FORUMS: list search recent posts

MacBookPro 15" rumors from supposedly reliable sources

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Seeman
MacBookPro 15" rumors from supposedly reliable sources
on May 14, 2012 at 2:57:59 pm

Apple readies revamped 15-inch MacBook Pro: Retina Display, ultra-thin design, and super-fast USB 3
http://9to5mac.com/2012/05/14/apple-readies-revamped-15-inch-macbook-pro-re...

Highlights
USB3
2 Thunderbolt ports
No Optical drive
Possibly no Ethernet
Retina Display
Maybe nVidia GPU

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
Re: MacBookPro 15" rumors from supposedly reliable sources
on May 14, 2012 at 3:49:41 pm

Wow! I've had Superfast USB 3.0 on my IBM ThinkPad W510 for almost three years!

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 14, 2012 at 4:35:53 pm

[Joseph W. Bourke] "IBM ThinkPad W510 for almost three years!"

From the company that abandoned the PC business?
Don't you mean Lenovo, one of three PC companies who have announced Thunderbolt support as well?

BTW those who have been running Hackintoshes have noted that it's been recognized by the Mac OS already, as the article notes.

Given Intel is committing to USB3 motherboard implementation, that would probably propel Apple into supporting it.

BTW look at the number of laptops Blackmagic officially lists as USB3 supported with their products. I believe it's only one MSI laptop although reports are that devices like the Shuttle USB3 will work with a few (very few) others (and not at all on Mac).

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on May 14, 2012 at 7:08:17 pm

You're right, Craig - sorry - when I see ThinkPad, I think IBM. The sad part is it's sitting right in front of me. I'm pretty much port agnostic - if there's something that will increase my efficiency, I don't care if it comes from the Apple or the PC side - I want it. I think that Apple's decision to keep the TB technology propriety for the length of time it did has hurt its' chances of widespread adoption, but, as I said, faster is better!

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Morten Ranmar
on May 14, 2012 at 5:08:35 pm

No ethernet. Just like with FinalCutX, we do not need collaboration any more - according to Apple.

- No Parking Production -

2 x Finalcut Studio3, 2 x Prod. bundle CS5.5, 2 x MacPro, 2 x ioHD, Ethernet File Server w. X-Raid.... and FCPX on trial

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 14, 2012 at 5:22:29 pm

[Morten Ranmar] "No ethernet. Just like with FinalCutX, we do not need collaboration any more - according to Apple."

Wireless.
Also there are already Wired Ethernet adaptors. I don't doubt we'll be seeing some of those with Thunderbolt. With Two Thunderbolt ports you'll have a bit more flexibility in customizing your configuration.

http://www.apple.com/thunderbolt/
even connect to Gigabit Ethernet and Fibre Channel networks — using simple adapters.

Also the Thunderbolt monitors include an Ethernet port.

Two Thunderbolt ports allows for more connectivity.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 14, 2012 at 6:25:12 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a usb3 to Ethernet adapter either.

Apple already has a usb2 one for the air, but usb3 could handle gigE.

I hope there's a 17" version of this.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on May 14, 2012 at 6:32:34 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] " I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a usb3 to Ethernet adapter either."

Yeah, it'll be in the same section that all those Thunderbolt adapters and accessories are in.

Return to posts index

Morten Ranmar
on May 14, 2012 at 6:43:46 pm

Yeah - don't you just LOVE break-out cables? Reminds me of the good 'ol Media100 days where I got a new dongle to put on top of the old dongle, every time I updated the system....

- No Parking Production -

2 x Finalcut Studio3, 2 x Prod. bundle CS5.5, 2 x MacPro, 2 x ioHD, Ethernet File Server w. X-Raid.... and FCPX on trial

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 14, 2012 at 7:43:59 pm

[Morten Ranmar] "Yeah - don't you just LOVE break-out cables?"

Considering this is about MacBookPro laptop. . . YES. I'd rather like having PCIe like connectivity on a laptop and that I can daisy chain it to some extent as well. Yes, I want more connectivity with more powerful peripherals on my laptop.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 14, 2012 at 8:38:07 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Yes, I want more connectivity with more powerful peripherals on my laptop."

So do I.

If you already have an Ethernet cable dangling out of your laptop, you could certainly have a usb3 version of this:

http://store.apple.com/us_smb_78313/product/MC704ZM/A

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on May 14, 2012 at 9:06:45 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "If you already have an Ethernet cable dangling out of your laptop, you could certainly have a usb3 version of this:

http://store.apple.com/us_smb_78313/product/MC704ZM/A"

From the Apple store description:
Easily connect your MacBook Air computer to an Ethernet network with the Apple USB Ethernet Adapter. Small and light, it connects to the USB 2.0 port of your MacBook Air and provides an RJ-45 connector that supports 10/100BASE-T performance
I need Gigabit, 100BASE-T doesn't cut it. Ethernet is the one thing in this possible new laptop that I'd really miss.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on May 14, 2012 at 9:34:56 pm

[David Lawrence] "I need Gigabit, 100BASE-T doesn't cut it. Ethernet is the one thing in this possible new laptop that I'd really miss."

Jeremy was saying USB3 would provide enough bandwidth to support a GigE USB NIC along the same form-factor lines as the existing 100BASE USB2 model.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on May 14, 2012 at 9:59:14 pm

[Andrew Richards] "Jeremy was saying USB3 would provide enough bandwidth to support a GigE USB NIC along the same form-factor lines as the existing 100BASE USB2 model."

Ah, missed that about USB3. All good. Though I'll still grumble about blowing that port on a dongle.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 14, 2012 at 9:37:11 pm

[David Lawrence] "I need Gigabit, 100BASE-T doesn't cut it. Ethernet is the one thing in this possible new laptop that I'd really miss."

That's why I said a usb3 version.

Usb3 is 5Gbps.

Usb2 is 480Mbps.

Gigabit is impossible on usb2.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on May 14, 2012 at 7:20:30 pm

Gary -

You may want to keep an eye on the offerings at MonoPrice. They have a huge assortment of cables and adapters, and seem to be right on the curve as far as technology goes:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/search.asp?keyword=thunderbolt

I have no affiliation with them, other than that I buy most of my cables, adapters, and a variety of their other offerings. I've been very happy with the quality - the price speaks for itself.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on May 14, 2012 at 8:53:10 pm

[Joseph W. Bourke] "You may want to keep an eye on the offerings at MonoPrice. They have a huge assortment of cables and adapters, and seem to be right on the curve as far as technology goes:"

I always shop MonoPrice first for cables and adapters and whatnot. Quality commodity cables for what they should actually cost. Love it! They are great for building racks with right-sized cable lengths and even have 50/125 fiber and Cat6a now. They tend to skew home theater or IT-centric in their products, but their selection is always expanding and the prices are just so great.

I was doing a big build and they noticed how much I was spending with them and proactively upgraded my account for volume discounts even on items I wasn't buying in large quantities. Great company!

But the products you linked are really just Mini DisplayPort adapters (which they have been selling since before Thunderbolt hit the market- I have a set myself). They just label them Thunderbolt for the sake of consumer discovery.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 14, 2012 at 11:25:26 pm

More tidbits
Bloomberg reports, etc.
http://9to5mac.com/2012/05/14/bloomberg-reiterates-apple-to-unveil-new-thin...
and
Bloomberg
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-05-14/apple-said-to-prepare-thinner-mac-...
and
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/05/14/apple_to_debut_thinner_retina...

It sure does seem like a controlled leak (from Apple) for June WWDC.
iMac only a Minor design change (no iMacPro)?
13" MBP also mentioned but not 17"

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on May 15, 2012 at 12:03:30 am

[Craig Seeman] "It sure does seem like a controlled leak (from Apple) for June WWDC."

Wait, I thought Apple never leaks anything? And no hint about a new Mac Pro. Can we say R.I P.?

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 15, 2012 at 12:05:56 am

[Herb Sevush] "Wait, I thought Apple never leaks anything? And no hint about a new Mac Pro. Can we say R.I P.?"

Nah, leaks to whip up a frenzy among consumers who will buy it anyway are cool.

It's roadmaps for pros to help them plan their purchases that are verboten.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on May 15, 2012 at 12:32:21 am

[Walter Soyka] "Nah, leaks to whip up a frenzy among consumers who will buy it anyway are cool."

Well, in a LITTLE fairness, the 15" MBP is a pretty nifty pro machine. I spent years going to FCP groups all over the world, and I saw many hundreds of people build their editing trades around them.

After all, the one aspect of FCP that I think of as truly revolutionary from the beginning is that you could do serious work on a laptop. Hence the mild irony of "no tower = no love for pros" meme. Apple invented an editing ecosystem that didn't need any towers, and pushed it further than anyone else.

Hence also my thinking that Apple nurturing FCP primarily to sell hardware is...I was going to say "nonsense," but let's say "not in evidence."

Agreeing with your point though that Apple is as canny as any company ever has been about controlled leaks....and this close to WWDC, they're not exactly leaks as much as sneak previews....

Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine
Twitter: timdoubleyou

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 15, 2012 at 1:00:24 am

[Herb Sevush] "Wait, I thought Apple never leaks anything?"

They've done controlled leaks before and it may become even more common post Jobs.

[Herb Sevush] "And no hint about a new Mac Pro. Can we say R.I P.?"

It's been clear for some time. Given they haven't pulled the 2010 MacPro there may be a replacement. It won't be a MacPro though. Don't confuse MacPro with Xeon based systems. There may be another something to replace it. There might be a clue at WWDC in June which is when the MBPs are coming.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on May 15, 2012 at 1:28:43 am

[Craig Seeman] "Don't confuse MacPro with Xeon based systems."

Mac Pro = large Ram (32-64 GB)
PCIe 16 Lane slots
Multiple / Selectable / Powerful GPU and CPU configurations.

Doesn't matter what it looks like or how they get there, if it can do the work I will consider it a Mac Pro.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 15, 2012 at 2:38:06 am

I agree Herb.
What you want pretty much matches what I hope for as well.

Return to posts index

Chris Jacek
on May 15, 2012 at 2:52:18 am

Is there any mention in this last round of MBP rumors, whether they will offer traditional drives, or will it be SSD only?

Professor, Producer, Editor
and former Apple Employee

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on May 15, 2012 at 1:00:23 pm

The rumour is at least SSD to assist with booting the computer. Perhaps in the high-e d configuration, the only drive(s) will be SSD and another option would be the hybrid boot assist plus a larger hard disk drive. Removing the optical drive gives them room to add something. I'm very curious if they will abandon their hard-wired graphics daughter card for a removable plug-in card in the MacBook Pro and the iMac Pro.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on May 15, 2012 at 4:52:20 am

Craig sorry for the almost duplicate post I made announcing NVIDIA returning to the MacBook Pro. Your source indicates it is possible. The sources in my post indicated it's going to happen. Still I wouldn't have posted if I had read all of your post first!

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]