FORUMS: list search recent posts

OT: Amusing just how many parallels there are between Win8 and FCPX !

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Mortner
OT: Amusing just how many parallels there are between Win8 and FCPX !
on Jun 6, 2012 at 11:34:19 am

http://mobileopportunity.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/fear-and-loathing-and-windo...

I mean, I know its not exactly the same but interesting.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
Re: OT: Amusing just how many parallels there are between Win8 and FCPX !
on Jun 6, 2012 at 12:06:17 pm

Kudos to Microsoft for the path they are taking, they seem to be betting the farm on Windows 8, I genuinely hope it pays off for them.

Steve Connor
"The ripple command is just a workaround for not having a magnetic timelinel"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

James Mortner
on Jun 6, 2012 at 12:09:17 pm

Agreed, it is a huge gamble. It looks really nice on on the Lumia phones, wonder how good it is for desktops ?

Also interesting where the author said how DOS users could continue working under Win 95 until they were comfortable switching

Return to posts index

santiago marti
on Jun 6, 2012 at 2:36:31 pm

I am running win8 right now. You can download the release preview. It is really not that different. Yes, you have metro interface, but you also have a big square that says "desktop", you press/click it and it takes you to desktop mode in no time. Then, it is all the same or better.

There is no start menu, but you press the windows key and type the program name, just like you would do with the start menu and it opens. When you press windows key, you go to metro ui, and there you have everything you would have on the start menu, so it is not big deal, in fact, it is far more readable than the start menu.

I am running CS6 and Scratch on it, and it works flawless. I'm editing 5k epic footage at 1/4 res on my ibuypower laptop. Metro ui makes more sense in tablet mode, the new dockable tablets with core i5 will make sense also with win8. You'll have a tablet with metro apps, but also access to full desktop apps and peripherals, it is the next step, probably. Imagine taking raw stills on a canon and then download them to a tablet and edit them in lightroom if you like.

Santiago Martí
Director at
http://www.robotrojo.com.ar

Return to posts index

Bernard Newnham
on Jun 6, 2012 at 4:21:23 pm

Yes, I think an awful lot of people will just click on desktop and never go back. And there's already a third party program (ViStart) which puts the start menu back.I almost never use it, but I do use the button itself to access the control panel etc.

Personally, I might well skip W8, in the way that I skipped Vista, WMe and W98_original. Windows 7 works very well, and W9, which I'm running in VirtualBox, doesn't appear to add anything for the desktop user that I can find so far.

B

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jun 6, 2012 at 7:35:19 pm

[Bernard Newnham] "Windows 7 works very well, and W9, which I'm running in VirtualBox, doesn't appear to add anything for the desktop user that I can find so far."

That's my thinking on the matter. I see nothing Windows 8 brings to the table that encourages me to upgrade from 7.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jun 6, 2012 at 8:41:26 pm

OT, but can anyone else see what the next major step will be with OSX? My thought are that the launchpad and the desktop will switch places. IOW your computer will launch into the lauchpad, and if you want the finder/desktop, you'll click on that in the dock or launchpad. That basic change will make the computer completely resemble the phones. For the novice it will be simpler. And for the Pro you still have file browsing or possibly can switch a setting and make the desktop the default at startup. I wouldn't doubt if apps start opening full screen in the future by default. Especially if launched from the launchpad.

Return to posts index

Bernard Newnham
on Jun 6, 2012 at 9:29:05 pm

I wouldn't doubt if apps start opening full screen in the future by default."

Well, it would be quite good if closing the window closed the application.

B

bernie

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]