FORUMS: list search recent posts

MacRumors reports NVIDIA graphics may be in next MacBook Pro

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick Lang
MacRumors reports NVIDIA graphics may be in next MacBook Pro
on May 15, 2012 at 4:43:43 am

I hope this hasn't even posted elsewhere. Just saw this article speculating the next graphics in the MacBook Pro and Mac Pro will be from NVIDIA. That presumably means CUDA support as well as Adobe Mercury engine support.

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/05/15/more-reports-of-nvidia-graphics-chips-i...

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Greg Andonian
Re: MacRumors reports NVIDIA graphics may be in next MacBook Pro
on May 15, 2012 at 5:01:04 am

The only downside is, they're pretty much going to be glorified MacBook Airs.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 15, 2012 at 12:30:28 pm

[Greg Andonian] "The only downside is, they're pretty much going to be glorified MacBook Airs."

Why, because they won't have a DVD drive?

If the specs hold up to the rumors, they are way different than an air.

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on May 15, 2012 at 12:48:59 pm

Looks like we shall know all the details in about four weeks although not sure of the release date of course. Could be mid-June. And the benchmarks will tell the performance story shortly after that.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on May 15, 2012 at 2:29:21 pm

[Greg Andonian] "The only downside is, they're pretty much going to be glorified MacBook Airs."

So? A MacBook Air with an Ivy Bridge i7 and a NVIDIA 600M series GPU isn't anything to sneeze at. First, all you lose is an outdated DVD drive (I would prefer to have a smaller form factor and use my own external Blu-ray since I use that format for archiving). The only possible problem is that you wouldn't have a second bay for those people who love their data-doubler setup from OWC.

I'm more worried that there won't be a 17" version. If I can get a 17" Ivy Bridge with USB3 and ExpressCard, I will be supremely happy.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on May 15, 2012 at 6:30:25 pm

I will trade any 17" model option if they offer a Retina 30" with 4k and up res ;)

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on May 15, 2012 at 8:11:49 pm

Eric Santiago:
"I will trade any 17" model option if they offer a Retina 30" with 4k and up res ;)"

Of course there are also rumors now about a new retina iMac so not sure you'll see 30" but you may see that on a 27". Amazing year in store in terms of desktop/laptops.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 15, 2012 at 8:26:57 pm

[Rick Lang] "Of course there are also rumors now about a new retina iMac so not sure you'll see 30" but you may see that on a 27". Amazing year in store in terms of desktop/laptops."

So, let me get this sort of straight.

A retina display, doubles the amount of pixels, therefore effectively increases resolution, but does this in the same amount of screen real estate?

How bad did I screw that up?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 15, 2012 at 8:45:10 pm

Quadruples. Each pixel becomes a 4 pixel grid. But the x and y are each double. If something is vector, like text, then it looks sharper. If something is bitmap, at the old resolution, then it's being blown up 200% essentially to remain the same physical size. So it does't look any better or different, but if a bitmap item has more resolution to draw on, it looks pretty amazing.

However, I hear from the rumor that they don't actually have the ability to quadruple it yet, so you'd actually be looking at LESS real estate, on the same size screen, with higher resolution.

It's neat on the iPad. Text is amazingly sharp. You can't see any pixels. It would be great for working in print graphics for sure. But I'm not sure what it does for our business, since we're not usually working in retina resolutions.

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on May 15, 2012 at 8:45:11 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "A retina display, doubles the amount of pixels, therefore effectively increases resolution, but does this in the same amount of screen real estate?"

That has been how they've managed it on the iPhone and iPad. It is doubling the pixels on both the X and Y axes, so it is really a quadrupling of pixels. The way Apple defines "Retina Display" they need to be at a fine enough resolution that the human eye cannot discern individual pixels at typical viewing distances. This means inches for iPhones and feet for iMacs.

I fear the early going with Retina Macs will yield a lot of ugly-looking legacy software and web content. You'll have the crisp OS X Retina HiDPI UI elements juxtaposed against suddenly muddy 72dpi everything else. Might be ugly in practice.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 15, 2012 at 8:47:26 pm

Thanks guys.

Forward, we march into the unknown.

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on May 15, 2012 at 8:47:40 pm

Jeremy Garchow:
"A retina display, doubles the amount of pixels, therefore effectively increases resolution, but does this in the same amount of screen real estate?"

The pixel count may be double or may not be double to achieve a 'retina' display since the iMac will normally be viewed at a greater distance than the iPhone for example. The iPhone 4/4S uses 326 ppi but on the iMac the screen may just go from the current 109 ppi to 168 ppi to achieve the retina effect at a viewing distance likely of 18". Here's a long speculative article about it from MacRumors:
http://www.macrumors.com/2012/05/15/retina-displays-also-coming-to-next-gen...

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on May 15, 2012 at 8:27:26 pm

[Rick Lang] "Of course there are also rumors now about a new retina iMac"

Matte screen option?

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on May 15, 2012 at 8:57:54 pm

Jason Jenkins:
"Matte screen option?"

Did you ever see the movie Neverending Story? Your question is the remastered digital version of the old movie, no? My wife (the second most beautiful export from Colombia after Sofia Vergara) would like to say, "Si, Si, Si, Si."
8^)

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on May 15, 2012 at 10:51:54 pm

[Rick Lang] " Your question is the remastered digital version of the old movie, no?"

What?

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on May 15, 2012 at 11:05:48 pm

Gary Huff:
"[Rick Lang] " Your question is the remastered digital version of the old movie, no?"

What?"

Gary I was just trying to be facetious in that the Neverending Story was a movie shot on film about a story that ends with another beginning. The question about matte screens on the new iMacs is the same question we hear each year so it's neverending as well. And it's in the digital realm. Hope that makes sense.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on May 16, 2012 at 3:05:32 pm

One thing that drives me nuts -- ALL displays are Retina displays, or your retina couldn't see them.

OR, NO displays are Retina displays unless they are displaying actual retinas.

I hate that name.

Except, maybe it's named that because the screen is so shiny that you can see your actual retinas reflected in it.

Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine
Twitter: timdoubleyou

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on May 16, 2012 at 3:27:27 pm

Tim Wilson:
"Except, maybe it's named that because the screen is so shiny that you can see your actual retinas reflected in it."

Good one... all part of Steve's reality distortion field.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 16, 2012 at 8:09:12 pm

[Rick Lang] "Good one... all part of Steve's reality distortion field."

Mkay.

Eons ago (OK, 6 years ago), I was in Dubai and went to the Iban Batutta Mall.

I walked in to an electronics store.

Before shiny screens were the Apple of Apple's eye on laptops, every, single, pc, laptop, had shiny screens.

I had never seen them before, and seeing a few rows of them was quite jarring.

The PCs and the screens themselves were glimmering right next to the all-marble walls/floors.

Shortly after that, MacBook Pro's had a glossy option.

It's not "Steve's" reality distortion field. It's simply the way of electronics.

To non-pros, the perceived "contrast ratio" is better for viewing media. For us pro's who try to avoid reflections in production, it simply doesn't make much sense.

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on May 16, 2012 at 3:39:17 pm

[Tim Wilson] "Except, maybe it's named that because the screen is so shiny that you can see your actual retinas reflected in it."

Except the matte ones.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on May 16, 2012 at 5:35:26 pm

[Jason Jenkins] "Except the matte ones."

Really? I would love a matte Retina display screen! Do you have a link where I can buy one?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]