. Sorry for the buzz-kill. That was all some years ago.

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Jun 14, 2012 at 11:06:38 am

I worked on a doc for a while about adulterated and flat out counterfeit drugs. Unbeleiveably scary. And the pharm companies lobby against and resist measures that could easily prevent 99 % of it. Sad.

Tim

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jun 14, 2012 at 4:39:24 pm

[TImothy Auld] "I worked on a doc for a while about adulterated and flat out counterfeit drugs. Unbeleiveably scary. And the pharm companies lobby against and resist measures that could easily prevent 99 % of it. Sad.
"

It was wild stuff. To add to the International flavor of things, she was a retiree living in Mexico. So American drugs from a Chinese source in a Mexican hospital. It made for some amazing triangular finger pointing.

Return to posts index

Ronald Lindeboom
OT: Here we go again
on Jun 14, 2012 at 5:38:03 pm

What is very sad is that people believe that the pharmaceutical companies are actually regulated by the FDA. Less that 15% of new drugs are EVER submitted for any kind of review or testing -- only 1-in-5 is even afforded paperwork submitted before release -- and within 5 years, half of the new drugs are quietly pulled from the marketplace as too dangerous.

The head of the FDA is nearly always taken from the upper-echelons of drug company management.

We are on our own kids and if you think they are watching out for you, to quote the prophet Judas Priest, "You got another thing comin'."

Best regards,

Ronald Lindeboom
CEO, Creative COW LLC

- Woody Allen

Return to posts index

Ronald Lindeboom
on Jun 13, 2012 at 7:17:19 pm

[Richard Cardonna] "Like a junkie for a cure The fanboys are looking for another reason to live. I can't belive this its pathetic."

Oddly enough, the anti-Apple fanboys seem to be lining up with just as pathetic a life to live. I cannot remember the last time I saw a Mac user anywhere in this site giving PC users shit for what they use. But there are always some Windows people who seem to have little else to do.

That's just my take on the whole affair -- oh, and I could be wrong because I don't go out of my way to look for stuff like that.

Best regards,

Ronald Lindeboom
CEO, Creative COW LLC

- Woody Allen

Return to posts index

Richard Cardonna
on Jun 13, 2012 at 8:31:15 pm

I am not in any way belittling apple at all. Just an attitude in some that imop is strange. I could understand if the only alternative was apple but at this moment in many aspects its not in price nor in capabilities.

I was waiting for FCP10 and a new G5 to entre Apple realm but sadly it will not happen for now, Hey but I have an Ipod.

Richard

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Jun 14, 2012 at 4:15:00 am

Hear, hear, Ron!

Jim Wiseman

Return to posts index

Thomas Frank
on Jun 13, 2012 at 8:58:06 pm

Your a fanboy!

Return to posts index

Richard Cardonna
on Jun 13, 2012 at 9:06:48 pm

yes I am a fanboy of practicality and pragmatism of being my own man

Return to posts index

Thomas Frank
on Jun 13, 2012 at 9:08:58 pm

being your own man... that just sounds wrong lol

good one!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 13, 2012 at 6:49:05 pm

[Jim Wiseman] "which would lead one to believe the iMac will come sooner"

Or the MacPro and iMac will be consolidated. Ivy Bridge which could be used for iMacs have been around now so there's probably little reason they couldn't have done this already. The only other possibility is that they're working towards some behemoth 27" Retinal Display. I guess that kills them for the over 40 market. ;)

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Jun 14, 2012 at 4:13:27 am

For 27" of Retina I'd get my glasses updated!

Jim Wiseman

Return to posts index

David Geysar
on Jan 19, 2013 at 12:56:51 pm

My Pac Pro early 2008 just died on me :( I think its the motherboard. I dont know what to do now, wait for "Mac Pro 2013" to come out or buy something else!
Do you know if the new one will come out soon or is it all talks at the moment? Will they announce it soon?
Many thanks

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jan 19, 2013 at 1:10:35 pm

I don't think we'll see anything for a few months yet.

Steve Connor
'It's just my opinion, with an occasional fact thrown in for good measure"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]