FORUMS: list search recent posts

Red Guys hackintoshing an hp

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>

Tim Wilson
Re: Red Guys hackintoshing an hp
on May 2, 2012 at 6:24:53 pm

I haven't posted the NAB overview that Mac zealot Bob Zelin wrote for us, but he says that the HP Z820 is the machine Apple should build, and he knows they never will. Even if Apple releases another Mac Pro (and I think they will), the HP Z820 is going to be a better beast.

Best of both worlds for some Mac die-hards. Your favorite OS on a beast of a box.

Not that we would ever endorse software usages outside the End User License Agreement. That would just be wrong.

Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine
Twitter: timdoubleyou

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on May 2, 2012 at 6:41:27 pm

[Tim Wilson] "if Apple releases another Mac Pro (and I think they will"

is that a hint or a guess, or can you say.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Richard Cardonna
Check these numbers
on May 2, 2012 at 7:04:02 pm

I'm trying with Joe, some test renders with its sandy bridge 32 core on windows 7 64bit platform.

for example, rendering red epic 4:23 clip 5k down 1080p h264. with REDCINE-X -1h 12 min, with Adobe premeire CS6 about 5 minutes. impressive.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on May 2, 2012 at 8:01:00 pm

[Herb Sevush] "[Tim Wilson] "if Apple releases another Mac Pro (and I think they will"

is that a hint or a guess, or can you say."

I can say, because it's a guess. :-)

Maybe they've got the next form factor ready to go. The HP Z1 shows that you can pack an awful lot of muscle into an iMac-ish shape, with specs that in some cases compare favorably to a Mac Pro. (Obviously not in every way. I'm just saying....). In that case (haha), let 'er rip.

The thing is, it's been a long time since there's been a reallllly new Mac Pro. Same form factor for a while now, just adding new components as they become available. Plenty of people smarter than me have pointed to new Intel components, and better graphics support from a whole lot of companies, for both GL and CL.

So why not another turn of the crank? Ship some configs with faster/bigger storage, more/faster RAM, faster processors, new IO, better graphics, and buy another 2+ years while the Thunderbolt/iMac-ish/MacBook-ish ecosystem keeps building out, until people say "Who the hell needs a Mac Pro anymore? I can do more with my new Apple (fill in the blank) than my (insert age) Mac Pro anyway."

It just doesn't seem that hard to me for Apple to have it both ways for a little longer: easy manufacturing, easy money. Nothing to explain to customers except, "It's new. It's more powerful. Pay up, suckas."

My general rule of thumb for Apple predictions, though: no matter what you say, you're WRONG. They have a pretty remarkable record for making every pundit look like an idiot most of the time. Which also doesn't seem that hard to me.

Tim Wilson
Creative COW Magazine

Return to posts index

Jim Giberti
on May 2, 2012 at 8:08:21 pm

I fully expect a 30" iMac Pro with 64GB RAM capacity and 3 TB ports.

I don't know why I fully expect it, but I do.

Return to posts index

Robert d'Alexis
on May 2, 2012 at 11:09:18 pm

"Even if Apple releases another Mac Pro (and I think they will), the HP Z820 is going to be a better beast."

Would you care to amplify that remark, Tim? :-)

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on May 2, 2012 at 11:46:13 pm

[Robert d'Alexis] ""Even if Apple releases another Mac Pro (and I think they will), the HP Z820 is going to be a better beast."

Would you care to amplify that remark, Tim? :-)"

I amplified my thinking about another Mac Pro above -- dang, it WAS this forum right? Not another one?

re: the HP Z820's beastitude, nothing fancy. Again, jumping off from my assumption that Apple will keep the same case....more card slots, more places to put bigger drives, better graphics support (Apple has NEVER been willing to step past second-class citizenry for graphics; I don't see that changing), twice as many RAM slots, etc. etc.

And frankly, a prettier interior. :-)

But seriously, have you checked out the tech specs line by line? From an infrastructure point of view, the Z820 is just badder. Yeah, yeah Thunderbolt. Whatevs. Too many other advantages to let something like that be a hangup. But me being a goofball aside, if that's make or break for you, it is...but is it? Your call.

Aside from the beastitutde, I'm also nuts about HP's next business day service. The fact is that most computers mostly work, but let's say a motherboard blows out -- HP has a replacement on your doorstep NBD, and you can replace it yourself with no tools.

I'll note that my wife just bought a consumer HP laptop in the thin, light ultrabook Air kinda class -- 3yr warranty that covers EVERYTHING, including pouring beer straight on the keyboard or smashing the screen (because you're mad about the beer I guess) with HOUSECALL SERVICE, for $20 less than AppleCare.

Seriously, when I think about stuff like that at both the consumer and workstation level, I can't think of a reason on earth anyone would buy a Mac.

Mac OS, blah blah blah. Whatevs. Robert, you asked me to talk about the relative merits of Apple and HP vis a vis the boxes they build. Other than that previous wiseass sentence, I have no comments on the relative merits of the OS experience.

DEFINITELY no comment on hackintoshing. It's just us, right? Just shooting the breeze.

Tim Wilson
Creative COW Magazine

Return to posts index

Robert d'Alexis
on May 3, 2012 at 12:52:55 am

Thank you for your insightful comments, Tim.
Actually, I am a PC guy through and through (always have been)and I don't care about Apple's software and hardware.
I was mostly curious as to why you said the Z820 would beat anything Apple came up with. I have a friend who is lusting after a Z820 and he has tasked me with gleaning as much information as I can about the machine.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on May 3, 2012 at 1:06:25 am

[Robert d'Alexis] "I was mostly curious as to why you said the Z820 would beat anything Apple came up with. I have a friend who is lusting after a Z820 and he has tasked me with gleaning as much information as I can about the machine."

Thanks for your generous response, but I don't want to get ahead of myself. I KNOW that the Z820 can be configured more muscularly than the current Mac Pro. I BELIEVE that this will still be the case if Apple releases another Mac Pro...since we don't know what such a thing might look like. But if it's based on the current one, then there's no question.

Since we're talking about hackintoshes and HPs, I think we're staying pretty well on topic...but if we go much further down the route of specifics, there's probably a better place to carry on the "is the Z820 the machine for me" conversation than this...assuming that there's anywhere better in the COW to talk about anything. LOL We can try the Windows Hardware forum, a much quieter place than this obviously, mostly because nobody's mad about anything. :-)

But hey, let's keep going here until we need to go there....

Tim Wilson
Creative COW Magazine

Return to posts index

Robert d'Alexis
on May 3, 2012 at 1:39:55 am

Thanks again for taking the time to respond, Tim.
I'll be only too pleased to translate your posts for my friend who doesn't speak English. Like me, he is a native speaker of French but hopefully your ready sense of humour won't get lost in translation. :-)

Return to posts index

Robert d'Alexis
on May 3, 2012 at 1:46:57 am

Thanks again for taking the time to respond, Tim.
I'll be only too pleased to translate your posts for my friend who doesn't speak good English.
Like me, he is a native speaker of French but hopefully your ready sense of humour won't get lost in translation. :-)

Return to posts index

al ellis
on May 3, 2012 at 1:01:51 am

the hp 3yr warranty is amazing, had a motherboard blow on a z800 we use on o.b's (so it gets kicked around a fair bit)next day on site repair no quibble, no charge. Similarly a machine bought in the uk but being used in brazil was replced next day after a power surge on an o.b. just read out the model no and ref no. and they come worldwide...all of this included in the purchase price.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on May 3, 2012 at 1:42:31 am

The moronic test balloon of one rapidly-dispatched moron CEO notwithstanding, in case anyone has ever wondered what it would look like for a company get out of the gadget business to focus on its computer customers -- it looks kinda like this.

Tim Wilson
Creative COW Magazine

Return to posts index

Greg Andonian
on May 3, 2012 at 5:05:47 am

When I saw the title of this post, I immediately saw an image in my mind of a bunch of dudes with red skin tinkering with an HP tower. :)

But seriously though, that sounds really cool. It sounds a lot more appealing than the iMac Pro that Apple wants us to use...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]