FORUMS: list search recent posts

Classy, Apple, Classy -- Manipulating Your Product Reviews!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lloyd Claycomb
Classy, Apple, Classy -- Manipulating Your Product Reviews!
on Jun 22, 2011 at 2:45:44 pm

We all know the stir that Apple dished on us by giving us iMovie Pro (no compatability with FCP7, no multicam, no export support, and on and on).

Last night I checked the Mac App Store product ratings and they were the following:

5-star 102
4-star 20
3-star 33
4-star 48
5-star 161

So I woke up this morning and refreshed the page to see how much worse the damage got and, what do you know! A TOTALLY different story. As of right now (8:30 AM MST, 6/22/11):

5-star 116
4-star 28
3-star 35
2-star 34
1-star 149

I was watching it all day yesterday and noticed a steady 1:2 ratio between 1-star and 5-star ratings. That is, for every 5-star ratings, there would be 2 new 1-star ratings.

AMAZING how the ratings would shift like that overnight. How can negative rates just disappear? Well, just take a look at corrupt governments for the answer:

You remember Saddam Hussein's "election" before the US went in to topple him? It was to prove to the world that their leader was beyond-awesome. The results of that "open" election? A stunning 99.9% in favor! Incredible.

Just like Communist Russia, just like North Korea.

But I tell you what, I'm defecting. If your product sticks, face the music and admit to making a mistake--a huge mistake.

Our "Supreme Leader" said that this version of Final Cut was to be "JAW DROPPING." It's SOooooo not. It's the final straw on the proverbial camel for me.

It's clear Apple doesn't care about its old time pro guys any more and they are focusing on the Aunt Marges of the world so they can make awesome baby shower videos.

And now, instead of looking at the numbers and saying "we blew it!" they are CHANGING the numbers as a form of damage control.

Apple, how about THIS as damage control:

1. Admit that you messed up BAD! And you never expect this backlash from your sheep.

2. Either tell us you are focusing on the Aunt Marges now, or LAY out your planned "updates" for the next 3 months. Is Multicam on that agenda? If not, I'm out of here. Backwards compatability ever going to happen? Yes, No? What? Open your mouth for once. The program was already a full year and a half behind Adobe CS5 and we hung on because the Supreme Leader assured us it was goign to be jaw dropping. Well, it was. But in a very bad way.

3. Offer to those who want it (me!) a refund on the product. I don't want something for nothing, so disable the software somehow or force me to delete it. I don't care. I dont' want it. And I want my $300 back! Quit giving me the run around at customer disservice.

That's damage control, NOT MANIPULATING THE REVIEW NUMBERS! That's just WRONG and DECEITFUL!

BYE! It was nice while it lasted, but I'm an ex-patriot now Apple.

Return to posts index

Chris Conlee
Re: Classy, Apple, Classy -- Manipulating Your Product Reviews!
on Jun 22, 2011 at 3:18:49 pm

Hmmm, I noticed the same thing. Very disgusting, I have to say. I just took a screen grab of the page, and will do it again later. Apple should own this fiasco.

Return to posts index

Guthrie Andres
on Jun 22, 2011 at 3:29:53 pm

I think it may be decreasing because offensive posts, ones that use four letter words and other bad language are being removed by moderators. Since these posts also tend to be the ones that give the product a single star, the number of single star reviews goes down more than other numbers of stars. Just my theory because I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, even when they don't necessarily deserve it.

Return to posts index

Stephen Bakopanos
on Jun 22, 2011 at 3:34:12 pm

I think it's possible to update your rating on a program. It's highly likely that many people immediately gave it a 1 star rating before giving it a proper go, and then revised their ratings upwards. Either that or Apple's fiddling with the numbers.... ;)

Return to posts index

Adam McCune
on Jun 22, 2011 at 4:05:58 pm

For what it's worth - the One Star rating is now at "162"...and Four star is "119"

I think people are hopping mad about this release, and it will be interesting to watch Apple's response to it.

...but let's all try and take a deep breath. Cooler heads will prevail.

Return to posts index

MIke Guidotti
on Jun 22, 2011 at 4:01:05 pm

Our "Supreme Leader" said that this version of Final Cut was to be "JAW DROPPING." It's SOooooo not. It's the final straw on the proverbial camel for me.

(unsure on how to quote properly)

It was "jaw dropping" allright! I was incredilous at all the cool stuff they din't put in!

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Jun 22, 2011 at 4:29:51 pm

Yup... I agree. Secrecy sucks

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: From Still to Motion, Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and Motion Graphics with Adobe Creative Suite 5 Studio Techniques

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Jun 23, 2011 at 12:19:50 am

Brilliant! Thanx.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]