Just so we're clear...
on May 14, 2012 at 8:36:32 am

THIS is NOT an "event"...

...THIS is an EVENT.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Just so we're clear...
on May 14, 2012 at 2:36:58 pm

Well, the first was a project. But I see your point. You're old. :)

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on May 14, 2012 at 5:54:55 pm

You're showing your age as well. The kids these days would have written "your old."

;)

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 14, 2012 at 7:23:27 pm

[Alan Okey] "You're showing your age as well. The kids these days would have written "your old.""

Alan, I hate to say it, but you might be showing your age, too.

Wouldn't a kid today write "ur old?"

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Chris Tomberlin
on May 14, 2012 at 7:26:13 pm

Kids these days write????

Chris Tomberlin
Editor/Compositor/Owner
OutPost Pictures

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on May 14, 2012 at 7:31:56 pm

Touché!

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 14, 2012 at 9:04:44 pm

And I would've said "my old what?" I would've gotten away with it too if it weren't for those meddling kids!

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on May 14, 2012 at 9:35:34 pm

Actually I think the kids would say something like, "Hey who's that old dude with the guitar?"

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Greg Andonian
on May 14, 2012 at 9:52:36 pm

Ok, well, admittedly I was a little confused there, so I did some searching and found this-

From the video:

"An EVENT is a collection of media files. A PROJECT is how you want them edited together."

Which sounds just as absurd as my original assumption. A group of random videos is NOT an EVENT... ;)

Larry said in the video that the media from one event can be used in multiple projects, and also that there can be only one event folder per drive. I'm guessing this is where the "all media viewable by everyone" dilema stems from...

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 16, 2012 at 5:57:59 am

For all basic intense purposes: EVENT=BIN (but really more a collection of bins) & PROJECT = SEQUENCE/TIMELINE

Return to posts index

Jules bowman
on May 16, 2012 at 7:12:09 am

Was there any reason why an event couldn't have remained being called a project and a timeline a timeline or a sequence a sequence? Did someone have copyright over those terms and were charge apple to use them thus reducing their profit margin?

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on May 16, 2012 at 7:54:38 am

[Jules bowman] "Was there any reason why an event couldn't have remained being called a project and a timeline a timeline or a sequence a sequence? Did someone have copyright over those terms and were charge apple to use them thus reducing their profit margin?"

Probably not, but too many people seem to be hung up on the name change, they could have called projects "cuddly kittens" and timelines "Prancing Horses" as far as I'm concerned - I know what they mean!

Steve Connor
"Sometimes it's fun to poke an angry bear with a stickl"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on May 16, 2012 at 9:17:58 am

[Steve Connor] "Probably not, but too many people seem to be hung up on the name change, they could have called projects "cuddly kittens" and timelines "Prancing Horses" as far as I'm concerned - I know what they mean!
"

Oh, the client conversations you would have!

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on May 16, 2012 at 1:32:19 pm

I don't know - all this changing terminology is getting kind of AVID-esque. A-mode, Attic Folder, double-strand editing - they all come back to me. I'm getting scared! What's next - meaningless icons where you have to take a course because they're not intuitive? Yikes!

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on May 16, 2012 at 2:27:59 pm

Isn't that always what's next?

Tim

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on May 16, 2012 at 2:49:20 pm

[Joseph W. Bourke] "What's next - meaningless icons where you have to take a course because they're not intuitive?"

That reminds me of the other day. I don't know when they changed it, but the Avid icon for the shortcut "lift" used to be a bodybuilder hefting a barbell. I was telling my students about that yesterday, thinking that the icon hadn't changed. Now I'm a little sad that it has because that was damn funny.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on May 16, 2012 at 3:58:55 pm

It went away with the new logo.

Tim

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on May 16, 2012 at 4:27:45 pm

So you know we're all screwed when the terminology and iconography of software gets given over to the design and marketing departments. Ho boy!

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 16, 2012 at 2:59:55 pm

Because an EVENT doesn't resemble a Project in any way. Events are essentially bins. Bins that live outside a Project. I don't know about you, but I always considered my Project to be all about a finished video. The Project. Bins were just an organizational tool for the source media that lived within the project.

So look at it this way. Projects are still projects. Bins don't live inside projects anymore, so bins needed to be grouped together in SOME way, so that concept had to be given a name. Event seemed like a decent choice. Would bin groups have been better? Maybe. But since other Apps in the Apple world calls groups of media Events, I think Apple decided that was a good choice.

Having bins exist in only the project was pretty silly in FCP legacy. Avid doesn't do that and for good reason. If you want to access bins from another project, you simply navigate to that project folder, and open the bin, which exists in the project folder, but outside the project. In your project it lets you know that it's a bin not associated with the project with a color highlight or something. I foget.

I'd say FCP Xs spin on it is a bit more modern and makes the media even more accessible. Too accessible perhaps. Some sort of built in event manager would be helpful. But it's easily enough done at the finder level. In legacy I was constantly managing aspects of FCP at the finder level. No big difference.

It's funny how for 12 years myself and other have been bitching about how the Media mgmt in FCP 1-7 sucked and now that they've changed it to actually start making sense everyone complains because we've gotten so used to the moronic way it used to work.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]