FORUMS: list search recent posts

NLE Crossroads forum

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Andonian
NLE Crossroads forum
on May 22, 2012 at 1:50:17 am

The idea of changing the name of this forum has come up many times, and it's always been rejected on the grounds that it was created for the purpose of debating whether or not FCPX deserves a place in the pro-NLE world, and it's still fulfilling that original purpose.

But a post in the "subject of this forum" thread, got me thinking about things a little differently.

It was suggested in there, jokingly, that the name of this forum should be changed to "FCP 7 is dead- Now What?"

Meaning, instead of asking whether FCPX specifically is a viable solution, the focus should be shifted to the broader question of where to go next now that the dominant platform of the past decade has been EOL'd.

I think this is a good idea, and since this forum is still serving its purpose well, I started thinking maybe a new forum should be created, separate from this one, to look at the bigger picture of the new landscape. One that isn't dedicated to any one specific NLE, and instead allows people to discuss the strengths and weaknesses of all of them. I think this could be very helpful for a couple reasons:

1. For many people, there is no debate as far as FCPX. They either can't use it in their workflow, or don't want to go through the hassle of re-learning everything they every knew about how an NLE works. But they're not sure where to go next. If they come here looking for advice, they might regret it. ;)

2. it could also be helpful for people who adopt the "Fill the toolbox" point of view. Having one forum where all NLEs could be discussed could lead to good discussions about how to go about using combinations of several of them. There isn't a good place for this sort of thing now- if you go to the Premiere forum and ask for advice on using FCPX in your workflow, you'll likely get something along the lines of, "You do know this is the PREMIERE forum, right??"

Return to posts index

Robert Brown
Re: NLE Crossroads forum
on May 22, 2012 at 6:04:54 am

I'd agree with that. I'd hate to see this turn into the FCPX vs PPRO 6 forum which it has been lately to some degree. It does seem like FCP 7 is dead so "now what" is the central question. Also most of the options are very affordable so there is no real need to try to find THE one solution. Some will excel where others will fail. No bigey.

Robert Brown
Editor/VFX/Colorist - FCP, Smoke, Quantel Pablo, After Effects, 3DS MAX, Premiere Pro

http://vimeo.com/user3987510/videos

Return to posts index

Jules bowman
on May 22, 2012 at 7:57:15 am

Not wishing to be contrary but I don't really see what the issue is with the forum name. To a new person it is a debate forum, from the title, that was sparked by a pivotal moment in NLE history. We can't change the catalyst for the creation of the thread nor can we delete all the previous threads about it.

And I don't believe the debate is over. I am a huge disliker of FC10 at the moment and what Apple did to me. I think the trackless format is folly and I find the renaming conventions irritating. I am not convinced I will eventually end up using FC10 but at the same time I am never saying never, that would be stupid. I read and follow this forum because it is informative both in terms of FC10 and NLEs in general, as well as being witty and entertaining too. And for me the debate isn't over yet because despite how good PP is at the moment, it is not FCP8 just as FC10 isn't, so for me I still haven't found a replacement for the enforced move I am going to have to make.

The debate is not finished.

I wonder if these desires to change the title come from FC10 fans or others. My money would say the former.

Plus, why confuse a user base who may occasionally stop by here but not be regulars, by changing the forum name and they not knowing where it is?

Now, Tony, behave this time :)

Return to posts index

tony west
on May 22, 2012 at 1:22:00 pm

[Jules bowman] "Now, Tony, behave this time :)"

ok, ok : )

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on May 22, 2012 at 5:13:04 pm

I like the current name - and the debate will rage on as folks find out maybe they don't like another NLE as much as they thought they would. Apple has done some pretty good updates to X, the next one should be big and let us all know just how serious they are in making FCPX a viable choice for pro Editors.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Irvine, California

Return to posts index

Chris Jacek
on May 25, 2012 at 12:28:10 am

I like the idea of a new "Crossroads" forum in addition to this forum. If you build it, I will post.

Professor, Producer, Editor
and former Apple Employee

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]