FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can't Work on Project - CRASH

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fred Roberts
Can't Work on Project - CRASH
on Jun 4, 2012 at 4:39:31 pm

Hello-

Right now I cannot open FCPX. I've been working on a 15 minute project with a moderate amount of effects.

Tried to edit today, and after opening, quits after trying to render.

Ran Pro Maintinance Tools which generated this crash report:

Effects Rendering

This crash appears to have occurred while trying to render effects on a clip. Possible causes for this include corrupt or unsupported media, a bad filter, a graphics card issue or too many filters applied to a single clip.

Suggested Actions

Use Corrupt Clip Finder to check for corrupt media.
If you are editing with long GOP media (H.264, HDV, MPEG-2, XDCAM, WMV, etc), consider letting Final Cut Pro X transcode them to ProRes for better performance.
Consolidate filters where possible. For instance, if you have multiple color corrections on a single clip, try to achieve the same colors with just one filter.
Remove third party filters from clips, or use Plugin Manager to disable them completely.
Make sure you are running the latest version of OS X.

--------------
Relevant Line
0 com.apple.Flexo 0x0000000100cbe2ce -[FFEffectStack(Retiming) retimed] + 30
--------------

I've deleted every render file.
I've deleted every thumbnail file.
I've trashed all preference files and caches.
Deactivated all filters within FX Factory.
No corrupt files found in Events or Projects folders.
I've uninstalled, and reinstalled FCPX 10.0.4
I've updated the OS to 10.7.4
My external LaCie Rugged has only two folders on it, Events and Projects. The entire drive is for one project.

Nothing. Crashes on open.

I'm completely out of ideas. Anyone who can help me solve this will have a slave for life...or certainly my deep gratitude.

Thank you.

Final Cut Pro X, Mac OS X (10.7.4), FCPX 10.0.4 / 2.93 GHz / 8GB Ram

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Can't Work on Project - CRASH
on Jun 4, 2012 at 5:01:18 pm

Remove all events and try to open FCPX. Confirms that the issue is related to an Event (and you may suspect which one). If it still crashes it may be a plist, XML, Cache, you missed or some other config issue.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 4, 2012 at 5:24:44 pm

Also, can you export (or Share) instead of rendering?

FCPX works a little differently than FCP7 and rendering your timeline isn't as necessary if you don't want to.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Fred Roberts
on Jun 4, 2012 at 6:02:19 pm

It crashes before I have a chance to select anything. It stays open the same amount of time each time I open the program. Crash report is always saying the same thing.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 4, 2012 at 6:27:53 pm

[Fred Roberts] "It crashes before I have a chance to select anything. It stays open the same amount of time each time I open the program. Crash report is always saying the same thing."

Turn off background rendering in prefs.

Return to posts index

Fred Roberts
on Jun 4, 2012 at 8:17:24 pm

Can't really get that to stick before it crashes.

Using Pro Maintenance Tools, the crash report focuses on this line:

0 com.apple.Flexo 0x0000000100cc12ce -[FFEffectStack(Retiming) retimed] + 30

I don't have any THIRD PARTY retiming effects applied, but I have several clips retimed using FCPX native effect. How in the world would I be able to find the clip that has a native effect applied, and presumably try to disable it?

I've exported an XML file, reimported it after removing the original project from the Projects Folder. Still crashes at the same time with the same crash report.

I'm getting nowhere. I'm even afraid to start the edit over, the worst case scenario, for fear that this could happen again if I don't find the culprit.

Thanks for any support and ideas.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 4, 2012 at 8:25:00 pm

Are you saying you can't get to the prefs before it crashes?

Did you move all of the Events and Projects out of the folders and relaunch FCPX?

Easiest way to do this is make a folder called Final Cut Projects Disabled and Final Cut Events Disabled.

Drag all the folders in your Final Cut Events and Projects folders in to the corresponding Disabled folders.

[Fred Roberts] "I don't have any THIRD PARTY retiming effects applied, but I have several clips retimed using FCPX native effect. How in the world would I be able to find the clip that has a native effect applied, and presumably try to disable it?"

Select all, command-r, anything that doesn't have a green 100% marker is retimed. Find those clips, shift-n to reset the timing.

Return to posts index

Fred Roberts
on Jun 4, 2012 at 6:00:42 pm

Thanks I'll try this.

Return to posts index

tony west
on Jun 4, 2012 at 8:31:52 pm

Mine crashed on me yesterday.

When I opened it back up it was like a brand new app.

All events and projects gone.

I restarted the computer and then everything was back to normal.

I don't know if you have tried a restart.

Very scary.

Return to posts index

Fred Roberts
on Jun 4, 2012 at 9:16:58 pm

Yes have done this many times with no luck.

Thank you.

Return to posts index

shawn Bockoven
on Jun 4, 2012 at 9:45:40 pm

Make sure your computer is booted in 64 bit. If you have multiple projects, move them out of the folder they are stored in one at a time until FCP will open. Just went through this a few weeks ago. The editor was booting into 32 bit and creating multiple compound clips.

Return to posts index

Fred Roberts
on Jun 5, 2012 at 1:31:55 am

Hello-

Tried booting in 64bit, although I thought that was the default for Lion?
Seemed to work at first, didn't crash for a good amount of time, then crashed.

FCPX opens fine if there are no projects and events. Once I put the ONE project I am working on back in the Projects folder, crash happens. No corrupt files found. I'm using a LaCie Rugged 500GB external with nothing else on it except the Events and Projects folders. No system file on that drive, nothing.

It's insane.

Now all I can think of is that suddenly my system can't handle what it's being asked to do.

iMac (2009), 2.93 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GT 120, VRAM 256 MB

I'm about ready to loose a job here.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 5, 2012 at 1:58:50 am

[Fred Roberts] "FCPX opens fine if there are no projects and events. Once I put the ONE project I am working on back in the Projects folder, crash happens. No corrupt files found. I'm using a LaCie Rugged 500GB external with nothing else on it except the Events and Projects folders. No system file on that drive, nothing."

Ok. Is it still crashing when rendering?

Return to posts index

Fred Roberts
on Jun 5, 2012 at 2:13:56 am

Thanks for your reply. Still crashing, just as it starts to render.

I'm able to uncheck background render, then of course it's ok. But no ability to edit.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 5, 2012 at 2:24:14 am

[Fred Roberts] "I'm able to uncheck background render, then of course it's ok. But no ability to edit."

Fred-

Please try and be specific as possible.

So, you can uncheck background render and no crash, but when you start to edit, it crashes?

Or are you saying without background editing, you can't edit?

Return to posts index

Fred Roberts
on Jun 5, 2012 at 2:33:10 am

Yes when there is no background rendering, no crash. Any attempt to render, or export the entire project, causes a crash with the error message I posted above.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 5, 2012 at 3:04:59 am

Ok.

One thing at a time, I know it's tense at the moment.

Do you know which clips are retimed? Have you tried taking the retime off?

What format is your media?

Return to posts index

Fred Roberts
on Jun 5, 2012 at 3:57:08 am

Good advice. I am loosing my mind a bit.

If I load the project to try and remove any effects or titles that might be causing the problem, it crashes. Turning background render off seems to not prevent the project from rendering once I load it into the timeline. This short period, from when I load it to when I try to make changes, is enough time for it to crash.

All the footage is there of course. I just can't access it to try and troubleshoot.

Thanks.
Steven

Return to posts index

Fred Roberts
on Jun 5, 2012 at 3:59:42 am

Good advice. I am loosing my mind a bit.

If I load the project to try and remove any effects or titles that might be causing the problem, it crashes. Turning background render off seems to not prevent the project from rendering once I load it into the timeline. This short period, from when I load it to when I try to make changes, is enough time for it to crash.

All the footage is there of course. I just can't access it to try and troubleshoot.

UPDATE: Now it appear even while opening FCP with NO projects in the Projects folder, it crashes. I opened the program with no Projects, but with Events for that project. I'll try with no events.

Thanks.
Steven

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 5, 2012 at 4:34:32 am

Ok. No Events?

Return to posts index

Fred Roberts
on Jun 5, 2012 at 4:41:25 am

With no events, and just the project, it crashes. Same error message in crash report.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 5, 2012 at 4:44:04 am

Lets try a simple yet radical test.

Create a New User Admin account.
Delete all login items for that account.
Remove all peripherals from your system including internal hard drives.
Reboot the computer and log into the New User Admin account.

At this point the User and FCPX will have a completely set of fresh preferences and empty cache.
Open FCPX (now completely empty) and close it. That will ensure fresh preferences are saved.
Hook up your external hard drive and move one file of your choice, ideally ProRes if possible, and short duration also if possible, to your desktop.
Import the clip (new Event), drop it in to the timeline (new Project), Export it.

At this point if you have a crash it is system rather than user or event or project based.

Return to posts index

Fred Roberts
on Jun 5, 2012 at 4:53:00 am

I did something close to that on another machine, new account, no external hardware, etc.

Based on getting the same error message after the crash, I'm convinced it's crashing when it tries to render, either a retimed clip or something else.

I'm just trying to figure out how to salvage a week's work and not start over. I just can't find a way to remove the effects before they begin to render. I just need FCP stable long enough to remove the effect causing the crash.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 5, 2012 at 4:59:52 am

Are your retimed clips connected or in the primary?

Return to posts index

Fred Roberts
on Jun 5, 2012 at 6:05:56 am

There are both types in the project.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 5, 2012 at 5:01:29 am

[Fred Roberts] "I just need FCP stable long enough to remove the effect causing the crash."

First you need a verified stable FCPX. You need to confirm FCPX and the user account is table.
There are so many reasons you could be crashing that it would be difficult to troubleshoot an account where any number of things may have become corrupted due to the crash.

Get to a known verifiable clean state and test with a single new event and a single new project with a single clip. Consider it the "control" in the experiment. It's way too easy to overlook something or make a wrong assumption. Once you get there it's becomes much easier to troubleshoot.

Return to posts index

Sandeep Sajeev
on Jun 5, 2012 at 12:00:11 pm

Fred,

- Have you exported out any versions of your edit? If you're running out of time, it might be quicker to piece together any segment exports that you may already have.

- Have you tried opening your XML file on another FCPX system?

- Do you have XML Versions? If so, have you tried loading an earlier version?

Sandeep.

Return to posts index

Fred Roberts
on Jun 5, 2012 at 9:01:12 pm

Hello Sandeep-

Thanks for trying to help us out with this, we still can't access the project.

We've exported one, incomplete version in h.264.

I've tried loading the XML version on the same machine and on a different one, no luck.

Best,
Steven

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jun 5, 2012 at 9:49:29 pm

Fred,

Understand your frustration.

Also, do you have access to iChat or FaceTime via an iPhone or iPad separate from the machine you're having the problems on?

If you do, I'd be happy to try to connect with you in real time that way and talk you through some problem solving steps.

Good luck, and keep us up to date.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

Fred Roberts
on Jun 6, 2012 at 3:59:23 am

Hello Bill-

That's a very generous offer. Thank you.

We've begun to reedit for obvious reasons, but I have the ear of a very qualified person and I will report back to this thread. Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Fred Roberts
on Jun 13, 2012 at 6:27:57 am

Have had a good back and forth about this particular corruption of the project file with Jon Chappell at Digital Rebellion. I provided him crash reports from the only piece of software that offers some hope in these situations, Pro Maintenance Tools. His semi-conclusion:

"Something strange is happening here. It looks like FCPX is trying to render or process a clip and is ending up in recursion hell and probably running out of memory. This may be because a compound clip or secondary storyline is involved or because the database links between some of the clips have been corrupted.
The difficult part isn't identifying the problem though, it's trying to work out what you as an end-user can do to fix it. And I don't really know the answer to that. FCPX unfortunately has a lot of bugs that fall into this category."

Terrible to know that all the footage, edits, etc. are there, but FCPX project file can't read them.

Thanks to all who offered suggestions and help.
Steven

Return to posts index

Charley Holland
on Feb 15, 2014 at 11:18:16 am

Hello,

For what it's worth, I had kinda the same issue today. After much messing about I was able to fix the problem in my case. Firstly I had to stop Background Rendering. I noticed FCPX was doing this frenzied rendering, which quickly soaked up all the memory, causing an application memory alert. So, stopping background rendering allowed me to investigate.

Secondly, It was only in one project that the frenzied rendering was occurring.

When I tried to export (share) the project, I got a fail message, which handily gave me the frame number that the export crashed at. Zooming all the way in to the timeline, I discovered a few frames of a movie that were unrendered and would not render manually. "Revealing In Finder" and right click opening with Digital Rebellion's QT Repair app gave me the diagnosis of very corrupt!

I remade the video file, and in doing that was alerted to the possibility that Perian may have caused the corruption in the first place. I disabled that, laid up the new video, deleted the old and problem fixed.

I could even turn background rendering back on.
This thread helped me enormously. Thanks to everyone!!

Return to posts index

Vic Mmm
on Sep 8, 2016 at 12:03:07 am

FCP crashing on opening project.

This is my situation, on Final Cut Pro X 10.2.1 OSX 10.10.1 I could open FCP but if I clicked certain projects it would crash.

I tried several methods before finding one that worked. What didn't work:

1) trashing preferences
2) opening project in OSX safe mode
3) highlighting corrupt project with arrows, File > Export XML, Closing FCP, File > Import XML

The 3rd option actually made things worse as in made the project that opens by default corrupt, forcing me to open FCP with no default file present then choosing the library to open.

This is what did work:

First open the library and move the curser with the keyboard over the corrupt project then Duplicate Project as a snapshot (shift command D). Make a many copies of this, as it will take many times to get the next instruction to work. It took me a few dozen times before getting the hang of it.

In a non-corrupt project in the same library make an edit (like a transition effect) that forces some render to show in progress, then double click the corrupt project, and QUICKLY click the timeline and select all (command-A) and delete the whole project. This should cancel the render that was corrupting the opening. Now you can redo the deletion to bring it all back and it won't crash like it did before.

Hopefully this helps someone else, as nothing else online was working for me. :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]