FORUMS: list search recent posts

Are we due an FCPX update too?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Connor
Are we due an FCPX update too?
on Jun 6, 2012 at 7:14:32 pm

Almost 2 months since the last update and rapidly approaching the anniversary of the launch, will we get an FCPX update too?

Steve Connor
"The ripple command is just a workaround for not having a magnetic timelinel"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Are we due an FCPX update too?
on Jun 6, 2012 at 7:30:38 pm

FCPX anniversary edition, is my guess.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jun 6, 2012 at 7:40:53 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "FCPX anniversary edition, is my guess."

Probably an anniversary they would like to forget!

Steve Connor
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Jun 6, 2012 at 8:02:25 pm

If they keep to their update schedule, it should be either June 19th (my bet) or the 26th. One year anniversary of the original June 21st 10.0.0 release date make's it a pretty good bet.

As with last year, release will be post WWDC.

Return to posts index

Michael Garber
on Jun 6, 2012 at 8:18:03 pm

So, the next bet on the table is, do you think it'll be 10.0.5 or 10.1?

Michael Garber
5th Wall - a post production company

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jun 6, 2012 at 8:34:27 pm

My guess, If we get the viewer and tracks/multichannel audio - 10.1. Will probably take external monitoring out of beta and update that interface too.

Wonder when they'll add copy/paste keyframes? How about drop shadow? Can we print a freakin' bin (sorry keyword collection) yet? Audio Mixer window? Copy and paste select attributes?

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Jun 6, 2012 at 10:00:44 pm

But when will it change from a free update to a paid upgrade? Updates have been pretty substantial - would be nice if it stays free until they get the feature set fairly complete?

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Irvine, California

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jun 6, 2012 at 10:10:58 pm

[Lance Bachelder] "But when will it change from a free update to a paid upgrade? Updates have been pretty substantial - would be nice if it stays free until they get the feature set fairly complete?"

I don't think we'll see paid upgrades for quite a while

Steve Connor
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Jun 6, 2012 at 9:29:04 pm

I'd say Apple could easily spend the next year going from 10.5 to 10.9 on their current update schedule of aprox every 3 months. There are still a lot of little things that need to be implemented, and stability issues that seem to be causing some people problems (for me, personally, FCPX has been very stable- which makes the crash reports on Twitter all the more confusing...).

The ONE out I'd give myself is pure Kremlinology. When Apple announced the upcoming features at NAB, they didn't say "coming in 10.0.5" or "coming in our next update". I also find it equally odd that Apple would pre-announce features beyond what they can guarantee will appear in the next update- Coming in 2012. It would be like if Apple previewed iOS6 next week, and then also talked about features slated for iOS7. Trés bizarre. So with that in mind, I will concede there's the off chance that all this "coming 2012" is a smokescreen because they couldn't say 10.0.5 and can't say "update", because it would be a paid upgrade.

But that said, there A LOT that would have to be in a 10.1 (new technologies as well as FCP7 features) to not have users going crazy. Especially if it was another full $299 purchase; which it would have to be, since there's not paid upgrades in the Mac appStore. But who knows, maybe that will be one of the big announcements next week!

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Jun 6, 2012 at 11:13:38 pm

Even if it's 10.1.0, it doesn't have to be a cost upgrade. For example if memory serves me well, Pixelmator did a large version upgrade for free. Given the incomplete state of 10.0.x, it's reasonable to expect 10.1 to be free. Or keep going along the free 10.0.x upgrade path until it gets some respect from the general FCS community.

The Mac App Store certainly can have a lot of benefits to the user as a means of distributing and updating software at lower prices than boxed sets of software. Look at Aperture: $299 as a boxed set and $80 in the MAS (for the identical version). However as we know, Apple finds a way to make money and these low entry costs such as $299 for FCPX are not quite so cheap if the program is feature updated once a year for the same $299. In the future, after these 2012 free upgrades, you may only see free fixes. New features may well mean $299 each year. Not unlike Adobe's subscription to all of CS6 for $30 a month this year.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Jun 7, 2012 at 12:01:50 am

You're right. Apple's philosophy for the MAS as far as upgrades isn't clear yet. There's much debate in developer circles about whether there will EVER be paid upgrades in the MAS. Only Apple knows for sure.

Right now there are only two options-

Free update or a new app listing.

Pixelmator is trying to gain a serious foothold as a Photoshop Elements alternative, so them releasing the newest version for free barters good with with it's user base, and hopefully attracts new customers. Photoshop needs some healthy competition in the marketplace (but that's another discussion).

The same could be said for FCPX. There is (of course) much ill will still hanging over the program from the last year. And though it's supporters do seem to be growing as the program matures, it still has a long way to go to get over it's own bad press. So a major 10.1 upgrade at no extra cost could similarly barter good will with the user base. Especially if it's feature-rich with pro improvements. And ultimately Apple isn't in the software business to make money, it's in the business to drive hardware sales.

Ultimately, it's impossible to say what stance they'll take. There seems to be too many moving parts to this equation right now.

I have to say though, now that I'm thinking about it. FCPX 10.1 plus the announcement of a new MacPro would be a tremendous 1-2 punch.

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Jun 7, 2012 at 12:23:28 am

Marcus:
"FCPX 10.1 plus the announcement of a new MacPro would be a tremendous 1-2 punch."

When the poet said, "Hope springs eternal in the human breast," he surely was thinking about this forum!

And getting more positive feedback from the professional community certainly does help drive software and hardware sales. Apple's margin exceeded 40% last year and I can't help feel that they can well afford to keep their high-end line of Macs going indefinitely especially as it was certainly part of Steve Jobs' vision to serve the professional creative and scientific communities. .

I think the most technologically interesting development Monday may be if they revamp the Mac Pro Server to make it a true server configuration.

And since I love my iMac except for its graphicsi limitations, I'm hoping they will offer a design that allows replaceable graphics cards in the iMac! Now I know that sounds crazy, but that's what I'd do if I was a Senior Vice President of Hardware Engineering.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Jun 7, 2012 at 12:38:53 am

A new MacPro is a done deal. Not necessarily because of the product codes that have been leaking in the last day or two, but because LoopInsight's Jim Dalrymple said there would be. He has a stellar record with Apple info, and doesn't comment where he isn't sure.

With that in mind, I don't see the iMac becoming any more customizable. If you need power and performance you can't get from an iMac, then you really do need what a MacPro offers. Added GPU and expandability will become more of a reality for the rest of the Mac line when Thunderbolt reaches it's 100GB optical potential.

As far as FCPX, it's going to be a long game. Some people may never come back. Some might if there's a compelling reason to do so; be it price, functionality, or workflow. A couple years ago there were loads of people who swore they'd never go back to AVID who now have. If the software changes and evolves, opinions will too.

Return to posts index

alban egger
on Jun 7, 2012 at 9:08:37 am

My Crystal ball says YES...new update with the new MacPro and iMac.

We get:
- "Send to Motion" roundtrip
- AudioMixer
- copy-paste attributes
- monitoring is out of beta

and I would like to get a feature where we can export a compound-clip (so you can export portions of a project)

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 7, 2012 at 6:08:20 pm

[alban egger] "- monitoring is out of beta"

Actually monitoring is currently out of Apple's beta and has been since the last update. It's just than not all the card manufacturers are out of their own beta.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]