FORUMS: list search recent posts

PP CS6 test drive

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Morten Ranmar
PP CS6 test drive
on May 7, 2012 at 7:58:59 pm

Got my Premiere Pro upgrade today, and playing around with it on newest top level MBP feels just as smooth as FinalCutProX. Managed to make it crash - just by slip'n'sliding media on the timeline, but when I reopened most changes did recover.

The title tool is really nice, and trimming tools seem quite well thought. Nice to have dual viewers and tracks back - once again being in control, but I do miss the simplicity of secondary color grading with masks in FCPX. Also miss the colored audio waveforms, that redraw when you adjust the volume.

But all in all, PP does seem easier to work with than X - I can use all the shortcuts I know from FCP, and open the same project and media in different edit suites. OMF is also welcome.

When they bring out a maintenance release, this could well be a replacement for FCP legacy. I love the tight integration with AfterFX, and "Edit clip in Audition".

(This is a repost from wrong placement at FCP Techniques)

- No Parking Production -

2 x Finalcut Studio3, 2 x Prod. bundle CS5.5, 2 x MacPro, 2 x ioHD, Ethernet File Server w. X-Raid.... and FCPX on trial

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
Re: PP CS6 test drive
on May 7, 2012 at 9:18:04 pm

[Morten Ranmar] " I do miss the simplicity of secondary color grading with masks in FCPX"

You can do secondary grading with the 3-way in Premiere. That and the masks effect are CUDA (and I believe OpenCL) real time. Or you can shoot DPXs or an EDL of your clip into Speedgrade.

David
AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on May 7, 2012 at 11:10:59 pm

Yeah but the "new" 3 way CC still kinda sucks. It's nice to have tracks etc. but you get spoiled in FCPX by just clicking on a clip and having all the color and other controls instantly available.

Lots of mixed feeling about Premiere CS6 - definitely not as excited as I was before NAB. I've also had Premiere crash as well as Speedgrade - this was on a Win7 machine. Haven't spent much time yet on Mac version. Gonna give it some time...

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Irvine, California

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on May 7, 2012 at 11:23:20 pm

at least its not a square? - I kind of dig it liking colorista as I do - I think its a bit inspired by colorista. plus if dynamic link works like people say it does, I'm going to be walking next door to AE like its another room for most stuff.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos
http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on May 7, 2012 at 11:48:20 pm

Don't forget Speedgrade is also just across the street. Not quite next door yet and lacking output via a Kona/Decklink/Matrox but moving closer soon I expect.

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on May 8, 2012 at 3:21:27 am

Yeah very underwhelmed by Speedgrade - it's no Color or DaVinci - just bizarre how lacking it is at certain things.

But love Colorista as well and have no prob working with 3rd party plugs if necessary.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Irvine, California

Return to posts index

Lin Sebastian Kayser
on May 8, 2012 at 8:37:23 am

Hi Lance,

can you describe what you feel SpeedGrade is lacking?

Thanks,
Lin

Lin Sebastian Kayser - Adobe SpeedGrade Engineering Director - Founder of IRIDAS

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on May 8, 2012 at 12:18:59 pm

good lord, but of course.

with adobe, a bloke voices an issue with speedgrade, then there is a bang noise, a puff of smoke, and the speedgrade engineer is standing beside them with a polite listening face on.

surreal.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on May 8, 2012 at 2:41:54 pm

[Lin Sebastian Kayser] "Lin Sebastian Kayser - Adobe SpeedGrade Engineering Director - Founder of IRIDAS"

Hey,

I was wondering on how I should be working with transitions (cross dissolves) when sending the timeline as DPX footage from Premiere. When we use Lustre we just render out the necessary heads and tails on the dissolvable clip and put them in place manually. Speedgrade renders the dissolve as it's own clip but it doesn't help because you can't "dissolve" the grade. Or can you? The EDLs work great when using the original footage clips.

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on May 8, 2012 at 4:25:13 pm

Thanks for the response - I feel I need to spend more time with it to give a real answer. I'm sure there's a LOT of user error happening right now. But I do feel the program is more engineer based and not Editor based - meaning it's not a user-friendly app. Perfect example is getting playback on a second monitor - I have to plug in specific formula? This should simple just like in Premiere...

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Irvine, California

Return to posts index

Lin Sebastian Kayser
on May 9, 2012 at 10:37:38 am

While I agree that the setting for dual monitors is a bit quirky, I don't think that this is a good example of SpeedGrade's general UI.

Most people, once they invested an hour or so, find the UI for grading intuitive. If you are familiar with Photoshop, the layer based approach should be very easy to grasp.

I do agree that the documentation at this time is basic. That's what you get, when you come late to the party.

Lin

Lin Sebastian Kayser - Adobe SpeedGrade Engineering Director - Founder of IRIDAS

Return to posts index

Mike Molenda
on May 8, 2012 at 1:13:35 pm

I'd certainly like to hear other opinions on SpeedGrade, particularly from experienced colorists. Right now I feel like the biggest omission is the SORE lack of any sort of batch output.

So if I'm grading a finished sequence, there's no way to keep the structure of my cut intact after grading. From what I understand it comes out as a single video. Never mind adding handles to the clips.

Or if I'm doing first light technical grades on dailies, I've got to wait until the previous one is rendered before I can grade the next?

I feel like I should be mistaken on this, and I hope someone can prove me wrong. If not, it's a high priority request for when they open the SpeedGrade wish list!

I do like the interface, I feel like I was able to get to a point where I could use it quickly and comfortably after just a few hours of screwing around. I also like that it seems they made several mouse/keyboard/tablet accommodations for graders without access to a control surface. They're not perfect, but it's nice to know they're thinking of such things.

Return to posts index

Lin Sebastian Kayser
on May 8, 2012 at 2:56:17 pm

Hi Mike,

You can simply use metadata as part of your file and folder structure. There is an "M" button that opens up a tree of metadata fields. Simply insert elements of your file's source path to preserve your original file/folder structure (or create a new one).

For example

{PathElement.2}/{PathElement.1}/{PathElement.0}

Will create files in subfolders using the original file and two subfolder names, for example.

More info on the old IRIDAS help page at:

http://doc.iridas.com/index.php/Advanced_Output_File_Name_Specification_for...

Hope this helps,
Lin

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on May 8, 2012 at 5:56:43 pm

[Lin Sebastian Kayser] "More info on the old IRIDAS help page at: "

I found this to be a big issue. You need to get a comprehensive PDF for the Adobe versus up fast. I'm finding the old OnSet and NX PDFs way more helpful than the videos at Adobe. They are good introductions, but something more in-depth would be welcome, like a real user guide (manual).

In playing with it the past couple of days, I find that it's very easy to miss a lot of the power. There is no top menu bar and few internal menus. More icons, tabs and nothing contextual, like right mouse-click functions. As a result, I think a lot of folks are going to look at it, not understand it and move on, which would be a shame.

Comparing SG to Color to Resolve.... SG is missing curves, user-drawn shape masks, tracking and an effects node tree (like Color). That being said, in the hands of just about anyone moderately familiar with how grading systems tend to work, they will find that there are very few grading challenges that can't be done in SG.

Some SG plusses over the others - better UI design for actual grading. Multiple viewers for comparing and matching shots. Fast application of grades from one clip to the next. Photoshop-style grading layers per clip and for parts or all of an entire track. Grading controls break out four groups: shadows, mids, highs, overall, plus things like color temp and tint controls.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on May 9, 2012 at 4:07:33 am

[Oliver Peters] ".. SG is missing curves, user-drawn shape masks, tracking and an effects node tree (like Color)"

SG has shape tracking and it's layer based so I don't think it's missing nodes.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on May 9, 2012 at 6:57:52 pm

[Tero Ahlfors] "it's layer based so I don't think it's missing nodes."

I think you misunderstood my comment. When I said "node" in my post I was talking about node-tree compositing using Color's ColorFX room. This applies filters as a series of nodes. This is not nodes, like Resolve calls them, where they are using the term to refer to secondaries and masks.

Color has (had) a unique API for 3rd-party filter plug-ins. I don't believe any other color correction system has that, except Scratch, Lustre or Pablo. Certainly not Resolve or SpeedGrade.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Mike Molenda
on May 8, 2012 at 10:51:35 pm

Ha, success! Never would have thought of that. Thank you sir.

Return to posts index

Mike Molenda
on May 8, 2012 at 11:16:22 pm

Whoops, should clear up a misconception here. I had heard that SpeedGrade, by default, rendered your entire project out to a single, sequence-long file. Not true. Outputs each graded clip separately, regardless of the metadata you choose to include in the file/path names.

Also, Oliver, there are indeed custom masks and tracking in SpeedGrade. There's an "add point" button in the Mask tab. You add your points, and then can select and convert to Bezier control points. Not as intuitive as, say, a Pen Tool, but it is there.

We're straying a little far off topic. When does the SpeedGrade forum open?

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on May 8, 2012 at 3:49:01 pm

you sure?

doesn't it look pretty military grade here?

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/cs6-creative-cloud-feature-tour-for-video/whats-n...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]