FORUMS: list search recent posts

Edit echo in fcp x

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Emil Sergel
Edit echo in fcp x
on Apr 27, 2012 at 10:06:04 am

I´ve been filming a lecture with a lavalier but also got the sound from the loudspeakers which creates a kind of an echo. Is there any easy way to get rid of this in fcp x?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Edit echo in fcp x
on Apr 27, 2012 at 3:09:43 pm

Two audio channels? Was lav feeding both or maybe shotgun was picking up reverb and you can kill that channel?
Echo/Reverb is generally not easy to remove even in a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW). The problem is the echos are generally the same frequency as the source sound so they a difficult to isolate. There are a number of tricks, not specific to FCPX but have a varying degree of effect.

This is one odd tip I've heard about.

Set up a mike right in front of one of your monitor speakers. Hang a damp dish towel over the speaker and re-record your audio. If the towel is too thick or too wet, you'll get crap, but if you play around you can actually lose quite a bit of echo as the weaker signal will be damped down-- to coin a phrase.

You'll want to get the monitor and mike as far away from the computer as you can get-- or even dump the audio to a cd and record from your stereo system. The fan noise will wreck the whole thing.

If you think about what the damp cloth is doing you can do this to some extent with a filter. Compressing the lower levels maybe. Basically it's trying to crush the weaker signals.

Return to posts index

jon smitherton
on Apr 28, 2012 at 3:01:53 am

Try this:
http://spl.info/software/microplugs/de-verb.html
Have used in FCP7 - should work in FCPX being an AU plug.
Works surprisingly well.

Jon

Return to posts index

Shei Hastings
on Nov 27, 2014 at 6:38:17 pm

De-Verb does not work. Am using the free trial and once a drag and drop the plugin over the clip the waveform disappears :(

"I dont believe in god...I believe in science"
Esqueleto
Nacho Libre

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 27, 2014 at 7:03:49 pm

Have you separated your audio and isolated the tracks?

If you apply it to a mixed signal, it's going to be far less effective than if you apply it to an iso track.

You also may find the the ISO lav track is perfectly fine by itself.

Good luck.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Shei Hastings
on Nov 27, 2014 at 7:07:51 pm

Hi thanks for the suggestion alas I have separated the tracks and still the same result..

Esqueleto
Nacho Libre

Return to posts index

Shei Hastings
on Nov 27, 2014 at 7:12:57 pm

I strongly suspect its because im running the free trial version, as when I select the EQ icon to bring up the plugin window, it states I need to activate it with a code, to run it.

Esqueleto
Nacho Libre

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 28, 2014 at 4:36:05 pm

Shel,

Might or might not be about using the demo software.

But regardless, if you're just doing a software tryout (your free demo version comment) then I strongly recommend that you avoid attempting to judge the general usefulness of X by trying to figure out how it function inside a traditional workflow that you may be currently familiar with.

In your instance, separating and/or isolating audio tracks can be done at various stages of an X workflow - some of them well in advance of the storyline. X has a pretty unique audio system since it accommodates both audio embedded in video files as one default - AND combines that with separate external audio handling in a fashion unlike traditional NLEs where the audio only shows up as "below the line" separate files.

FWIW

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]