FORUMS: list search recent posts

A carpenters hammer.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Kerner
A carpenters hammer.
on Jun 22, 2011 at 2:15:56 pm

Being a professional for 15+ years and using every hammer from Video Cube, Discreet edit*, Avid and eventually settling in with FCP 8 years ago the latest news is disconcerting.

Professional editors and "fanboys" as they are now often referred to as here on the Cow, can all agree that along with sneak peaks,the Supermeet takeover and the following quote that we were being prepped for a bait and switch.

"Final Cut Pro X is the biggest advance in Pro video editing since the original Final Cut Pro," Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing, said in a statement. "We have shown it to many of the world's best Pro editors, and their jaws have dropped."

I think the biggest issue most have is that not only the monetary investment but also the time into a software product that requires a commitment to specific hardware is now questionable. Anger is often redirected fear.

While FCP X does have a place in the "professional" market it does not have a use at its current state within our facility. We deliver 99% digitally but still require tape ingest, professional scopes and omf export to an audio engineer.

The biggest issue I personally have is the unknowing of what to do next. We are a dual platform shop that runs AVID and FCP 7. AVID has moved forward while we have kept our FCP 7 suites intact with hopes that they would catch up with the release of FCP X. This did not happen and Apple is still referring to FCP X as "the biggest advance in Pro video editing since the original Final Cut Pro."

Maybe, FCP is no longer the right hammer?

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
Re: A carpenters hammer.
on Jun 22, 2011 at 3:03:50 pm

[Bill Kerner] "Maybe, FCP is no longer the right hammer?"

People need to understand the scope of what Apple has already done with FCP X vs. the scope of the handful of (admittedly quite important) missing workflow features. Apple has not only written a new video editing application from the ground up, but they've written an entirely new media framework to drive it as well. FCP X is, hands down, on far more modern technical footing than Media Composer. Apple will likely add key workflow features back over time, and all the investment they've made in modernizing core technology will likely pay significant dividends over the comping decade.

FCP X is, in this respect, much like the first release of OS X, which was also widely panned. It's not the end of something. It's the beginning.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

David Battistella
Re: A carpenters hammer.
on Jun 22, 2011 at 3:24:30 pm

[Bill Kerner] "Maybe, FCP is no longer the right hammer?"

Today.

We will have to see how Apple reacts and how quickly new feature set are released.

One thing is for sure. I can still use FCP 7 as long as I want to on the existing hardware I have for quite some time.

There was a lot of speculation leading up to this release and a lot of expectation, but I have to say Apple, FCP and their hardware have allowed MANY people on these forums to earn a good living with very affordable high quality tools.

To give them "zero space" one day after a rebuild and a new concept is a very high bar.

David

David

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]