FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mac Pro refresh at WWDC?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Viktor Kamenický
Mac Pro refresh at WWDC?
on Jun 4, 2012 at 10:22:03 pm

So I found this article...

what do you think? Is it gonna FINALLY happen?

http://9to5mac.com/2012/06/04/apple-to-update-most-of-its-mac-lineup-and-mu...

"You never want to get to get a call from the editing room"
Art Adams

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
Re: Mac Pro refresh at WWDC?
on Jun 4, 2012 at 10:26:24 pm

Sorry, it's not gonna happen. Embrace your new iMac high endoverlords, or switch to Windows. The era of Apple's participation in anything beyond the consumer-level hardware market is OVER.

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Jun 4, 2012 at 10:33:15 pm

And for all you Mac/OS X diehards, read it and weep:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/335/35951

I pray that Autodesk will see the light and port Smoke to Windows...

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jun 4, 2012 at 11:08:27 pm

I'm really going to enjoy it when the new MacPros are launched next week, so many people to point and laugh at :)

Steve Connor
"The ripple command is just a workaround for not having a magnetic timelinel"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 4, 2012 at 11:31:46 pm

[Steve Conner]"I'm really going to enjoy it when the new MacPros are launched next week, so many people to point and laugh at :)"

Seems like a petty thing to want to do. And if you are wrong, should others point and laugh at you?

Frankly who cares what Apple announces or not. We have so much choice in hardware, OS, software at the moment that frankly only Mac aficionados seem to care. I remain carefree and platform agnostic.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 4, 2012 at 11:40:18 pm

[Michael Gissing] "Frankly who cares what Apple announces or not."

Two groups: people committed to Apple software, and people with an irrational fear of Windows.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 4, 2012 at 11:48:08 pm

[Walter Soyka]"Two groups: people committed to Apple software, and people with an irrational fear of Windows."

And what Apple software is so important that a cross platform alternative is unavailable? As far as I can see there might be a fear that Smoke won't end up with a Win version eventually but otherwise?

Have any of those afraid of Windows had any recent experience with Win 7 64 bit?

So many questions....

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jun 5, 2012 at 12:33:40 am

[Michael Gissing] "And what Apple software is so important that a cross platform alternative is unavailable?"

FCP 7

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 5, 2012 at 1:09:33 am

[Michael Gissing] "And what Apple software is so important that a cross platform alternative is unavailable?"

FCP 7
Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Which is why my MacPro will remain in the rack for a while. But I won't be buying another Mac just for Legacy. My late 2009 octo is fine for FCP7 but I will go to a Win machine for CS6 and Resolve when the dust settles. I will also trial Smoke but grading is more important to me than compositing so I am not sure if Smoke is ideal for me on long form docos.

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Jun 5, 2012 at 12:49:09 am

Duplicate post... My apologies...

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Jun 5, 2012 at 12:57:08 am

When the effective price difference between Smoke on OS X and Smoke on Linux is at least $40K (if not more), it becomes a Very Big Deal Indeed for a certain subset of the post market.

To be blunt: For this particular market, FCP X will never cut it. Smoke is pretty much the only saving grace of OS X at this point. If Apple kills off its most capable hardware (the Mac Pro line) for the market that would invest in Smoke, the Deal Is Off.

Autodesk's own employees and evangelists will freely admit that Smoke on a Mac Pro will trounce Smoke on an iMac. Furthermore, the Smoke gurus (Grant Kay, etc.) will freely admit that Smoke on Linux trounces Smoke on OS X on ANY currently available Mac.

Let's be clear here: Apple has removed (or will soon remove) itself from being a player in the high-end post market as far as its hardware offerings are concerned. As a result, a certain subset of users will be forced to embrace either Linux or Windows systems if they want to remain competitive from a price/performance perspective.

Apple is doing very well, financially speaking. Will users' allegiance to Mac OS X follow suit? Or will users' ability to embrace new technology and adopt the current best solution for the job define their future?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 5, 2012 at 6:02:30 am

[Alan Okey] "If Apple kills off its most capable hardware (the Mac Pro line) for the market that would invest in Smoke, the Deal Is Off."

Not necessarily. If the iMac can deliver, then I, for one, would consider buying an iMac, AJA IO XT, and Promise R6 to support Smoke 2013 on Mac. Consider it a turn-key system just like Smoke Advanced on an HP with Linux.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 5, 2012 at 5:55:10 am

I think many here would argue OS X and FCPX.

Functionally, they may be inaccurate, but from a user experience perspective, I think this could be a matter of taste that's impossible to argue, and from a comfort or retraining perspective, they may be right on.

That's part of why I specifically separate preference for OS X from fear of Windows.

[Michael Gissing] "Have any of those afraid of Windows had any recent experience with Win 7 64 bit?"

I suspect not. Look at the language here around Windows -- it's "the dark side" or "gives me the shivers" or "would rather do self-flagellation."

I get it, though. I was a Mac guy and Apple evangelist who was really suspicious of Windows until I started actually using it. I had to see for myself that Windows 7 worked really well before I believed it.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jun 5, 2012 at 3:57:41 pm

[Walter Soyka] "I suspect not. Look at the language here around Windows -- it's "the dark side" or "gives me the shivers" or "would rather do self-flagellation."

I get it, though. I was a Mac guy and Apple evangelist who was really suspicious of Windows until I started actually using it. I had to see for myself that Windows 7 worked really well before I believed it.
"

A lot of the fear, too, comes from dealing with consumer iterations of Windows. Once upon a time, I had very pleasant relations with NT, 2000, and XP. True, you had to know how to use them, but they were very good and very stable in their time.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 5, 2012 at 4:16:51 pm

[Chris Harlan] "A lot of the fear, too, comes from dealing with consumer iterations of Windows. Once upon a time, I had very pleasant relations with NT, 2000, and XP. True, you had to know how to use them, but they were very good and very stable in their time."

Agreed! I also think a lot of the outdated misconceptions are also based on lower-end systems with poor hardware, shoddy drivers, and useless, performance-sapping shovelware manufacturer pre-loads.

Windows 7 on good hardware is not your father's PC.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jun 5, 2012 at 4:38:45 pm

[Walter Soyka] "I also think a lot of the outdated misconceptions are also based on lower-end systems with poor hardware, shoddy drivers, and useless, performance-sapping shovelware manufacturer pre-loads.
"

Yes, definitely. Windows had a freedom to it that exposed its lower end to all sorts of crap. And, early "plug-and-play" was a nightmare. Frankly, I liked the whole IRQ system, but it required that you actually understand your computer. God forbid.

And yes--the shovelware of the consumer OS, from 95 on, was awful, and often irresponsibly loaded. Fortunately, you didn't see any of that on the Pro-OS side.

Its funny. This reminds me of the talks I used to have with Avid-only editors about how "unresponsive" FCP was. It took a while, but it finally dawned on me that most--if not all--of these guys had only tried FCP with a firewire i/o, and that they had no idea that an AJA or Decklink hookup would make editing just as responsive.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jun 5, 2012 at 8:16:10 pm

[Chris Harlan] "Windows had a freedom to it that exposed its lower end to all sorts of crap. And, early "plug-and-play" was a nightmare."

This is a big deal. Looking back at poor Vista, a big part of the problem is that Microsoft wanted it installed on every system, and you actually could. MSFT did a decent job of pointing out which features were and weren't going to show up on which machines, but that was a lot to expect most people to care about. To put it charitably, not every expectation was met on the majority of machines that weren't very new.

As frustrating as it to be to sometimes have to buy a new Mac if you want a new OS, it's one aspect of a smoother Mac OS experience: incompatible combinations simply aren't allowed.

See? I said something nice about Apple. :-) Something to be said for "we know best" when they actually do.

But as others have pointed out, the 64-bit version of W7 on a properly configured machine is easy for most openers of adult beverage cans to master fast, even if tolerating the experience might require the drinking of said adult beverages.

[Chris Harlan] "This reminds me of the talks I used to have with Avid-only editors about how "unresponsive" FCP was. It took a while, but it finally dawned on me that most--if not all--of these guys had only tried FCP with a firewire i/o, and that they had no idea that an AJA or Decklink hookup would make editing just as responsive."

Speaking as somebody who spent a lot of time around Avid editors, some of them could be pretty inflexible, and so focused on editing that they didn't need to be especially tech-savvy.

Once Media Composer became cross-platform just before the turn of the century, it wasn't uncommon to take a tech support call, ask someone which computer they were working on and be told "Mitsubishi." That was the name on the two monitors that were part of the standard configuration, editors saw the nameplate all day every day, and it was the only name that popped into their mind besides Avid.

In a little fairness, it also speaks to the extent to which, once you're in a comfortable editing environment, the OS stuff doesn't matter much.

Seriously, if you can learn, say, After Effects, nothing in your entire life seems hard. Changing a tire, CPR, adding a new circuit to your home electrical system: after AE, it's all just "stuff." Even FCP is challenging enough to make most home theater set-ups feel simple in comparison.

New OS? Please. Piece of cake. EASIER than cake because Windows 7 is gluten free. They should probably put that on the box.

Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine
Twitter: timdoubleyou

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Jun 5, 2012 at 8:39:04 pm

[Tim Wilson] "Speaking as somebody who spent a lot of time around Avid editors, some of them could be pretty inflexible, and so focused on editing that they didn't need to be especially tech-savvy. "

Yeah, I was one of them. I became "tech savvy" (to the lame extent that I am) when this business became a wild west free-for-all. It was born out of necessity. Otherwise I would still be happily scratching my chin and spending a lot more of my time worrying about what I really get paid for.

Tim

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jun 5, 2012 at 8:51:58 pm

[TImothy Auld] " It was born out of necessity. Otherwise I would still be happily scratching my chin and spending a lot more of my time worrying about what I really get paid for."

LOL! I certainly didn't mean this in a bad way. I'm glad you didn't take it that way. It's like the song says, "I wish I didn't know NOW what I didn't know THEN."

Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine
Twitter: timdoubleyou

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on Jun 5, 2012 at 11:16:45 am

[Michael Gissing] "Have any of those afraid of Windows had any recent experience with Win 7 64 bit?"

I just recently installed Win 7 64 Ultimate using Parallels. What's the difference between Ultimate and the others? I don't know. Why do they have to have versions of the OS?

My first surprise (since I had not used Windows since XP) was the use of Local Disk (C). I'm not sure if Local Disk is there because I'm running in Parallels or not. Either way, why are they still using the nomenclature (C)? Weren't the drive letters a pre-Windows DOS term? Obviously this is not a big deal. I just wonder why they do it. Especially for non-technical people. C? What's C and where is A and B?

Then there's Libraries, located on the left pane (not sure what it's called) in and Explorer window. I'm not sure what Libraries are. By default it includes Documents. Under Favorites I have My Documents. If I put a file in My Documents (which resides in my user folder, then it shows up in Documents too. I don't think Documents in Libraries is the same directory location as My Documents in my User directory, but for some reason they contain the same files. I found this confusing. I wanted to remove Libraries, but I couldn't. I searched for a way but it either involves downloading some 3rd party app or modifying some REG EDIT files? No thanks. So I just removed everything under Libraries. Same goes for Homegroup, Computer and Network. Like it or not, they seem to have to stay.

Then I wanted to open a file inside an application. I got a different side panel set of options this time. Similar, but different. I can't get rid of any of them either. I can't seem to add anything either, like My Documents or any other Folder location. I can't simply drag folders onto the side panel, as I would with Mac OS. Again, this does not seem to be something I can configure. At least not without additional software or some hacking to the OS.

I noticed Floppy Disk Drive (A:) showed up. I hope that had something to do with Parallels and not the OS or the Application I was using.

Perhaps these examples are too trivial for most to be concerned about. But they are issues I encountered right away and would most likely see every time I had to access the file system.

So, yes I've used a recent copy of Windows 7 64 bit and I didn't care for it. Could I work with it? I suppose. Although I hope I don't have to.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jun 5, 2012 at 11:35:31 am

[Kevin Patrick] "Perhaps these examples are too trivial for most to be concerned about."

Yes, they are. I can go thru OSX and nit pick it as well. Tell me how easy it is to totally uninstall FCP from a MAC, and then look at the "remove programs" feature in Windows with awe and wonder. So what's the point. Both OSX and Windows 7 can easily be operated by anyone smart enough to open a beer can. Whoever can't should stick with crayons.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on Jun 5, 2012 at 12:01:00 pm

[Herb Sevush] "Tell me how easy it is to totally uninstall FCP from a MAC"

Install FCPX? Okay, that doesn't unistall it, but it does kind of move it out of the way.

Like I said, my examples are probably too trivial. Although I would like the OS to either help me be more efficient, or get out of the way. Which I didn't encounter on my brief journey back.

[Herb Sevush] "Windows 7 can easily be operated by anyone smart enough to open a beer can"

I'm not so sure about that. I installed Win 7 on my Mac because a friend of mine needed Win 7 for a particular application that was not on a Mac and I needed to help them out. (plus it gave me a reason to peek back at the Win side of things) They needed to open up Note Pad, the Win version of TextEdit. I suggested looking in Program Files, since any application your looking for on a Mac is in Applications. Well Note Pad isn't in Program Files. Why not? I don't know. I guess Program Files has most of the programs you'll need but not all the programs you'll need. You can find Note Pad using Start > All Programs > Accessories. Which might lead you to think Note Pad is in a folder called Accessories, but it's not. Accessories simply contains a Shortcut to Note Pad. Turns out Note Pad is located in the folder Windows. Make sense?

Yet another trivial example? Yes, I will concede that.

Will I be able to make the transition to Win if I have to? Yes.

Is Win 7 as easy to operate as a beer can? Assuming you've been opening other cans, I'm not so sure.

I hope I haven't started a Win vs. Mac discussion. I'm not interested in bashing Windows.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jun 5, 2012 at 12:11:15 pm

[Kevin Patrick] "Install FCPX? Okay, that doesn't unistall it, but it does kind of move it out of the way. "

That say's it all.

[Kevin Patrick] "I hope I haven't started a Win vs. Mac discussion."

Me too,

[Kevin Patrick] "I'm not interested in bashing Windows."

That was the sole purpose of your original post, what else was there?

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on Jun 5, 2012 at 12:17:19 pm

[Herb Sevush] "That was the sole purpose of your original post, what else was there?"

It may seem to have been my purpose, but it wasn't.

I was simply responding to the question about whether I had used it. I had. And as I pointed out, I could work with it, but I hope I don't have to.

I think I was posting my preference and I clarified by saying that I'm not interested in bashing Windows. I'm long past that discussion. People should use what works for them.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 5, 2012 at 4:32:51 pm

[Kevin Patrick] "I was simply responding to the question about whether I had used it. I had. And as I pointed out, I could work with it, but I hope I don't have to."

Kevin, I'm not going to try to sell you Windows. If you used it and you don't like it, then you don't like, and that's fine. You brought up some good criticisms of Windows (I think that drive letters are pretty dumb in 2012, too), but did you really approach Windows with an open mind?

We've seen this argument over and over on this forum. "I hate FCPX; it doesn't have projects and sequences. I hate FCPX; it forgets my in and out points. I hate FCPX; it doesn't have bins." After a little real use -- beyond a cursory glance -- you'll find that the event browser and projects, favorites, and keyword ranges are different ways to fill the same needs.

OS X and Windows do a lot of the same things, but they do them differently. If you try to drive a PC like it were a Mac, it'll feel weird. If you try to drive a Mac like it were a PC, it'll feel weird.

If you take a little time to learn them both (and it really doesn't take that long, especially if you have at least some prior Windows experience), you can switch back and forth all day long and get your work done. Coming from a Mac, your initial position will be that Windows has a lot to learn from OS X, but after a couple weeks, you might even find (like I have) that there are a couple really productive features that Macs could pick up from PCs.

[Kevin Patrick] "Although I would like the OS to either help me be more efficient, or get out of the way. Which I didn't encounter on my brief journey back."

Windows can help you be more efficient, and it can get out of your way, which a longer and more open journey might have shown you.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on Jun 6, 2012 at 11:42:07 am

[Walter Soyka] "did you really approach Windows with an open mind?"

Probably not. I wasn't trying to review or contrast Win 7 to OS X. I had just installed it to help someone out, so I wasn't really giving it much thought at the time. I quickly stumbled across some odd things which I wound up discussing in my response about using Win 7 recently.

To me, the use of drive letters seems old and antiquated. But perhaps it's a nostalgic thing for long time PC users and that's why the keep it around. My first computer was a 16 KB, dual floppy monochrome 80 character wide (I forget how many lines) text only IBM PC. So I do go way back to the day of A: and B:. So I do get it.

[Walter Soyka] "We've seen this argument over and over on this forum."

I don't think my few comments on Win 7 are similar to the exciting discussions that go on here about FCP X. I doubt I could come up with any valid reason why Win 7 would not work for me. Regardless of how odd I may think Microsoft does things, it would work just fine for me.

Although, it appears that the death of the Mac Pro may have been greatly exaggerated. If that's the case, then maybe I'll come back and bash Windows. (sorry, I couldn't resist)

Return to posts index

santiago marti
on Jun 5, 2012 at 2:38:56 pm

Press Windows key or click start and then type "notepad", hit enter. That's where notepad is for a Windows user.

Santiago Martí
Director at
http://www.robotrojo.com.ar

Return to posts index

Chris Jacek
on Jun 5, 2012 at 11:26:49 am

[Michael Gissing] "Have any of those afraid of Windows had any recent experience with Win 7 64 bit? "

I'd been an aggressive Mac advocate for nearly 20 years, almost never touching a Windows machine. Last year, after the release of FCPX, I bought a Dell desktop replacement laptop (XPS 17). I thought I'd start getting used to Windows in case the industry shifts away from Mac, which had been a slowly growing suspicion of mine over the past 5 years.

Using Premiere CS5 and CS5.5 on the Windows laptop was far easier than I'd expected, and the performance just killed my MPB (admittedly, not really a fair fight since it is 13" MBP). The only reasons I still used the Mac more than the PC was familiarity with OSX, stubbornness, and the fact that the curriculum I teach is still uses Macs.

Objectively looking at the situation, I'd say the experience is about the same on both. Both Windows 7 and OSX have things that are frustrating to me. Sadly, the annoyances on OSX are growing (to me, Lion is an example of Apple's new "we know what's best for you" philosophy), while the annoyances with Windows have been shrinking over the years.

I am most likely doing the change-over to Windows laptops in my curriculum this year, rather than next year or later as I had planned. I now am convinced that the industry will indeed shift to Windows as a result of Apple's new direction. Given the fact that for the same price as the entry-level 13" MBP, I can get a 17", dual HD Windows laptop with a CUDA-enabled NVidia card and Blu-Ray, it just does not make sense for me to force my students to purchase the lesser machine. It pains me to say it, but dollar for dollar, that lesser machine is the Mac. It used to be worth the extra money for a Mac, because you would get extra performance or a vastly superior interface. I no longer believe this is the case.

Professor, Producer, Editor
and former Apple Employee

Return to posts index

Jules bowman
on Jun 5, 2012 at 2:19:45 am

In defence of Steve, though i am sure he doesn't need defending, banter is par for the course in the uk and he was bantering. and if he is wrong I've no doubt he will take the return banter quite admirably. It is just wit. It works very well. And it is funny and generally comes with an underlying respect and affection. People should try it sometime. Though it may take 6 to 9 months of really getting to grips with the nuts and bolts of it, especially if it is a new paradigm for you and different to your usual modus operandi. And if after all that you still don't get it, try holding it differently.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jun 5, 2012 at 11:43:15 am

[Jules bowman] "In defence of Steve, though i am sure he doesn't need defending, banter is par for the course in the uk and he was bantering. and if he is wrong I've no doubt he will take the return banter quite admirably. It is just wit. It works very well. And it is funny and generally comes with an underlying respect and affection. People should try it sometime. Though it may take 6 to 9 months of really getting to grips with the nuts and bolts of it, especially if it is a new paradigm for you and different to your usual modus operandi. And if after all that you still don't get it, try holding it differently"

Nice, I'm thinking of collecting all the funny, esoteric and downright rude posts and exchanges from this forum and using them as dialogue in a feature script about a bunch of Editors who go on a road trip across America to "find themselves." Along the way they have many adventures and indulge in much witty banter about the nature of editing and life itself.

Who's in?

Steve Connor
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Carsten Orlt
on Jun 5, 2012 at 9:35:34 pm

Brilliant idea! Even better to take a bunch of foreign editors on the road trip through America with the final goal to make it big in LA.
But not sure it will end up as a comedy :-))

Best Carsten

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jun 5, 2012 at 8:03:33 am

[Michael Gissing] "[Steve Conner]"I'm really going to enjoy it when the new MacPros are launched next week, so many people to point and laugh at :)"

Seems like a petty thing to want to do. And if you are wrong, should others point and laugh at you?"

I may also do a little dance

Steve Connor
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jun 5, 2012 at 11:07:35 am

[Steve Connor] "[Michael Gissing] "[Steve Conner]"I'm really going to enjoy it when the new MacPros are launched next week, so many people to point and laugh at :)"

Seems like a petty thing to want to do. And if you are wrong, should others point and laugh at you?"

I may also do a little dance"

It might be like this

Steve Connor
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Jun 4, 2012 at 11:32:33 pm

I really hope you're right, I really do. Eating crow would be such a minimal price to pay!

;)

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 4, 2012 at 11:39:36 pm

I'd LOVE to be wrong...I really would.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Chris Conlee
on Jun 5, 2012 at 12:36:36 am

I'm drooling over that ProMax machine, and will be migrating BACK to Window's once I've used up my current MacPro. The only reason I went Mac in the first place was to have a seat of FC7 in case somebody walked in the door and needed it, which only happened once in the past 4 years. Media Composer runs better on Windows anyway.

Chris

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jun 6, 2012 at 9:06:34 am

[Steve Connor] "I'm really going to enjoy it when the new MacPros are launched next week, so many people to point and laugh at :)"

I have my pointing finger ready!

Steve Connor
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jun 5, 2012 at 12:38:25 am

[Viktor Kamenický] "Is it gonna FINALLY happen? "

Did you read all the way through the article?

"Apple not updating the Mac Pro for sometime leads us to believe that it may stay un-updated, so perhaps a new Mac mini is in the cards for WWDC."

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jun 5, 2012 at 1:50:23 am

[Herb Sevush] "[Viktor Kamenický] "Is it gonna FINALLY happen? "

Did you read all the way through the article?

"Apple not updating the Mac Pro for sometime leads us to believe that it may stay un-updated, so perhaps a new Mac mini is in the cards for WWDC."
"

Maybe he meant "Is it gonna finally NOT happen?"

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jun 5, 2012 at 2:30:11 am

Yeah, I don't get this. The article states:

Apple is also planning to refresh a fourth piece of their Mac line, and this leaves the Mac mini and the Mac Pro. We are currently unsure whether or not the Mac Pro or Mac mini will be the fourth Mac updated at the conference, but both Macs are due for a refresh, especially the Mac Pro.

Frankly, I'm perplexed that they think it could be the Mac Pro when it's clearly going to be an update to the Mini.

If Apple would put a decent GPU in the damn thing (a 1GB AMD 7000M or NVIDIA 600M would be ideal), I'll buy one. It would be a good desktop machine for when I want to run OSX apps instead of having to dig out the 17" every time. Unless they give the 17" one more go with Ivy Bridge and USB3 (and ExpressCard). Then I'd get that one.

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Jun 5, 2012 at 2:54:17 am

Sorry, the 17" doesn't fit with iApple's iPlans. The 17" will be he next casualty after the Mac Pro, mark my words. Soon, there will be no Mac laptop with a PCIe slot. Apple is betting its future on Thunderbolt. That means Thunderbolt iMacs, Thunderbolt MacBooks and Thunderbolt iPads. Yes, the next generation iPad will feature Thunderbolt.

Embrace your new Apple Thunderbolt overlords, or embrace Windows/Linux. Welcome to the iFuture.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jun 5, 2012 at 3:41:54 am

[Alan Okey] "The 17" will be he next casualty after the Mac Pro, mark my words"

Oh, I think it's on its way out...I just want to see if they release an Ivy Bridge version. I'm coming at it from a DIT perspective, in which ExpressCard and USB3 would be ideal. If not, then I move to something else.

[Alan Okey] " Yes, the next generation iPad will feature Thunderbolt."

I bet it won't. There's a) no point to having Thunderbolt on the iPad and b) would require a redesigned Thunderbolt cable to fit a redesigned connector that would work with the iPad aesthetics OR would require a dongle. Given that Apple seems to be going for a slimmer connector, I highly doubt that there are enough pins that would make Thunderbolt a reasonable choice. If the iPad gets any kind of faster cable connection, it will be USB3 more than anything else.

[Alan Okey] "Embrace your new Apple Thunderbolt overlords, or embrace Windows/Linux. Welcome to the iFuture."

Linux will require native Adobe apps before it goes mainstream in that way. So it's Windows/OSX for the foreseeable future. I'm more than comfortable on both, and, frankly, Thunderbolt isn't that bad of an option...if there were actually, you know, options for it. Where's my eSATA adapter? Where's my FW800 adapter? Where's my USB3 adapter? Oh, they don't exist yet. Belkin's coming out with one in the fall, sans USB3 and eSATA. And Matrox is also coming out with one...but USB3 ports only. It's like a comedy of errors.

Terrible growing pains for sure, but will it turn into anything like it's proponents tout it to be? I think the saving grace is that you can now get Thunderbolt outside of Apple. Perhaps that will finally spur on development.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jun 5, 2012 at 5:26:30 am

[Gary Huff] "Where's my eSATA adapter? "

I'm using the LaCie eSATA adaptor and it works quite well. It also has pass-through, making it daisy chain-able.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jun 5, 2012 at 12:31:30 pm

[Chris Harlan] "I'm using the LaCie eSATA adaptor and it works quite well. It also has pass-through, making it daisy chain-able."

Doesn't seem very portable. Does it require the use of the AC adapter?

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jun 5, 2012 at 2:02:08 pm

[Gary Huff] "[Chris Harlan] "I'm using the LaCie eSATA adaptor and it works quite well. It also has pass-through, making it daisy chain-able."

Doesn't seem very portable."

It's a tiny thing. Fits in one hand.

[Gary Huff] " Does it require the use of the AC adapter?
"

Yes, but so do my eSATA drives, except for my G-RAID mini which can run on USB while hooked up as eSATA.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jun 5, 2012 at 3:55:47 pm

[Chris Harlan] "Yes, but so do my eSATA drives, except for my G-RAID mini which can run on USB while hooked up as eSATA."

Well, that means you have TWO AC Adapters rolling, while an eSATA ExpressCard just requires the use of the one on the hard drive, so I don't see that as an improvement.

Isn't Thunderbolt supposed to provide power? Why does this adapter requires the use of its own AC adapter?

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jun 5, 2012 at 4:16:11 pm

[Gary Huff] "[Chris Harlan] "Yes, but so do my eSATA drives, except for my G-RAID mini which can run on USB while hooked up as eSATA."

Well, that means you have TWO AC Adapters rolling, while an eSATA ExpressCard just requires the use of the one on the hard drive, so I don't see that as an improvement."

I don't recall making any kind of statement that LaCie eSATA adaptor was an "improvement" over an ExpressCard. But, if I had to choose one or the other, I would choose TBolt. It can daisy-chain. Express Card can't. With ExpressCard, I've always had to choose eSATA or MXO2 out. With TBolt, you can get both. Also, if something becomes disconnected from your TBolt chain, you don't have to worry about the immanent kernel panic that looms every time the spring-loaded ExpressCard slot accidentally ejects the card because of a jostle or nudge.

[Gary Huff] "Isn't Thunderbolt supposed to provide power? Why does this adapter requires the use of its own AC adapter?
"

It provides some power. Clearly not enough. The only thing I'm aware of that runs off TBolt power is the Elgato SSD, and that has no pass-through.

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Jun 5, 2012 at 10:13:30 pm

Gary, Belkin has revised the dock to include eSATA and USB3.0:
http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/05/belkin-upgrades-thunderbolt-express-doc...

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Jun 5, 2012 at 10:17:40 pm

Gary, sorry for redundant post re Belkin. I didn't notice you had started a new thread re Belkin as I was buried reading in this thread!

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jun 6, 2012 at 3:33:46 am

[Rick Lang] "Gary, sorry for redundant post re Belkin. I didn't notice you had started a new thread re Belkin as I was buried reading in this thread!"

No, that's cool! Yes, I'm interested in the Belkin. Kind of expensive, but it looks very nice so far. Of course, it all depends on how "Plug and Play" it turns out to be when people actually get it in their hands.

Return to posts index

Viktor Kamenický
on Jun 5, 2012 at 9:34:35 am

Yeah a read that, but still I'm exited what will be announced at WWDC.

"You never want to get to get a call from the editing room"
Art Adams

Return to posts index

Dan Stewart
on Jun 5, 2012 at 12:48:07 pm

I'm on tenterhooks too. Got to make a decision on some kit soon - I'd love to pair up my Avid/Adobe/Resolve PC with a Smoke for Mac finishing station, but I'm damned if I'm going to walk away from an 8 core Xeon workstation with 24gb ram and a Quadro to go and finish on an iMac!!
If the mac pro goes the same way as all Apple 'pro' gear seems to be going, I would consider a Hackintosh Smoke station.. anyone heard of a good recipe?

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jun 5, 2012 at 1:01:15 pm

[Dan Stewart] "I would consider a Hackintosh Smoke station.. anyone heard of a good recipe?"

I've heard great things about the new Ivy Bridge Gigabyte Mainboards with UEFI.

Return to posts index

Dan Stewart
on Jun 6, 2012 at 1:51:07 pm

Thanks looks like Ivy Bridge is definitely the way to go..

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]