FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to integrate the FCPX Auto-Matching function into traditional workflow - Workaround

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Clayton Burkhart
How to integrate the FCPX Auto-Matching function into traditional workflow - Workaround
on Jun 22, 2011 at 10:54:42 am

Putting aside all the arguments against FCPX for the time being, the Auto-Matching function does look valuable.

After paying close attention to the feedback on this particular function, it appears to be a strong addition for accelerating workflow.

What interests me is creating a workaround that would enable me to spring back into my traditional Apple Color/FCP with the corrected files.

Can I assume that I could simply output these generically corrected Prores 422 files from FCPX and integrate them back into my traditional FCP timeline? Would anything about the new architecture prohibit me from doing this? Gamma shifts, metatags, etc.?

Feedback from new FCPX owners in particular would be appreciated as opposed to just responses "in theory".

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: How to integrate the FCPX Auto-Matching function into traditional workflow - Workaround
on Jun 22, 2011 at 12:47:38 pm

You would have to export self contained QT movies from FCPX, import to fcp7, reedit, send to Color.

Return to posts index

Clayton Burkhart
Re: How to integrate the FCPX Auto-Matching function into traditional workflow - Workaround
on Jun 22, 2011 at 1:00:54 pm

Ok, so it's classical.

The only thing that would be a real pain is to do the reference shots in traditional FCP/Color workflow and export them as self contained 422's to be used in the FCPX app, and then re-export everything back out once again self contained.

Obviously, this is only convenient with complex grades or where this is a ton of matching shots which need to be graded.

We will see on my next big project.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 22, 2011 at 1:09:33 pm

At this point, it's just not practical.

Return to posts index

Hector berrebi
on Jun 22, 2011 at 1:15:16 pm

[Clayton Burkhart] "Obviously, this is only convenient with complex grades or where this is a ton of matching shots which need to be graded."

:) i wonder what project would be that hard to match traditionally that you would need this sort of workaround for it...

i agree with Jeremy

not that practical yet.

Hector Berrebi
prePost Consulting

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jun 22, 2011 at 1:35:12 pm

[Clayton Burkhart] "Obviously, this is only convenient with complex grades or where this is a ton of matching shots which need to be graded."

What about using FCPX as the File importer? Especially from DSLR or other media, often times it needs the most work color matching, then you could output color corrected ProRes for editing in FCP7.

Color matching is then part of the data management and file conversion step.
this works for smaller shoots or projects

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jun 22, 2011 at 2:07:26 pm

[gary adcock] "What about using FCPX as the File importer? Especially from DSLR or other media, often times it needs the most work color matching, then you could output color corrected ProRes for editing in FCP7."

As with Final Cut 7, there is at present no particularly sensible way to automate exporting a bunch of clips in the timeline as separate media files.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Clayton Burkhart
on Jun 22, 2011 at 2:11:57 pm

[Chris Kenny] "
As with Final Cut 7, there is at present no particularly sensible way to automate exporting a bunch of clips in the timeline as separate media files."

Bummer.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jun 22, 2011 at 4:29:37 pm

[Chris Kenny] "As with Final Cut 7, there is at present no particularly sensible way to automate exporting a bunch of clips in the timeline as separate media files.
"

stop looking for FCP7 style fixes, processing if far more powerful here

Working on something else today. I get back later.

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Clayton Burkhart
on Jun 22, 2011 at 2:10:44 pm

[gary adcock] "
What about using FCPX as the File importer? Especially from DSLR or other media, often times it needs the most work color matching, then you could output color corrected ProRes for editing in FCP7.

Color matching is then part of the data management and file conversion step.
this works for smaller shoots or projects"

Actually that makes a heck of lot of sense. I would then follow it up into traditional Color with my control surface for serious grading/tweaking.

This for me would be the only practical reason for purchase at this point, but a very practical reason nonetheless.

It is true that I much prefer the 5DtoRGB conversion to Prores 422 because it was of the only apps which does not use a quicktime engine for conversion. I find far less stepping and a little more dynamic range with it. But I could live with this idea.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]