COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Glen Hurd
Apple's Crusade
on Jun 12, 2012 at 7:30:55 pm

A couple of links.

Apple Really Is Going To Try To Kill Google - Business Insider

Google, Apple Battle Over ‘SoLoMo’ - Tech Europe - WSJ

To sum up, Jobs started a grudge match with Google, and that's the primary focus for Apple right now. It involves several strategies - 1) kill the need for web search - replacing Google search with mobile apps that offer superior results. 2) create a commercial dependence for businesses on Apple's mobile apps that not only replace loyalty cards but offer easier payment methods in general - not to mention much more effective advertising (iPhone nudges you every time you pass within a certain distance of Starbucks - for instance).

This, to me, explains so much about where Apple's head is at. Apple used to be computer-centric. It used to play at being the Siren for the creative folk. But, right now, it's distracted by an epic battle fueled by revenge, power, and even more wealth. We're not small potatoes. We're smaller. If you rolled our importance to Apple up into a ball, and rolled it down the edge of a razor blade, it would look like a BB bouncing down a 10-lane freeway!

Ironically, I don't despise them. That's life - I see the strategy.
Who's going to sell shovels when they can own whole financial systems? They're going from being the underpinning to an ecosystem that helped editors get their work done to an ecosystem by which all trade depends! Talk about scaling up!
Apple could be fighting for the way we even think of banks. (If you doubt me, just wait a few years.)

Shovels on aisle 3, ram on aisle 5, if you like our brand, buy a cute iMac at the front - just pay with your app at the checkout. Oh, and we love the professionals . . . just keep in mind . . . you're not in Kansas anymore.

Next!

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
Re: Apple's Crusade
on Jun 12, 2012 at 10:15:02 pm

Way off topic but your comments prompt me to say that I for one support Apple is this competition with Google. My version of Google's motto is "We do evil every day."

After the naive Steve Jobs entrusted Apple's Director Eric with the keys to the palace, Eric thanked him by doing his best to steal the cutlery, drink the wine, and poison Steve's favourite dog. Absolutely no scruples in a position of trust. And Steve still met with him for coffee in public when it was all over and didn't shoot him--incredible restraint.

I've done all I can do personally by no longer using Google's search engine. After the international stealing of personal WiFi networks while preparing their Google Mao street views, how can anyone trust their intentions?

Your post does raise many good points however and it's very important to remain humble and wary of one's own success. END OF OFF TOPIC.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Ronald Lindeboom
on Jun 12, 2012 at 11:02:40 pm

[Rick Lang] "After the international stealing of personal WiFi networks while preparing their Google Map street views, how can anyone trust their intentions?"

My personal view on this is that pretty much anyone over the age of 35 worries about this, while nearly everyone I know under the age of 35 doesn't see anything wrong with it.

Most of the young people that I know look at the world differently than I do. They think nothing of leaving their WiFi network wide open and shared with anyone standing near or walking by. Me? I'd never leave my network open.

Google uploading street images across open WiFi networks is not only NOT offensive to most of the under 30s that I know, but they would welcome it. The whole idea of social media is truly "social" to them.

They view the network as an organic collective much in the same way that Native Americans looked at the Earth, believing that no one really owned it, it belonged to everyone who lived on it.

Technologies like Torrent feeds, Spotify, Tubes, etc., all work on the idea that the network is you, me and everyone who is tapped into it -- we not only feed from the network but we ourselves collectively help fuel and feed it, as well.

These are fascinating times we live in, times in which the very fabric of our societal constructs and under-pinnings are being rethought, changed and rewritten.

Best regards,

Ronald Lindeboom
CEO, Creative COW LLC
Publisher, Creative COW Magazine
A 2011 FOLIO: 40 honoree as one of the 40 most influential publishers in America
http://www.creativecow.net

Creativity is a process wherein the student and the teacher are located in the same individual.

"Incompetence has never prevented me from plunging in with enthusiasm."
- Woody Allen

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those that matter, don't mind -- and those that mind, don't matter." - Dr. Seuss

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Jun 13, 2012 at 3:27:55 am

[Ronald Lindeboom] "These are fascinating times we live in, times in which the very fabric of our societal constructs and under-pinnings are being rethought, changed and rewritten."

All true Ron. Integrity, accountability, responsibility, honesty, trust all cannot be taken for granted as being a given in a person’s or a corporation’s core values. If only the world was more like the Creative COW!

Rick

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Ronald Lindeboom
on Jun 13, 2012 at 3:34:40 am

[Rick Lang] "If only the world was more like the Creative COW!"

I just looked over at Bessie, Rick -- and she's blushing.

She also says the next round of milk shakes are on her.

;o)

Thanks for the kind words, Rick.

Best regards,

Ronald Lindeboom
CEO, Creative COW LLC
Publisher, Creative COW Magazine
A 2011 FOLIO: 40 honoree as one of the 40 most influential publishers in America
http://www.creativecow.net

Creativity is a process wherein the student and the teacher are located in the same individual.

"Incompetence has never prevented me from plunging in with enthusiasm."
- Woody Allen

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those that matter, don't mind -- and those that mind, don't matter." - Dr. Seuss

Return to posts index

Paul Dickin
on Jun 12, 2012 at 11:32:58 pm

Hi
If Apple is going for Google –
then somewhere between iCloud and Facebook, and the iPhone camera (with Partners like Panasonic et al) –
through a metatdata-based video edit ecosystem –
it has to have a long-term strategy of circumventing YouTube.

FCP X (or rather what it will become) fits there right in the frame...

Return to posts index

Mark Bein
on Jun 13, 2012 at 1:12:58 pm

"Apple Really is going to try to kill Google"
is a bad article. How could they kill Google when they "own" less then half of the mobile market?
The majority of handsets will still use Google maps.
It's a defensive move. Maps and local search are very useful for smartphones,
you wouldn't want to rely on a competitor.
Maybe Google did not give them all the features (turn by turn navigation)?

Return to posts index

Glen Hurd
on Jun 13, 2012 at 8:21:47 pm

I thought it pointed to a bigger picture. It's not just doing battle with Google, but the way that battle will open their eyes to new terrain. It's one thing to build apps that circumvent the need for macro search engines, it's another to build an entire ecosystem that could end up replacing whole economic systems. Some of the world's greatest inventions are discovered while doing something else - like fighting. Meanwhile, we sit wondering why Apple's moves don't reflect a lot of energy for our camp. The reality is, we're paddling in canoes and they're off dreaming about space ships.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]