FORUMS: list search recent posts

Things I like about FCP X

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Murray
Things I like about FCP X
on Jun 22, 2011 at 10:36:27 am

I'm starting this thread for anyone who wants to contribute something positive and useful regarding the new app. I'm not sure yet whether I will move forward with FCP or transition to something else. I am not yet a fan. I just want to keep an open mind and look for the good, since the bad is obvious and well documented. Please join in if you have something to contribute. Please do NOT post rants in this thread, we have plenty of threads for that.

>>>The interface seems to be very efficient. Content jumps to the foreground and interface takes a visual back seat until you need a tool and select it.

>>>It seems to be a really great tool for editing. I need to figure out the "magnetic" approach but I'm working my way through the list of keyboard shortcuts and making a cheat sheet of my favorites. The tools I need are there, and so far I think it works better as an editor than FCP 7.

>>>Skimming is a major timesaver over FCS 7. No need to load into viewer, it just happens.

I'll post more as I learn more.

Joe Murray
Edit at Joe's
Charlotte, NC

Return to posts index

Joe Murray
Re: Things I like about FCP X
on Jun 22, 2011 at 11:38:29 am

>>>Trimming is a big improvement over FCS7. Hit the T key, hover over various areas up to or over a cut, hit the option key and all the tools are right there.

Joe Murray
Edit at Joe's
Charlotte, NC

Return to posts index

Joe Murray
on Jun 22, 2011 at 1:52:47 pm

I like that when I start skimming clips or transcoding media on my Macbook Pro (most recent 17" model), within about 15 seconds the fans kick into high gear to cool the processors and/or graphics card. FCP 7 never did that to the same extent.

So it's really using the horsepower and I look forward to running some workstation tests.

Joe Murray
Edit at Joe's
Charlotte, NC

Return to posts index

Devin Crane
on Jun 22, 2011 at 1:57:03 pm

2 things:
1. Great scaling from SD to HD, took an anamorphic SD clip and uprezed it to 720 60p and looks awesome.
2. The scopes, Tektronics and Leader need to implement what FCPX has done to the waveform monitor in FCPX.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jun 22, 2011 at 2:10:28 pm

Optical flow retiming! At last!

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Graham Stewart
on Jun 23, 2011 at 10:44:37 am

Devlin, how are you getting anamorphic SD to work in FCPX? Are you simply taking in a squashed 4:3 video and scaling it? I ask because I have DV-PAL files which have a 16:9 flag embedded in them somewhere, and even though they display 16:9 in FCPX's viewer the image quality is appalling. It's as if FCPX isn't able to correctly render it (whereas it does so fine in FCP7 etc).

Return to posts index

Devin Crane
on Jun 23, 2011 at 1:49:33 pm

[Graham Stewart] "Devlin, how are you getting anamorphic SD to work in FCPX? Are you simply taking in a squashed 4:3 video and scaling it? I ask because I have DV-PAL files which have a 16:9 flag embedded in them somewhere, and even though they display 16:9 in FCPX's viewer the image quality is appalling. It's as if FCPX isn't able to correctly render it (whereas it does so fine in FCP7 etc)."

You might need to go into your Preferences and switch your setting to Better Qualilty. Also if you go into your viewer at the top right corner under where you turn the scopes on select "Both Fields". That makes the biggest difference.

Return to posts index

Graham Stewart
on Jun 23, 2011 at 5:10:01 pm

Thanks so much Devin, doing both those things appears to have sorted my problems! Now I can hopefully use FCP X! :-)

Return to posts index

Marc Brewer
on Jun 22, 2011 at 2:06:46 pm

this may seem like a small thing to most but it's a TOTAL PIA to me.
Please tell me they finally fixed the way the audio waveform works in the timeline.

It is SOOOO slow to render and then everytime you expand,contract or move the timeline it has to re-render. COMPLETELY slows down an edit to the point I don't even want to use it...but sometimes you really need it....

UGH!

Marc Brewer
MarcusVision Media

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jun 22, 2011 at 2:40:49 pm

Here's something I liked a lot ...

Shift/Cmd/2 brings up the Timeline Index which is an idea unlike anything you've seen before, namely a kind of running EDL of all the events in your timeline with an actively updating scrollbar that shows exactly where you are. Unusual and intriguing and potentially very valuable for long projects.

And there's a search function in this tab too which means you can for instance search for all clips from a particular source just by typing a search string and you can then select them all from the same tab - to apply a similar filter or whatever. Very powerful. I suppose you can do this already with the find functions in FCP7 but this is so much more elegant.

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jun 23, 2011 at 5:13:43 pm

Subframe audio editing - I knew it was there but it's great to see it in action, especially with the subframe display in the Dashboard. Very nice.

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]