FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP7 to PP6: series of questions

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jules bowman
FCP7 to PP6: series of questions
on May 11, 2012 at 8:36:25 am

Hello, I posted a series of questions I have since i've started trying PP6, but I did so in the basic forum which appears to not have much traffic.

So I am posting a link in here in the hope of driving some of you who may be able to help to the thread, and though I appreciate this isn't a help forum at all I do know that there are readers of this forum who know a whole lot more than I do about PP and may be able and willing to help.

I apologise for duplicate posting, but I am spending the next few days trying to wrap my head around PP6 and transferring my editing style to it and all the questions I am posting are issues I am having that I haven't found solutions for yet, though i'm going to start hitting tutorials etc., so some may be resolved.

This is the link to the thread:

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/205/876129

Thanks

Return to posts index

Thomas Frank
Re: FCP7 to PP6: series of questions
on May 11, 2012 at 3:08:35 pm

Wow sounds like Premiere Pro CS6 is not that great after all! Doh! ;)

Have you switch the Key commands to Final Cut Pro? Which I think does still exist right?

Return to posts index

Jules bowman
on May 11, 2012 at 3:14:15 pm

I did.

And i'm not sure my ignorance to PP means it isn't good :) I'm sure a lot of what I cannot do can be done, and if it can't, well let's just say their to-do list is going to get a lot longer as these seem like things that should be able to be done :)

Still, i'm sure a lot of it is just being not knowing at the moment. And in a post FCP world, which realistically we have to accept and work around, PP still has tracks which makes it leaps and bounds ahead of FC10 even if I have to wait for these things to be added in.

Though, I still, after a year, cannot believe FCP was aborted and I am not convinced i'll ever stop being a tad annoyed with Apple at doing it. It's like a petulant child taking his football home because he wanted to play Wembley and everyone else wanted to play 5-a-side.

Return to posts index

Thomas Frank
on May 11, 2012 at 3:17:45 pm

[Jules bowman] " PP still has tracks which makes it leaps and bounds ahead of FC10 even if I have to wait for these things to be added in."

don't say that unless you know it have used on a project.

Cause to me it has tracks I like to call it floating tracks. Check out this podcast:
http://podcasts.creativecow.net/adobe-premiere-tutorials-podcast/premiere-p...

Return to posts index

Jules bowman
on May 11, 2012 at 3:20:44 pm

Floating tracks. Great. Very, um, cool.

And cheers for the link, but really utterly not interested, sorry. If I have to learn a new EDL, and I do (thanks Apple), I'm going to waste my free time learning PP.

Cheers though.

Return to posts index

Thomas Frank
on May 11, 2012 at 3:27:49 pm

Well if you know Final Cut Pro, Premiere Pro should be that much difficult.
At this point you are not making any since you asked about Premiere Pro and I send you a link that will help in some of your question and now you are not interested?

Return to posts index

Jules bowman
on May 11, 2012 at 3:48:10 pm

Sorry, you were going on about FC10 and then mentioned a podcast so my assumption was that it was about FC10.

Paragraphs perhaps.

Anyway, thanks, had a quick look but I know where the key shortcuts are, how to change them, etc., but my questions are about specific actions and not being able to find them in the shortcuts area in order to assign keys to them.

Cheers

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on May 11, 2012 at 3:45:45 pm

the only one I can vaguely answer is the effect copy - It should be a simple copy paste job - select the effect in the effects palette for the clip, copy, and then select one or more destination clips and press paste - that should be it. If its like AE, or how AE used to be, it won't bring keyframe parameters, just the current effects parameters when you copied it. But basically its a copy paste not a drag type thing. Or I think it is. It looks nearly identical in operation to AE.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos
http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Jules bowman
on May 11, 2012 at 4:03:04 pm

Yes, that seems to work. that's great, thanks, and a start :) though have to say dragging a filter onto multiple clips does seem to feel quicker.

Cheers.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on May 11, 2012 at 4:08:32 pm

don't forget to stick that stuff on the feature wishlist for premiere at the adobe site - adobe really mean it when they say that consistent feature requests help drive development. A lot of that workflow stuff could come in in a .5 release or possibly sooner with what they're saying about updates. Just out of curiosity - What are you running Premiere on?

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos
http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Jules bowman
on May 11, 2012 at 6:07:57 pm

hey. yes, i'm making a request short list :) i've posted on the adobe forums too and have found some answers... some definitely don't exist, others do and are sorted, and discovered a cool feature with the thumbnail version of bins which was nice... but yes will get there.

I have a 2 x 2.26 quad core. 16gig of ram and (sadly) a NVIDIA GeForce GT120

I have to say that clips (currently pro res encodes from my canon dslr, out of habit at the moment) in the timeline with CC on them have red bars above them but play fine.

I've started wrapping my head around the screen layout too (have two monitors) and have to say I really like the way you can put things where you want. I know we all edit differently and I have my own way and at the start with PP i was frustrated with how certain things worked as pertaining the windows but after 'getting' the scope of the layout options, all is now rather dandy.

I am feeling that PP, and the rest of the Adobe suite, is a distinct possibility for me. It is frustrating that the little things i used to be able to do in FCP7 which were time savers and key stroke savers etc., cannot be done at the moment, but I am aware that Adobe listen and try and implement things so i'm willing to wait.

I mean it took a few years for Apple to change the default shadow drop down to 2 pixels.

When our head is stroked and we're told we're loved, then we'll put up with hair blocking the plug hole.

Return to posts index

Alex Hawkins
on May 14, 2012 at 3:25:55 am

Hi Jules,

Don't forget you can set up multiple workspaces with windows maximised etc to where you want depending on what you're doing at the time and then map them to keyboard shortcuts. So I have 1- Editing; 2- Bin Searching; 3-Effects; 4-Colour Correction; 5 -Titling; 6-Audio Mixing etc.

Works very nicely.

Cheers,

Alex Hawkins
Canberra, Australia

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on May 12, 2012 at 11:29:38 am

Answered the original thread.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved