FORUMS: list search recent posts

OT (or maybe not) - Harris to sell Broadcast Business

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Seeman
OT (or maybe not) - Harris to sell Broadcast Business
on May 1, 2012 at 9:18:33 pm

Harris Will Sell Its Broadcast Business
http://www.tvtechnology.com/article/harris-will-sell-its-broadcast-business...
also
http://rbr.com/harris-to-sell-broadcast-unit/
and
http://blog.broadcastengineering.com/blog-opinions/2012/05/01/citing-lacklu...

What interesting times we live in.

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
Re: OT (or maybe not) - Harris to sell Broadcast Business
on May 1, 2012 at 9:46:13 pm

I was always struck by what looked like bloat at their NAB booth every year. A veritable sea of sales suits.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 2, 2012 at 4:21:32 am

SCRI lists the broadcast products and raises a couple of questions and simplifies the explanation a bit.
http://scri.com/harris-pulls-the-plug-on-broadcast-division/

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on May 2, 2012 at 11:08:51 am

Maybe Evertz buys them to consolidate their market? Or Miranda? This kind of thing seems a bit far afield for Mr. Petty, but you never know.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 2, 2012 at 2:31:52 pm

Interesting that it seems your post is the first one that even alludes to the implications to the much vaunted place "Broadcast Professional" holds in much of the arguments on this list.

When big gamers bow out of what was once their brand identity (at least as I see it - Harris = Broadcast) it really does mean something. Possibly, a consolidation of hardware as market conditions change. Demand declines at least relative to other opportunities.

Again it doesn't mean there's a decline in the size and needs of the broadcast industry, it's just that the expansion in other forms of content creation and distribution results in broadcast being a smaller niche with much less growth opportunity.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on May 2, 2012 at 5:18:47 pm

For companies that make products for the backbone of broadcast delivery I certainly think that future growth really is not in that area but in non-broadcast or IP-based delivery.

That's different though than 'broadcast quality' content (and I use the term loosely). I mean, there is still very high demand for the content that is being broadcast via OTA signals, cable, etc., but people want more flexibly in how, when and where they watch the content. As a content creator, as an editor, I'm happy to have more distribution methods available and I'm not worried that broadcast/cable/satellite isn't the only delivery method in town anymore.

Slightly OT, this is one reason why I wonder what the future holds for Blackmagic and why I question the suggestions that BM buy Avid. I feel like that would be a lateral move for Avid as they would still be tied to specific, niche hardware which is something that is becoming a bit of an albatross around their neck. Unless of course BM starts a whole new line of successful cameras and then MC will just come as part of the bundle!

-Andrew

2.9 GHz 8-core (4,1), FCP 7.0.3, 10.6.6
Blackmagic Multibridge Eclipse (7.9.5)

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 2, 2012 at 5:41:22 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "Slightly OT, this is one reason why I wonder what the future holds for Blackmagic and why I question the suggestions that BM buy Avid."

I look at what Blackmagic has done with Resolve and think that, given they keep expanding into a complete and complimentary end to end workflow, that an NLE might be something they'd add to their product kit.
Of course BM is a hardware company as well but their direction with hardware seems to be how to get the best possible quality for the lowest possible price. That seems to be the opposite of Avid (unless you include M-Audio and such). I could imagine BM doing this with ProTools as well. Imagine if they did to ProTools hardware what they've done to Terenex.

Of course Avid could simply do a significant restructure and make changes to their business model.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on May 3, 2012 at 7:10:29 am

[Craig Seeman] "I look at what Blackmagic has done with Resolve and think that, given they keep expanding into a complete and complimentary end to end workflow, that an NLE might be something they'd add to their product kit."

We interviewed Grant just before NAB, and he talked at some length about Teranex. When I asked him about maybe buying Avid, he changed the subject. :-) He spoke about his dissatisfaction as an Avid customer in the early 90s, and how that was part of what drove him to make inexpensive I/O hardware, as well as working with them in their new era of openness. He made it sound pretty far-fetched though.

A really fun interview, by the way. Especially if you've never heard Grant speak before, you're in for a real treat. Very opinionated, direct and witty. Even beyond the specifics of his company, you'll hear lots of great insights into the way he thinks and his vision for the industry, from his perspective as a former post and broadcast engineer into Blackmagic. ("Moving from post-production to manufacturing, I've been really shocked! There are some horrible people in this place!")

Even knowing how aggressively he moves, seeing a $90,000 converter drop to $2995 in 6 months -- AND adding features and reducing size --is staggering. Turns out that the only people who could possibly have upstaged that story....are Blackmagic, with that dang camera!

Anyway, Grant's interview is here: "Grant Petty: We Want to Blow People's Minds."

Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine
Twitter: timdoubleyou

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on May 3, 2012 at 2:43:06 pm

Man, great interview! Love his take on the pyramid. Keep on disrupting, Mr. Petty!

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]