FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is background rendering an advantage or not?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Taylor
Is background rendering an advantage or not?
on Jun 6, 2012 at 10:56:05 am

The background rendering in FCPX seems to be more of a nuisance than anything else. I constantly have to stop what I am working on to allow the rendering to take place. Sometimes I check my processors and discover that FCP is taking up 156% of the memory?? Considering I have 8gb of RAM I was very surprised by this...

Does anybody else experience such problems?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Is background rendering an advantage or not?
on Jun 6, 2012 at 1:03:51 pm

You will find that a lot of X users will leave background rendering off. I know I do. I only render the section I need if FCPX can't play the composite/fc stack back in rt.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jun 6, 2012 at 1:15:42 pm

Switch it off, especially with 8gb RAM. Render when you need to, background rendering is a good idea that will hopefully be refined as FCPX matures

Steve Connor
"The ripple command is just a workaround for not having a magnetic timelinel"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Sandeep Sajeev
on Jun 6, 2012 at 4:56:46 pm

Yes it's a pain. I keep it off as well, it's faster just to hit Ctrl+Shift+R, as opposed to selecting a specific section and hitting Ctrl+R.

I also turn on Better Performance in Playback Preferences. It does help in playing back unrendered sections.

Return to posts index

jon smitherton
on Jun 7, 2012 at 1:14:08 am

Please note that its not really background rendering per se - It's more equivalent to auto-render on FCP7.
You'll notice that the render dial stops when you are playing.
Having true background rendering either by half the cores assigned to this function or even better, a network cluster/render farm would make this program so fast it would easily retain FCP's lost customers!
DO IT APPLE!

Jon

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jun 7, 2012 at 2:34:38 pm

There's other issues here. If it renders while you work, instead of pausing, then it has to know whether you're working on the portion of the timeline that it's rendering. So its a much more complicated task than it appears. Which is the same reason exporting directly to compressor used to lock you out of editing in legacy.

The bigger problem, as I understand it, unless it was fixed in 10.0.4, is that FCP doesn't manage the render files as well as legacy. It just keeps writing new ones and doesn't delete the ones no longer used by the project. So your drive starts to fill up fast with tiny little render files that aren't in use.

That's why I turn off background rendering.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]