FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using adjustment layers to add spice to Premiere's bland transitions

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Andonian
Using adjustment layers to add spice to Premiere's bland transitions
on May 17, 2012 at 8:57:32 am

(I posted this in the Premiere Pro forum, and was curious to see what people over here thought of the idea)

One of the big criticisms of Premiere Pro from the FCP switchers has been the lack of good transitions. This is a criticism I wholeheartedly agree with- but with CS6 I've found a remedy, which I think will be good to give transitions pizazz and originality even after the built-in variety gets improved.

What I did is start with a 6-frame cross dissolve, then put a 12-frame adjustment layer directly over it. I then added a gaussian blur to the adjustment layer, and keyframed it to start at 0 then go to 200 right over the cut, then back to 0 at the end. The end result was a "blur dissolve".

I then played around with it a bit, and had it also became high in contrast in the middle, and tried a couple other effects, and really liked the results I got.

The effects that are applied to the adjustment layer can be saved as presets, and you can also set the duration of an adjustment layer in the project panel by right-clicking on it, so you could create one just for putting over transitions, then apply a preset to it.

There are a few more steps involved in this, but I thought it opened up a lot of possibilities. Having the entire arsenal of PPro's effects available to liven up transitons is pretty cool.

(Now, if only you could use adjustment layers to change the SCALE of clips below them- then you could re-create that cool "cross zoom" transition from FCP...)

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Using adjustment layers to add spice to Premiere's bland transitions
on May 17, 2012 at 2:51:42 pm

You like the cross zoom transition?

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on May 17, 2012 at 8:17:53 pm

[Bret Williams] "You like the cross zoom transition?
"

I do. It can be really useful.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 17, 2012 at 8:44:14 pm

Star wipe!

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on May 17, 2012 at 8:45:22 pm

Page turn with light source for me, it was the Holy Grail of transitions in my Online editing days

Steve Connor
"Sometimes it's fun to poke an angry bear with a stickl"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on May 17, 2012 at 8:53:40 pm

[Steve Connor] "Page turn with light source for me, it was the Holy Grail of transitions in my Online editing days"

Hey, if you've got to be quick, down and dirty with L3s, that page turn is a god-send.

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on May 18, 2012 at 2:51:29 am

There's only one Holy Grail wipe... and that's the Kiki wipe! Toaster rules!

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Irvine, California

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on May 17, 2012 at 9:29:53 pm

[Bret Williams] "Star wipe!"

I must confess that in all these years I have not as yet found a use for the star wipe.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on May 17, 2012 at 9:38:37 pm

Jeeze guys,

Everyone knows that from the moment that the Video Toaster debuted the "Falling Sheep" wipe - the entire "best video effect ever" contest was called off on account of that bit of insane brilliance that will never, ever be equalled.

That you're even bringing up a "tacky effect" discussion in light of this immutable history is nuts.

; )

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 18, 2012 at 12:58:08 am

[Bill Davis] "Everyone knows that from the moment that the Video Toaster debuted the "Falling Sheep" wipe - the entire "best video effect ever" "

I'd have to disagree with you. It was the Toaster's Kiki wipe that was best. I think Kevin Monahan posted it elsewhere in the thread.

Sooner or later some company is going to make it for FCPX and it'll corner the nostalgia market.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on May 18, 2012 at 2:38:00 am

[Craig Seeman] "I'd have to disagree with you. It was the Toaster's Kiki wipe that was best. I think Kevin Monahan posted it elsewhere in the thread.

Sooner or later some company is going to make it for FCPX and it'll corner the nostalgia market.
"

Disagree, Craig.

The Kiki wipe made feminists look at you like you were somehow being misogynistic.

But tumbling sheep?

Brilliantly weird while simultaneously totally non-offensive to anyone except a very small sliver of the general population who might be sheep fetishists. And nobody pays any serious attention to those folks outside the medical and rural agricultural communities.

; )

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 18, 2012 at 3:14:51 am

[Bill Davis] "Brilliantly weird while simultaneously totally non-offensive to anyone except a very small sliver of the general population who might be sheep fetishists."

I'm calling PETA right now. You know, the organization where sometimes scantly clad people protest against animal cruelty. I'm sure Kiki would be right up there dressed as she is protesting against the sheep wipe. ;-)

Return to posts index

Jules bowman
on May 17, 2012 at 7:15:09 pm

Core melt are in the process of transferring their plugins to PP. some teething issues at the moment, but I found myself using their transitions a lot in FCP so I'm looking forward to their appearance on PP.

For reference I bought polychrome v2

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on May 17, 2012 at 7:47:08 pm

I hear a CUT is a good transition. :)

Brian Mulligan
Senior Editor - Autodesk Smoke
WTHR-TV Indianapolis,IN, USA
Twitter: @bkmeditor

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on May 17, 2012 at 8:23:59 pm

[Brian Mulligan] "I hear a CUT is a good transition. :)"

I'm with you there. Trendy and increasingly overused glow/blur dissolves and film flashes are going to look just as dated in a few years as gratuitous lens flares and light rays do now. Maybe sooner.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on May 17, 2012 at 9:42:45 pm

[Alan Okey] "[Brian Mulligan] "I hear a CUT is a good transition. :)"

I'm with you there. Trendy and increasingly overused glow/blur dissolves and film flashes are going to look just as dated in a few years as gratuitous lens flares and light rays do now. Maybe sooner.
"

Well, hopefully we on this forum will all use our transitions with enough taste and discretion to be shinning examples of our particular period, and not samples of what was wrong with it.

Return to posts index

Mike Molenda
on May 17, 2012 at 9:17:08 pm

I hear you can do one of those with an adjustment layer. All you have to do is put a hold keyframe on the opacity so it goes from 100 to zero over the span of one frame.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on May 19, 2012 at 2:50:38 pm

[Brian Mulligan] "I hear a CUT is a good transition. :)"

Reminds me of the old film editors dictum "a dissolve is a cut looking for a place to happen."

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on May 17, 2012 at 8:20:25 pm

[Greg Andonian] "What I did is start with a 6-frame cross dissolve, then put a 12-frame adjustment layer directly over it. "

Clever you, man. Classic approach and a good idea. I'll play with that some.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on May 17, 2012 at 8:53:27 pm

You know...I think it's high time some of the fine Video Toaster transitions made a comeback - I've been yearning for that golf swing transition, and who can forget the night club stripper transition? Forget those arcane, outdated, so 2000-ish cuts and dissolves! I want my Toaster Transitions!

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on May 17, 2012 at 9:09:02 pm

You mean the "Kiki Wipe?" ;-)

Kevin Monahan
Sr. Content and Community Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on May 17, 2012 at 9:22:20 pm

Oh my aching head - that demo was just what I wanted to see! I could only get through a minute and a half of it before the music bed made me want to chew my foot off and escape, but yes, that Kiki transition is exactly what Premiere Pro CS6 is missing. I'm going right to the features request page and ask for it by name. Thanks!

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on May 17, 2012 at 9:26:54 pm

so its basically the same idea as using filler in avid to make transitions? the only stock transitions i ever used in FCP were the standard dissolve, dip to black, and the cross zoom.

who nneds all the others ?

Neil Goodman: Editor of New Media Production - NBC/Universal

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on May 17, 2012 at 9:50:26 pm

By the way, you fine folks do know about the Gradient Wipe effect? You can customize your own transitions. Here's the Adobe rundown on it:

Gradient Wipe effect

The Gradient Wipe effect causes pixels in the clip to become transparent based on the luminance values of corresponding pixels in another video track, called the gradient layer. Dark pixels in the gradient layer cause the corresponding pixels to become transparent at a lower Transition Completion value. For example, a simple grayscale gradient layer that goes from black on the left to white on the right causes the underlying clip to be revealed from left to right as Transition Completion increases.

For more information about using and creating a Gradient Wipe transition, see the following video by Dennis Radeke.

Original image (left), and with effect applied (center and right)The gradient layer can be a still image or a moving image. The gradient layer must be in the same sequence as the clip to which you apply Gradient Wipe.

You can create gradient layers in many ways, such as using the Ramp effect or creating them in Photoshop or Illustrator.

Transition SoftnessThe degree to which the transition is gradual for each pixel. If this value is 0%, pixels in the clip to which the effect is applied are either completely opaque or completely transparent. If this value is greater than 0%, pixels are semitransparent at the intermediate stages of the transition.

Gradient PlacementHow the gradient layer’s pixels are mapped to the pixels of the clip to which the effect is applied:
Tile GradientUses multiple tiled copies of the gradient layer.

Center GradientUses a single instance of the gradient layer in the center of the clip.

Stretch Gradient To FitResizes the gradient layer horizontally and vertically to fit the entire area of the clip.

Invert GradientInverts the gradient layer’s influence; lighter pixels in the gradient layer create transparency at a lower Transition Completion value than do darker pixels.

Customize a Gradient Wipe transition
You can use a grayscale image as a gradient wipe. In a gradient wipe, image B fills the black area of the grayscale image and then shows through each level of gray as the transition progresses until the white area becomes transparent.

Gradient wipe source image (far left) and resulting transition1.In the Effects panel, expand the Video Transitions bin and the Wipe bin inside it.
2.Drag the Gradient Wipe transition from the Wipe bin to an edit point between clips in a Timeline panel.
3.Click Select Image, and then double-click the file you want to use as the gradient wipe. The image appears in the Gradient Wipe Settings dialog box.
4.Adjust the softness of the transition’s edges by dragging the Softness slider. As you drag the slider to the right, image A increasingly shows through image B. Click OK.
Note: To change the gradient image or the softness, click Custom in the Effect Controls panel.
To preview the transition, drag the current-time indicator through the transition in a Timeline panel.

The link to the above is at:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premierepro/cs/using/WS1E7C690B-2342-43c3-9253-...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on May 17, 2012 at 10:59:31 pm

[Joseph W. Bourke] "By the way, you fine folks do know about the Gradient Wipe effect? You can customize your own transitions. Here's the Adobe rundown on it:
"

Use it all the time, but usually with a plug-in that that gives me a little bit more control. I've still got the complete Pixelan library from back when the world was 4:3 SD.

Return to posts index

Ron Eggleton
on May 17, 2012 at 11:19:59 pm

Awww. You guys are getting me all misty and nostalgic!

Return to posts index

Alex Hawkins
on May 18, 2012 at 12:12:24 am

We bought the Genarts Sapphire plugins. They're pretty neat. Some good transitions FX in their little bundle.

Alex Hawkins
Canberra, Australia

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on May 18, 2012 at 12:14:54 am

Cue Shane Ross and the Kiki wipe. ;-)

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on May 18, 2012 at 1:09:17 am

[Oliver Peters] "Cue Shane Ross and the Kiki wipe. ;-)
"

Kiki Stockhammer!

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on May 18, 2012 at 2:41:24 am

Actually saw her in the NewTek booth again this past NAB.

Thankfully, some nice traditions seem to persist in life.

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on May 18, 2012 at 10:29:36 pm

Yes, I just saw Kiki. Her boyfriend works at Adobe. They are in a Sci-Fi rock band together. It's called "Warp 11". Hilarious.

Kevin Monahan
Sr. Content and Community Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on May 18, 2012 at 1:04:37 am

[Alex Hawkins] "We bought the Genarts Sapphire plugins. They're pretty neat. Some good transitions FX in their little bundle.
"

Great plug-in pack. I use Continuum, which I like quite a bit. It may not quite be Sapphire, but I have three different NLEs to feed so the price difference means a lot to me.

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on May 18, 2012 at 7:43:47 am

[Chris Harlan] "I use Continuum, which I like quite a bit. It may not quite be Sapphire, but I have three different NLEs to feed so the price difference means a lot to me."

Be on the lookout for some great new plug-ins coming soon to the Mac from NewBlueFX. Cross-platform, GPU accelerated, and affordably priced. I've been playing with some betas and they're really sweet. Titler Pro is especially nice and more than makes up for any shortcomings in the PP6 titler.

They even have a cross-zoom effect!

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Chris Jacek
on May 19, 2012 at 3:47:08 am

Now if we're going do the Toaster nostalgia right, we need to watch the original demo, featuring Ken Nordine and Todd Rundgren.

Professor, Producer, Editor
and former Apple Employee

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]