FORUMS: list search recent posts

Apple Shows up. Apple Exhibits

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Seeman
Apple Shows up. Apple Exhibits
on May 25, 2012 at 2:35:59 am

Blackmagic-Design had a mini Tradeshow of sorts in NYC today. Obviously every variety of Blackmagic devices was there. There was a presentation room as well. There were a few other exhibitors. Magma was there talking about their Magma 3 PCIe Thunderbolt expansion box. Adobe was there showing Creative Suite. Avid was there as well.

And Apple was there. They did an FCPX presentation (of course) and they had a table just like Adobe and Avid. They had an iMac running FCPX complete with an Apple employee showing features and answering questions.

Return to posts index

Michael Garber
Re: Apple Shows up. Apple Exhibits
on May 25, 2012 at 2:43:39 am

That's nice to hear. I remember when they used to demo all around town. I went to the show in LA last week and they weren't there, to my knowledge. I saw the Magma box. Curious to see it in action.

Michael Garber
5th Wall - a post production company

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 25, 2012 at 5:56:14 am

Interesting that Apple was here and presenting and with table.
I had a very long talk with the person from Magma.

They've really only been testing on a MacBookAir and MacMini. They've been Bootcamped for Windows testing as well.

The box is two 8x slots and one 4x slot. They said though that if you have an 8x card in one slot and a 4x card in the 4x, the other 8x slot is reduced to 4x. So it's either 8x and 8x or 8x, 4x, 4x. I was asking because I was wondering if you could push things by using two Decklink Quad cards for 8 HD-SDI in. I don't think I would do this to a MBA though. I think there's a law against computer abuse that prevents that.

Related to that I was wondering if you could use two chassis on a two Thunderbolt port iMac (one per port). They hadn't tried that but they think that would work. That would certainly be an interesting amount of expansion.

They also said Magma chassis should be first in the chain and that will really make a difference in performance. First device in chain gets to use the resources it needs before going down the rest of the chain.

I looked at the chassis and commented on the build for field work and they admitted it's not designed to be rugged.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on May 25, 2012 at 4:39:18 am

[Craig Seeman] "And Apple was there. "

I went to the Blackmagic reception last week in Burbank. It was just as you described it, but as far as I could tell, there was no one from Apple. I guess I could have missed them, though.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 25, 2012 at 5:40:54 am

In NYC their table was right next to Avid and then Adobe. Three in a row.
Apple themselves did the FCPX presentation in the theater.
I'm wondering if Apple just started another change in course.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on May 25, 2012 at 6:19:53 am

[Craig Seeman] "In NYC their table was right next to Avid and then Adobe. Three in a row.
Apple themselves did the FCPX presentation in the theater.
I'm wondering if Apple just started another change in course.
"

Ah. There was no X presentation out here. At least, I don't think there was. Here, it was Resolve, Avid, and Premiere.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 25, 2012 at 6:41:11 am

FCPX presentation was 2nd to last from 4:15 to 5:15. Resolve was 5:15 to 6:15. Show ended at 7.
I think Premiere and Avid were sequentially before it (3 NLEs in a row).

Given how the few X presentations I've seen where by non Apple employees, I thought it was interesting that this was Apple taking this on directly.

I wonder if someone(s) Apple figured out that NOT being at places where Avid and Adobe are is sending a very bad message . . . if they are trying to get across that they care about Pros.

Return to posts index

Frank Gothmann
on May 25, 2012 at 8:40:10 am

When X launched they had several road show presentations, so nothing special, at least here in Europe.
Remember, this was right after the launch so the guys holding the presentation were right in the firing line and it didn't seem they had been prepped on how to handle certain questions. I assume things went a lot smoother at your event.

------
"You also agree that you will not use these products for... the development, design, manufacture or production of nuclear, missiles, or chemical or biological weapons."
iTunes End User Licence Agreement

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 25, 2012 at 1:52:21 pm

[Frank Gothmann] "When X launched they had several road show presentations, so nothing special, at least here in Europe. "

The presentations I know of in my parts weren't done by Apple employees. So you were seeing an Apple staffed road show? Interesting. Different marketing approach in Europe than USA?

The event used the entire time allotted as it was only an hour. He asked for people to come up to him or meet him at the Apple table for questions.

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on May 25, 2012 at 4:15:59 pm

[Craig Seeman] "I wonder if someone(s) Apple figured out that NOT being at places where Avid and Adobe are is sending a very bad message . . . if they are trying to get across that they care about Pros."

Maybe they've figured out that they can't just "phone it in". That would be a huge change and a positive step forward.

Let's face it, right now I know more about Jonathan Ive being knighted (video) and Cook refusing the dividend on restricted stock than I do about what they have in mind for the Mac Pro or FCPX...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 25, 2012 at 4:17:15 pm

[Mitch Ives] "Maybe they've figured out that they can't just "phone it in"."

Rimshot.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 25, 2012 at 4:28:56 pm

[Mitch Ives] "Maybe they've figured out that they can't just "phone it in". That would be a huge change and a positive step forward. "

I certainly was shocked to see Apple there. I wouldn't have been as surprised if it was Evan Schechtman, who is local. To see that Apple had an employee, a presentation in the theater and a table right next to Avid and Adobe, really struck me.

I think that it's big news, hence the post. That others are confirming this was not the case very recently, really does make this interesting. I can't believe this was a one time "aberration."

I'll admit that I only saw the last half of the presentation. My personal sentiment is that Apple would have less revealing commentary than from someone like Evan who has a facility's business at stake. There was nothing I didn't already know in that last half and not much commentary "outside" of something that was probably tightly scripted.

Of course they showed it sending to Resolve. They also showed it working with CatDV. I spotted a very slight (1 frame?) lag comparing the projected app and the projected output. I'm not sure of the exact signal path other than I'd guess it was going through a Blackmagic Thunderbolt device.

When he talked about further features it was nothing more than was posted in the Larry Jordan blog. I though the way he worded Dual Viewers was funny (to me at least). It was something like "for those who want a viewer on the left." Funny? because he didn't refer to it as Source or anything specific to playing back only Event files. I don't want to read too much into it. It may that the dual viewer content has greater functionality that source/record or Event/Timeline. Also thinking about the language, that they are calling it Dual Viewer rather than two viewers might mean it's two tied windows vs two independent players. Again I have no real basis for this speculation other than naming language and the words he used to describe it. I think Apple is VERY CAREFUL about the language they use.

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on May 25, 2012 at 4:44:22 pm

[Craig Seeman] "To see that Apple had an employee, a presentation in the theater and a table right next to Avid and Adobe, really struck me."

I choose to see this as a hugely positive thing... let's hope it's a trend...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]