FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video looks better - am I seeing things?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tangier Clarke
Video looks better - am I seeing things?
on Jun 22, 2011 at 5:34:28 am

Is it just me, but my video content (AVCHD from an AF100) looks much nicer in FCP X than in FCP 7. It's sharper and more rich in color. Could just be me, but it really looks nicer.

No seriously.

Tangier

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
Re: Video looks better - am I seeing things?
on Jun 22, 2011 at 5:45:45 am

I haven't done side by side testing with decent looking H.264 footage (I've mostly just been messing with various ProRes formats here), but FCP X has a much more advanced rendering engine and supports ColorSync for display, so both of these things are plausible.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Nate Weaver
on Jun 22, 2011 at 6:05:48 am

On the other hand, XDCAM EX material transferred in 7 has a weird pulsing color shift issue. It's subtle, but it's there.

I have not checked to see if it's there on export. Doing a full-screen viewer I could tell that the engine was taking some liberties with the sharpness of my footage, so it truly maybe a preview issue (something not unheard of in 7, either).

Nate Weaver
Director/D.P., Los Angeles
http://www.nateweaver.net

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jun 22, 2011 at 6:11:13 am

[Nate Weaver] "I have not checked to see if it's there on export. Doing a full-screen viewer I could tell that the engine was taking some liberties with the sharpness of my footage, so it truly maybe a preview issue (something not unheard of in 7, either)."

There's a preference to play back at high quality. (More likely to drop frames, of course.)

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Nate Weaver
on Jun 22, 2011 at 6:29:40 am

That did it.

Funny how the process of learning how to do half of what you do differently makes you forget about the things that didn't change.

Sadly, HQ mode drops frames with XDCAM EX material on a 2009 8 core w/GT120 and 8 drive Infiniband RAID5. Yikes.

Nate Weaver
Director/D.P., Los Angeles
http://www.nateweaver.net

Return to posts index

Tom Brooks
on Jun 22, 2011 at 11:47:09 am

I noticed it looked better right away.

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
on Jun 22, 2011 at 3:03:32 pm

Thanks folks. I was pretty happy about it. It looked significantly better on both my HP L2475w (via ATI HD4870) and my MacBook Pro (2009).

There's some things I miss and obviously aren't ready yet, but as far as I can tell. I like this FCP and I've already noticed how I am working more efficiently.

Tangier

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]