FORUMS: list search recent posts

Apple Posts FAQ on FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Patrick
Apple Posts FAQ on FCPX
on Jun 1, 2012 at 1:39:13 pm

In case you didn't know how to pronounce FCPX.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5148

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Apple Posts FAQ on FCPX
on Jun 1, 2012 at 1:45:40 pm

I saw that yesterday.

I actually laughed out loud.

A hell of a way to start an FAQ.

I still call it "ex" AND "ten", FAQ be damned.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jun 1, 2012 at 1:51:07 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "I actually laughed out loud."

To their credit, I think they did that halfway tongue in cheek.

Maybe not. I know that people pronouncing things they way the LOOK instead of the way they're SUPPOSED TO SAY IT drives branding people insane. Heaven forbid that they spell it the way they want it pronounced.

The thing that struck me is that there are almost no actual answers. It actually is a list of the questions, which is pretty remarkable. "Here's the list of questions, now go away and read the answers WHERE THEY'VE ALWAYS BEEN, YOU MORONS."

I mean, after each question it might as well as just said RTFW (read the f-ing website).

My FAVORITE favorite thing is where they actually direct you to ANOTHER FAQ, which likewise is just a list of links -- many of them the EXACT SAME LINKS as the page they just directed you away from.

My theory is that this is a jingling set of car keys. "Look over here you crying babies! Shiny! Shiny!" Maybe they hope you'll get mad enough at the FAQ that you'll forget how mad you are about FCP ECKS.

Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine
Twitter: timdoubleyou

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 1, 2012 at 3:35:42 pm

[Tim Wilson] "To their credit, I think they did that halfway tongue in cheek."

Absolutely. I really hope they did, and I really did get a good belly laugh out of it. I love it.

[Tim Wilson] " know that people pronouncing things they way the LOOK instead of the way they're SUPPOSED TO SAY IT drives branding people insane. Heaven forbid that they spell it the way they want it pronounced."

I look to AJA for that. They don't care HOW you say it. Call it what you want. They don't bat an eye.

[Tim Wilson] "My theory is that this is a jingling set of car keys. "Look over here you crying babies! Shiny! Shiny!" Maybe they hope you'll get mad enough at the FAQ that you'll forget how mad you are about FCP ECKS. "

On the other hand, it's nice to have one resource to go to instead of trying to remember exactly which part of the ever sprawling web universe you found the actual answer to your question.

Sure they could have typed it all out. Again.

But giving a hyperlinked resource is alight in my book. All you have to do is google "Final Cut Pro X FAQ" and you're on your way.

But whatevs, apparently I am a fanboy.

You want confusion, go navigate HP's website. LOL

Jeremy

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Jun 1, 2012 at 3:44:52 pm

[Tim Wilson] "To their credit, I think they did that halfway tongue in cheek.

Maybe not."

They have a sense of humour about themselves?

Your tongue is planted firmly in cheek. I can see it, between the hair falls.

David
AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jun 1, 2012 at 4:15:05 pm

[David Cherniack] "Your tongue is planted firmly in cheek. I can see it, between the hair falls."

That's true of every post I make. I try to add enough smilies and LOLs to indicate that I'm having fun with this, and that I am in fact a 14-year old girl.

(See also: my essay at the COW professing my love for The Vampire Diaries called Confessions of a Teenage Girl.)

And Jeremy, you've never seen me say one nice thing about HP's website. I have in fact taken this up with them more than twice.

Tim Wilson
Creative COW Magazine

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 1, 2012 at 5:29:41 pm

[Tim Wilson] "I have in fact taken this up with them more than twice."

Are they listening? After all, it's only Apple that never listens based on what I read in this forum.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jun 1, 2012 at 5:54:51 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Are they listening? After all, it's only Apple that never listens based on what I read in this forum."

If I had to choose between a company with a good website who wasn't listening to millions of people about computers...or a company with good computers who wasn't listening to one idiot about their website....well....

Tim Wilson
Creative COW Magazine

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 1, 2012 at 6:04:02 pm

[Tim Wilson] "who wasn't listening to millions of people about computers"

It seems they're listening when it comes to computers. They sell well. If they're not listening about MacPros . . . I don't think that's millions or they might be listening to that too. It's possible they are listening. They're just taking a very long time to talk back.

[Tim Wilson] "or a company with good computers who wasn't listening to one idiot about their website"

But that might be because no one else can find the "contact us" on their website otherwise they'd be hearing from many more idiots errr potential customers.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jun 2, 2012 at 1:12:15 am

[Craig Seeman] "But that might be because no one else can find the "contact us" on their website"

You're kidding, right? I went to the product pages for the Z1, the 8560 mobile workstation, the Z820, the Dreamcolor Monitor -- every one of them had both the toll-free US number AND a Contact Us link at the very top of the page. Maybe you didn't see them because you're used to looking at the BOTTOM of the page like at Apple.com. :-)

Dude, at the Contact Us link at the top of the page, they even have the extensions listed (pre-sales, tech support, etc) so you don't have to crawl through voice-direction hell. There's even LIVE CHAT available during business hours. Listed right at the top of every product page.

It's not a pretty site, but I don't see what else they can do about making it easier to contact them in so many different ways. Did I mention live chat?

As for Apple not listening re: computers, I don't see what else THEY can do to make it more clear. They've been saying it since at least 1985 that they don't. That's when Steve openly mocked IBM because they DID listen to their customers. Said it showed a lack of pride in their work -- and Steve was nothing if not proud of his work. As he put it in 2008 in Forbes, why ask customers for input when they can't see what's around the corner?

(I've linked to these stories before and can dig 'em up if you need 'em. Or read Isaacson.)

Plenty of listening coming from the Pro Apps team, for a long time.

Computers: no, no, no, no. Apple has tried to make this clear, using actual English words. No.

Not that it's fair to Apple, Timmy or anyone else to still equate Apple with Steve and his values -- but how far and how fast do you expect Apple to abandon a winning strategy?

So, my late Friday typical rhetorical exaggeration messing around, I'm still right in the generals, if not entirely every specific...although this time I'm right about the specifics too.

Tim Wilson
Creative COW Magazine

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 2, 2012 at 2:56:04 am

[Tim Wilson] "You're kidding, right? "

Yes, I've actually been to the HP site many times. I even own PCs and may even buy and HP after previously buying a Dell (never again).

As to computers, it seems the customers are happy given how well the laptops and probably the iMacs sell.

Return to posts index

Jules bowman
on Jun 2, 2012 at 7:13:19 am

That's why I try and avoid long conversations with Craig. Blinded by the light.

News report: apple invent time travel and send man back to assassinate ghandi.

Craig: ghandi wore sandals and apple have lots of hidden metrics that probably determine that sandal wearing peaceniks are slowly devaluing the corporate ecosystem and are thus negating the potency of human advancement through privatised endeavour and so are perfectly correct in their approach of selective de-existencing as can been seen and proven by the fact they sell billions of app downloads.

Forum: but, er, Craig, they shot ghandi.

Craig: everything apple do is logical and thought out with a long term game plan that is beneficial to the consumer base and just because we aren't privy to their game plan due to totally warranted triple-down double espresso mocha latte secrecy doesn't mean the are not perfectly correct. Look, thunderbolt.

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Jun 2, 2012 at 8:21:25 pm

Jules, I hope Craig finds your post as funny as everyone else does on this forum. Well, maybe with a few exceptions.... :)

David
AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index

Jules bowman
on Jun 2, 2012 at 9:51:26 pm

I hope so, it was more friendly banter than anything else. But we shall see :)

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jun 3, 2012 at 12:40:42 am

[Jules bowman] "I hope so, it was more friendly banter than anything else. But we shall see :)"

Well lets break it down.

First sentence - personal about Craig being "blinded by the light rather than any hardware or software topics.
Second - snarky "time travel" quip - essentially the same.
Third - the same - another thinly veiled attempt to imply Craig's not thinking straight - and addressed to him by name.
Fourth - again, directed at Craig by name - the point of which, I suppose is that gandi (his caps) was a fool, perhaps, and so got shot, the silly twit. (Curious that Ghandi's name is going down in history when the rest of ours are almost surely not. But heck, it's fun to poke at those who's accomplishments are widely considered tremendously superior to our own by the world at large - makes us feel a bit more powerful, huh?)

Fifth graph - more targeted "comeuppance" aimed at Craig by name. Ending in "Look, thunderbolt."

(Probably not accurate but that struck me as a bit like UP's wonderful "Squirrel" gag - which is particularly resonant for me since we just lost our Aussie of 12 years to old age a week ago. (First time in 30 years we haven't had a dog in our house - talk about withdrawal!)

So in reviewing the above, the fundamental truth to my eye, is that once again Jules spends his time concentrating his attention not on ideas, but on the individuals who disagree with him in order to attempt to diminish them as people. (I would have limited myself to that same standard in this, but I couldn't actually find any ideas in his post, so I'm stuck playing his game - sorry.)

Craig = years of reasoned comments about FCP-X (about which he knows much) and production in general (the same)

Jules = personal attacks and limited logical contributions to the general knowledge base here regarding the primary forum topic.

Game set and match, to Craig, IMO - on his long and proven history of helping others here and very, very seldom being even impolite in the process.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

Jules bowman
on Jun 3, 2012 at 8:38:36 am

Yes dear.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jun 2, 2012 at 1:03:09 am

[Kevin Patrick] "In case you didn't know how to pronounce FCPX.

"

That's so funny. Sorta like "That's Mr. Ex to you."

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 2, 2012 at 5:12:30 am

[Kevin Patrick] "In case you didn't know how to pronounce FCPX.

"

That's so funny. Sorta like "That's Mr. Ex to you."

I know many editors who prefer to call it Final Cut Pro Cross, because they still feel angry. I hope it is TIC because if it isn't that's a bit sad really.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Jun 3, 2012 at 7:37:57 pm

The FAQ (does that stand for Frequently Asked or Answered Questions?) actually looks like a gag hack that somebody imbedded secretly into the Apple site... really? I tried to follow some of the URL tags and it put Safari into permanent beachball. Sort of almost as useful as the "FCPX, 2B or not2B? discussion itself.

Anyway, I pronounce it FC-ex, like ex-spouse. But I still have the house and the kids.

jPo

You mean "Old Ben"? Ben Kenobi?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]