FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lets wait...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Viktor Kamenick√Ĺ
Lets wait...
on Jun 11, 2012 at 11:53:05 pm

...for another 6 months to be upset

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/11/david-pogue-new-imacs-and-mac-pros-comi...

"You never want to get to get a call from the editing room"
Art Adams

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
Re: Lets wait...
on Jun 12, 2012 at 1:10:34 am

...and then another 6 months, and then some more...and once it's truly EOL, then Apple's going to replace it something, so let's wait some more.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 12, 2012 at 1:26:28 am

Seems like the obvious reference ;-)

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 12, 2012 at 1:45:55 am

Most of us have waited three years for a successor to FCS3. Meanwhile PC hardware and software has advanced considerably.

So why wait? Can't see an obvious advantage in waiting.

Return to posts index

Gordon Modin
on Jun 12, 2012 at 2:34:21 am

Michael put it very well when he said "Can't see an obvious advantage in waiting." We are not SUPPOSED to want or even like the new Mac Pro that Apple just released. We are SUPPOSED to get fed up and move on. By releasing something so totally inadequate, Apple is forcing us to see the advantages to owning FCX on a laptop or iMac. If you reverse engineer FCX it points to an iMac anyway. No USB 3, no Thunderbolt? Do you think the engineers simply forgot to put those in? If they were included, management instructed them to take it out. If we received the Mac Pro we are all pining for (the totally fibre optic motherboard) it would be too ridiculously expensive. Pound-for-pound (4.5 lb. versus a small tank) there is more profit in a MBP. Apple is allowing the Mac Pro to die without killing it. You can set up all the Facebook pages you want, but Tim Cook is first and foremost a bean counter. What do bean counters do? The kill off the stragglers to benefit the herd. Just like in the case of FC7 to FCX, we are being herded in a particular direction. Still can't figure out Apple's logic, but they do, indeed, have one. I just don't agree with it.

Gordon Modin
switched to Adobe Premiere CS6 on two aging Mac Pros

Return to posts index

Bobby Mosca
on Jun 12, 2012 at 2:57:08 am

Indeed. The lion's share of recording studios use Mac Pros. In The next 8 months, I'd bet a large majority (like 85% or more) that do upgrade will move to PC. As for editors, it's hard to say. Final Cut was never cross platform.

All that excitement over Smoke got a cold bath today.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 12, 2012 at 2:58:10 am

[Gordon Modin] "Apple is forcing us to see the advantages to owning FCX on a laptop or iMac."

According to David Pogue no new iMac until 2013 either.

Thunderbolt on MacPro is a challenge given it also carries the GPU which would mean building it in the board (like iMac or MBP) rather than a separate GPU card.

They could have moved to the new Xeon Sandy Bridge chips though and 6Gb SATA as a more reasonable short term upgrade.

They could have upgraded the iMac to Ivy Bridge and added USB3.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jun 12, 2012 at 3:04:09 am

[Craig Seeman] "According to David Pogue no new iMac until 2013 either."

I think Pogue is full of shit. I'm assuming we'll see an iMac/Mac Mini update before the end of summer.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 12, 2012 at 2:19:31 pm

[Gary Huff] "I think Pogue is full of shit."

I hope so. I was thinking if there's no MacPro, I'd be looking at the next iMac update. If that's not going to happen then I have no desktop to update to.

Return to posts index

Frank Gothmann
on Jun 12, 2012 at 2:28:31 pm

[Craig Seeman] " I was thinking if there's no MacPro, I'd be looking at the next iMac update. If that's not going to happen then I have no desktop to update to."

So you've essentially moved from "waiting/hoping for potential Mac Pro update" to "waiting/hoping for potential iMac update".

------
"You also agree that you will not use these products for... the development, design, manufacture or production of nuclear, missiles, or chemical or biological weapons."
iTunes End User Licence Agreement

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 12, 2012 at 3:11:47 pm

[Frank Gothmann] "So you've essentially moved from "waiting/hoping for potential Mac Pro update" to "waiting/hoping for potential iMac update"."

Actually hope is fading. I would have settled for an iMac update as an interim less expensive solution but that's not happening until 2013. Now the entire Mac desktop line is aging.

I was hoping for a new MacPro, willing to settle for an iMac as an interim solution and now will have nothing for 2012 and who know how far into 2013.

Return to posts index

Bobby Mosca
on Jun 12, 2012 at 3:14:01 am

Well I will say this: It's not time for an iMac update. Their usual timetable on that has been the fall, so I wasn't expecting news on that front. iMac news will be thrown in with the New iPhone in September (or whenever).

Apple's secrecy makes tons of sense when innovating, but products for professionals (of any stripe) aren't innovative at all. In another forum I was reminded of Apple's "no market research" policy, which I'm not sure I believe, but seems plausible given a pretty large blind spot when it comes to business. Practically everyone wants to work on a Mac. Likewise, those who can afford one buy one for home. The market is ripe for the taking, but Apple seems uninterested.

But hey, what can you expect when a company is taken over by an Auburn grad? ;)

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jun 12, 2012 at 3:21:54 am

[Bobby Mosca] "Well I will say this: It's not time for an iMac update. Their usual timetable on that has been the fall, so I wasn't expecting news on that front. iMac news will be thrown in with the New iPhone in September (or whenever)."

This iMac has gone very long in the update cycle. The iMac hasn't been update in well over a year and it's usually update every 10 months or so and , at least according to the MacRumors buyer's guide, it's usually updated in Spring/Summer.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iMac

Return to posts index

Bobby Mosca
on Jun 12, 2012 at 3:36:15 am

Ah, I see that now. I didn't realize the last one was so early in the year. Well, Apple has had steady growth in computer sales since the release of the i

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jun 12, 2012 at 3:38:24 am

[Bobby Mosca] "Ah, I see that now. I didn't realize the last one was so early in the year. Well, Apple has had steady growth in computer sales since the release of the i"

Be interesting if Apple exits the desktop market entirely in one fell swoop...

Return to posts index

Bobby Mosca
on Jun 12, 2012 at 3:37:48 am

Ah, I see that now. I didn't realize the last one was so early in the year. Well, Apple has had steady growth in computer sales since the release of the iPhone. It'll be interesting to see what happens now that there is so much uncertainty in their commitment to computers.

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jun 12, 2012 at 3:23:02 am

You know there are other people out there that use the Mac Pro besides video editors. An example is the astronomy community. Many of the features that you want to see in the 'new' Mac Pro are not all that important to them.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jun 12, 2012 at 3:31:16 am

[Scott Sheriff] "Many of the features that you want to see in the 'new' Mac Pro are not all that important to them."

I don't need USB3.0 built-on. As soon as an OSX update comes out that widely supports it, I can easily put in an add-on card. I really don't care about Thunderbolt either. Newer graphics card support is needed (AMD 7000-series or NVIDIA 500-600 series) and I don't want to drop a lot of cash on something that's not quite as fast.

I mean, how does a average-priced Mac Pro compare to the i7 in the latest iterations?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 12, 2012 at 4:24:05 am

http://www.barefeats.com/fcpx01.html

FCPX see 2011 iMac vs 2010 6 core MacPro

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jun 12, 2012 at 7:33:33 pm

[Gary Huff] "I don't need USB3.0 built-on. As soon as an OSX update comes out that widely supports it, I can easily put in an add-on card"

And waste what precious little PCIe slots there are on something that should have been built in?

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jun 12, 2012 at 8:38:19 pm

[Herb Sevush] "
And waste what precious little PCIe slots there are on something that should have been built in?"

Well, I don't prefer it, but if you want USB3 in a Mac Pro, that's currently your only option.

Return to posts index

Frank Gothmann
on Jun 12, 2012 at 6:33:43 am

[Craig Seeman] "
Thunderbolt on MacPro is a challenge given it also carries the GPU which would mean building it in the board (like iMac or MBP) rather than a separate GPU card.
"

Why? If ASUS is perfectly capable of building a motherboard (p8Z77-V) with Thunderbolt AND PCIe3 supporting FOUR GPUs via Crossfire at a price of only 180 dollars (including USB3 and eSata and dual GB Ethernet and HDMI and....) I am damn sure Apple could do the same - if they wanted.
Seriously, USB2 and FW800 only in 2012 is just completely pathetic and a ripp-off.

------
"You also agree that you will not use these products for... the development, design, manufacture or production of nuclear, missiles, or chemical or biological weapons."

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 12, 2012 at 2:26:33 pm

Please post a link to such Asus desktop.
It's nothing I've heard of.
Thunderbolt carries the GPU out as well.

Return to posts index

Frank Gothmann
on Jun 12, 2012 at 2:33:19 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Please post a link to such Asus desktop.
It's nothing I've heard of.
Thunderbolt carries the GPU out as well.
"

I said motherboard.
Here we go:
http://event.asus.com/2012/mb/P8Z77_Series_Motherboards/Thunderbolt_landing...

And no, gpu out via TB isn't that easy if there is also PCIe connectivity on the motherboard. But Asus did it. There is an add on card if you need video out via TB, without this card TB will simply connect at full speed to other external IO but not support display.

------

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jun 12, 2012 at 2:43:52 pm

[Frank Gothmann] "without this card TB will simply connect at full speed to other external IO but not support display."

I'm not speaking about Craig, but a bunch of Mac people are so focused on Thunderbolt that they're missing a key point: it solves a problem that many people just don't have.

I/O, cool. It's not a complete solution, because so many devices have more than one interface, but hey, that's fine.

But one reason to prefer a PC is that there are so many more options, more powerful and flexible, than Thunderbolt can offer. Insisting that a motherboard doesn't meet your requirements unless it has a lesser-performing connection, to a lesser-performing monitor -- sad. Apple's best desktop monitor has fewer colors than my laptop. I'm just not in a hurry to connect to it.

So yeah, I'm looking forward to Thunderbolt eventually, but I'm also in no hurry to buy devices that only use Thunderbolt.

Why? It's dandy. It's adorable. Seriously, cute as a button. And fast enough for being as cute as it is. But it doesn't solve any problems that I have that can't also be solved other ways.

I'm usually missing something -- what am I missing here?

Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine
Twitter: timdoubleyou

Return to posts index

Frank Gothmann
on Jun 12, 2012 at 3:00:58 pm

[Tim Wilson] "So yeah, I'm looking forward to Thunderbolt eventually, but I'm also in no hurry to buy devices that only use Thunderbolt.

Why? It's dandy. It's adorable. Seriously, cute as a button. And fast enough for being as cute as it is. But it doesn't solve any problems that I have that can't also be solved other ways.

I'm usually missing something -- what am I missing here?"

Not sure if you miss anything. I am with you, which is why I don't care if the HPs have TB connectivity or not. And I guess a lot of people here could have lived with a decent Mac Pro update that left out TB but went with E5s, USB3, PCIe3 and modern GPUs.

------

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 12, 2012 at 3:25:41 pm

[Tim Wilson] "'m usually missing something -- what am I missing here?"

Being able to buy devices that can be used on an entire line from portable to workstation without redundancy.

It adds PCIe connectivity for computers that previously had limited expansion. Obviously it's not mission critical for a workstation but it would be a nice convenience. Apple could have changed other aspects of the MacPro without a major redesign in the interim. They could have updated the iMac as an inexpensive interim as well.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 12, 2012 at 3:15:52 pm

Yes that too could have been an interim solution but Apple doesn't design their own motherboards. Of course one could argue that they should. They may well be working on their own solution . . . to arrive in 2013 unfortunately.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 12, 2012 at 3:46:33 pm

Looking at it, it's not Xeon based. Not a workstation. Not something that would fit in Apple's product line at the moment. Apple probably has their own solution in the works (or Intel) given the 2013 date given by Pogue. Apple still could have moved MacPro to Sandy Bridge Xeons and skipped Thunderbolt for the time being.

Return to posts index

Frank Gothmann
on Jun 12, 2012 at 4:05:23 pm

[Craig Seeman] "oking at it, it's not Xeon based. Not a workstation. Not something that would fit in Apple's product line at the moment. Apple probably has their own solution in the works (or Intel) given the 2013 date given by Pogue. Apple still could have moved MacPro to Sandy Bridge Xeons and skipped Thunderbolt for the time being."

No, it's not Xeon based. But that wasn't my point, it was to illustrate that it's perfectly possible to integrate TB with dedicated GPUs via PCIe3. I have also very little doubt that Xeon based MBs will show up in the not too distant future.
In the same way as USB3 has been part of virtually all PC motherboards for years although not directly supported by previous Intel chipsets, the same is possible for TB and dedicated GPUs. Apple just couldn't be bothered.
And yes, they could have just moved to E3s, USB3, PCIe3 etc. without TB and without much engineering involved and it would have been a decent upgrade a lot of people would have been very happy with. Certainly a lot happier than with the "new" they got now.

------

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 12, 2012 at 4:16:34 pm

[Frank Gothmann] "No, it's not Xeon based. But that wasn't my point, it was to illustrate that it's perfectly possible to integrate TB with dedicated GPUs via PCIe3. I have also very little doubt that Xeon based MBs will show up in the not too distant future."

This may be what Apple is waiting for. Intel may be working on a solution (maybe even with Apple as partner). I suspect Apple knows a roadmap assuming (yes an assumption) Pogue's quoting his Apple source accurately.

[Frank Gothmann] "And yes, they could have just moved to E3s, USB3, PCIe3 etc. without TB and without much engineering involved and it would have been a decent upgrade a lot of people would have been very happy with. Certainly a lot happier than with the "new" they got now."

I couldn't agree more. If anything, Apple's decisions seems to mean they have no interest in interim updates for their desktop line (both MacPro and iMac).

Return to posts index

Clint Wardlow
on Jun 12, 2012 at 4:11:40 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Looking at it, it's not Xeon based. Not a workstation. Not something that would fit in Apple's product line at the moment. Apple probably has their own solution in the works (or Intel) given the 2013 date given by Pogue. Apple still could have moved MacPro to Sandy Bridge Xeons and skipped Thunderbolt for the time being."

And that I think this is the problem, the upgrade was so lame that it cannot be construed as anything but a diss. If nothing else they could have offered a drop in price across the board. Instead it's as if Apple is forcing those locked into Mac hardware to pay a premium for 2-year-old technology.

I can't see anybody else paying Mac prices for what the "updated" Mac Pro offers. It seems like greedy price gouging aimed at those that need new machines but aren't able to make the change to PC as of yet.

Return to posts index

Phil Hoppes
on Jun 12, 2012 at 5:57:32 am

Why?????????????????????

Move on. Get your work done. Quit worrying about it.

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Jun 12, 2012 at 12:16:16 pm

I'm disappointed mostly by the lack of graphics updates and system memory etc. So I'll stick with my old ones for now.

Not sure why anyone should care about Thunderbolt or USB3 on a computer that can use Fibre or 10GbE via a PCI card - except as a means of plugging in portable drives.

To me the update is significant if only because they put a 'new' tag on it on the store. The processor updates were no doubt due to a lack of the older ones in supply chains (these are more recent equivalents) - but I think they were sending a message here to the FB groups etc. - otherwise why tag it new at all?

Contrary to the usual hysteria, I think the message from Apple is "the Mac Pro is not going away - but it is in a holding pattern whilst we replace it." The technology is coming together to make it. I think it will come too late for some - but that's life. I'm not stampeding away from OSX when I still have viable, reliable money-making systems running software I know backwards, and with which my clients are very happy.

If you disagree with that last paragraph - no worries. But bear in mind my interpretation of this move has just as much basis in fact as the idea that the Mac Pro is dead - in other words it's all conjecture.

And - barring the usual braggadocio on here - I suspect neither are many of you.

Stop reading tealeaves - or the entrails of what you believe are dead animals. It will only give you ulcers.

Edit Out Ltd
----------------------------
FCP Editor/Trainer/System Consultant
EVS/VT Supervisor for live broadcast
RED camera transfer/post
Independent Director/Producer

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/community/communitydetails/?UserStoryId=87...

Return to posts index

Frank Gothmann
on Jun 12, 2012 at 1:02:28 pm

[Ben Holmes] "Contrary to the usual hysteria, I think the message from Apple is "the Mac Pro is not going away - but it is in a holding pattern whilst we replace it." The technology is coming together to make it."

There is nothing technology wise that needs to come together. It's out there, shipping. Wether the Mac Pro is dead, to be phased out, in a holding pattern, to be re-invented in 2013 or whatever: fact is that HERE and NOW and "NEW" is a "workstation" which should fill the spot of the most powerful and versatile machine Apple is shipping. Not only is it currently among their weakest, with outdated components and ridiculous io but also the most expensive machine in their line-up that qualifies to be among the worst workstation choices out there.

Simply judging it as a product, price/performance wise and in light of what the competition does: it's an embarassing product and I feel bad for anyone who needs to buy one of these machines for whatever reason in the months ahead. They have every reason to be hysterical and pissed off because they've been pissed on.
Again, flawed logic as with FCPX, the promise of great things to come someday (maybe) doesn't do anything, zero, zilch, for someone who wants and needs a Mac tower with certain functionality today.

------

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Jun 12, 2012 at 1:23:48 pm

It's not true to say that everything is there for a new type of Mac Pro. There is no solution to the 'monitor out' requirements of Thunderbolt for machines with high end gfx cards. Smaller alternatives to SATA drives are still a little too expensive to be widely used - and warrant a shrinking of the drive bays (unless you want to put notebook drives in a Mac Pro), and most people still want to run cards on a PCIe bus. In addition, new generation server chips (which have a much larger die than desktop equivalents) are not available yet in large quantities as the yields are lower on these chips. Apart from USB3 - what compelling new technology exists to warrant a change to the Mac Pro? And given the slow update cycle of large server grade chips - what newer chips exist to put in what has always been a server class machine? If you want desktop chips, Apple are happy to sell you an iMac. I think they're very good value.

If you can't wait - don't. I can wait - and I will, because of my desire to keep using an operating system and ecosystem I've invested 10 years in and which I believe is superior to support and run. And because even the Mac Pros I bought in 2008 still do everything I need - mine have CUDA gfx and 16Gb Ram and run CS6 very nicely, as well as FCP7 which I still make my money with - oh and Avid. I'm not aware of a PC which can do all of this. Hackintoshes (although I've built them for personal use) have no professional interest for me.

Sorry to say I don't subscribe to the "Apple has abandoned us" meme - but I respect the opinions of those who do. When there is a compelling combination of software and hardware that makes me want to buy a PC - I probably will, unless Apple gets there first. So far, I see no rush.

Ben

Edit Out Ltd
----------------------------
FCP Editor/Trainer/System Consultant
EVS/VT Supervisor for live broadcast
RED camera transfer/post
Independent Director/Producer

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/community/communitydetails/?UserStoryId=87...

Return to posts index

Frank Gothmann
on Jun 12, 2012 at 1:35:28 pm

[Ben Holmes] "It's not true to say that everything is there for a new type of Mac Pro. There is no solution to the 'monitor out' requirements of Thunderbolt for machines with high end gfx cards. Smaller alternatives to SATA drives are still a little too expensive to be widely used - and warrant a shrinking of the drive bays (unless you want to put notebook drives in a Mac Pro), and most people still want to run cards on a PCIe bus. In addition, new generation server chips (which have a much larger die than desktop equivalents) are not available yet in large quantities as the yields are lower on these chips. Apart from USB3 - what compelling new technology exists to warrant a change to the Mac Pro? And given the slow update cycle of large server grade chips - what newer chips exist to put in what has always been a server class machine? If you want desktop chips, Apple are happy to sell you an iMac. I think they're very good value."

Asus offers a motherboard with Thunderbolt and PCIe3 including support for video out via TB. If they can do it I am sure Apple can, too (and even if there had been no TB, the outdated rest has nothing to do with that). No need for smaller drives, Sata 6G would have been just fine. Xeon E5s are out there and shipping in quantity. We can buy the entire range of HP's z820s including the biggest model with dual 3.1 E5s today with 24 hour delivery from our VAR. With USB3 and lots of PCIe3 slots. And they cost pretty much the same than the "new" Mac Pro.

------

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 12, 2012 at 3:06:33 pm

[Ben Holmes] "what compelling new technology exists to warrant a change to the Mac Pro?"

Sandy Bridge Xeon E5 and SATA III. Granted it would be an interim solution until the major changes can be engineered (next year) but at least that would a more viable speed bump.

Also moving iMac to Ivy Bridge and USB3 should have been fairly simple for an iMac that's also gone beyond the past upgrade cycle.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 12, 2012 at 2:39:43 pm

[Ben Holmes] "But bear in mind my interpretation of this move has just as much basis in fact as the idea that the Mac Pro is dead - in other words it's all conjecture."

You're right. It is all conjecture.

We don't know if the Mac Pro is dead or not -- and that's my continuing problem with Apple.

No one questions whether there will be another Z-series or another Precision series -- but then again, HP and Dell don't declare themselves post-PC companies or release "new" workstations with two year old technology.

Apple is continuing to spread FUD about themselves. It's hard to recommend Apple-based solutions when they themselves are whipping up this much volatility around their offerings.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 12, 2012 at 2:52:45 pm

[Walter Soyka] "We don't know if the Mac Pro is dead or not -- and that's my continuing problem with Apple."

I'll take that in a slightly different direction. Let's say David Pogue's comment's about 2013 are accurate and both MacPro and iMac (we now have to include that given his article) are still alive.

If I need a Mac desktop I'm given the choice of buying a MacPro with aging technology at an uncompetitively high price relative to performance or an iMac which hasn't been updated in over a year. It's like having to buy a NuBus Mac knowing that new technology will be replacing it within a year and that other computers with current processors are already faster.

With changes so far away on systems aging they could have bumped the MacPro to Sandy Bridge Xeon E5 and iMac to Ivy Bridge i7 and added USB3, without doing other major changes.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 12, 2012 at 3:37:31 pm

[Craig Seeman] "I'll take that in a slightly different direction. Let's say David Pogue's comment's about 2013 are accurate and both MacPro and iMac (we now have to include that given his article) are still alive."

Here's the quote:

"Many Apple observers also wonder if Apple thinks that desktop computers are dead, since not a word was said about the iMac and Mac Pro. An executive did assure me, however, that new models and new designs are under way, probably for release in 2013."

The line with iMacs and Mac Pros sets up the desktop question; the second sentence which answers it -- "new models and designs are under way" -- says nothing about the Mac Pro per se.

There may be a new Mac Pro. You may get your SuperMini. We may get an iMac-looking screen/dock you can slide your MBP:TNG into. All that we know is that something is coming. We don't know what.

Tim Wilson was right on. He said there'd be a new Mac Pro, and I guess there is. He also said Apple has a way of embarrassing everyone who tries to predict them. I don't think anyone saw this coming.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jun 12, 2012 at 7:48:53 pm

[Craig Seeman] " Let's say David Pogue's comment's about 2013 are accurate"

What kind of half assed policy is it to have your only communications with an enterprise level customer base come out of the mouths of unidentified corporate execs speaking to a consumer reviewer who has already proven he doesn't know squat about pro apps? Oh yeah, I forgot, it's the "Apple way."

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jun 12, 2012 at 7:40:33 pm

[Ben Holmes] "Not sure why anyone should care about Thunderbolt or USB3 on a computer that can use Fibre or 10GbE via a PCI card - except as a means of plugging in portable drives."

You say that as though it's a meaningless thing. I'm constantly sending out portable drives with 500 gigs of data to other editors and finishing houses. The time difference between using FW800 and USB3 for that is huge.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]