FORUMS: list search recent posts

Apple Releases OS 10.7.4 and Safari 5.1.7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary Slickman
Apple Releases OS 10.7.4 and Safari 5.1.7
on May 9, 2012 at 9:52:38 pm

Apple has released OS X 10.7.4 and Safari. Both can be obtained via the Software Updates component of the Mac OS X Systems Preferences app.

Here is a link to the MacNews Post
http://www.macnews.com/2012/05/09/apple-releases-os-x-1074-safari-517

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
Re: Apple Releases OS 10.7.4 and Safari 5.1.7
on May 9, 2012 at 10:40:49 pm

If you're trying out PrPro David McGavran states in a post buried below, that 10.7.4 offers much improved OpenCL performance. There was even apparently co-operation between Adobe and Apple on this. Imagine that! It might even benefit FCPX.

David
AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on May 10, 2012 at 1:50:08 am

[David Cherniack] "It might even benefit FCPX."

There will be plenty of benefit to FCPX if these new releases don't break it. Add the ability to not break with every new iTunes release and you really CAN call this a revolutionary new NLE from Apple.

Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine
Twitter: timdoubleyou

Return to posts index

James Mortner
on May 10, 2012 at 8:38:09 am

[Tim Wilson] "Add the ability to not break with every new iTunes release and you really CAN call this a revolutionary new NLE from Apple.
"

That is LOLZ

Return to posts index

Jeff Markgraf
on May 11, 2012 at 12:10:19 am

X has been almost unusable on my macpro 1,1. Sluggish, constant beachball, etc. even with a new graphics card. Trying to cut a 5 cam multicam project with mixed ProRes and HDV was painful beyond belief. I figured I would simply have to get a new computer in order to use X.

Downloaded the OS update last night. Suddenly FCPX is behaving. I can actually use it. So I guess whatever Apple did to Open CL worked.

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on May 10, 2012 at 10:42:00 am

Here's a blog post from Todd that covers GPU and mentions 10.7.4 and OpenCL improvements: http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotraining/2012/05/opencl-and-premiere-pro-...

Return to posts index

Morten Ranmar
Re: Apple Releases OS 10.7.4 - WARNING!!!
on May 10, 2012 at 2:54:03 pm

10.7.4 killed all audio on my MBP (newest model)

- No Parking Production -

2 x Finalcut Studio3, 2 x Prod. bundle CS5.5, 2 x MacPro, 2 x ioHD, Ethernet File Server w. X-Raid.... and FCPX on trial

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 10, 2012 at 3:00:42 pm

[Morten Ranmar] "10.7.4 killed all audio on my MBP (newest model)"

Killed audio, how? Meaning your audio outputs? Capture cards?

Return to posts index

Morten Ranmar
on May 10, 2012 at 3:18:27 pm

Can play audio through internal speakers from Premiere Pro - but cannot adjust volume. Control Panel is dead. Also now I realize preview of video files does not work anymore - and FCPX cannot start.

STAY AWAY FROM 10.7.4 - (and for me soon it will be "stay away from Apple" - if they continue their arrogant march towards becoming a toy company)

2 x Finalcut Studio3, 2 x Prod. bundle CS5.5, 2 x MacPro, 2 x ioHD, Ethernet File Server w. X-Raid.... and FCPX on trial

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on May 10, 2012 at 3:22:33 pm

A good rule to bear in mind is don't update your OS for at least two weeks after release and then only when you've checked there are no issues appearing around the forums with your software. Doesn't help now but it will do in the future.

Steve Connor
"FCPX Professional"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Morten Ranmar
Re: Apple Releases OS 10.7.4 - Problem solved
on May 10, 2012 at 3:28:17 pm

I have done a reset of the Parameter Ram (start-up while holding alt/cmd/P/R), and now everything seems to work again.

But BTW You are absolutely right about your advice not to rush in and update immediately - just wanted to se if I got better OpenCL performance with PP CS6 - but not really any noticeable difference.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on May 10, 2012 at 3:33:53 pm

Glad you've solved it! In case you didn't, always download the combo updater from the Apple Support site, don't use software update for OS updates.

Steve Connor
"FCPX Professional"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on May 10, 2012 at 3:59:16 pm

[Steve Connor] "always download the combo updater from the Apple Support site, don't use software update for OS updates.
"

Or better, don't do anything until you hear from somebody else who ignored this advice. :-)

I wasn't kidding about what I said in my post above. Historically speaking every update of EVERYTHING from Apple breaks FCP.

It used to be especially hideous with QuickTime, whose updates were presumably at least partly for our benefit. Nope. iTunes is in some ways even more hideous -- more frequent, annoying notices, slower to download but every bit as likely to break something in FCP.

My general rule is don't update ANYTHING unless you HAVE to. I knew some guys who were both busy enough and hardcore enough that they wouldn't even add fonts until a client was actually paying them to do it. If you're making money with your system as it is, you're taking needless risks.

Says your doddering old Unkle Timmy.

Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine
Twitter: timdoubleyou

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on May 10, 2012 at 5:11:00 pm

[Steve Connor] "always download the combo updater"

Absolutely great advice.

Always use the Combo updater.

Although, I wonder if this will go away with the next release of OS X. If it's App Store only?

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on May 10, 2012 at 8:27:21 pm

Well....

I also think good advice is not to get all flustered and come into groups like this and shout about a "*terrible problem" that actually turns out *not* to actually to be such a terrible problem.

Doesn't do much to inspire my confidence in someones posting ID, IMO.

Last time I looked, patience and judgement were more valuable commodities than panic and our instant culture's desires for all of us to be "first" to discover something that might or might not be relevant.

Coming on a board and noting you're having a problem and watching the discussion to see if large groups of folks are having the same problem is helpful and good net citizenship.

Shouting dire warnings in thread headers? Not so much, IMO.

My opinion only.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

Morten Ranmar
on May 10, 2012 at 8:38:32 pm

Except for the fact that forums actually are also used for problem solving - not just throwing mud at each other...

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on May 10, 2012 at 8:54:09 pm

[Morten Ranmar] "Except for the fact that forums actually are also used for problem solving - not just throwing mud at each other..."

Bill knows a lot about the mud, he gets covered in it quite regularly on here

Steve Connor
"FCPX Professional"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on May 10, 2012 at 9:13:14 pm

Bill,

It appears (from the thread and my email notification) that you are replying to me.

Are you?

Or do I have poor thread following skills?

Kevin

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on May 10, 2012 at 10:28:44 pm

Actually no, Kevin, I was just replying to the thread in general.that started with Mr. Ranmar's post.

I suppose I should have backed up and posted to his comment, but I usually see threads as on-going conversations here like email strings and don't consider my attachment point to be taken as that specific.

If it confused you. Sorry.

(and of course this response IS to your post directly above! ; )

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 10, 2012 at 10:41:11 pm

Select text, hit Shift-Q, or hit the "Quote" button and text is quoted in the reply box with who said it.

This makes threads much easier to follow, especially when they get long.

It ends up looking like this:

[Bill Davis] "(and of course this response IS to your post directly above! ; )"

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on May 11, 2012 at 2:02:11 am

[Bill Davis] "Actually no, Kevin, I was just replying to the thread in general.that started with Mr. Ranmar's post."

I assumed so. But, it never hurts to check.

Kevin

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
on May 10, 2012 at 4:23:59 pm

[Steve Connor] "A good rule to bear in mind is don't update your OS for at least two weeks after release and then only when you've checked there are no issues appearing around the forums with your software."

Steve et al.,

I like to pair this advice with the usual troubleshooting advice which goes something like:

"Make sure you have the latest driver / software / OS update."

Franz.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on May 10, 2012 at 9:22:57 pm

I'd rather someone come in and go "Hey, might have a problem related to XYZ" and work it out in public so other people know to be weary instead of keeping it to themselves and potentially having more people fall down the same pit.

-Andrew

2.9 GHz 8-core (4,1), FCP 7.0.3, 10.6.6
Blackmagic Multibridge Eclipse (7.9.5)

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on May 10, 2012 at 10:53:09 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "I'd rather someone come in and go "Hey, might have a problem related to XYZ" and work it out in public so other people know to be weary instead of keeping it to themselves and potentially having more people fall down the same pit.
"

I second that! My preference is that if you legitimately think there might be a major SNAFU hanging about just offstage, I would rather you shout it out. We can quickly figure out if you are wrong, or there is any easy fix. Frankly, I don't see it as being panicky or alarmist. I think of it as being kindly and prudent.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on May 11, 2012 at 4:33:15 pm

[Chris Harlan] "Frankly, I don't see it as being panicky or alarmist. I think of it as being kindly and prudent."

Well, as someone who was roundly and persistently trashed for SHOUTING and generally being alarmist so many times, perhaps It's just a minor sore point to me.

Perhaps I just yearn for the days of my "or Not" group virginity back when I could conceivably use all caps and three exclamation points - and be incorrect - and not have invective rain upon me as a deluge.

Ah, the good old days...

; )

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on May 11, 2012 at 5:31:25 pm

[Bill Davis] "[Chris Harlan] "Frankly, I don't see it as being panicky or alarmist. I think of it as being kindly and prudent."

Well, as someone who was roundly and persistently trashed for SHOUTING and generally being alarmist so many times, perhaps It's just a minor sore point to me.
"

Bill, I don't think you've ever been trashed for warning people that there might be something potentially dangerous about files they might otherwise download. I think most people agree that shouting is appropriate when there is potential imminent danger.

[Bill Davis] "Perhaps I just yearn for the days of my "or Not" group virginity back when I could conceivably use all caps and three exclamation points - and be incorrect - and not have invective rain upon me as a deluge.

Ah, the good old days...

; )
"

I don't believe I EVER complained about your use of caps or exclamation points. I TEND to use them MYSELF from time to time!!!

Return to posts index

Dave Gosley
on May 15, 2012 at 11:48:50 am

Lion killed my sound control in the same way, had hoped 10.7.4 would have addressed the issue as there are many who have suffered the same - but lo-behold - 10.7.4 leaves the problem in tact. Well done Apple!

Lets hope 10.7.5 resolves the sound control issue properly.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]