FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX 10.04 stable for you?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Connor
FCPX 10.04 stable for you?
on May 29, 2012 at 11:15:46 pm

It's working well for me, how is it for others?

Steve Connor
"The ripple command is just a workaround for not having a magnetic timelinel"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Greg Andonian
Re: FCPX 10.04 stable for you?
on May 29, 2012 at 11:23:19 pm

Unless they fixed that mess of a timeline, I don't care how stable it is...

:P

Return to posts index

Greg Jones
on May 30, 2012 at 12:24:07 am

I gave up on trying to edit. On both my systems all my media plays very choppy and stutters. Video output through my Aja is very buggy still. This is on top of my distaste for a lot of the other issues I was having with FCPX. I've moved on to Premiere CS6 and Avid MC6 for now until Apple can come out with a stable release and by then it may be too late.

Greg Jones
D7,Inc.

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on May 30, 2012 at 12:24:57 am

Completely stable so far but I haven't done any really big, complex projects with it yet.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Irvine, California

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on May 30, 2012 at 12:44:23 am

Compound clip related project bloat unchanged from last year's release. Still runs sluggish on my old laptop which works fine with legacy and can cut 4K in Premiere Pro 6.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 30, 2012 at 1:04:51 am

Extremely stable, fast, and smooth on the i7 iMac with black magic intensity extreme. No crashes. No beach balls.

While at the same time FCP 7 crashes with a screenshot png every time. Ditto with CS6 on BMD drivers.

I've only done a couple 5D multicam projects and it was amazing. From sync to playback to color correction to audio mix. No transcoding necessary.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on May 30, 2012 at 1:15:46 am

Very stable for me on multiple systems. Some issues though.

1. Persistent loss of links to rendered files. This may be related to using blank titles as adjustment layers as it happens more often with those projects.
2. Today I had a case where I had applied a vignette yesterday and today the filter was there, but no visible effect and no slider controls within the filter itself. This was also in an adjustment layer.
3. Performance with any complex filter using an external GUI (MB Looks, DFT Film Stocks, Tiffen Dfx, Sapphire Edge) is TERRIBLE. Also very long render times.
4. On a volume-based SAN system, Add SAN Location doesn't work.
5. On a volume-based SAN system, occasional beach-balling (around 1 sec.) when Event info is being updated.

Performance with BMD Decklink card is quite good on latest drivers. Same system also OK with CS6 and FCP 7.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 30, 2012 at 2:54:42 am

Still learning X, but I hadn't heard of using a blank title as an adjustment layer. So maybe that's the issue. Do you do background rendering or transcoding or any of that? Proxy's? All I've done is straight native h264 and never had any media management problems, corruption, or hard drives getting filled up. But I only render manually just like FCP 7. It would seem that background rendering would definitely fill up hard drives since it isn't managed like 7.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on May 30, 2012 at 12:22:03 pm

"Still learning X, but I hadn't heard of using a blank title as an adjustment layer"

This is a Motion template someone posted. Simon, maybe? You apply it on top and can add filters, which affect everything below it.

"Do you do background rendering or transcoding or any of that? Proxy's? "

I turn off background rendering. It's a dog except for conversions on import. Never use H264. Haven't used proxies yet. In this case the media is ProResLT 1080p/23.98.

For complex filters, like MB Looks, I decided to do a mixdown of my project and then apply the filter to the complete self-contained file on a new timeline. Both a render or a new export (faster) took about 20-30 minutes for a 1 min. project. If you only use native filters or some of the faster ones like Tonalizer, this render/export only takes a few minutes. Perormance on the same machine, same media, same filters with something like MB Looks on a PProCS6 timeline is night and day better with Premiere.

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

John Godwin
on May 30, 2012 at 1:22:32 am

Fast and stable on I7 iMac, close to the same on my Mac Pro tower (circa 2010, the one that has never ever been stable with FCP7) and slow and choppy on my 2008 17" MBP. Obviously the more current the hardware the better.

And if Apple takes my magnetic timeline away I'll have no choice but to go back in time and use something else.

Seriously, the biggest shock I got moving from Liquid to FCP was that the timeline was split into audio and video. Top and bottom. In Liquid any track could be any thing. And I wondered how a good GUI could be anything else.

I suspect this is partially why I like FCPX. More flexibility.

Best,
John

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 30, 2012 at 2:51:50 am

It actually runs great on my 2007 MacPro 1,1 as well. Had to upgrade the card to Radeon 5770, but with the GRaid on eSata and 16gigs, it's acceptable. Not as much RT or as smooth of Multicam, but compared to FCP 7's h264 capabilities (nada) it's fine. And it could always be converted to ProRes, but I've not bothered.

My matrox is on the older machine, and it can't play audio out worth a darn for some reason. It's just all static. Filled with audio pops all the time. But I can run the audio out the mac instead and it works fine.

I'm looking at PPro CS6, but it seems pretty unstable. I think I'll be running 2-3 NLEs here for awhile.

Return to posts index

Helmut Kobler
on May 30, 2012 at 1:16:51 am

It's stable, in that it doesn't crash, hardly ever.

However, I regularly encounter a bug where the skimmer functionality stops working on the timeline. I can get the skimmer working again if I hit the Project Library button on the timeline to bring up the project library, and then hit the button again to make it disappear. It takes about 2 secs but is annoying nonetheless.

I also notice how video skips during timeline playback on an 8 core 2.93GHz 2009 Mac Pro with 32GB and an 8 drive miniSAS raid. It skips if I have the Waveform monitor on, and/or it skips if I have playback settings set to High Quality instead of Better Performance. You'd think on a system like this FCPX could playback ProRes 422 video reliably. So that's annoying, but if I set Playback Settings to Better Performance, then playback is smooth. Of course, the video doesn't look beautiful anymore.

-------------------
Los Angeles Cameraman
Canon C300 (x2), Zeiss CP.2 lenses, P2 Varicam, etc.
http://www.lacameraman.com

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on May 30, 2012 at 8:33:25 am

[Helmut Kobler] "However, I regularly encounter a bug where the skimmer functionality stops working on the timeline. I can get the skimmer working again if I hit the Project Library button on the timeline to bring up the project library, and then hit the button again to make it disappear. It takes about 2 secs but is annoying nonetheless.
"

I used to get this a lot, but it seems to be much less frequent in 10.04

Steve Connor
"The ripple command is just a workaround for not having a magnetic timelinel"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

ted irving
on Jun 6, 2012 at 6:58:34 pm

Great! No issues. I recommend that many who bought it, hated it, and have ignored it, go back to auto update, download 10.04, install it and roll. I've edited about 5 commercials and four 30 min TV show, no issues. I still think apple misled folks in terms of RAM though. Those with sluggish playback and spinning balls should know that you need a minimum of 16gb of RAM. Max out that RAM!! on your system for FCPX. I"m running fCPX on a Mid-2012 tower 2.8ghz running 18gb of RAM. Having fun.

Ted Irving
Freelance Content Creation
CBS MaxPreps/BBN3
http://www.tedtv.tv
tedirving@yahoo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]