FORUMS: list search recent posts

Let's not be so hasty

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chip Whiting
Let's not be so hasty
on Jun 22, 2011 at 3:45:46 am

That being said... wow, this was unexpected for me. As an early adopter of FCP (V1.0 in Summer of 1999) I was literally one of the first to buy it. It came recommended from the local guy at the mac store in Eugene oregon. A that time we were considering about everything but FCP. After we bought it, boy did people tell us that we made a mistake and we should've went with media 100. I learned it pretty well and even was the technical editor for the book "Final Cut Pro 3-The Complete Reference" published my McGraw Hill. No, I'm not tooting my own horn, I'm just simply listing my experience with FCP. It's grown a ton between FCP 1.0 and 7, but generally the layout is the same, it's just a little more polished now and has way more bells and whistles.

Then comes "X".... A from the ground up all new FCP, that doesn't resemble FCP in the least. I'm all for change for the better and I realize the old FCP is comfortable in its familiarity, so I'm going to give this new version a few months before I really draw any hard conclusions. There are things I do like about it so far, background rendering, the ingestion of media, the way it uses filtering with realtime previews, that's all cool, but I've honestly just scratched the surface. I'm concerned that my Blackmagic card that I use to run my client monitors won't work for a while... if ever. That's a big one for me. That's kind of important. I rarely use tape of any kind anymore, it's all digital delivery these days for me, so that's not an issue for me.

The bottom line is that I can't conclude anything yet. Am I going to use X right away... no, except for training myself. Am I staying with 7 for the next few months... yes, It works with my client setup. I'm going to give it a shot and try to be open minded about the new interface and a new way of doing pretty much everything. If in that time, It just doesn't work for me, I'll look into AVID, Premiere, Vegas or any other NLE available at the time. Maybe it'll be the equivalent to the next FCP 1.0?

Chip Whiting
99 Productions LLC
541-343-0099

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]