FORUMS: list search recent posts

A List of those switching to another NLE

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Daigon
A List of those switching to another NLE
on Jun 22, 2011 at 1:53:58 pm

I thought it might be interesting (and educational for Apple) for people to indicate in this thread if they are switching to another NLE.

I am switching to Adobe CS5

Tom Daigon
Avid DS / FCP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

Return to posts index

Peter Blumenstock
Re: A List of those switching to another NLE
on Jun 22, 2011 at 1:59:59 pm

Waiting for Media Composer 6, then I am outta here.

Return to posts index

Chris Conlee
on Jun 22, 2011 at 5:22:52 pm

What do you expect will be in 6 that you have to wait for? MC 5.5 is a pretty stellar release.

Chris

Return to posts index

Peter Blumenstock
on Jun 22, 2011 at 5:26:07 pm

I have a 10 GIG Ethernet card in my Mac which only works under the 64bit Kernel due to a bug in the OSX network stack (thank, Apple, for that, too).
32bit will give me kernel panics.
MC 5.5 requires you to boot into a 32bit kernel, only 6.0 will become full 64 bit.

Return to posts index

Chris Conlee
on Jun 22, 2011 at 5:39:28 pm

Roger that.

Return to posts index

Will Griffith
AVID & daVinci
on Jun 22, 2011 at 2:00:14 pm

AVID & daVinci

Return to posts index

Danny Davis
on Jun 22, 2011 at 2:01:34 pm

I'm going to stick with FCP7 for now. It's a great online tool and is rock solid.
If I had the money I'd be looking at Smoke. Will be ordering Resolve 8.

Danny.

Return to posts index

Jose Lomeña
on Jun 22, 2011 at 2:33:49 pm

I want to switch to premiere, but at least I need control surface for audio mixing. This is my only need to the change.

Return to posts index

stephen knifton
on Jun 22, 2011 at 2:52:01 pm

premiere pro .... been strategizing late into the night and all morning about logistics.
i'd like to hear about the switch / learning curve. any thoughts ?

Return to posts index

Doug Price
on Jun 22, 2011 at 4:18:33 pm

Avid is offering FCP users the ability to change to their solution for $995 through the end of June. Class on Demand offers a DVD for Media Composer for Final Cut Editors $99.

The Avid software comes with all the 3rd Party solutions as well: Boris Continuum, Avid FX, Sorenson 6 and others.

Seems like the most economical choice is Avid, plus they have really been putting out the releases lately, two a year compared to Appe's one every 2.5 years and then this child's toy.

Avid by far is the best choice.

Return to posts index

Chris Conlee
on Jun 22, 2011 at 5:27:05 pm

Yeah, say what you want about Avid, but they have ALWAYS focused on the professional market and will continue to do so -- perhaps to their own detriment at times.

Chris

Return to posts index

Chris Conlee
on Jun 22, 2011 at 5:25:05 pm

FCP to Premiere will be a breeze. In a few days you'll feel right at home. The original version of each program was written by the same folks, back in the day.

FCP to Avid -- MUCH bigger learning curve, but in my opinion well worth it.

Chris

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Jun 22, 2011 at 4:03:27 pm

You can make a feature request for that: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish
Let me know if you guys have any other questions about Adobe video products.

Kevin Monahan
Sr. Content and Community Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

stephen knifton
on Jun 22, 2011 at 4:58:14 pm

Kevin ... thanks for jumping in .... i'd like to hear some anecdotal about people who have made the switch from fcp to premiere pro. i've been poised for months suspecting we were going to get imoviePlus ... we did, and i'm making the switch to adobe. but i can't afford to grind business to a halt while i cross-train ... how is the learning curve going from fcp/motion, to pp / ae ?

thanks ...

Return to posts index

Craig Kabis
on Jun 22, 2011 at 5:18:47 pm

@stephen

I switched to Premiere Pro from Final Cut Pro 7 back in September 2010. All I do is multicam and the last couple years it's been AVCHD or XDCAM footage. I couldn't deal with the transcoding of 2 hours per angle with FCP and the slow as hell scrolling of the audio waveforms on a 2 hours sequence.

Premiere Pro just blows it away. I can use all the native footage instantly. No issues with the audio waveforms. The interface is pretty similar To FCP7. It took only about 30 minutes to feel comfortable with it.

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Jun 22, 2011 at 5:40:35 pm

I made a video series when I was new to Adobe and Premiere Pro. I got to ask about all the things that confused me. I think you might find it worthwhile: http://tv.adobe.com/show/switching-to-adobe-premiere-pro-cs5

Kevin Monahan
Sr. Content and Community Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

stephen knifton
on Jun 22, 2011 at 8:05:59 pm

Kevin ... if you have any Adobe marketing types in your rolodex ---- you should ping them and point out the obvious: that there are probably thousands of potential cs5 customers at the gate today, and they should do a little something extra to lure us all in .... some kind of price / packaging promotion.

i know if i was a salesman and tens of thousands of my competitors customers all became wildly disaffected all in one day .... i'd move quickly and aggressively to tap into that.

come on adobe !

Return to posts index

Eric Michael Cap
on Jun 22, 2011 at 8:38:30 pm

Thanks for the video links Kevin...I'll check them out tonight! I agree with Stephen...I'd like to see some aggressive crossgrade ala carte packages & pricing from ADOBE. For example, how about a Premiere + Encore + Photoshop + MediaEncoder bundle for those of us who don't need/want After Effects or Encore + Photoshop + MediaEncoder bundle for those of us who just want to author Blu-Ray discs. Another thing Adobe could/should do is offer a Rental Credit for those who choose to buy an App/Suite after renting it for a specifc project. If I were AVID I would do what they did with Pro Tools 9 last year and open it up to all 3rd Party Video I/O's (AJA, BMD etc.) with full I/O functionality asap. That would be a real "game changer". They could also offer the $1k deal to Pro Tools users and throw in a "Avid MC 5.5 for Final Cut Users" Training DVD for free!

Return to posts index

Doug Price
on Jun 22, 2011 at 10:56:47 pm

Eric, Avid opened up the IO boxes to AJA and Matrox already. the AJA box is less than $1000 and does full HD IO. The Matrox is limited to just monitoring, but still better than paying the full price of Avid hardware. Avid systems also come with Sonic DVD which does Blu-Ray authoring already. I don't like it as well as DVD Studio pro, but it works very well with Sorenson directly in the Avid.

Avid has already lowered the price to attract rotten Apple fans, so that is a direction that should be looked at. Avid is way ahead of the others in the marketing to FCP users and despite what Chris said earlier, they have Listened to all of their customers low-end professionals to the high-end professionals and their tools bare that out. I agree their pricing is slightly higher, but so is a BMW or Cadillac, you pay for expertise and experience. Avid also has a live body to talk to when you do have a problem, not some 'genius' who doesn't know rotoscoping from rototilling.

Avid is focused on the professionals all the way down to the beginners in school. Did you know a student copy is $295 with free support for 4 years. Let's see Adobe top that! My money is on the guys who have been there from day one....Avid.

Return to posts index

Daniel Garcia
on Jun 22, 2011 at 3:09:05 pm

Another really good point would also be, which other NLE would you choose to learn how to edit in and investing your time and money as opposed to FCPX?

I would definitely invest my time and money on Avid DS and Smoke, if you already know Avid. I ahve already worked on Premiere CS5 and it also sounds like a good choice as a substitute for FCPX

Lots of choice out there!

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jun 22, 2011 at 3:25:55 pm

Sticking with FCS2. It is working, and for the most part stable. If I can get a copy of FCS3 I might upgrade.
Looking seriously at getting CS5.
I'm also on the list for Lightworks for Mac when it's released. I figure if your going to be a beta tester at least you shouldn't have to pay for the software.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

I have a system, it has stuff in it, and stuff hooked to it. I have a camera, it can record stuff. I read the manuals, and know how to use this stuff and lots of other stuff too.
You should be suitably impressed...

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jun 22, 2011 at 4:35:33 pm

I've been considering PP5.5 for a while, I've been doing test projects on it for a while, it's fast and it's very good, but I'd got used to no system crashes with FCP7 and I'm finding I get more than I expected with Premiere even on my 8 core Mac Pro with 8GB RAM

Steve Connor
Adrenalin Television

Have you tried "Search Posts"? Enlightenment may be there.

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Jun 22, 2011 at 4:39:54 pm

Sticking with fcp 7. Doing a "wait & see" for X.

Have had Avid & Smoke in the past....tempted by Avid, had a smoke long ago and don't want to go there again...it was great & stable, but not digging the interface, the cost involved and too many steps to get to DVD/Blu-Ray/Web. I first learned editing on Premiere, but there has always seemed to be a stability issue with it.

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Jul 9, 2011 at 2:15:01 am

[Steve Connor] "my 8 core Mac Pro with 8GB RAM"

That's your problem. You're not giving your sweet 8 core Mac enough memory. With FCP 7 you had 2 cores being used so each core had plenty of memory with some left over for OS, etc.

with Premiere Pro, you can use ALL of your CPUs and consequently they're not getting enough RAM goodness to make Premiere Pro run like many others are reporting.

If you haven't switched yet, I'd recommend buying at least another 8GB of RAM and give it another go. If you don't go with Premiere Pro, that extra 8GB will help you out with any other 64-bit NLE on the market, so I think it's a good investment.

Hope this helps,
Dennis - Adobe

Return to posts index

Brad Bussé
on Jun 22, 2011 at 5:32:32 pm

For now I'm sticking with FCS 2 to see what lies ahead in terms of new Mac Pros, Lion, and Apple's response to the community. Hey, maybe Apple will surprise us with a point release by August which adds all of the missing pro i/o features, and also includes an integrated node-based Phenomenon compositor, along with a $50 64-bit Soundtrack Pro. I'm not holding my breath on the last two parts, but it would be nice!

If Apple fails to address the complaints of the pro community, I don't know where I'd look next. I'm not looking forward to going back to Avid's archaic interface and some of the workflow (although I admit I haven't used it in several years). I got to preview Softimage DS (Now Avid DS) before it was released at Siggraph '99 and really liked that, but I don't know how much of a community it has now. Most likely I'd head to Premiere Pro since that's most likely where a lot of FCP users are likely to go, and if the community builds, then so will the support for the app from Adobe. Plus, I already have it as part of the Production Suite, and it would be nice to see what benefits there are to staying within the Adobe suite since I heavily use After Effects and Photoshop.

But I'm waiting a couple of months for the dust to settle and see what/if Apple has to say by then.

Return to posts index

ben g unguren
on Jun 22, 2011 at 7:50:14 pm

[Brad Bussé] "I'm waiting a couple of months for the dust to settle and see what/if Apple has to say by then"

Right on, Brad. We shouldn't jump to conclusions (tempting though it may be).

I had a conversation with an editing buddy of mine about this, and we are wondering if Premiere could now come into a more prominent position, like FCP did vs Avid a decade ago. In my experience, if you say to a production house "I edit in FCP" or "I edit in AVID" then you're fine. But if "I edit in Premiere" (and only Premiere), you will lose some respect. (Remember 12 years ago: If it wasn't edited on AVID it couldn't possibly be a good film?)

Unfortunately, in the freelance world, a lot of software is about reputation, and from my perspective Premiere isn't quite popular enough yet.... (Go get 'em Adobe!)

Return to posts index

Mike Jackson
on Jun 22, 2011 at 8:51:47 pm

Yeah, compatibility and market share really is the key question for me. In a year's time, what NLE software are the majority of companies and clients going to be using? Will Avid regain its dominance at post-houses? Will documentarians and lower-budget clients be embracing Premiere?

I have a nasty feeling we're facing a real splintering of the industry, and for the next couple of years the average freelancer is going to have to be equipped and familiar with EVERYTHING, including both old and new FCPs.

Until Apple discontinues the MacPros of course ;)

And who knows what the 'standard' will be by then...?

Return to posts index

Doug Price
on Jun 22, 2011 at 11:01:23 pm

Brad, if you haven't seen the new Avid interface i think you will be suprised. http://www.avid.com/US/special-offers/product-trials you can download the full version of MC at that link for 30 days without water marks to try it yourself. It is actually too FCP friendly on the UI for many of us classic Avid editors, so you may find it to be much more useful than you think.

What harm can be done by downloading a trial version and playing with it. They didn't water mark it so you can always cut a show on it for free.

Return to posts index

Owen Wexler
on Jul 1, 2011 at 9:07:30 pm

Right now I alternate between FCP7 and Premiere Pro CS5 depending on the needs of the project... often I will use PPro for offline and then XML over to FCP/Color for online and color grading, I have used this workflow particularly with DSLR projects in the past.

After FCP7 stops working with my hardware I will switch fully to Premiere Pro. I am also looking at moving to DaVinci Resolve now that Apple has EOLed Color.

I am comfortable with Avid as well and will use it when the situation calls for it.

Cinematographer - Editor - Motion Graphics Artist - Colorist

http://www.owenbwexler.com

Return to posts index

Owen Wexler
on Jul 1, 2011 at 9:13:04 pm

Right now I alternate between FCP7 and Premiere Pro CS5 depending on the needs of the project... often I will use PPro for offline and then XML over to FCP/Color for online and color grading, I have used this workflow particularly with DSLR projects in the past.

After FCP7 stops working with my hardware or OS (whenever that is) I will switch fully to Premiere Pro. I am also looking at moving to DaVinci Resolve now that Apple has EOLed Color.

I am comfortable with Avid as well and will use it when the situation calls for it.

Cinematographer - Editor - Motion Graphics Artist - Colorist

http://www.owenbwexler.com

Return to posts index

Bill Vincent
on Jul 9, 2011 at 12:33:57 am

I have purchased Adobe CS5.5 Premiere Production suite. It has been both good and challenging so far. I was able to master a blu-ray project in Encore with great success. However, editing in Premiere was choppy/sluggish doing multicam editing, so after optimizing my system as much as I could, I ended up getting 8GB of extra RAM to bring the total on my Mac Pro to 20GB. I was really surprised at how resource hungry PP is, compared to FCP.

As I'm about to begin a large project now, I started out thinking I would edit entirely in Premiere but have since decided to use FCP instead for the sake of quickly getting it done... I think. I have until Monday to decide. I'll play more with Premiere this weekend and see.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]