FORUMS: list search recent posts

Top Gear fans

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lance Bachelder
Top Gear fans
on May 30, 2012 at 12:33:53 am

Pretty cool transition pack for FCPX inspired by one of my favorite shows - the real UK version of Top Gear.

https://vimeo.com/42615873

Sorry - no Premiere version :(

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Irvine, California

Return to posts index

Jules bowman
Re: Top Gear fans
on May 30, 2012 at 7:58:57 am

As it goes, those looked great. In fact only the second thing that has made me think 'should I try FC10 again?. Then I think of that timeline (or whatever it is called) and remember I'm not pompous enough to think of one of my edits as an event... I mean it is just a little edit I did, and the 6 to 8 months (which does keep growing apparently) I have to respend learning how to edit before I will even 'start' to get it and I think, 'nah, I can live without those'.

Good job though. They did look good.

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on May 30, 2012 at 8:02:28 am

Same thoughts here - not only some nice transitions but the video is pretty cool and shows that you can do "pro" work in FCPX.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Irvine, California

Return to posts index

Jules bowman
on May 30, 2012 at 8:47:42 am

Ha ha. Lance, I don't think anyone thinks you can't do work ultimately looks good and earns money in FC10. I do think the 'Pro' discussion is about, and in fact should be about, the interactive top end post facility houses on the whole... at least to me that is Pro. I know I am a professional, partly because my work is ok and partly because people give me money to do it, but I don't consider myself a Pro, not do I really care about it. It is just a moniker. But a post house in Soho to me is Pro and their needs aren't met as much by FC10.

For me not using FC10 is because of a plethora of other reasons. It's funny I looked at these and did think 'nice tools for the arsenal' and then I read the replies in Steve's '10.4 is it stable' thread and it reminded me how little I can be arsed to fight with an NLE to get the job done.

I've said it many times but if FC10 was a genuine re-write upgrade to FCP7 then all would have been fine and dandy. Some cool new features combined with an established and adaptable way of editing that was, simply put, not broken. But not only did the powers that be deign to ditch most of that and change everything, they even re-named everything which to me just reeks of self-obsession and gives me an overriding 'meh!' sensation when I think about the authors of it.

PP6 is not a replacement for FCP7 either. Again, I talk about its usability, not the back end power. What both PP6 developers and FC10 developers seem to be missing/ignoring/painfully oblivious to, is the utter joyful ease with which a whole range of editors with a whole range of different needs found peace, comfort, ease of use and common sense in the way FCP7 worked.

If Adobe genuinely want to take FCP7s market share, they need to bite the bullet and just rip off all the great little things about FCP7 in terms of ease of editing use. Plus resolve the 3rd party transition filter issues (big pain in the arse that one) and this kind of insanity that means a single simple change in my edit means I have to render on export the whole thing again. That is just folly.

If Apple want to take FCP7s market share they need to have a switch between tracks and trackless, un-re-name everything simply to stop looking like cocks, debug something that drives people to dispair and stick back in all the great little things about FCP7 in terms of ease of editing use (persistent IO anyone?).

No-one banging on about the pros of either of these new NLEs has a leg to stand on unless they include these limitations in their arguments, as far as i am concerned. Telling me IOF is the new IO is missing so many usability methodologys it just reeks of the same self obsessed arrogance that Apple display. Same as if someone banged on about Mercury playback justifying all else when the render on export feature is a timewaster (not that anyone has done this, was just trying to think of an example).

Remember most people who will come here and read these forums are not tech heads, they simply edit. I'm not a tech head, I don't have the aptitude or capacity to digest and retain that sort of information. I do, though, make video for a living. And am not too shoddy at it. So for me the back end power of stuff is great but an expectation not a 'oooh' thing. Keyword meta data? Yeah, whatever, nice for some, but what is this bollocks with the timeline all about?

Anyway, point at the start of this splurge was that I really think the FC10 Pro/Not-Pro is, well, redundant. Features are back in in some ways (even if by non Apple people) and we know people can use it to make money so it is pro.

The debate now is how frigging annoying is the whole thing and can you be arsed to workaround it?

For me, no. I still cling to the semblance of a life so the 6 to 8 months (or is it a year now Bill?) I need to 'retrain' myself to do something I can do perfectly well seems like 6 to 8 months I could spend living my life. We may even get a summer in England this year, so don't want to miss that given we get one every 7 years.

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
on May 30, 2012 at 7:24:40 pm

[Jules bowman] "But a post house in Soho to me is Pro and their needs aren't met as much by FC10."

Jules is correct, in fact I would go as far as to say their needs are barely met at all. I am fairly sure the Soho post house in question is Evolutions TV. They certainly edited the last couple of series of Top Gear or if they didnt do the last one it was the two before that.
Anyway they are an Avid house that uses Baselight to grade.

I dont know a high end facility house left in London now that is all FCP, there were a couple like Air Post that started as an FCP house but now have Avid. FCPX is yet to make any impact at all. It will be interesting see how long that takes.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

Liam Hall
on May 30, 2012 at 8:13:36 pm

FCPX has had ZERO impact in London, but then again it took years before FCP established a significant foothold. It had just about gained credibility by the time it was EOL'd. That probably says something about how conservative post houses are in London, it certainly says something about what people think about X.

Liam Hall
Director/DoP/Editor
http://www.liamhall.net

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on May 30, 2012 at 8:15:05 pm

[Liam Hall] "FCPX has had ZERO impact in London, but then again it took years before FCP established a significant foothold. It had just about gained credibility by the time it was EOL'd. That probably says something about how conservative post houses are in London, it certainly says something about what people think about X.
"

I wonder if PPro 6 will fare any better

Steve Connor
"The ripple command is just a workaround for not having a magnetic timelinel"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Liam Hall
on May 30, 2012 at 8:24:28 pm

[Steve Connor] "I wonder if PPro 6 will fare any better"

Good question. Given Adobe already has a huge professional client base through After Effects, I think Premiere CS6 will gain some traction in the freelance and small shop area, but will have ZERO impact on the larger post-houses where Avid rules. That is, as long as Avid don't go bust...

Liam Hall
Director/DoP/Editor
http://www.liamhall.net

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on May 30, 2012 at 8:48:49 pm

[Liam Hall] "That is, as long as Avid don't go bust...
"

Or gets bought by Apple!

Steve Connor
"The ripple command is just a workaround for not having a magnetic timelinel"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]