FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sharing Metadata between FCPX and CS6

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Davidson
Sharing Metadata between FCPX and CS6
on May 14, 2012 at 11:42:11 pm

So we just had a meeting about what our new intern could work on. We realized that we're reusing so many shows to make our promos that metada would really be our friend over time. With that in mind we want to get our intern updating metadata on all our digitized QT's of shows. Problem is, we're not able to fully commit to FCPX or PPro CS6 at this point.

What we'd like is a program that creates metadata inside the QT file and is readable on CS6 or FCPX. I feel like FCPX may be better tasked for this, but if metadata isn't stored on the file then perhaps Adobe's Prelude is more suited. Which is our one size fits all metadata solution?

Thanks!

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
Re: Sharing Metadata between FCPX and CS6
on May 15, 2012 at 12:21:14 am

AFAIK very little metadata is stored w/in the QT movie file itself. It would be great if it was so that if you tagged a QT in one app that info would be available in any other app (like TC, for example).

Especially since you aren't sold on what NLE you'll be using I'd actually suggest a stand alone asset management. CatDV seems very popular and even has a forum here on the COW.

http://forums.creativecow.net/catdv

I feel like a stand alone program will be more robust, flexible and feature filled than using an NLE or a program that comes bundled w/an NLE. You also won't be as tied to a certain NLE if you us a product like CatDV.

2.9 GHz 8-core (4,1), FCP 7.0.3, 10.6.6
Blackmagic Multibridge Eclipse (7.9.5)

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on May 15, 2012 at 2:17:15 am

Interesting. I hadn't thought of that CatDV. According to Adobe, Prelude is open to 3rd parties - which Apple is very good about working with....not.

We played around with Prelude and it looks promising, but I really had hoped that the actual file contained all the metadata. We'll probably use Prelude initially for a project or two and see what happens. I'll keep CatDV open as an option though.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on May 15, 2012 at 11:00:00 am

John,

With XMP (eXtensible Metadata Platform), the metadata is stored within the file itself whenever possible. When direct injection is not available, it is stored as an XMP sidecar file in the same folder as the video essence.

QT as you know is a container format so can hold the metadata no problem. Things like XDCAM (MP2 essence) do not support injected metadta so it's stored next to the video.

The problem is that there is no one metadata standard. Adobe's XMP is open, contains an SDK and there are partners who use it a lot (Media Beacon, Day Software [part of Adobe now], Chyron, others). However, I would not call XMP a standard by any stretch. The fact that there is an SDK allows for translation from one metadata format to another. However, it's up to the other companies to want to support it.

At the end of the day, I don't know of a simple way to share metadata between FCPX and CS6. The idea of a MAM (media asset manager) is the most logical step if you want to share metadata between applications.

Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on May 15, 2012 at 5:04:12 pm

Interesting - Thanks Dennis. Prelude seems pretty useful after playing with it some. We're going to try it out with Premiere on our next spot and go from there. Not sure if my brain can handle learning a MAM and Premiere all at once! :)

Return to posts index

Keith Koby
on May 17, 2012 at 8:07:51 pm

There are definitely mams out there that are working on modules for this. Basically, you have all of your metadata in the mam and export an xml to the nle to put it there for edit. if you add metadata in the nle, then you gotta export an xml and import it back to the mam. that will be the case for a while until integration between nles and next gen mams expands.

Keith Koby
Sr. Director Post-Production Engineering
iNDEMAND NETWORKS
Howard TV!/Movies On Demand/iNDEMAND Pay-Per-View/iNDEMAND 3D

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]