FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hackintosh forum?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gustavo Bermudas
Hackintosh forum?
on Jun 11, 2012 at 10:33:27 pm

Dont know if it' going to bring legal problems, but we're so going to need one : )

Return to posts index

Hampus Lager
Re: Hackintosh forum?
on Jun 11, 2012 at 10:44:00 pm

That or we need to ask Adobe, Avid, Black Magic and everyone else for Linux support!

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jun 11, 2012 at 10:58:15 pm

What's wrong with Windows?

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on Jun 11, 2012 at 11:00:27 pm

[Gary Huff] "What's wrong with Windows?"

I realize it's only been a minute since you posted this questions, but I'm surprised you haven't gotten a lot of responses.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jun 11, 2012 at 11:12:59 pm

There's actually nothing that anyone can possibly say without resorting to vague references and 2000-era examples.

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on Jun 11, 2012 at 11:18:47 pm

[Gary Huff] "There's actually nothing that anyone can possibly say"

Not only have you thrown down the gauntlet twice, but the second one landed with a pretty firm thud.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jun 11, 2012 at 11:20:37 pm

I'm not happy until I can be dogmatic on the Internet! :-p

Return to posts index

Gustavo Bermudas
on Jun 11, 2012 at 11:34:58 pm

Doesn't run Smoke 2013, or Final Cut

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jun 11, 2012 at 11:38:43 pm

[Gustavo Bermudas] "Doesn't run Smoke 2013, or Final Cut"

Neither does Linux.

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Jun 11, 2012 at 11:55:22 pm

Backslashes. The command-line equivalent of fingernails on a chalkboard.

But seriously though, I'm going to have to grit my teeth and embrace Windows, by the looks of things.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Kent Beeson
on Jun 12, 2012 at 12:08:46 am

So for the first time in my life I've actually taken one second to ponder, should I buy a heavy-duty PC over new MAc Pro - can't believe I even had that thought - but Apple has become so arrogant and non-listening and non-pro anymore, I wonder what to do?

Is there an equivalent or far better PC (gasp!!!) option out there over say the new MAC PRO 3.06 12 core? What graphic card is best now for either Adobe Premiere or Lightworks?

Thanks

K
http://www.effective-video.com

Return to posts index

Frank Gothmann
on Jun 12, 2012 at 12:14:50 am

Hell yes.
HPz820, Lenovo D30, Promax One, Dell T7600, Fujitsu Celcius etc.
Basically, all the big players have systems out there that completely smoke the "new" Mac Pro. Great entry level card for PP is a Quadro 4000.

------
"You also agree that you will not use these products for... the development, design, manufacture or production of nuclear, missiles, or chemical or biological weapons."
iTunes End User Licence Agreement

Return to posts index

Kent Beeson
on Jun 12, 2012 at 12:18:36 am

Thanks - what card would be best for Premier? Under $700, really good not entry-level...and just as you can run windows on a mac, can you run mountain lion on a PC?

Thanks

K
http://www.effective-video.com

Return to posts index

Frank Gothmann
on Jun 12, 2012 at 12:23:49 am

It is a good card. And at that price point you won't get the bigger Quadros. Also, most workstations come pretty much standard with a Q4000.
Don't know if you can turn a PC into a Mountain Lion Hackintosh. Don't want to, I haven't even touched LIon. You could with Snow Leopard and some systems so I guess someone somehow someday will figure out a way. Premiere works faster under windows though.

------
"You also agree that you will not use these products for... the development, design, manufacture or production of nuclear, missiles, or chemical or biological weapons."
iTunes End User Licence Agreement

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jun 12, 2012 at 7:22:52 pm

Doesn't run FCPX, can't encode ProRes (yes, I know there are some freeware encoders that do this, but they are not integrated into any NLE and would be a pain to use in a tight schedule workflow.)

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jun 12, 2012 at 9:08:16 pm

[Herb Sevush] "Doesn't run FCPX"

That's a plus. ;-)

[Herb Sevush] "can't encode ProRes"

I think the decision would be easier for a lot of people if that changed, but that's entirely up to Apple.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jun 12, 2012 at 9:12:09 pm

[Gary Huff] "[Herb Sevush] "Doesn't run FCPX""

My bad, I meant to say, doesn't run FCP7.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Colin Hensworth
on Jun 11, 2012 at 11:46:14 pm

My editor friend went Hac. He's very happy with it, still on FCP7 and will be moving to CS6 or Smoke. If he goes to Pr and for some reason his Hac isn't working out, he'll be fine re-learning Windows. Change can be good. But yea, he has a powerful computer with OS for a great price and it does everything he needs, so all good for now.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jun 12, 2012 at 1:14:26 am

[Colin Hensworth] "f he goes to Pr and for some reason his Hac isn't working out, he'll be fine re-learning Windows."

There's not even much to re-learn. Windows is functionally very similar, just options in different places and cosmetic differences (i.e. Recycle Bin instead of Trash).

Hell, you can even install a dock bar on Windows.

Return to posts index

Colin Hensworth
on Jun 12, 2012 at 1:31:36 am

Exactly. Maybe a monster PC for work projects and a new Macbook Pro for everyday use and/or work projects. Bilingual. Probably cheaper for those two than one Mac Pro anyway.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jun 12, 2012 at 1:37:38 am

[Colin Hensworth] "Exactly. Maybe a monster PC for work projects and a new Macbook Pro for everyday use and/or work projects."

This is actually my setup. I have the 2011 MacBook Pro (17"...RIP) and then a custom-built Windows 7 machine that I have had since 2005. It has been upgraded about three times now and is very solid. I have Adobe CS6 via Creative Cloud and have it installed on both, and can easily switch back and forth between them on projects.

Return to posts index

Colin Hensworth
on Jun 12, 2012 at 1:48:48 am

Sounds pretty friggin practical.

Return to posts index

Glen Hurd
on Jun 12, 2012 at 5:18:19 am

Hmm . . . how about . . . instead of "hackintosh forum" go with a "RDF Refugee" forum, and we'll develop our own dictionary for discussing anything related to running 10* next to 7 on 12c with anything over 24g.

A thread might start, "I need to jog 2013 Exhuast next to a Concert 6 in one case, with Purpose 8.2.1 and it's Slope Crest hardware on a 2nd, with full option for bi-boot for LW3D. Need advice on the best flavor of barraCuda - not talking fast trips but a vivid sheet - for each. Going with 2 on the 2nd. And none of that TB infection - don't need to feed the beast for a slower feast on a grind that's greased. Capiche?"

Actually, that would be more fun to decode than another Pogue intervention for a company that spends so much effort creating secrecy while trying to bff the surface-skimming-status-seeking "Sages with Solutions" crowd.

footnote:
*That 10 has nothing to do with FCP X (FCP Ten - really? Really?). In fact, to eliminate any possible confusion, FCP X would just have to be banned from said forum . . . as a matter of general decorum and good taste. Let FCP X and the iMac form that perfect union, foretold in other forums and media conventions, such as Bride of Macenstein, EyeMacs without a Face, I Married a Macs Murderer, The Final Cut Sacrifice, and Merlin's Shop of Double Secret Wonders.

PS. I do enjoy my room next to the kazoo player.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]