FORUMS: list search recent posts

Interesting - NOW Apple wants our opinion on FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Field
Interesting - NOW Apple wants our opinion on FCP
on May 4, 2012 at 12:10:13 pm

A colleague received this via email - a survey asking - What do you think of Final Cut Pro? Had Apple only asked the folks on this forum before FCP X - they'd still be the leading, gushed over NLE and this forum probably wouldn't exist

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
Re: Interesting - NOW Apple wants our opinion on FCP
on May 4, 2012 at 12:30:44 pm

Survey sample question:

13) In using the Magnetic Timeline, do you find it to be:
a) too magnetic
b) not magnetic enough
c) needs a soundFX to know you're approaching the magnetic area
d) needs an animated magnetism effect to show you're approaching the magnetic area
e) would prefer the software analyze the shots and determine the best edit for me
f) you know best anyway, so just answer the survey for me, thanks

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on May 4, 2012 at 12:54:31 pm

I'll have c) with extra d)

I want to hear a high pitched whine as clip starts to suck magnetically together the closer I bring them - maybe a metallic **CLANG** every time they snap together.

Also I think we should really have a tiny shower of sparks effect when you pull two clips apart?

oh baby, mmm. I'm getting a little excited - Apple need to rock this right up to the next level.

thinking about it - the filmstrips could animate like a flipbook you know?

annnnd the colourboard could cycle through the hue wheel - give a kind of soothing colour glow up in the top right there.

the only other thing is that the video lozenges need that fake glass effect you get on app icons in iOS?
I'm actually kind of surprised they missed out on that one.

Finally, and I think we all know this one is coming - when the render ends - you get the iOS message received audio trill.

BOOM. JOB DONE. 22ND CENTURY SOFTWARE - IN YOUR TREMBLING HANDS.

;)

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos
http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on May 4, 2012 at 1:18:35 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "Also I think we should really have a tiny shower of sparks effect when you pull two clips apart?"

Yes please

Steve Connor
"FCPX Professional"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on May 4, 2012 at 1:30:09 pm

Clearly you are not taking this with the seriousness this demands!

Has anyone else received this survey?

My friend did - I didn't so I don't know what the real questions are (but a whoosh or clang for magnetism would be WAY cool)

Interesting that Apple would, just now, start eliciting opinions. Are they serious about fixing the shortcomings or running scared with Smoke, PP CS6 and others grabbing their formerly satisfied customers?

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions
N. Bethesda, Maryland 20852

Return to posts index

Thomas Frank
on May 4, 2012 at 2:19:23 pm

On that email, that was some fishing thing that got killed real quick.

No just joking, yes indeed I received the Email and also completed the Survey. Give a chance to let Apple now what we want.
Color Wheel please, more enhancements and maybe some more control in the color correction like Alpha masks! :)

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on May 4, 2012 at 2:26:26 pm

You got me! I did the whole "No! What?!" routine in my head before scrolling down. The survey was just buggy enough as I was taking it that I thought it might be a possibility.

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on May 4, 2012 at 2:41:40 pm

I got it as well...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Bruce Tokars
on May 5, 2012 at 9:06:14 am

I got it, too. Filled it out carefully. Told them I was an unhappy camper.

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on May 4, 2012 at 2:33:59 pm

[Andy Field] "Had Apple only asked the folks on this forum before FCP X - they'd still be the leading, gushed over NLE and this forum probably wouldn't exist"

You've created a paradox!

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on May 4, 2012 at 2:37:15 pm

[Andrew Richards] "[Andy Field] "Had Apple only asked the folks on this forum before FCP X - they'd still be the leading, gushed over NLE and this forum probably wouldn't exist"

You've created a paradox!"

Not in the Fringe world. See, you take Walter's machine, and you...

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on May 4, 2012 at 2:54:48 pm

Great - now I'll just hop in the time machine and kill all the 20th Century villains.....

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions
N. Bethesda, Maryland 20852

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on May 4, 2012 at 3:40:49 pm

Now, now. THAT is Doctor Who land.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 4, 2012 at 3:03:38 pm

[Chris Harlan] "Not in the Fringe world. See, you take Walter's machine, and you..."

In Fringe world, my machine is a 2012 iMac Pro, and I have a goatee. Here in the real world, I'm rocking HPs alongside my Macs, and I'm clean-shaven.

I'll stay here in the real world, thank you very much.

Or perhaps you were referring to a different Walter, with a different kind of machine altogether...

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on May 4, 2012 at 3:39:20 pm

[Walter Soyka] "Or perhaps you were referring to a different Walter, with a different kind of machine altogether..."

Ah! Walter is the scientist in Fringe who invents the machine that is able to bridge the alternate Universes. Though, come to think of it, you could definitely be one of the many Walternates (various Walters in various Universes.) You'd have to be a flashback to a young one, though.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 4, 2012 at 4:19:46 pm

I'm enjoying the sci-fi digression, but as a TV station marketing guy who just happens to do a little editing on the side, I'm more interested in what Apple wants to know.

Are they asking substantive questions where editors get to speak their minds and offer suggestions? That could prove useful.

On the other hand, the questions could be like this imaginary example:
How much do you love the magnetic timeline?
A) Can't live without it
B) Really think it's great
C) It's pretty nice
D) It's okay

The Apple marketing weasels would then be able to say, "The responses range from 'It's okay' to 'Can't live without it'. We made the right decision, see?"
That isn't very useful, is it?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on May 4, 2012 at 4:40:25 pm

They asked some of the questions we ask here. Things like do you ever use an EDL, and how often? What other programs did/do you use? What other NLEs? What do you like about FCP 7? What do/don't you like about X? They wanted these things listed and detailed. There was a lot of emphasis on this. Other than the questionnaire was buggy, and re-looped a few times, I'd say it was good faith effort to illicit data and not build up faux statistics. I found it kind of encouraging.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 4, 2012 at 4:56:34 pm

[Chris Harlan] "I'd say it was good faith effort to [e]licit data and not build up faux statistics. I found it kind of encouraging."

Based on your description, I'd agree.

But there's still the issue of timing: why now? You ask such questions before the software's in the can, not after.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 4, 2012 at 5:07:30 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "But there's still the issue of timing: why now? You ask such questions before the software's in the can, not after."

My speculation follows:

Because there is no way shape or from that anyone would have picked to have FCPX look and act like it is now, and I'm sure in the FCPX wing of Cupertino (or whatever it is) that ship had sailed.

With this information, Apple now wants to know what people want in the application.

I think it's been proved you can do a lot with it, even though it doesn't have tracks, and when I say a lot, I mean that you can interchange with applications.

Whatever. I say, why not now? This seems rather unprecedented, but who knows what the hell it really means.

Carry on, Apple.

In the survey, was there anything about Mac hardware?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on May 4, 2012 at 5:14:38 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Whatever. I say, why not now? This seems rather unprecedented, but who knows what the hell it really means.

Carry on, Apple.

In the survey, was there anything about Mac hardware?
"

I agree. And, yes there was. They seemed particularly interested in what kind of machines you ran X, 7 or other NLEs on, down to wanting to know A) what Apple stuff you owned, B) what you edited on, and C) what you "primarily" edited on.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 4, 2012 at 5:15:02 pm

[Chris Harlan] "They seemed particularly interested in what kind of machines you ran X, 7 or other NLEs on, down to wanting to know A) what Apple stuff you owned, B) what you edited on, and C) what you "primarily" edited on."

Hmm

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on May 4, 2012 at 5:16:39 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "[Chris Harlan] "They seemed particularly interested in what kind of machines you ran X, 7 or other NLEs on, down to wanting to know A) what Apple stuff you owned, B) what you edited on, and C) what you "primarily" edited on."

Hmm"

Yeah. Of course, the Mac Pro wasn't included in the list.

Just kidding.

Return to posts index

Thomas Frank
on May 4, 2012 at 6:45:34 pm

[Chris Harlan] "Yeah. Of course, the Mac Pro wasn't included in the list."

YES it was! In fact it came up couple times, during the FCPX part and in the Motion part.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on May 4, 2012 at 5:09:52 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "But there's still the issue of timing: why now? You ask such questions before the software's in the can, not after.
"

I'm guessing they're asking themselves some questions, as well. I remember one of the survey questions being about why you are not using X and if it has something to do with things you've heard about it. I'm guessing they are having some internal struggle over X's mixed reception and are trying to find some common ground from which to proceed.

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on May 4, 2012 at 7:01:25 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "On the other hand, the questions could be like this imaginary example:
How much do you love the magnetic timeline?
A) Can't live without it
B) Really think it's great
C) It's pretty nice
D) It's okay"

Colbert-style survey:

Final Cut Pro X: great NLE or greatest NLE?

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 4, 2012 at 4:32:46 pm

[Chris Harlan] "Ah! Walter is the scientist in Fringe who invents the machine that is able to bridge the alternate Universes. Though, come to think of it, you could definitely be one of the many Walternates (various Walters in various Universes.) You'd have to be a flashback to a young one, though."

I've seen the show -- I just think my wink and nudge didn't come across on the forum.

I do look good in flashback, but should we really assume that time is absolute across all alternate universes? I might be a current Walternate, rippled forward in magnetic time.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on May 4, 2012 at 4:45:31 pm

[Walter Soyka] "I might be a current Walternate, rippled forward in magnetic time."

Hopefully you are one of the Walters who has his brains intact! Is it possible that X was developed over "there" and brought over "here?" And if so, is it about to be weaponized?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 4, 2012 at 6:27:38 pm

[Chris Harlan] "Is it possible that X was developed over "there" and brought over "here?" And if so, is it about to be weaponized?"

Judging from some of the back-and-forth a few threads down, it already has been.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 4, 2012 at 3:19:42 pm

Since I won't be asked to take this survey, here are my two questions for Apple:

1) Can I see the questions you're asking?

2) Why did you pick this particular time to ask them?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 4, 2012 at 4:25:30 pm

What does the survey ask?

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on May 4, 2012 at 4:52:52 pm

Did anyone that downloaded it, and then asked for your money back get a survey?

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on May 4, 2012 at 5:01:23 pm

[Scott Sheriff] "Did anyone that downloaded it, and then asked for your money back get a survey?
"

Yes. That happened with me. But I also decided to try the 30 Day trial, so that may have triggered it. Weirdly, I've since tried to pay for it, but have not found a way.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on May 4, 2012 at 6:45:38 pm

I got the survey yesterday, too. My hands were sore after typing so much. Favorite thing I said was "We don't produce thumbnails, so why do we have to edit with them?"

I made comments about needing real tracks for audio, dual viewers, deck control, frame accurate external monitoring (with no delay, etc), and a more customizable interface overall. Oh yeah, and a default 'magnetic timeline off' preference. I explained that sometimes you don't want your whole sequence timing to slip off, especially when you're editing 30 second spots. I also mentioned the need to fully separate projects (or events, ugh) so that competing clients don't accidentally see each other's work. Which reminds me, I mentioned my annoyance with the events/projects name change, because it IS annoying. I also mentioned the need to not rely on 3rd parties to fill in things like opening old projects, because if Apple updates FCPX it could break functionality until the 3rd party catches up, which could be disastrous in a high pressure environment.

I think everybody's covered it, but lots of hardware questions, lots of 'what else do you own', 'what do you do', 'what have you used' questions. I feel like there's some renewed interest in getting FCPX mainstream in our world, not just creative enthusiasts. Making a reach, I'd suspect there's a new mac pro coming.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Thomas Frank
on May 4, 2012 at 6:58:30 pm

That is all there with the separate projects and the same with functionality you mention in Timeline.
Keep the A and P key in memory. I kinda agreed about the Interface but after working with Shake, Nuke but I know Smoke has this to. I like the static interface but option are good to have right.
From the survey it seems they are not wanting to change FCPX as it is today but more enhanced it and I think we should use this option.
Don't complain about difference FCPX and FCP7 but more give more enhancement.

P.S. what you mean Thumbnails? Premiere was rolling with this for years no complains from that end... ;)

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on May 4, 2012 at 7:09:20 pm

I mean putting thumbnails where a preview viewer would go for ins/out/etc. I don't necessarily want a tabbed interface or breakout panels, but a bit more control over where things go, what buttons are visible, etc can't hurt.
I can complain about anything I want - and usually do! :)

Return to posts index

Don Walker
on May 4, 2012 at 7:23:49 pm

Very hurt that I didn't get a survey....... I think I'll cry now. I do take a little bit of solace in the fact Jeremy didn't get one either. I wonder if Walter Biscardi did?

don walker
texarkana, texas

John 3:16

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 4, 2012 at 7:29:19 pm

[Don Walker] "Very hurt that I didn't get a survey....... I think I'll cry now. I do take a little bit of solace in the fact Jeremy didn't get one either. I wonder if Walter Biscardi did?"

I wonder if it's because I always click the "don't send me anything" buttons when I enter my email into websites/money laundering facilities.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on May 4, 2012 at 7:35:39 pm

I think it's based on the quality of work.

That's what I'm telling myself anyways!

Return to posts index

Don Walker
on May 4, 2012 at 7:44:47 pm

[John Davidson] "I think it's based on the quality of work."
Yeah.... that's what I was afraid of.

don walker
texarkana, texas

John 3:16

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on May 4, 2012 at 7:46:21 pm

Hah!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 5, 2012 at 2:06:15 am

I didn't get the survey either . . . and I like junk mail. ;)
Of course maybe an Apple employee read this forum and some of us have already answered all their questions.

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on May 5, 2012 at 4:32:57 am

No survey here... and I've been using FCPX exclusively since last September.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on May 4, 2012 at 8:14:14 pm

[Don Walker] "Very hurt that I didn't get a survey....... I think I'll cry now. I do take a little bit of solace in the fact Jeremy didn't get one either. I wonder if Walter Biscardi did?"

Don, I'd hold off on that. It may very well be that the survey was just the last bit targeting data needed to ascertain where, exactly, to send the Cruise missiles.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 7, 2012 at 12:17:43 am

I didn't get one either. I used to be in their good graces...before FCX came along. I think I bad mouthed them too much.

I did try to use it for 4 days. Not my bag. But no one at Apple seems to care what I think.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Thomas Frank
on May 7, 2012 at 5:24:26 am

Since Final Cut Express?

I would check the Spam and give it some time. My was in Spam.

Yes, the survey is linked to each individual.
It was mainly about FInal Cut Pro X, Motion, Hardware and what you like and don't like.
As mentioned I was more for enhancement then changing everything again. As soon you know what you are doing it not that bad. I compared it to Shake and After Effects.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on May 7, 2012 at 6:06:38 am

[Shane Ross] "I didn't get one either. "

I pretty sure it was something that was set off by downloading the trial version.

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on May 7, 2012 at 1:47:59 pm

"Chris Harlan- I pretty sure it was something that was set off by downloading the trial version."

Nope, I got it and hadn't downloaded the trial (sorry Shane).

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on May 7, 2012 at 7:09:55 pm

[David Eaks] ""Chris Harlan- I pretty sure it was something that was set off by downloading the trial version."

Nope, I got it and hadn't downloaded the trial (sorry Shane).
"

Then its just totally random. Or a trap.

Return to posts index

Thomas Frank
on May 7, 2012 at 7:10:51 pm

Its a trap!

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on May 4, 2012 at 10:16:49 pm

[John Davidson] "I explained that sometimes you don't want your whole sequence timing to slip off, especially when you're editing 30 second spots."

Use the letter "P." It turns off the magnetism.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on May 4, 2012 at 11:11:21 pm

Yep. That's the solution and it's been repeated often. I honestly rarely even touch FCPX because it becomes so massively annoying and we can't use it with our clients yet. It's like having a flying car, but it's illegal to fly it, therefore you never learn how.

Just playing with it now I somehow got this blank second window between the timeline monitor (or whatever it's called) and my clips window. It was blank and there was no way to get rid of it without 'reverting to original layout'. That's the kind of thing that drives people crazy. A little 'x' on the top right or left of things like the inspector to make it go away is important.

It's great for a lot of people, but not us - not yet.

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on May 5, 2012 at 1:40:33 pm

My advice for apple:

keep FCPX as it is and start a serious FCP8 and studio 3.
Don't forget a new mac pro with thunderbold and 16 core.

Rainer

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on May 6, 2012 at 9:18:45 pm

I'm not saying you gotta like 'cause I don't care what you think. I do care about facts though. Some people want to turn off Magnetism, then hit letter "P" and it turns off magnetism. Then they don't like that either. It really is hilarious.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on May 6, 2012 at 9:36:32 pm

Let's say you're working on a show with 6 different editors. All the editors know to hit p to turn of magnetism. You time the show out with the network accordingly, it's going through all approvals, it's virtually ready to ship. Network traffic has timed the show out perfectly, logs for breaks are created, we're all lined up to ship. Then talent makes a request to change out a scene or a shot to something more flattering. It's a big deal and the network wants to accommodate, but you only have an editor who hasn't touched the project before. He hops on, doesn't get the p right, changes the timing of the by 20 seconds, the producer doesn't catch it, and all hell breaks loose.

Magnetism is an additional caveat to be wary of. A hard 'off' for it isn't that much to ask.

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on May 5, 2012 at 1:40:16 pm

I got the survey and completed it. Within the first several questions I was feeling rather encouraged... Apple really does care about "us". I thought this survey would be perfect to post on CreativeCOW (and I mentioned that in my comments), you guys think it is OK to post the link to the survey? I couldn't find anything in the privacy policy or legal page that would lead me to believe that I can't share it.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on May 5, 2012 at 3:26:21 pm

[David Eaks] " you guys think it is OK to post the link to the survey? I couldn't find anything in the privacy policy or legal page that would lead me to believe that I can't share it."

Go for it. As noted by several here, the folks at Apple aren't averse to getting in touch now and again. I'm sure that someone will hear from them if they have a problem with this.

Thanks,
Tim

Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine
Twitter: timdoubleyou

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on May 5, 2012 at 3:32:13 pm

Alright... (un)abandon hope, all ye who enter here-

https://surveys3.advanis.ca/fcp2012?u=286804388

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on May 5, 2012 at 3:48:52 pm

[David Eaks] "Alright... (un)abandon hope, all ye who enter here-

https://surveys3.advanis.ca/fcp2012?u=286804388"

Doesn't work, it's on a user only basis by the look of it

Steve Connor
"FCPX Professional"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on May 5, 2012 at 3:58:25 pm

Hmmm, yeah I just tried it again and on the second page I get "user has already completed this survey". I guess it's smart of them, otherwise people who dont even own the software/hardware could take the survey. Must be linked with Apple ID. Dang.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]