FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX Broadcast Monitoring is Dead Accurate

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Davidson
FCPX Broadcast Monitoring is Dead Accurate
on May 16, 2012 at 12:15:58 am

Ok, weirdest thing. We have FCPX but mostly pretend it's not there. The other day we updated our AJA drivers to the FCPX compatible version. For the heck of it we opened fcpx and tested it. It's dead-on frame accurate. Zero offset applied. Has anybody else noticed this? In FCP7 our Blackmagic Decklink Studio is NEVER frame accurate unless we offset the heck out of it (like 7 frames, this is a known issue at BMG and nobody seemed to care). Even our AJA likes it if we give it the standard four frame offset.

I'm assuming Apple put a default 4 frame in there, but there is literally no delay between the broadcast monitor and computer screen. There goes the whole 'your lcd is introducing a slight delay' argument you hear sometimes.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
Re: FCPX Broadcast Monitoring is Dead Accurate
on May 16, 2012 at 12:35:06 am

Slight off topic, but I ran a Blackmagic Multibridge for years and never had to adjust the offset from factory default. The bay next to me (same gear) had to tweak it by 1 frame.

-Andrew

Return to posts index

John Pale
on May 16, 2012 at 12:54:29 am

I have Decklink studio and it's dead on in Avid, FCP7. Not aware if any widespread issues.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on May 16, 2012 at 1:11:40 am

Your FCP7 frame offset is set to 0? And there's not a single frame delay when playing back over componant or SDI?

For ours tape layback is fine, but when editing the AJA wants a 4 frame offset and BMG wants 7. X didn't ask and just got it right the first time.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on May 16, 2012 at 4:07:22 am

[John Davidson] "Your FCP7 frame offset is set to 0? And there's not a single frame delay when playing back over componant or SDI? "

My offset is set to 0. Its dead on.

Return to posts index

Martti Ekstrand
on May 16, 2012 at 5:42:25 am

[John Pale] "My offset is set to 0. Its dead on."

Ditto.

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
on May 16, 2012 at 8:36:00 pm

FCP 7 and FCP X, Blackmagic Multibridge 2, offset = 0. Never had to adjust.

Tangier

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on May 16, 2012 at 8:36:32 pm

So weird. I guess our systems have something funky going on. Whatever the case, X works right when others don't. Premiere CS6 on the Blackmagic has a delay too, but I haven't found a way to get the offset correct on it to sync up right.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 16, 2012 at 9:44:05 pm

What are you offsetting? Are you talking TC via RS422 or the playback offset that delays the computer monitor playback so it's not out of sync with the monitoring? I'm sure that AJA, Matrox, BMD could put a built in offset for FCPX that offsets the delay from their box to the lcd. But isn't every LCD different? And wouldn't analog (component) output have less of a delay? Especially if going to an analog monitor?

The lag I see from the BM Intensity Extreme varies. Probably by the amount of realtime in the timeline. Sometimes cuts are dead on. Computer and external monitor are perfect. Sometimes the monitor is a frame or two behind. Doesn't affect the audio / visual being shown on external. But I guess it would affect marking on the fly. I'm not that accurate anyway. :)

My FCP 7 system was about 3 or 4 frames offset. 4 for LCD, 3 for SD analog.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on May 16, 2012 at 11:22:10 pm

I'm talking playback offset in FCP7 under system settings / playback (the one that delay the computer playback). We're working at 1080i ProRes 422 (non-HQ). Oddly enough, one client sent us a show at 1080p 23.97 ProRes HQ and it was much more in sync. I'm thinking less frames plays back easier, but maybe these systems like HQ better.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 17, 2012 at 12:04:27 am

Maybe the nice big 64bit / thunderbolt pipe is allowing data to get to the externals faster in X. But I don't see that happening in 7. I think some people are confused if they think it's dead on and they don't have an offset set. But maybe the super beefed up MacPros are capable.

Return to posts index

Ben Scott
on May 17, 2012 at 10:25:59 am

sorry people saying avid is dead on with black magic card for insert edits etc is wrong

its off by 1 frame

play in bitc feed off deck

then try playing out

its off

senior tech at my work has checked it for an afternoon

Return to posts index

jon smitherton
on May 17, 2012 at 7:36:48 am

I believe the 4 frame offset was for syncing the canvas and a outputs of a firewire DV or HDV camera. Blackmagic and AJA have always specified changing this offset from 4 to 0.

Had a problem once where a BM card wouldn't insert/assemble on the correct frame on a Digibeta deck....re-installed etc...Apple blamed BM, BM blamed Apple...in the end BM updated their drivers within a week and it was fixed. Love that support.

Jon

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]