FORUMS: list search recent posts

Premiere and After Effects 6.01 updates released

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Cherniack
Premiere and After Effects 6.01 updates released
on May 25, 2012 at 11:36:02 am

They're bug fixes, installed though Adobe Updater.

David
AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
Re: Premiere and After Effects 6.01 updates released
on May 25, 2012 at 11:37:04 am

....with performance improvements and some new features. Details here: http://adobe.ly/lsrkmJ

David
AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index

Bernard Newnham
on May 25, 2012 at 2:57:42 pm

I just finished ordering the education edition of the Production Premium Creative Suite. You get an awful lot for £333 - always provided my university ID card and timesheet meets their standards

B

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on May 25, 2012 at 3:45:26 pm

For Premiere Pro users, this is noteworthy:
Improved performance using OpenCL, especially when used on Mac OSX v10.7.4 or later

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

Nevin Styre
on May 25, 2012 at 4:44:25 pm

How many months did it take for FCPX to get its first update?

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on May 25, 2012 at 7:08:15 pm

Adobe really dropped the ball here. They should have been as forward thinking as Apple was in releasing their apps on the App Store, so that they could follow a quick patching schedule like FCPX. And what's up with the file size here? I can't believe I can just update the components themselves instead of having to re-download the entire program all over again. That's just poor implementation in my opinion.

:-]

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on May 25, 2012 at 7:53:52 pm

[Gary Huff] "Adobe really dropped the ball here. They should have been as forward thinking as Apple was in releasing their apps on the App Store, so that they could follow a quick patching schedule like FCPX."

Yeah, Apple tried to float release schedule improvements as the big advantage of the App Store. Of course that is baloney since we've had downloadable patches for years. What isn't baloney is what they get out of the App Store EULA, and that is being allowed to incrementally add major features without having to release a major version update. That point was extracted during one of the NAB private briefings (I forget who coaxed that out of them, Oliver maybe?). There are Sarbanes-Oxley rules about how public companies are allowed to account for and deliver significant feature updates to existing products (as I understand it), and by starting over with FCPX on the App Store, Apple gets a clean slate without the baggage of prior EULAs for their traditional-channel software. Maybe they could write a new EULA for a new box version, I'm not an expert on this stuff, but I recall reading that licensing flexibility was a big factor in their exclusive App Store distribution strategy.

If Adobe starts adding in major features in minor updates to CS6, then sod it, the whole App Store advantage trope is bollocks.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on May 25, 2012 at 8:26:33 pm

Thanks for the update on updates - downloaded the CS6 suite and my reaction - Sweet.

Get the Boris CC and Coremelt Plugins and you'll feel as though you're using a very responsive FCP 8 with its endless effects options. Open the FCP7 keyboard shortcuts and you feel like you're in an old familiar home. -

Integration between PPPro and After Effects is terrific - just like the Motion to Final Cut Pro 7 integration worked way back when - you make a change over there - it shows up here - as with Photoshop and Audition files (Apple -why did you remove that functionality in the new version..or am I missing something?)

I'm aware of the media management shortcomings and long output render times --

but overall the zippiness and "it edits the way we've invested our professional livelihoods learning" makes this a terrific choice.

Before the FCPX cheer-leading squad moves in for the kill - I like a lot about that program too - just can't get my head around the "think different" (read Apple's way or the highway) philosophy on trackless - put all the media where we tell you - no audio mixer automation odd conventions that seem like different for the sake of being different.

And roles? Do editors really have to twist themselves into a pretzel to do what they've been able to do with standard tracks for more than a decade? And was there a professional editor out there that couldn't handle track collisions?

I'm still using 7 but now see PP6 as a viable option. Using AVID as well but only because some clients demand it. For speed and flexible fx options - this feels like a winner

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions
N. Bethesda, Maryland 20852

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on May 26, 2012 at 6:05:33 am

[Andy Field] "Thanks for the update on updates - downloaded the CS6 suite and my reaction - Sweet.
"

I'm having a similar reaction. A few things I'm not as keen about, and some things I'm loving. I decided to dive in and cut a spot with it since I have a little extra time on this particular project. And, since I can bounce it back to 7 if I need to. But, I'm very impressed with what Adobe has done. I'm taking it along with me to the mountains this weekend to play. It works really well on a laptop. And for me--the most wonderful thing, which I thought I was losing with 7--multiple, open, dock-able timelines! Timelines as bins! Wonderful.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on May 26, 2012 at 10:49:36 am

[Andy Field] "Before the FCPX cheer-leading squad moves in for the kill"

Has the FCPX "cheer-leading squad" been "moving in for the kill" on any PPro threads on here? Not sure they have, most of us who use and like FCPX also realise how good PPro 6 is, so I don't think you're in any danger :)

Steve Connor
"Sometimes it's fun to poke an angry bear with a stickl"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on May 26, 2012 at 2:46:19 pm

[Andy Field] "Integration between PPPro and After Effects is terrific - just like the Motion to Final Cut Pro 7 integration worked way back when"

Hey Andy - nice to see you on the forum here.

For clarification's sake, Apple's integration was in response to ours which started in CS2 (2005) and was expanded upon in subsequent versions.

Dennis - Adobe guy

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on May 27, 2012 at 1:29:24 pm

Hi Dennis,

Yes - have been using that dynamic linking for years between Photoshop and After Effects -- mentioned it for the FCP7-only crowd that might not realize this advantage.

By the way -- Dennis and his support team are an invaluable "feature" of the entire Adobe Creative Suite.

Unlike Apple's virtual non support/response for anything FCP 7 - Dennis and others at Adobe not only return emails and calls -- they're actually on these forums answering questions and listening to feature requests.

This simply didn't exist with FCP7 (unless you were Walter Murch) -- and Apple's silence on FCPX (until the critical firestorm seemed to have changed things) was enough to make a 10 year FCP veteran look for a new editing partner.

If you're a FCP7 editor, PP CS6 will feel familiar...and adds features that make editing a breeze.

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on May 25, 2012 at 9:19:31 pm

[Andrew Richards] "If Adobe starts adding in major features in minor updates to CS6, then sod it, the whole App Store advantage trope is bollocks."

But Andrew, the whole point of the Creative Cloud is to download new features with updates. Of course, Adobe continues to offer the normal methods of delivery with just bug updates...like all the other companies out there... :)

David
AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index

Greg Andonian
on May 26, 2012 at 4:24:24 am

Andrew Richards If Adobe starts adding in major features in minor updates to CS6, then sod it, the whole App Store advantage trope is bollocks.

There have actually been quite a few noteworthy updates to Premiere Pro over the years. HDV, DVCproHD, XDCAM, and AVC-Intra all became usable in Premiere Pro thanks to point updates. It was also a point update that brought OMF export and FCP 7 import. "Smart rendering" didn't exist before this latest update. Neither did the ability to turn off the generation of PEK files...

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on May 26, 2012 at 2:42:22 pm

[Andrew Richards] "There are Sarbanes-Oxley rules about how public companies are allowed to account for and deliver significant feature updates to existing products"

This is true and is one advantage of a Creative Cloud subscription, it allows Adobe to legally provide new features since you're paying month by month. Sarbanes does not prevent certain improvements like improved performance (OpenCL, CUDA) and format support (RED, etc.)

Return to posts index

andy lewis
on May 27, 2012 at 4:30:22 pm

"Integration between PPPro and After Effects is terrific - just like the Motion to Final Cut Pro 7 integration worked way back when - you make a change over there - it shows up here"

Is this an accurate description of dynamic link? I'm not sure why but I always found FCP7's integration with Motion to be slightly unnerving and... unsatisfying. Perhaps that's just my own psychological problem, or maybe I had (now forgotten) problems in the past. On recent projects I've rendered stuff out of Motion and imported it.

Given that people have been raving about dynamic link, I assumed it was a different (and better) beast. Is it?

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on May 27, 2012 at 4:55:24 pm

Never had problems with the linking with Motion and FCP - but this works as seemlessly as when you used Photoshop as your external editor in FCP7...went in and changed the photo in Photoshop and it updated in FCP7 -- yes it works great haven't had a single linking problem

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]