FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adobe's use of OpenCL/GL in CS6

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Seeman
Adobe's use of OpenCL/GL in CS6
on Jun 4, 2012 at 9:08:06 pm

While these are only Photoshop CS6 tests it certainly can indicate what's going on in their other apps and how significant the GPU is to CS6.
http://barefeats.com/pscs6.html

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
Re: Adobe's use of OpenCL/GL in CS6
on Jun 4, 2012 at 10:36:11 pm

I saw this earlier. What I found interesting is the fact that PS is not using CUDA. Does this imply that Adobe is moving away from CUDA? Or just for PS?

Also, I didn't understand why the Quadro 4000 performed well with Liquify but not with Iris Blur.

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
on Jun 5, 2012 at 12:24:49 am

At least in Premiere Pro they have stated that all of the 'blurs' are not yet supported with openCL backing. This means that it's only CPU doing that. Just a guess...might be related.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 5, 2012 at 12:28:03 am

[Kevin Patrick] "I saw this earlier. What I found interesting is the fact that PS is not using CUDA. Does this imply that Adobe is moving away from CUDA? Or just for PS? "

This is just a wild guess, but of all the dedicated PS users I know (print/web designers, photogs, etc) they use an overwhelming amount of portable Macs in laptops/iMacs. Hardly ever do I see MacPros being used in any of the agencies I've been in lately. There might be one or two for special tasks including video, but day in/day out its an iMac or Mac laptop. Adobe might see this anecdote, too, I don't know.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

santiago marti
on Jun 5, 2012 at 5:04:45 am

PS uses cuda since CS5 or even CS4 i think. I can't remember if it was cuda already, but I remember the change when I installed my now old quadro 4800, zooming and moving pictures became ultra smooth. Then cuda arrived to start taking care of effects too.

Santiago Martí
Director at
http://www.robotrojo.com.ar

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 5, 2012 at 5:40:01 am

[santiago marti] "PS uses cuda since CS5 or even CS4 i think."

It wasn't CUDA. Photoshop's GPU acceleration has been based on OpenGL.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

santiago marti
on Jun 5, 2012 at 2:26:03 pm

Yes Walter, it wasn't cuda natively, but some plug-ins, like beauty box from digital anarchy used cuda in previous PS versions.

Santiago Martí
Director at
http://www.robotrojo.com.ar

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jun 6, 2012 at 2:18:46 pm

[Kevin Patrick] " the fact that PS is not using CUDA. Does this imply that Adobe is moving away from CUDA? Or just for PS? "

I was at the NY Adobe road show yesterday. The head of the CS6 hardware team was there and he made it clear that while Adobe is looking to support OpenCL/GL for Mac systems, his/their preference is for CUDA because as he said "I'm all about the speed and CUDA is much faster."

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on Jun 6, 2012 at 3:56:42 pm

It's good to hear Adobe working on support for Mac users.

Did they say whether the OpenCL/GL work was just being targeted for PS or are they planning on adding Premiere Pro to this support?

Or did I miss somewhere that CS6 PR is already adding OpenCL/GL? I have a Quadro 4000 along side a 5770, but I didn't check to see if PR recognized 5770.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jun 6, 2012 at 3:58:43 pm

[Kevin Patrick] "Did they say whether the OpenCL/GL work was just being targeted for PS or are they planning on adding Premiere Pro to this support? "

PPro 6 utilizes OpenCL on a specific list of cards. This was done primarily for the MBP customers. There is a hack to get it to work on many other cards as well.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]