FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mac Pro - If you are having trouble finding the words ...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Franz Bieberkopf
Mac Pro - If you are having trouble finding the words ...
on Jun 11, 2012 at 9:29:58 pm

... arstechnica has posted a (surprisingly sober) short assessment.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/06/mac-pro-gets-minor-update-with-standar...

"languishing Mac Pro workstation"
"a grossly out-of-date design"
"using the now outdated Westmere-EP architecture"
"with the positively ancient Radeon 5770 GPU"
"essentially three-year old hardware in a 10-year old tower design"

Return to posts index

Clint Wardlow
Re: Mac Pro - If you are having trouble finding the words ...
on Jun 11, 2012 at 9:46:16 pm

Hope springs eternal, I guess. However, this "wait its going to come" postulating across the web is getting old.

Apple needs to bite the bullet--realize the secrecy bit is NOT working when it comes to the Pro line-- and tell us something!

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jun 11, 2012 at 9:48:22 pm

[Clint Wardlow] "Apple needs to bite the bullet--realize the secrecy bit is NOT working when it comes to the Pro line-- and tell us something!"

Clint, I just feel they've had a fat lady singing very, very loud for about three months, now. And the orchestra was tuning up for her for about three months before that.

Return to posts index

Clint Wardlow
on Jun 11, 2012 at 9:59:15 pm

[Chris Harlan] "Clint, I just feel they've had a fat lady singing very, very loud for about three months, now. And the orchestra was tuning up for her for about three months before that."

Yeah that may be, but there always seem to be folks in the audience (i.e. internet rumor mill) that is also singing a very loud chorus of conflicting tunes, drowning out, or at least muddling, the fat lady's song.

I think with today's lame update --which many are taking as a slap in the face-- the fat lady may finally be singing loud enough to be clearly heard.

Still, there seem to be a few clinging to the desperate hope that this is just a bandaid to staunch the wound, while the "real" extra-cool Mac Pro super update is waiting in the wings.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jun 11, 2012 at 10:14:00 pm

All I know is that the SIRI button on the steering wheel is the excuse I've always been waiting for to buy a Jag.

Then my wife saw that she could use SIRI to find out how tall LeBron James is, and now she's in too.

Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine
Twitter: timdoubleyou

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 11, 2012 at 10:23:08 pm

[Tim Wilson] "All I know is that the SIRI button on the steering wheel is the excuse I've always been waiting for to buy a Jag."

There was a time in NYC when you saw someone walking around talking to themselves it meant something. These days I'm thinking they have iPhones in their pockets.

Now I'm going to see people driving around in Jaguars talking to themselves.

Now talking to oneself is a class distinction!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 11, 2012 at 10:27:34 pm

So why don't they kill it? Like kill it dead, dead?

Doesn't seem very Apple like. They get bored, and they move on.

17" MBP? Boring! Here's a 30" screen in a 15.4" form factor with wicked fast storage, and some other blinky lights some Pros will like and others won't.

There is no doubt that Apple is just as bored with the MacPro, but yet, it's around.

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on Jun 11, 2012 at 10:59:16 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "So why don't they kill it?"

It just so happens that your friend here is only MOSTLY dead. There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead. Mostly dead is slightly alive. With all dead, well, with all dead there's usually only one thing you can do. Go through his clothes and look for loose change.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jun 11, 2012 at 11:09:22 pm

[Kevin Patrick] "It just so happens that your friend here is only MOSTLY dead."

Miracle Macs?

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on Jun 11, 2012 at 11:13:06 pm

[Chris Harlan] "Miracle Macs?"

Oh. Excellent. I did not see that one coming and I pointed right at it.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 12, 2012 at 4:01:53 am

[Kevin Patrick] "It just so happens that your friend here is only MOSTLY dead. There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead. Mostly dead is slightly alive. With all dead, well, with all dead there's usually only one thing you can do. Go through his clothes and look for loose change."

Have fun storming the castle!

Return to posts index

Phil Hoppes
on Jun 11, 2012 at 9:52:23 pm

Sorry but they are telling you something. You just don't like the message so you are not hearing it. To me it is a 150dB Klaxon.....

Return to posts index

Clint Wardlow
on Jun 11, 2012 at 10:03:40 pm

[Phil Hoppes] "Sorry but they are telling you something. You just don't like the message so you are not hearing it. To me it is a 150dB Klaxon....."

I heard the message long ago. But "reliable" internet sources keep telling me I am wrong.

Return to posts index

John Young
on Jun 11, 2012 at 10:05:31 pm

To me the most disappointing thing is that not only is there not a adequately updated Mac Pro, but the 17" MacBook Pro doesn't even exist anymore. It just isn't listed on their website anymore.

http://www.johnathanyoung.com

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jun 11, 2012 at 10:10:43 pm

[John Young] "To me the most disappointing thing is that not only is there not a adequately updated Mac Pro, but the 17" MacBook Pro doesn't even exist anymore. It just isn't listed on their website anymore.
"

Yeah, I'll miss it too. I'm typing this on the very last of the breed right now. It's the third I've owned. I'm a big tall guy, and they fit very well in my hands, probably like others experience the 13 or 15 inch. I'm glad I have this for another couple of years, but I'll miss it when its gone. Of course the new MBP is kinda cool.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 11, 2012 at 10:11:29 pm

[John Young] "To me the most disappointing thing is that not only is there not a adequately updated Mac Pro, but the 17" MacBook Pro doesn't even exist anymore. It just isn't listed on their website anymore."

I think for most people, even Pros, they went in the right direction with this.
15" Retina MBP has higher resolution display. 1080 in the viewer has value. Two Thunderbolt ports is important. I know a number of Pros who wanted a power laptop at a more portable side.
If you're laptop is a desktop replacement that extra Thunderbolt port goes well with the 27" TB Cinema Display (which may need to be updated with USB3 ports).

Return to posts index

Bobby Mosca
on Jun 11, 2012 at 10:06:50 pm

I don't know what everyone's so upset about. Didn't you see the guy cutting on FCP X out of the back of his SUV? I mean, X is all you need, and it works on the New Hyper Special Retina Skinny MacBook Pro! And all this time I was cutting at a desk, but clearly the new way of doing things is from my trunk, so I'm ready to embrace the new paradigm and be handsome and stuff.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 11, 2012 at 10:05:14 pm

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Jun 11, 2012 at 10:12:07 pm

Mine was more like this....

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Keith Koby
on Jun 11, 2012 at 10:40:46 pm

These aren't the updates you are looking for. Move along.

Return to posts index

Bobby Mosca
on Jun 11, 2012 at 10:13:41 pm

The funny thing to me is that some people I've talked to who aren't connected into any of this stuff really believed that the iPhone and iPad was going to be the push that would lead to widespread Mac adoption in enterprise. I'm sure Apple must do extensive market research, so I must be wrong. It sure doesn't feel like it, though.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Jun 11, 2012 at 11:00:29 pm

[Bobby Mosca] "I'm sure Apple must do extensive market research, so I must be wrong."

No, you are mistaken. In thinking that you are wrong.

Apple does ---> ZERO <--- marketing research.

Everybody knows that. How would the public be any use if they don't know what they want? Didn't somebody famous say that?

jPo

You mean "Old Ben"? Ben Kenobi?

Return to posts index

Ronald Lindeboom
on Jun 11, 2012 at 11:17:22 pm

Bobby,

Adding to what Joseph Owens said, the iPad and the iPhone HAVE allowed Apple to make many inroads into the enterprise sector that they were not in before.

Maybe you missed the fact that Apple basically rode in and took over both RIM (Blackberry) and Nokia's part of the market. Apple's growth and success basically came at their expense.

Best regards,

Ronald Lindeboom
CEO, Creative COW LLC
Publisher, Creative COW Magazine
A 2011 FOLIO: 40 honoree as one of the 40 most influential publishers in America
http://www.creativecow.net

Creativity is a process wherein the student and the teacher are located in the same individual.

"Incompetence has never prevented me from plunging in with enthusiasm."
- Woody Allen

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those that matter, don't mind -- and those that mind, don't matter." - Dr. Seuss

Return to posts index

Bobby Mosca
on Jun 12, 2012 at 12:13:34 am

And then they swooped in and put enormous pressure on enterprise server and infrastructure solutions by... getting rid of their servers. And their large real-estate laptops. And all but stopped work to the workstation line.

And they are marketing all this SSD and processing power to people streaming their photos, making blogs for their kayaking trip, listening to music, reminding them to go grocery shipping, video chatting with their grand kids and updating twitter?? So the MacBook Pro is a mom machine?? Is this their idea of breaking into enterprise, because I'll be damned if I try any of my real work on this iPad screen keyboard.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jun 12, 2012 at 1:23:15 am

[Bobby Mosca] " Is this their idea of breaking into enterprise, because I'll be damned if I try any of my real work on this iPad screen keyboard."

Regardless of what your preference is, tablet use (iPad in particular) is blowing up in the enterprise market. They are everywhere.

Return to posts index

Bobby Mosca
on Jun 12, 2012 at 2:47:53 am

They are everywhere, but what are we doing on them? It's convenient for me for a few things, but severely inefficient for everything else. I've gotten the same feedback from everyone I know.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jun 12, 2012 at 2:54:07 am

[Bobby Mosca] "They are everywhere, but what are we doing on them? It's convenient for me for a few things, but severely inefficient for everything else. I've gotten the same feedback from everyone I know."

That's my feeling. They seem like they should be perfect, but after you use them for a while you become very aware of the benefits of a laptop. I do enjoy my iPad, but I'm long over the notion of it being the next big step in evolution.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
David Pogue of NY Times says . . . . 2013
on Jun 11, 2012 at 11:52:27 pm

Mostly just a recap but the following graph . . .
http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/11/an-explanation-of-the-news-from-a...

Many Apple observers also wonder if Apple thinks that desktop computers are dead, since not a word was said about the iMac and Mac Pro. An executive did assure me, however, that new models and new designs are under way, probably for release in 2013.

Assured by an executive. . .?

So they "assure" a noted NY Times reporter allowing him to print such but no such assurance to the pros who are waiting. Not that such assurance would happen during a keynote but . . .

So as someone who needs a new desktop I get to chose between 2010 MP or a 2011 iMac that doesn't have USB3 (yes I know about the boxes) or Ivy Bridge. Talk about desktop neglect.

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
Re: David Pogue of NY Times says . . . . 2013
on Jun 12, 2012 at 12:04:46 am

Craig,

From your linked NYT Pogue article:

... new versions of Appleā€™s two photo programs, Aperture and iPhoto, will use the same database. That is, the same photos show up in both programs, with the same categories, tags, ratings, edits and so on, so you can flip back and forth as needed.

Shall we speculate about similar iMovie / FCPX integration?

Franz.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 12, 2012 at 12:22:32 am

[Franz Bieberkopf] "Shall we speculate about similar iMovie / FCPX integration?"

I've actually seen some speculation in other forums about that. It can help if people are moving up from iMovie I'd suspect. There's no reason why Apple shouldn't make that easier.

Not related to that but I do see some value in iMovie import given that I've already run into corporate clients who use iMovie.

Return to posts index

Robert Brown
on Jun 12, 2012 at 7:10:43 am

[Craig Seeman] "So they "assure" a noted NY Times reporter allowing him to print such but no such assurance to the pros who are waiting. Not that such assurance would happen during a keynote but . . . "

Kind of ironic but it seems Apple is no longer concerned about computers. I'm personally not holding my breath to find out what these guys are really going to do. Whatever happens I'm sure I'll find a way to get things done.

But I wonder what Autodesk is thinking. No matter how they try to play it Smoke on an iMac is a joke. If there ever was a resource hungry app it would be Smoke.

Apple is completely a loose canon at this point. But I for one am not that concerned about it since FCP is not much of a factor anymore and the other options are not bad at all. Will this whole mess start to drive Apple fans to appreciate Bill Gates? Perish the thought.

Robert Brown
Editor/VFX/Colorist - FCP, Smoke, Quantel Pablo, After Effects, 3DS MAX, Premiere Pro

http://vimeo.com/user3987510/videos

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jun 12, 2012 at 7:16:03 am

[Robert Brown] "But I wonder what Autodesk is thinking. No matter how they try to play it Smoke on an iMac is a joke. If there ever was a resource hungry app it would be Smoke.
"

But there is still the "new" Mac Pro to run it on?

Steve Connor
"The ripple command is just a workaround for not having a magnetic timelinel"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jun 12, 2012 at 6:55:38 pm

http://www.forbes.com/sites/connieguglielmo/2012/06/12/apple-says-new-model...

Apparently in an unprecedented move Apple have actually confirmed the story!

Steve Connor
"The ripple command is just a workaround for not having a magnetic timelinel"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]