FORUMS: list search recent posts

"New" low end Mac Pro Quad now 3.2GHz... :-(

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Dickin
"New" low end Mac Pro Quad now 3.2GHz... :-(
on Jun 11, 2012 at 7:22:55 pm

Hi
On the UK pages that's the only difference I can see - still a Q4 2009 Nehalem CPU.
So 9to5mac predicted correctly - same old same old :-(

http://www.apple.com/uk/macpro/specs.html

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
Re: "New" low end Mac Pro Quad now 3.2GHz... :-(
on Jun 11, 2012 at 7:26:15 pm

Marked "NEW". Old guts. Stick a fork in it.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Phil Hoppes
on Jun 11, 2012 at 7:33:42 pm

Yea.... ok I was wrong.... they did not kill it. They put an IV into the same box but I think there is a hole in the bag and they are just going to let it drip all over the floor until it is officially pronounced dead.

Done debating this one. The patient is dead.... it just doesn't know it yet.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 11, 2012 at 7:37:43 pm

MacPro Zombie

Return to posts index

Robert Brown
on Jun 11, 2012 at 9:19:13 pm

[Phil Hoppes] "Done debating this one. The patient is dead.... it just doesn't know it yet."

He's dead Jim. I guess more graceful than a full out EOL but they've now established clearly which way they are headed.

Robert Brown
Editor/VFX/Colorist - FCP, Smoke, Quantel Pablo, After Effects, 3DS MAX, Premiere Pro

http://vimeo.com/user3987510/videos

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 11, 2012 at 10:15:52 pm

[Robert Brown] " I guess more graceful than a full out EOL"

It's like watching a decaying corpse.

Return to posts index

Itamar Naamani
Mac Pro officially pronounced dead
on Jun 11, 2012 at 7:37:21 pm

Updated but..No Sandy bridge. No thunderbolt. This is Apple's way of saying it's over.. It's official now..

Return to posts index

Chris Conlee
Re: Mac Pro officially pronounced dead
on Jun 11, 2012 at 7:39:16 pm

Yeah, if we'd been using PCs we could have made THAT update ourselves ages ago. The fact that it took Apple Corporate to give us a processor upgrade is actually a reason I'm getting tired of this closed mentality. PCs here I come... again.

Chris

Return to posts index

Michael Sanders
on Jun 11, 2012 at 7:53:14 pm

No it doesn't!

Seriously don't people get it? OK USB 3 could have been there but that (I assume) would have mean a logic board redesign. But the big issues is with thunderbolt. As I postulated here and was summed up somewhere (Poss: Arstechnica) some days ago its a really big deal.

Thunderbolt has to (so we are told) carry the display data as well and if that's the case how do get the current range of high end PCIe GPUS that we all want for high end work to send the display data back to thunderbolt?

Other than having a external return cable which is highly un apple I can't see how it can easily be done.

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index

Itamar Naamani
on Jun 11, 2012 at 7:58:47 pm

You're funny. High end GPU? Did you look at the specs? That's not a high end GPU. They didn't update them. Didn't even bother. It's a future retina iMac or no more Mac .

Return to posts index

Michael Sanders
on Jun 11, 2012 at 8:10:00 pm

Er isn't that's the point?

You don't have to buy one from Apple.. if they were tied to thunderbolt the range would be limited. Surely THE entire point of PCIe

Surely its up to AMD, Nvida etc to update the GPUs?

Or are you a troll, cause seriously I'm not in the mood for that.

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jun 11, 2012 at 8:13:05 pm

[Michael Sanders] "Surely its up to AMD, Nvida etc to update the GPUs?

Or are you a troll, cause seriously I'm not in the mood for that.
"

Hardly. He's not a troll at all. His point is that those particular GPUs are ancient and severely underpowered compared to other options available on other workstations.

Return to posts index

Itamar Naamani
on Jun 11, 2012 at 8:21:50 pm

Listen i'm not trolling. I'm making my living on these machines and i'm not happy about seeing the line come to an end- at least not with a viable alternative in the mac world at this point. I don't believe that if Apple is serious about the Mac Pro they would've updated it in this way. If the problem is thunderbolt and the GPU. Well then, what about no thunderbolt and updated GPU's while they figure it out. I even wonder why they even bothered with this silly update. This is just clearing out old stock. It's over

Return to posts index

Michael Sanders
on Jun 11, 2012 at 8:26:48 pm

My apologies - bad week. Very sorry.

Surely though its up to Nvida and ATI to work with Apple on this and write the drivers for their high end cards?

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jun 11, 2012 at 8:27:38 pm

[Michael Sanders] "My apologies - bad week. Very sorry.

Surely though its up to Nvida and ATI to work with Apple on this and write the drivers for their high end cards?
"

Is there a power issue with the newer cards in the "New" MacPro's old motherboard?

Steve Connor
"The ripple command is just a workaround for not having a magnetic timelinel"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jun 11, 2012 at 9:34:36 pm

Apple has never been interested in supporting the highest-end graphics on Macs. Never.

This happened before some of you kids were born, but for the first 2 years, Mac didn't even support color! They behind the industry in this respect, and even behind themselves, as the Apple IIgs introduced color a year earlier.

I'm a big fan of the Quadro 4000, but have you seen what the 6000 can do? Or what NVIDIA's Maximus technology, which ties together 2 GPUs? Or SLI, which ties together up to 4? This has been around since, what? 2005? OpenGL? Bueller? Bueller?

There are many, many reasons to use Macs, and maybe even reasons to believe that a new Mac Pro is coming...uhm, someday...but no reason to believe that its graphics will even attempt to meet the state of the art in pro graphics. Apple swings for the fences in a lot of things, MOST things...but not with this.

A little sensitive about this because it's what made Macs impossible for me to use as a primary platform anymore. I was not happy about it. Doing fine now, thanks. LOL

Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine
Twitter: timdoubleyou

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Jun 11, 2012 at 9:26:07 pm

[Itamar Naamani] "Mac Pro officially pronounced dead"

Not as long as there are some Mac people holding out hope... The statute of limitations for hope for a MacPro tower apparently has no expiration date.

Return to posts index

Michael Benton
on Jun 11, 2012 at 7:37:38 pm

I remember b4 the 2010 upgrade to the Mac Pro - they had a similar bump in speed b4 they did the official upgrade.

I am putting my money on a new upgrade around the 10.8 release with all the major upgrades discussed/highlighted in this great article by Chris Foreman:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/06/what-should-the-long-awaited-mac-pro-u...

Return to posts index

Chris Tomberlin
on Jun 11, 2012 at 7:54:20 pm

Isn't anybody else getting tired of Apple yanking the professional's chain?

To think that FCPX and a laptop is all the "PRO" would ever need is just a fundamental misunderstanding of what many pros need. How am I going to get 48GB of ram, and 16 cores in a laptop?

Chris Tomberlin
Editor/Compositor/Owner
OutPost Pictures

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jun 11, 2012 at 7:56:07 pm

Sorry, man. You'll just have to dream that dream by yourself.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jun 11, 2012 at 7:52:33 pm

[Andrew Richards] "Marked "NEW". Old guts. Stick a fork in it.
"

I absolutely LOVE the fact that they can't bring themselves to use the name of the XEON processors, which they had no problem doing until this morning. You have to dig for processor product numbers to confirm that they are ancient chips.

Return to posts index

Erik Lundberg
on Jun 11, 2012 at 8:05:14 pm

[Chris Harlan] "I absolutely LOVE the fact that they can't bring themselves to use the name of the XEON processors, which they had no problem doing until this morning. You have to dig for processor product numbers to confirm that they are ancient chips."

From http://www.apple.com/macpro/features/processor.html:

They mention the word "Xeon" not only once, but five times. If my counting skills are up to date.

Erik Lundberg

Technical Director, Media Technology, University of Gothenburg, Sweden

Return to posts index

Frank Gothmann
on Jun 11, 2012 at 8:09:56 pm

[Erik Lundberg] "They mention the word "Xeon" not only once, but five times. If my counting skills are up to date."

Yeah, but that's not what he meant. The magic word is Westmare, ie, the old stuff from yesterday we gonne give you for your hard earned cash.

------
"You also agree that you will not use these products for... the development, design, manufacture or production of nuclear, missiles, or chemical or biological weapons."
iTunes End User Licence Agreement

Return to posts index

Erik Lundberg
on Jun 11, 2012 at 8:12:51 pm

[Frank Gothmann] "Yeah, but that's not what he meant"

Yup. My brain just woke up. Finally.

Erik Lundberg

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jun 11, 2012 at 8:15:30 pm

[Erik Lundberg] "Yup. My brain just woke up. Finally."

There you go. On another note, though, there's a claim about that maybe they have been updated to current processors, and that the site has not caught up yet. I'm dubious about that, but we shall see.

Return to posts index

Nevin Styre
on Jun 11, 2012 at 8:10:23 pm

I wonder if intel was running out of the old slower processors but still had/has stock of the slightly faster ones, forcing this mild refresh.

Return to posts index

Erik Lundberg
on Jun 11, 2012 at 8:11:29 pm

YEAH! And I'm stupid and tired. Just finally realized what you meant. bleh.

Erik Lundberg

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]